Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Games we remember being the best

GarretThe Thief
The TS master

Member 192

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:52 PM #1 of 52
Games we remember being the best

We all have them, the classics. So what made them classics and why are they remembered? would you want to see them remade with better graphics and systems? if so talk here.

Most amazing jew boots
stormshadow
Syklis Green

Member 171

Level 7.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:34 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 03:34 PM #2 of 52
My one game I would love to see remade bigger better and badder would be the Tie Fighter and X Wing games. The storylines in those were fantastic, and the space combat was intense. And in Tie Fighter when you get Darth Vader as your wingman it was just cool.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Daedalus Ikari
Wark!

Member 440

Level 2.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:40 PM #3 of 52
I loved TIE Fighter as well. Couldn't ever get into X Wing though, considering the difficulty was so much higher. (or seemed so at that age. :P )

I actually played a lot of Dark Reign, so i'm going to call that my classic. Sadly it never really caught on like Total Annihilation and StarCraft did. The engine was great but as a lot of people feel the game was a little lacking. Didn't stop me though. ^^

I'd mostly like to see an upped resolution version of this. I look over and see my roomie playing Total Annihilation at a super high resolution and it looks REAL good, despite being god knows how many years old. With Dark Reign i'm stuck with 640 x 480 which wouldn't be bad, except for that ungodly large building bar. ;_;

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:45 PM #4 of 52
I totally hear you with Tie Fighter. I'd love to play it all over again, as it doesn't work for me anymore, being a DOS game and all : / Not to mention that my joystick is really squeaky too...I should invest in a new one some day...

Another game I'd love to see remade is Wolf from Sanctuary Woods. Unfortunately, they've since changed their company name and decided to make only educational crap, so I don't see any possiblity of it happening anytime soon. Still, Wolf was an awesome, unique game and an update would be awesome.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

uematsufreak
Take me as I am.

Member 612

Level 2.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:31 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 06:31 PM #5 of 52
So many classics, so little time.

* Return to Zork should be remade with a sans-MIDI soundtrack, and with DVD-quality video. (Windows NT support would be nice, too.)

* Yes, TIE Fighter should be redone, but not as much as the ...

* Wing Commander games. Those games were addictive as hell for some reason.

* The original Unreal Tournament would be awesome to see in a new engine. I liked the gameplay of the original Unreal much more than that of its successors for some odd reason. It just seemed to flow better.

Finally, someone had to mention the not-quite-as-old ...

* Final Fantasy VII should be remade. (Maybe I should say it should be finished first, then remade.) You've all seen the PS3 FFVII “tech demo” that's been floating around the internet from E3.

(Return to Zork remake ... please? At least Zork Grand Inquisitor 2 that now seems less likely than Duke Nukem Forever? No? Damn ...)

I was speaking idiomatically.

Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:59 PM #6 of 52
A good Duke Nukem game would be awesome. I know there were others made after 3D, but none from what I saw had the same fun about it as 3D did. Shadow Warrior came fairly close, but that was just another game of theirs with the same general idea.

....I miss Descent 1 and 2.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
jRev
XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG

Member 610

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:35 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 09:35 AM #7 of 52
Sierra's quest catalog was sheer gaming bliss: King's Quest, Police Quest, Quest for Glory, Leisure Suit Larry and the rest. These were the best of the best in 80's and 90's adventure gaming, and unlike the equally commendable efforts from Lucasarts, they encompassed a broader range of genres. There are some titles I'd consider duds, like the first two King's Quests, Larry 5 and Laura Bow 2, but most of the games are still worth playing today.

Gabriel Knight in particular is not to be missed. The writing in those games is better than a lot of novels I've read.

I'd rather not see remakes, since part of their charm is in the presentation and following how the gameplay evolved (or devolved, depending on how you feel about text parsers) as the series progressed. Fixing the buggier games like Quest for Glory 4 would be a bigger priority for me.

FELIPE NO
GarretThe Thief
The TS master

Member 192

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:38 PM #8 of 52
A few I wouldent mind seeing being made again were:
1. Legend of Dragoon
2. Wolfenstein
3. ANY Commander Keen game
4. and Jagged Allience: Deadly Games (A rather uncommen game)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:07 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:07 PM #9 of 52
Assuming there is NO change to story line, FFVII is the only one that comes to mind.

Some games just seem better in their 8-bit glory, though. Contra should be left as-is.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:13 PM #10 of 52
My entire PC video game life started with Warcraft 2, continued with many years of non-stop Starcraft, and a nice healthy Diablo 2 addiction later on. Some games I played a little through years were CS and some Quake ones in the late 90's.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:22 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 07:22 PM #11 of 52
The Ultimate DOOM Beating the fourth episode was painfully hard on Ultra Violence, but it was the most rewarding thing I have ever done on an fps (Episode 4 easily has the best level design of the DOOM games).
StarCraft I waited until 2004 to finally beat the three original campaigns, but it was very fun and surprisingly easy. Also I learned the Zerg is my favorite race.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:34 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 07:34 PM #12 of 52
Hell, for me, Deus Ex was pretty awesome for me. Sure, a second one has been remade but hell, the original was way more better.

Most amazing jew boots
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:47 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 07:47 PM #13 of 52
It is kind of sad that the quest/adventure game as kind of fallen by the wayside. They didn't just used to be good, it was basically the best genre of games. If we could have new versions of games like Monkey Island that were as good as the originals, I'd become a PC gamer again, I think. Everyone is working on MMOs, which is pretty frustrating for people like me who like games with a good story and good writing.

I was speaking idiomatically.
stormshadow
Syklis Green

Member 171

Level 7.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:04 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:04 PM #14 of 52
Sierra was a great company for adventure games. I had pretty much everything they put out in the late 90s. I agree that the adventure game market is pretty stagnant nowadays. Not withstanding Myst and some others that keep popping up.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:05 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 08:05 PM #15 of 52
Originally Posted by BlueMikey
It is kind of sad that the quest/adventure game as kind of fallen by the wayside. They didn't just used to be good, it was basically the best genre of games. If we could have new versions of games like Monkey Island that were as good as the originals, I'd become a PC gamer again, I think. Everyone is working on MMOs, which is pretty frustrating for people like me who like games with a good story and good writing.
I haven't played many Adventure games, but I must say Soul Reaver (at least the first time around) was a great adventure game (though it was action heavy). So far I haven't really gotten into the Ultimas or the Fallout series.

FELIPE NO
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:08 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 10:08 PM #16 of 52
The original Command and Conquer, there is just something appealing about watching the enemy run over my machine gunners with a battle bike only to crush the bike with my Med. tank.

Legend of Zelda, OoT; Great 3d adaptation of the Zelda series, got the flavor and settings of the world just right (for its time and its limited graphics cababilities)

Finally Starcraft, everyone already knows starcraft is great so I'm not going to waste keystrokes typing out why.

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:25 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 02:25 AM #17 of 52
The original 8-bit graphics Civilization game.
That rocked my youung world.
Also, Might & Magic: Clouds of Xeen, and Darkside of Xeen.
My brother and I used to love going to my cousins' house just so we could play that game. We finally managed to find some copies of them in "The Ultimate RPG Archives" which had all sorts of old-school rpg games... but nothing compared to C of X and D of X.
Unfortunately, I could not find any way of playing those games on any of the newer computers. I guess programs that were programmed for a pentium 1 chip are not usable anymore.

Last edited by Fjordor; Mar 3, 2006 at 01:31 AM.
watkinzez
Chocobo

Member 1040

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:30 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 03:30 PM #18 of 52
The most fun I've had on my PC is a number of Lucasart's adventure games. The highest being Grim Fandango, followed by the Monkey Island games. Now, the remake discussion..

The term remake in the videogame world I see as a bit superficial. When someone mentions remake they usually mean it to be a port, from an old system to a new one, with better graphics, a few extras, anything of that nature. Take The Twin Snakes, Resident Evil as examples. I say, largely, what's the point? This category, especially remakes of recent games, don't really serve any purpose other for the people who missed out last time. At odds with the remake in the film form, where a story is told in a different way, using different techniques, maybe even a different genre. Take Shakespeare's original Othello and the transformed version taking place in modern day London, starring a black Othello and bringing themes of racism into the mix. Even the modern version of Romeo and Juliet. People here who say they'd only want FF7 remade with no underlying changes seem to be stuck in a rut.

Probably standing as the best recent remake I can think of at the moment is Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Ignoring the sequels, it took the best bits of the original, the story's bare bones (maybe not even that) and adapted it into a modern videogame. And for anyone who saw 'I, Mario' over at OCR, they know what I'm talking about in terms of an intriguing remake concept.

Not trying to attack anyone. After all, this is a discussion.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:24 AM #19 of 52
X-Com: UFO Defense is a classic game that I will always be fond of. It's my favourite PC game of all time.

If they remade it, all they need to do is to give it a massive graphical overhaul and improve some of the nuances. The gameplay mechanics was already close to being perfect -- it was way ahead of its time.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:34 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 10:34 PM #20 of 52
Those LucasArts point-and-click adventures were hella awesome. I loved the Monkey Island series. Maniac Mansion, Loom, Indiana Jones, Zak, etc. Those highlighted my PC gaming back in the day.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:38 AM #21 of 52
Doom always held a special place in my heart. That is until the Rock came along...

Most amazing jew boots
Von
Tchaimscriabalustmaninoff

Member 1508

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:55 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 01:55 AM #22 of 52
I put another vote in for Starcraft, simply because I can still, ten (?) years after its initial release, pop in the cd for a quick KotH or something and there will still be tons of people botting and playing trivia and hardcores keeping their 100% win streak after so many years.

That cannot be said for the massive majority of other games.

Most amazing jew boots
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:29 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 05:29 PM #23 of 52
My all time favorite PC games are easily Heroes of Might and Magic 3, and StarCraft.

FELIPE NO
Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:40 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:40 AM #24 of 52
Civilisation, SimCity those kept me playing for hours on end behind my now ancient 486. Those were the good times!

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:50 PM #25 of 52
I remember when the original Worms came out and it was on a few computers at the school where my dad worked at the time. And at that time it was wonderful. Stuff go boom! It was so much fun. Now, there's Worms Armaggedon, which is even more fun, if only due to the Holy Hand Grenade.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Games we remember being the best