Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Question] Playing PAL games with a modded U.S. ps2

Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2007, 01:36 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2007, 11:36 AM #1 of 9
Playing PAL games with a modded U.S. ps2

I have a modded ps2 made in the U.S. and I have a vga adapter for the ps2 that allows me to play on my computer monitor. It is a flat screen lcd, and I checked the refresh rates, and 60 hz seems to be the lowest one. Is it possible for me to play PAL games without any problems? If not, what kinds of problems should I encounter?

Thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2007, 01:46 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2007, 01:46 PM #2 of 9
The monitor is likely to melt the wires and fry the insides of the PS2. Chances are the disk inside will also overheat and explode, so the door might shoot off and be a hazard.

Additional Spam:
Oh, and the power cord could fry, so your house may or may not burn down.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Lukage; Aug 7, 2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Aug 7, 2007, 02:43 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2007, 10:43 PM #3 of 9
I've no experience with playing consoles on monitors, but regarding the signal difference: if the display can't show 50Hz, you'll either get a distorted, skipping or black and white picture, or it'll show somewhat decently but part of the picture will be "outside the set", so to speak. A healthbar or something not visible, because of the larger resolution.

Since some/most PAL games feature an optional NTSC mode (ICO, Breath of Fire V, Rez etc), those should be playable once 60Hz is selected, but still a lot of games don't feature one (pretty much every PAL PS1 game, God of War, Final Fantasy XII), either opting instead for a good PAL conversion (God of War, MGS series and most other major Konami releases) or no effort at all, resulting in squished image, slower speed and framerate (FFX, Star Ocean 3). Those won't display well if your monitor/TV can't display 50Hz.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Aug 7, 2007 at 02:46 PM.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2007, 08:01 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2007, 02:01 PM #4 of 9
Given that almost every tv made in the last 6 years or so over here will read a 60hz signal, surely American tvs will take a 50hz one? You may well find out that your tv will play PAL just fine, especially if it's a widescreen with different aspect options.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:35 PM Local time: Aug 8, 2007, 10:35 AM #5 of 9
If you feel like using a blank DVD, you could burn the PAL game with the PAL to NTSC patch that's floating around out there. I used it for Knights of the Temple and it worked fine.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dizzy
The Latin Cockroach

Member 729

Level 16.74

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2007, 02:44 PM Local time: Aug 8, 2007, 04:44 PM #6 of 9
If you feel like using a blank DVD, you could burn the PAL game with the PAL to NTSC patch that's floating around out there. I used it for Knights of the Temple and it worked fine.
Yeah, I do the same. The problem is that the in-game cutscenes have the audio desync. It's really a pain in the ass specially if you are playing an rpg or something.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

| XBL: Dizzy4U | PSN: Dizzy4U |
| GFF ¡En Español! | My YouTube |
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:39 PM Local time: Aug 9, 2007, 01:39 PM #7 of 9
Given that almost every tv made in the last 6 years or so over here will read a 60hz signal, surely American tvs will take a 50hz one?
Except he's using a monitor.

Most PAL games these days support 60Hz anyway, and if your PS2 is modded there's no reason why you shouldn't first test by downloading an old PAL title which is only in 50Hz, or has an option that lets you change between them.

For example, Metal Slug 3 for PAL allows you to choose between 50Hz and 60Hz before starting the game.

How ya doing, buddy?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 02:06 AM Local time: Aug 9, 2007, 10:06 AM #8 of 9
For example, Metal Slug 3 for PAL allows you to choose between 50Hz and 60Hz before starting the game.
Metal Slug Anthology on the other hand doesn't.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 02:41 AM Local time: Aug 9, 2007, 05:41 PM #9 of 9
MSA on PS2 makes me cringe until my face eats itself, the massive border on the bottom of the screen is distracting. ;_; It's weird of Ignition NOT to include a 60Hz option, the Wii version has it apparently.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Question] Playing PAL games with a modded U.S. ps2