Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] Bob Barker retiring

gameboy2000
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 2256

Level 1.02

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 06:57 PM #1 of 26
Bob Barker retiring

According to the CBS Daytime Price is Right website, Bob Barker will be retiring after this season of Price.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 07:01 PM #2 of 26
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Can no leader go untainted?!

Seriously, though, this makes me very sad. The Price is Right just won't be the same. This may mean its end. How could anyone fill his shoes? He deserves retirement. May he have happy days away from the spotlight.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 07:36 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 05:36 PM #3 of 26
Wait, this show is still on? Shocking.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 07:50 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 05:50 PM #4 of 26
For anybody not willing to navigate through all of the menus and other things on the CBS website, the article can be found here.

Well, everything must come to an end eventually, sadly. I remember the good ol' days when I watched the Price is Right and some college guy would wind up with a year's supply of Metamucil instead of that shiny, new car. [/reminisce]

Bob's retirement makes me wonder how they'll be able to find a suitable replacement for him.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 03:01 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 03:01 AM #5 of 26
Well, I would have to say after all these years, its time to call it quits. Its nice to know that he enjoyed doing it so much. I mean, at 83 years old, that is a long time doing a show, especially to that age. I wonder what he will do with himself when he retires in June.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 03:22 AM 1 #6 of 26
Probably die.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 03:26 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 03:26 AM #7 of 26
Yeah, funny you say that, because my roommate and I were talking about it, and I told him that he will probably die within 6 months of retiring. I mean, at that age with nothing else to really do.... you body kinda says "Its time to rest...."

FELIPE NO
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 03:55 AM #8 of 26
I suppose this is only a formality. It is amazing that he has went so long with the show and not stopped. I dunno if they will find a replacement...kinda like Alex Trabeck on Jeopardy! (which I suppose it will not be too long before he too announces his retirement). It's just hard to imagine. Furthermore, many of the people who DO watch the show, have watched it for many, many years (like my grandparents), and are sorta loyal to the show if nothing more but because Barker is there and brings about that feeling of a previous era.

My guess is they may try the Price is Right! for another year, then it will be cancelled. Ideally, they should just cancel it outright...with the final show having Barker having HIS name called, and HE taking a final spin at the big wheel...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Lene
Shameless Fangirl

Member 364

Level 4.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 08:10 PM #9 of 26
Originally Posted by The Wise Vivi
Yeah, funny you say that, because my roommate and I were talking about it, and I told him that he will probably die within 6 months of retiring. I mean, at that age with nothing else to really do.... you body kinda says "Its time to rest...."
That's what I was thinking when I had heard this news. I mean, you go from doing a show that ran 5 days a week to what at that age? Only downhill from there.

I hope they don't cancel the show though, even though it wouldn't be the same without him. It'd just be weird not having the show on. What would CBS even do with that timeslot anyways?

ETA: Somehow I think Jeopardy could continue with Alex Trebeck retiring, I'm not so sure why that is. Maybe because Bob Barker's host role was a little more engaging than Trebeck's

Last edited by Lene; Nov 5, 2006 at 08:12 PM.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 08:14 PM Local time: Nov 5, 2006, 05:14 PM #10 of 26
Aw. This kinda makes me sad.

bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 08:21 PM #11 of 26
The Price is Right has been a morning staple in our home for many years. When I was younger, I used to sit with my grandparents while they watched it sometimes. After they passed away, I still contined to watch it. Bob Barker IS The Price is Right. It'll be interesting to see who they end up replacing him with. Whoever it is, they won't be able to fill his shoes. It says in the article that he had been thinking about retiring for almost a decade. I'm glad he stuck with it though.

Congrats on the great career and the retirement.

Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 08:45 PM #12 of 26
Haha, I used to watch that show a lot during noon when I went home for lunch in high school. Even then he was stretching it for a long time. He's a TV game show legend. May he have a good retirement.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 02:34 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 12:34 PM #13 of 26
So the last episode is set to air on June 15. We got one more month left of the Barker. With 35 years of The Price is Right and 50 years of television in his repertoire (awesome word :3), one of TV's legends is finally done. I haven't watched the show for almost a year since I'm at work when it shows, but I've tuned into it when I had no morning class and I was in my apartment (so the last time I actually watched probably was about a year ago).

The Price Is Right segment on a recent episode of How I Met Your Mother though was, how would you say... "legen"-and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second part is-"dary!"

Good game, Bob. Good game.

waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 06:49 PM #14 of 26
I'm gonna miss Bob. This was one show that I've watched off and on my whole life and it was one that I could watch and play along with my family. Too bad Rod Roddy couldn't be here to this day because he was a big part of the show, maybe not as big as Bob but still, I miss hearing that voice "A new car!". I'll definitely be watching the specials that are on tonight and tomorrow night. Bob, we'll miss you. If I ever get any pets, I will spay or neuter them.

After Bob retires, I figure the Price is Right is as good as dead no matter who they get to replace Bob, but we'll see.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by SuperSonic; May 16, 2007 at 06:53 PM.
Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 02:02 AM #15 of 26
... The Price Is Right segment on a recent episode of How I Met Your Mother though was, how would you say... "legen"-and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second part is-"dary!" ...
Erm, do you know the episode # of it? >_>

IMO, and like many of you, TPIR won't be the same after Bob Barker retire. We'll missed you on the show. :/

FELIPE NO
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 09:40 AM Local time: May 17, 2007, 07:40 AM #16 of 26
Erm, do you know the episode # of it? >_>
It was episode number 42x or season 2 episode 20, depending on how you number them. I enjoyed it much.

Most amazing jew boots
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 01:35 PM Local time: May 17, 2007, 01:35 PM #17 of 26
My bet's on Ryan Seacrest for replacement.

Actually, I think Barker's retirement means that the show will likely see an overhaul in appearance and presentation -- maybe a little modernization in terms of the set. It was ok for it to be oldschool when Barker was there, because Barker is oldschool. But they sure aren't going to start calling Barker's Beauties by anything different -- it'd be too weird to have everything the same except for the new host. That's why I think they'll change more than just that. They persevered when Rod Roddy died.

<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 02:44 PM #18 of 26
Bob Barker's retirement is bittersweet It's a time to celebrate his great accomplishments, but it's also sad to see him go. It's just like when Johnny Carson retired from late night TV. Once you retires, I'll continue to watch the show to see how the new host does but it just won't be the same.

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 08:07 PM #19 of 26
Well I was surprised to see any games at all tonight. I thought it was just going to be a documentary, but nope...there were games. While I don't agree with the fact that 3 Strikes didn't make an appearance, I'm glad they put Plinko on there because that's their most popular game and it just didn't seem right to not be on the million dollar special last night.

How about the special guest that was on there tonight? None other than Adam Sandler himself after they showed the Happy Gilmore clip. That was priceless.

Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 11:27 PM #20 of 26
Thanks for the episode number nazpyro.

Oh, I think the Price is Right will end up like Family Feud: a new set like Guru said and in syndication... :/

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 08:59 AM #21 of 26
Well all, I am bringing this post back up before tomorrow (or today) is the big day for Bob Barker. People are supposedly camped out in hopes to get in for his last show. It is so strange to think that in about twelve hours, it will be done, Barker will have retired, and an era will be over. I wonder what is going through Barker's mind as he prepares for his last episode ever.

punkmaggit
Oh! I Feel it! I feel the Cosmos!

Member 4088

Level 9.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 02:23 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2007, 11:23 AM #22 of 26
The show airs on June 15th, so I'll definitely be watching it.

It's kind of a shame. I watched the show growing up and always thought that eventually I'd make it out there to get on the show with him hosting, but I guess not anymore. He's leaving gigantic shoes to fill.

Most amazing jew boots
What's all this?
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2007, 08:11 PM #23 of 26
Welp, that's it. Bob Barker is gone...unless they can't find a new host by the time the new season starts, then he's going to be substituting for a bit. Only thing that made me a little bit ticked is that they used Lucky Seven for a Corvette instead of 3 Strikes.

Ah well, happy retirement Bob. Now the Price is Right is going to go downhill from here.

FELIPE NO
Azingno
Carob Nut

Member 22663

Level 5.67

Jun 2007

Old Jun 17, 2007, 08:40 AM #24 of 26
Welp, that's it. Bob Barker is gone...unless they can't find a new host by the time the new season starts, then he's going to be substituting for a bit. Only thing that made me a little bit ticked is that they used Lucky Seven for a Corvette instead of 3 Strikes.

Ah well, happy retirement Bob. Now the Price is Right is going to go downhill from here.
Doesnt Bob Barker have any relatives that could host the show for him?

How ya doing, buddy?
Reznor
Good Chocobo

Member 336

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:15 PM #25 of 26
ETA: Somehow I think Jeopardy could continue with Alex Trebeck retiring, I'm not so sure why that is. Maybe because Bob Barker's host role was a little more engaging than Trebeck's
Sorry, but I think Trebeck retired the day he shaved his moustache.

Anybody disagree?

Didn't think so!

Bob Barker and the Price is Right... Oh God what a horrible horrible show that was.

Maybe they'll fill the timeslot with soap operas or something equally lame.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] Bob Barker retiring