Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Hi, noob upcoming anime fan here needs recommendations!
Closed Thread

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:50 PM #1 of 6
Hi, noob upcoming anime fan here needs recommendations!

Okay GFF's Animespot members, please help out an old member here.

My first anime was the movie, Nauticca, back in the 80s shown up on HBO or something like that. It had no "subtitles" or closed captioning then, but all the same, watching a female lead saving the world with her kinship with those large bugs worn on me for years. I loved it.

Next up was Akira, again, it had no closed captioning, but I watched it all the same. It was insane, intense, and I definitely enjoyed it.

Then Princess Mononoke, this movie had gotten me reeled in for more anime to watch. I had seen Kiki's Delivery Service as well... but it didn't spark that otaku in me like PM did. Beautiful music, plot, just everything. So I was looking forward to more...

I haven't watched much of the anime over the years with a few exceptions mentioned above, I am deaf and I usually skip espiodes shown on Adult Swim that had no closed captioning which is a shame (most of them didn't). So I really had no choice in choosing what to watch on CN or AS which probably is a GOOD thing now that I had read about all the awful dubbing that has been done on a lot of the anime series shown on Cartoon Network. I got interested in watching DBZ when it was at the peak of its craziness over here. It honestly repulsed me at first, bulging muscles is just nauseating to watch. But I did like how "crazy" or "out there" it can get. Its somewhat silly, but its good for the imagination.

Then I saw FLCL on CN, (I'm an wannabe artist) and thought this series was the most beautiful anime I had ever seen. At least the backdrop and the characters were just crystal crisp clean about it... I'm awfully curious about the rest of the anime shown on CN then. I managed to catch a few espiodes of Cowboy Bebop (thanks to Sass's love for Faye) and loved it.

So, fast forward til a few days ago. I finally managed to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. Lets just say... OMG, it was pretty advanced for its time! Its fucked up sure, but I just LOVED how far out and fucking twisted the plot went. It probably was shitting directing (as I saw on the last two epsiodes) but I didn't care... I enjoyed some parts of it, just mostly the EVAs and the ingeniuity of how each Angel has to be defeated and so on and so on.

I'm now a damn anime fan. I wanted more, to satisfy my kick for blood and gore and drama in between.

I had seen...

Beserk series
Kenshin OVAs
Azumanga series
NGE series and the two movies
Spirited Away
Wild Arms: Twlight Vemon
Half of Hakkenden (the 8 Dog Warriors)

Soon - Howl's Moving Castle
Soon - Castle in the Sky
Soon - Noir
Soon - Blue Gender

Now, mostly I just fucking love violence, blood, gore, and how fucked up (FUBAR) it can be. But yet at the same time, I enjoyed so much sweet anime like Spirited Away or Azumanga. But I loathe slapstick comedy, light to moderate as Azumanga is okay. I definitely need to get Cowboy Bebop series... once it becomes a boxset for sale on Best Buy that is...

Now, Sailordaravon, who's a not so big but definitely anime fan had seen quite a few, but haven't seen any anime that is good enough to buy over at Best Buy that he think that I would like. But then again, he wasn't sure enough (he didn't see enough anime of course) if I'd like that or not.

So that what brings us to here! Please, recommend me a few of great anime that are a MUST see or must buys! :1zhelp:

How ya doing, buddy?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:03 PM #2 of 6
You and I can relate with all blood and gory stuff in animes. which is why i label Akira as my favorite anime/movie in general of all time.

Lately the gory stuff hasn't been around the past years =/.. But if you want to buy something interesting. Buy Genshiken. All 3 dvds are out so that'll keep you busy til the second season comes out in october in japan (or i think it was this april)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:09 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 08:09 PM #3 of 6
If you want an anime with a really good story, I'd highly recommend the Twelve Kingdoms. For a synopsis and review, visit this thread -- Anime and Manga Recommendations.

Also, you might want to simply read that thread and post in there for getting recommendations.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:49 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 07:49 PM #4 of 6
Violent or messed-up anime, eh? Elfen Lied and Lain come to mind, respectively.

Also, whatever you do, don't start referring to yourself as an otaku...it doesn't mean what you probably think it does, and it's not a good thing at all. :P

Most amazing jew boots

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery

Last edited by Dhsu; Mar 24, 2006 at 08:51 PM.
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:08 PM #5 of 6
Elfen Lied sounds PERFECT for your tastes. I highly recommened Samurai Champloo. (Which is shown in AS, and the dub quality is actually VERY well done. Equal if not better to the Japanese IMO)

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:09 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 07:09 PM #6 of 6
Anime and Manga Recommendations.

That thread is there for a purpose. Got a series you want to recommend? Write about it there. Looking for recommendations? Look for one there. This thread is admittedly a little more well-thought-out than most, but in general we discourage these "about me" threads anyway.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Hi, noob upcoming anime fan here needs recommendations!