Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Mario and Luigi 2 or: bastardisation of the english language

British Chris
Carob Nut

Member 82

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:04 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 02:04 AM #1 of 17
Mario and Luigi 2 or: bastardisation of the english language

OKAY, So i've been playing Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, Nintendo have crossed the line with the dialogue of the hammer brothers. I mean really. It's like a retarded 12 year old from 4chan. :aargh: It made me want to cry.

Discuss. Not my crying but the stupid l33t speak that has begun infecting mainstream games.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:37 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 10:37 AM #2 of 17
I actually thought it was funny. By the way, if you even paid attention to what was going on, you would know that they talked this way because they had devices on their heads that essentially made them act like robots. When you free them, they even make a comment along the lines of "who would ever talk like that?"

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Ronz
Good Chocobo

Member 240

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:38 PM #3 of 17
Originally Posted by British Chris
OKAY, So i've been playing Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, Nintendo have crossed the line with the dialogue of the hammer brothers. I mean really. It's like a retarded 12 year old from 4chan. :aargh: It made me want to cry.

Discuss. Not my crying but the stupid l33t speak that has begun infecting mainstream games.
How did Nintendo cross the line by using leet speak for one of the scenes in one game? I mean it's something that most gamers are likely familiar with, and if I recall correctly

Spoiler:
The leet speak was cause by the helmets they were wearing or something of that nature, and after they were defeated they talked normally again. It's been a good while since I did that part of the game so I don't remember it exactly.

If they started using it all the time then it might become annoying, but I found the context and usage of it to be pretty funny.

Edit: F U Kaleb

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
evergreen
Bullet in the Head

Member 828

Level 19.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:11 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:11 PM #4 of 17

It's satirical. Like everyone before has said, THE HELMETS.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:04 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 12:04 AM #5 of 17
Phoenix Wright has it too, for a fat sweaty otaku character. It's pretty hilarious.

I was speaking idiomatically.
shadowlink56
Wii came, We saw, Wii kicked our ASS!

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:30 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 04:30 PM #6 of 17
Some people are evidently on a quest to rid the world of 1337speak. I say, more power to them, but here it's more making fun of the ridiculous fad than simply using it to be cool.
Come on man, it's a hilarious game. Don't let your silly hatred toward an abominable internet fad ruin the game for you.
Sheesh.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 06:38 PM #7 of 17
Didn't they essentially do the same thing in the first one with Cackletta (or whatever her name was) whose spoke like a poorly translated Japanese game (Zero Wing comes to mind).

FELIPE NO
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:07 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 06:07 PM #8 of 17
Originally Posted by Magic
Didn't they essentially do the same thing in the first one with Cackletta (or whatever her name was) whose spoke like a poorly translated Japanese game (Zero Wing comes to mind).
Yeah, but the character was Fawful. "I HAVE FURY" and so forth.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:20 PM #9 of 17
Leet Speak isn't THAT bad... I mean, as everyone else is saying, it's the helmets that made the Hammer Bros. talk like that, but now-a-days, what are you going to give people when they're under robotic mind control? Make them speak French? Hell no, give em' 1337.

Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:34 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 11:34 AM #10 of 17
It's more of a parody of it than anything else, and taking Mario & Luigi seriously is a big mistake.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 09:07 PM #11 of 17
Just to drill the nail in the coffin for the nth time... helmets!

I thought it was pretty clever that Nintendo would acknowledge that. Most people would normally go "What!? l33t sp33k in a game?! That's awesome!" The game doesn't prolong it either. It's not like the Bros. were a main villain group that always talked in a strange manner.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Akai-chan
Firebrand

Member 685

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 01:35 AM #12 of 17
Jokes are obviously serious business...

I found the dialogue hilarious considering it was so out of place, and as has already been said quite a few times here, Nintendo was making fun of it...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 02:41 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 05:41 PM #13 of 17
I'd really much rather discuss your crying. Did your bottom lip start trembling? Did your face start burning? Did you FEEL the Prince of Persia consume your SOUL and force you to CURSE the GODS? Did the throw your DS out the window the instant the Hammer Bros. appeared? Did you KICK DOWN A DOOR and PUNCH A WALL? Because like countless others have already mentioned, they make fun of the whole 1337/one three three seven speak after you win the intense battle that takes all of five minutes.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Nekobo
Axefighter??

Member 835

Level 4.50

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 02:43 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 12:43 AM #14 of 17
In other words, chill. It's not like this "trend" is mainstream anyways.

Games like Pocket Kingdom:Own the World also poke fun/reference l337, since it it's part of the gaming culture, whether we like it or not. Heck, there's even a certain character in Phoenix Wright that speaks the lingo. ROFS (rolling on the floor starving) anyone?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
skankcore
Encroached Encephalitic

Member 2158

Level 2.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:24 PM #15 of 17
saying the words mario and luigi 2 and bastardization in the same sentence is just blasphemy within itself. if you can't see the wit in parodying something like leet speak, well... you need to find your sense of humor again.

because i mean...

"Your lives that I spit on are now but a caricature of a cartoon drawn by a kid who is stupid!"

and

"Princess Peach's sweet voice will soon be the bread that makes the sandwich of Cackletta's desires! And this battle shall be the delicious mustard on that bread! The mustard of your doom!"

it gets no better...

FELIPE NO
shadowlink56
Wii came, We saw, Wii kicked our ASS!

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:14 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 11:14 PM #16 of 17
Is there someplace to get a complete script of all of Fawful's quotes (or of these games?)
They're the funniest RPGs I think I've ever played!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
J-Man
Taller than a tree

Member 102

Level 23.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:58 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 11:58 PM #17 of 17
Originally Posted by shadowlink56
Is there someplace to get a complete script of all of Fawful's quotes (or of these games?)
They're the funniest RPGs I think I've ever played!

Fawful is my favorite character from the last couple years I think. He fitted the role of crazy evil subordinate perfectly.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Mario and Luigi 2 or: bastardisation of the english language