Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Starmen.net translating Mother 3

deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2006, 09:27 PM #1 of 15
Starmen.net translating Mother 3

If you go to www.starmen.net you will see a long-winded explanation regarding why Mother 3 is not being localized (super sad ).

Even more exciting is the fact that they're taking it on themselves to get a good fan translation going. Considering they roped Tomato into it, I'd say it'll get done and done well

What do you guys think of this development? Share your thoughts on Mother 3!

SPREAD THE LOVE

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Returned
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Nov 9, 2006, 09:29 PM #2 of 15
Yeah, that's nice and all, but www.mother3.org has been at it since the Japanese release of the game, so I'd figure that they're further along in the process.

Then again, starmen.net's people are the best in the rom-hacking community, so if they put their best efforts in, we'll probably see their release much faster.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by JazzFlight; Nov 9, 2006 at 09:36 PM.
Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2006, 09:39 PM Local time: Nov 9, 2006, 09:39 PM #3 of 15
It's so terrible that there's not going to be an official localization, considering all of the die-hard English-speaking fans. But I knew all along that there would be a fan translation regardless.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Nov 9, 2006, 09:42 PM Local time: Nov 9, 2006, 07:42 PM #4 of 15
I'd rather play Tomato's translated version simply because his work is as good as an official translation. Of course we probably won't be seeing this for quite a while.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Celes Chere
Good Chocobo

Member 11349

Level 18.07

Aug 2006

Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:00 PM #5 of 15
I'm not surprised at all that Mother 3 won't arrive to the US officially, but I am glad somebody's working on translating it.

I, along with many others, would have loved all three games in the series to be (re)released to the US, possibly on the DS or something. Oh well...

I was speaking idiomatically.
deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:35 PM #6 of 15
I knew about the mother3.org

Alas, little news has come from them as of late. Plus, considering the stance Starmen took on fan translations, the turnaround is quite interesting!

Yeah, Tomato rules

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Returned
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 01:20 AM Local time: Nov 9, 2006, 11:20 PM #7 of 15
Originally Posted by deadally
If you go to www.starmen.net you will see a long-winded explanation regarding why Mother 3 is not being localized (super sad ).

Even more exciting is...
Usually I don't nitpick at this stuff, cause that's not cool, but dude...
When you say "even more (adjective)," it means what you previously said was also (that same adjective).

Bad example: "My girlfriend died in a plane crash today. Even more awesome is this 32-ounce Big Gulp."
Good example: "There will be a Final Fantasy III remake. Even more awesome is that it's a complete overhaul for the DS."

Be cool, stay in school, kids.

FELIPE NO
Zyzex
dicks

Member 15142

Level 6.82

Nov 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:48 AM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 12:48 AM #8 of 15
...what?

In any case, I still can't believe that mother3.org hasn't finished it yet. But hopefully with starmen on the case, we'll finally be able to play an English version of the game. Still, I'm slightly surprised because if I recall correctly starmen were completely against the use of Roms. This is a welcome turn around indeed.

Most amazing jew boots
deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:18 AM #9 of 15
Quote:
Usually I don't nitpick at this stuff, cause that's not cool, but dude...
When you say "even more (adjective)," it means what you previously said was also (that same adjective).

Bad example: "My girlfriend died in a plane crash today. Even more awesome is this 32-ounce Big Gulp."
Good example: "There will be a Final Fantasy III remake. Even more awesome is that it's a complete overhaul for the DS."

Be cool, stay in school, kids.
Number 1, I don't care to nitpick relatively strange mistakes.

Number 2, I don't care about grammar when I'm this excited about Mother 3

Thanks for contributing. By the way, maybe I was excited about the previously-stated explanation about the non-localization of the game. A fan tranlastion is definitely more exciting

How ya doing, buddy?
Returned
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:58 AM Local time: Nov 11, 2006, 02:58 AM #10 of 15
Why aren't they releasing it in english?

Like, it's been years since the first game, and since they've taken the time to make a second, why only in japan? It doesn't make sense.

How ya doing, buddy?
deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:57 PM #11 of 15
Indeed, especially with the apparently proven fanbase that is huge.

I would have bought it, and I haven't downloaded it yet. My mind is changing now, as much as I want to play it on my DS...

How ya doing, buddy?
Returned
Aquas
Oh, Nall...

Member 4590

Level 13.98

Apr 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 02:23 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 01:23 PM #12 of 15
Hehe. Starmen.net is going to lay down the law, while Mother3.org takes a lengthy time to do their job. I'm as excited as they are at this moment. Long live the EarthBound fanbase.

Personally, I'm holding out on playing the rom. I kind of want to play EB again, though... as I always do each year.

Fun Fact: I was the Merchandise staffer for Starmen.Net a while back, I also ran their radio before they started having 4 DJs doing it. ShadowX as mentioned in that article replaced me when I resigned. He's better, me thinks. I laughed pretty hard when I found a manga about the suggestion of Tony and Jeff being male mates.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
In your dreams, magical thoughts
All things are real, unless you dream they're not

Last edited by Aquas; Nov 10, 2006 at 02:27 PM.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:51 PM #13 of 15
Maybe we'll actually see the translation, now.

CAN'T WAIT...........

I was speaking idiomatically.
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2007, 08:07 PM Local time: Feb 20, 2007, 08:07 PM #14 of 15
maybe you'll give me sprites to work with, lurker.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2007, 08:41 PM #15 of 15
Since this thread got a bump anyway, starmen.net posted an article last Friday quoting Reggie about looking into localizing Mother 3. Seems odd to still only be thinking about it at this point and an MTV interview isn't the most credible source, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

Originally Posted by starmen.net
From the most hyped games to the somewhat more obscure, Fils-Aime will discuss any possible title for Nintendo systems. So what of "Mother 3," a 2006 Game Boy Advance game released to cult acclaim in Japan but never so much as whispered for a U.S. release (see "Where Does A Game Called 'Mother' Outsell 'Halo'? Check Out Tokyo's Coolest Street")?

The game has such a strong online following that a group of committed fans have vowed to produce their own translated version of the game if Nintendo won't [That's our Mother 3 Translation Project in case you didn't know ]. Fils-Aime has never played the game, but he knows about the translation project. He said the "Mother" series (known as "Earthbound" when "Mother 2" was released in the U.S.) is important to Satoru Iwata, Nintendo's president, who worked on the series years ago as a developer.

"It certainly is a franchise near and dear to his heart, and it's something I'm trying to get smart on to understand whether or not there is an opportunity here. But certainly I've seen the success in Japan. That hasn't gone unnoticed. And it's certainly something we're looking at."

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Starmen.net translating Mother 3