Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Would you put "Video gaming" as a hobby on your CV?
Yes 6 26.09%
No 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

[General Discussion] Curriculum Vitae

katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:51 AM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 06:51 PM #1 of 27
Curriculum Vitae

I wonder if you should put "video gaming" as your hobby on a Curriculum Vitae.

Would you do it or not?

It depends on what you're applying for. But I think I will put it in my CV (for chemical engineer) I'll say it strenghtens my concentration and awareness!!!

Many think that video gaming is bad. I can see why (bad school results, disclosure, unhealthy), but somehow I feel proud about it for the advantages (hand-eye coordination, concentration, knowledge, creativity => puzzles, imagination, basic computer/electronics knowledge, broadens your musical knowledge, stress reliever, excellent brain activity)...

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by katchum; Feb 12, 2007 at 11:59 AM.
28Link
Chocobo

Member 236

Level 11.58

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:51 PM #2 of 27
Wa? I really don't think it's a good idea to put it on you CV, unless the you are applying for some realy specific jobs, mabye like a game designing job or something similar. Otherwise, I think it's much like putting that you watch TV or movies, not very practical for CV in most cases.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 01:28 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 08:28 PM #3 of 27
Really? Hmmm, it's such a taboo nowadays...

But isn't it common that engineers play video games? Especially those Computer science engineers. Too bad I'm not majoring in computer science.

Maybe the man who does a conversation with me loves video games too. Nah, I don't think so. Maybe you're right. But watching movies isn't really the same, this one is more interactive. I should be honest too, if this is one of my hobbies? I think the man likes people who can see past taboos (hopefully).

We have to realize that video games are very important these days. It's not the 80's anymore. It's become a real hobby and people should accept it.

Why can I say I'm a pianist, and not I play video games? I know that being a pianist is a real advantage. I should say that playing the piano is my hobby because it's broadly accepted that playing the piano is a good hobby. I wonder why.

Okay if many people say no I'll reconsider...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by katchum; Feb 12, 2007 at 01:42 PM.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 01:39 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 08:39 PM #4 of 27
I think the hobbies section in CV is quite pointless in general, as if I have the right qualifications and experience for a job, it's nobody's business what I do in my free time.

However, either way, I can't think of any jobs outside of the game industry where listing video gaming as a hobby would be relevant. Certainly not in chemical engineering, are you kidding? The things that you mentioned (better coordination, creativity, etc.) can be named in another section (personal traits), as they don't have anything to do with videogame per se, really (at least not in most people's eyes).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 01:46 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 08:46 PM #5 of 27
I think hobbies section is very important, because it can give info about the person's way of life: like being in a band gives communication skills or team spirit. It also says that you don't always sit behind your books learning, but that you can find the time to do something else and still get good grades.

I've been to some application session and they immediately asked me what I do in the weekend????

I was speechless of astonishment.

PS: I have something out of the newspaper and it says that science has told us playing video games really does help brain activity and is good for your eyes in coordination/focus. (Reference: University of Rochester: Daphne Bavelier: http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=2764)

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by katchum; Feb 12, 2007 at 01:51 PM.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:16 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 12:16 PM #6 of 27
I have something out of the newspaper and it says that science has told us playing video games really does help brain activity and is good for your eyes in coordination/focus. (Reference: University of Rochester: Daphne Bavelier: http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=2764)

As nice as it is to share some positive light about developing gross and fine motor skills, I'm sure there are other activities that are generally better received and more commendable in the eyes of the general public, and to your average Joe employer.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

- What we all do best -
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:16 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 12:16 PM #7 of 27
Don't put it on your CV. ;_; If you actually somehow have room for hobbies and interests on your CV, maybe go for it, but even that's a reach. That section is truly optional, and you're better off putting something more pertinent. If they wanna know what you do on weekends and what your hobbies are, they'll ask you in an interview, which you'll more likely get in the first place from a CV not mentioning video gaming. ._.

But actually, yeah.... The first time I got a 4.0 semester in college, I had also clocked in 200+ hours of Final Fantasy XI in a single month, on top of much other gaming that semester. That semester was probably the most I gamed in school. But then I couldn't keep up the gaming, and consequently the GPA went down. I've effectively proven good gaming goes with good grades. =p

FELIPE NO
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:19 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 09:19 PM #8 of 27
I've attended a class of good CV making and they state that there should be a hobbies section. Too bad, I had to ask that man if I should put video gaming in it or not...

Sports... bah, how about music composition? It stimulates the creativity!! Very important for an engineer doing a design of a chemical reactor.

This poll here isn't really neutral, because it's "gaming"force. Still many say no.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by katchum; Feb 12, 2007 at 02:26 PM.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:23 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 12:23 PM #9 of 27
Just to add on to my previous post, video gaming was brought up in some interviews, namely Starcraft strategies as well as some SNES RPGs.

As for the hobbies section. CVs should be made specific to whoever you're giving it to anyway, so if you can fit hobbies (and video gaming) on it and actually think it's relevant, go for it. =/ I still think it's something for conversation and not really something that needs to go on paper.

waka waka

katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:26 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 09:26 PM #10 of 27
Okay, suppose I don't put it on the CV. Would you say it in the interview or not? I think that's even more embarassing...

-So, what are your hobbies?
-Well, I play video games...
-Aaah,..., okay. ("This one isn't coming to us for sure")

If I put it already in my CV, the person who invites me accepts me as who I am, that's good no? (boss with an open mind)

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by katchum; Feb 12, 2007 at 02:31 PM.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:31 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 12:31 PM #11 of 27
What's there to be embarrassed about, especially in this day and age? If they ask for your hobbies, I think it's alright so say, "I'm a gamer. I like basketball. I collect pokémon cards." But! Don't let that be your only hobby/interest. Gotta mention other things that relate more directly to the job.

I've mentioned RPGs as an interest before when asked. And actually, the Starcraft incident was brought up by my interviewer out of nowhere. He asked me, "Oh, do you play Stacraft...?" And it went from there. =p It's always good to find common ground with the interviewer. If it happens to be video gaming, more props!

waka waka

katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:32 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 09:32 PM #12 of 27
The thing is, I don't have hobbies that relate to the job of chemical engineer.

PS: who talks about Starcraft at an interview... that's weird.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:37 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 12:37 PM #13 of 27
The thing is, I don't have hobbies that relate to the job of chemical engineer.
Get some. ._.

Or avoid the hobbies section altogether...

Well, I'm not the expert on this or anything. Just my opinion and how I did. =/

PS: who talks about Starcraft at an interview... that's weird.
I forget who it was... one of Lockheed Martin or Northrop Grumman, but if your interviewer is a younger guy, chances are he's played some video games.

I was speaking idiomatically.
waka waka

Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 03:00 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 09:00 PM #14 of 27
I will never put that video gaming is one of my hobbies onto my CV again. The reason being that most of the jobs that I have gone for are office jobs, and that doesn't seem to be the right sort of criteria that employers are looking for. And in the few interviews that I got while that was on my CV didn't go to well when it came to the hobbies section of the interview.

I find that more physical things like sport, walking and cycling are much more in my favour.

katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 04:34 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 11:34 PM #15 of 27
I guess so. I'll definately erase that.

I'll also not put in the CV that I compose music, (to have a bit the advantage of modesty) I'll just say that I play the piano and when he asks me to tell me more about it I'll begin to talk about orchestra's, competitions, bands, composing,... to surprise him.

And I WON'T mention video games. All those interviewers are old people so they don't even know what a video game is like. Prejudice...

Hmm, maybe I'll erase "listening to video game music" too. Everything that has a connection to video games is bad! "Anime", just the same problem I think.

I think the problem's solved, thanks everyone. Case closed.

And in the few interviews that I got while that was on my CV didn't go to well when it came to the hobbies section of the interview.

PS: what went wrong when he began to talk about the hobbies section? I'm curious, what did he ask or say?

FELIPE NO

Last edited by katchum; Feb 12, 2007 at 04:43 PM.
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 04:43 PM #16 of 27
Or avoid the hobbies section altogether...

Well, I'm not the expert on this or anything. Just my opinion and how I did. =/
Yeah, avoid the Hobbies section altogether.

Reason being: you should keep your resume/CV focused on your experiences and skills relating to the position(s) you are pursuing.

If anything, put all that extracurricular stuff in the cover letter. But only as it relates to a job (i.e. How such and such a hobby has helped you build skills to put forth in the _____ position).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 04:59 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 11:59 PM #17 of 27
I'm not really sure about just avoiding the hobbies section. I think by saying your hobbies there will be a bit of connection between employer and employee, the CV would stand out a bit from the other people resulting in a higher chance of being selected. Who wouldn't want to interview a pianist/chemical engineer? There aren't many of those. 10 people saying walking, cycling, sports or even without a hobbies section and then there is this pianist who gets all the attention.

It's similar as making your CV on a yellow paper while everyone has a white paper. (I'm going to use yellow paper you know)

Last edited by katchum; Feb 12, 2007 at 05:03 PM.
WooshaQ
Wheel of Ka

Member 502

Level 14.17

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:56 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2007, 06:56 PM #18 of 27
As much as I love video games and anime I would never put those phrases directly into my CV, what I did was rephrasing them a little bit. And at the end games became electronic entertainment and anime, art of animation. As simple as that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 01:11 PM #19 of 27
it always depend of the job, like obviously if you're going for a job in 3D animation for video game, you kind of need to like to playing video game XD

but I apply for a job at a Blockbuster recently and they ask me personally if I liked video games and if I knew a little in the domain. So yeah in that case it could help, but I don't see it really necessary for a job in a restaurant for example...

Kaphwan 86
Punt-a-bitch

Member 365

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 01:32 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2007, 08:32 PM #20 of 27
As long as it isn't the only hobby you wrote down, you should be fine.

How Unfortunate
Ghost

Member 4460

Level 13.04

Apr 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:33 PM #21 of 27
As much as "micro" will help you use drawing and simulation programs faster (seriously), unfortunately, none of your potential bosses are going to realize/care.

If anything, put your wpm or something. I would only add VG to the middle of a one-line hobby list, and even then if it makes the line length look better from an aesthetics point and I've got nothing else.

Edit: It sounds to me like you're a student...be careful putting the word "engineer" on the CV if you're not already licenced by whatever the governing body is. Some professions can be real bitches about that.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by How Unfortunate; Feb 21, 2007 at 11:36 PM.
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:50 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2007, 12:50 PM #22 of 27
Actually I DID put down "Video Gaming" as one of the 'interest/non curriculum section' for my CV.

Many HRs actually asked me to explain this occurrence. Since usually non-gamers often stereotype gamers into a "non-sociable" kinda person. However I told them that I like to play games that stimulate thinking, puzzle solving, increase analytical skills and as a social talk-topic. Which is true for me

I guess mainly depends on what company you are applying into.

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Feb 22, 2007, 02:57 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2007, 07:57 PM #23 of 27
As pointed out by CuteChocobo it depends on the job tbh, there are some buissnesses out there who still think videogames haven't progressed and still consist of NES style audio for the sound effects! But there's also the whole issue of wether they even consider videogames to be something productive, you would add it if you were applying for a programmer job for example but not if you go for a job that's considered more 'mainstream' like a shop assistant.

FELIPE NO
katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2007, 06:02 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2007, 01:02 PM #24 of 27
As much as "micro" will help you use drawing and simulation programs faster (seriously), unfortunately, none of your potential bosses are going to realize/care.

If anything, put your wpm or something. I would only add VG to the middle of a one-line hobby list, and even then if it makes the line length look better from an aesthetics point and I've got nothing else.

Edit: It sounds to me like you're a student...be careful putting the word "engineer" on the CV if you're not already licenced by whatever the governing body is. Some professions can be real bitches about that.
Well I put my diplome of engineer on the CV: but I also set the date of study: 2003-2007 so they'll know.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by katchum; Feb 28, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Feb 28, 2007, 02:43 PM Local time: Feb 28, 2007, 09:43 PM #25 of 27
I talked to an experienced chemical engineer and he said that Tetris was a good game to put on a CV, and he did, saying it gives analytical skills. He also wanted to integrate Tetris as a test in assessment centers. But Tetris... that's not a real video game is it.

Last edited by katchum; Feb 28, 2007 at 02:46 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Curriculum Vitae