Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Final Fantasy XII

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 06:03 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 04:03 PM #1326 of 4284
These past few posts have been really discouraging, especially the ones relating to the battle system. A good battle system is a must, otherwise, there is no point in playing.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Lipid
Fatty!

Member 3311

Level 8.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 06:18 PM #1327 of 4284
The battle system is fine, people just cant stand change.

FELIPE NO

Memnoch
Badass Van

Member 12452

Level 6.82

Sep 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 06:35 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 12:35 AM #1328 of 4284
Originally Posted by Kairi Li
Wow, you just let the game play by ITSELF at the LAST BOSS?

Am I the only one who sees severe game design problems in this game?

They say KH2 was easy even in Proud mode, but I still need to do something to actually play it. This game just plays by itself.

I mean aside from production values, what other postive values are there for this game?

Also, I have heard rumours that the NA version had additional scenes that were not in the Japan version, is this true? And if it was, are the scenes added in more Penelo scenes, since alot of her stuff was cut out in the JP copy, including the FMV of her dancing?
Spoiler:
She Dances?? boy did she look hot in the end...waauw,i wish she looked like that during the game (actually she was the best thing in the ending, smexy:biggrin: )

EDITED BY JAZZFLIGHT: SPOIL TAG YOUR POSTS, MAN, FOR GOD'S SAKE!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by JazzFlight; Oct 12, 2006 at 06:41 PM.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 06:40 PM #1329 of 4284
I love the battle system.

Personally, I don't look forward to going back to
**RANDOM ENCOUNTER**LOAD LOAD LOAD**HIT X 20 TIMES**LOAD LOAD LOAD**WALK 3 STEPS**REPEAT

I much prefer the real-time battles of FFXII along with the gambits. It takes the tedium out of the game.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 07:03 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 08:03 AM #1330 of 4284
Whoa what? It's too short? Man, that's too bad, I'm kinda liking it so far and I'm about 16 hours into the game though. Let's see how it goes as I progress. But after reading some of the posts, I'm kind of seeing the bad points even before I can experience them, which is ok since at least I get a heads up.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 07:18 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 04:18 PM #1331 of 4284
Originally Posted by Lipid
The battle system is fine, people just cant stand change.
How can a battle system be fine when it allows a player to just sit back and watch his characters play and beat the last boss on their own? I mean, my god, the LAST BOSS?! Gambits are just another way of saying AI system! And AI only works in action oriented games. In RPGS that are bit more turn base or strategic, its someone else doing the thinking for you.

A game where none of the characters have any unique attributes or ablities other than their looks?

Along with cumbersome Licenece board system that makes you aquire licence to wear a damn equipment? And make you buy magic when its tough to get gil? And Mob hunts making you go around a city to find the person who wants a monster killed to iniate the hunt?

Its not the change that bugs me, is the fact that the battle system ISNT fun that bugs me. I'm happy that there are no more random battles, but the battle system isn't fun cause you can let the system play by itself. Change isn't always a good thing, nor is it always a bad thing, and I gave this game TWO chances by downloading both the import and the NA version. Neither impressed me, nor was it fun. In this case, the changes they made were bad. I dont like how you insinuate that whoever hates this game's battle system hates change.

If you want an RPG that mixes realtime and turn base elements better, try VP2. Level grinding is FUN in that game, while in FF12 its dull and half the time you're not even pressing any buttons. If you like less interactivity, fine, but to me, games are ALL about interactivity, not AI's doing the work for you.

And turning off the gambits make it even less fun than it is already, alot more tedious, so telling someone to turn it off isnt gonna magically make this game better or fun.

And judging from Memnoch's post, I guess Penelo's dance FMV was still cut, way to go Square, create a character and then cut out her significant role in the story, along with most of her scenes.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :

Last edited by Kairi Li; Oct 12, 2006 at 07:31 PM.
soulsteelgray
And now for something new

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 07:51 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 06:51 PM #1332 of 4284
How can a battle system be fine when it allows a player to just sit back and watch his characters play and beat the last boss on their own? I mean, my god, the LAST BOSS?! Gambits are just another way of saying AI system! And AI only works in action oriented games. In RPGS that are bit more turn base or strategic, its someone else doing the thinking for you.
Then it's simple: don't use gambits on your lead character.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:03 PM #1333 of 4284
I don't see how the computer doing mundane things that you would be doing ANYWAY (like attacking all the time, healing when you get below a certain HP, curing poison, etc...) is bad.

Frankly, I'm glad I don't have to do any of these things. It seems like your problem is with RPGs in general. Aside from say, the SMT series and a few others, most RPGs let you get by with mashing the X button through every battle.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by JazzFlight; Oct 12, 2006 at 08:05 PM.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:26 PM #1334 of 4284
Originally Posted by soulsteelgray
Then it's simple: don't use gambits on your lead character.
I actually didn't have gambit on at all for vaan during the first few hours since I didn't fully understand it, it's time consuming to keep pressing the X button since there are so many enemies on the field.
Gambits make life easier even if it does take away from the depth of the battle I just wish the magic had a little more bang into it.

Most amazing jew boots

New Record!
Punishment
Carob Nut

Member 7129

Level 4.03

May 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:49 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 05:49 PM #1335 of 4284
Couldn't you just simplt battle alone as a certain character in the game? Or just turn off the gambits and manually control each character.

If it werent for the battle system I believe the game would really be hectic.

As for storyline it is a different twist. A political storyline won't appeal to everyone unfortunately.

How ya doing, buddy?
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:57 PM #1336 of 4284
Originally Posted by Punishment
Couldn't you just simplt battle alone as a certain character in the game? Or just turn off the gambits and manually control each character.

you could do that but I think that you'd be setting yourself up to be on the field for countless hours.

New Record!
Punishment
Carob Nut

Member 7129

Level 4.03

May 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:42 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 06:42 PM #1337 of 4284
Well for those who are compaining that the game is too easy then you have yourself a challenge. Go solo with no gambits. As simple as that.

On the other hand, I have heard that the game was pretty hard or challenging from those who played the Japanese version.

Last edited by Punishment; Oct 12, 2006 at 09:45 PM.
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:57 PM #1338 of 4284
The game can be quite difficult if you're not prepared. Thankfully, it lets you know if you're in an area that you can't get out of (to level and stock up on whatever you need). I had to level up in during one of the story missions because I was getting slaughtered by the boss there.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:33 PM #1339 of 4284
Quote:
Also, I have heard rumours that the NA version had additional scenes that were not in the Japan version, is this true? And if it was, are the scenes added in more Penelo scenes, since alot of her stuff was cut out in the JP copy, including the FMV of her dancing?
You mean that pretty scene with Penelo dancing isn't in the actual game? Can someone give a non-spoiler answer to the above?

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:34 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 07:34 PM #1340 of 4284
Originally Posted by Punishment
Well for those who are compaining that the game is too easy then you have yourself a challenge. Go solo with no gambits. As simple as that.
With or without gambits, this game was not FUN at all for me. If its not even fun, why would I play for the challenge to begin with? Its adding a layer to the torture. I don't like the battle system regardless of whether or not the gambit is turned on for any character, either its tedious and annoying, or its watching the game play itself. It doesn't work either way.

And if I dont use gambit on the lead but have it on the other 2, than it really becomes FF11 OFFLINE, also a game I found dull after 3 hours, and I only played it longer cause I was talking to people.

And FF12 isn't real time, since characters need to take turns to actually do a move, you just happen to get to walk around the area while you're waiting, making you believe its real time when its really not. KH2 is real time, Zelda is real time. VP2 is half real half turn based, just like 12 cept they mixed both elements far better.

Pressing the same button to do an attack move can be fun if the battle system is done right, say the Grandia series, I love Grandia 3's battle system, as well as VP2.

And yes, the FMV of Penelo dancing was only in the trailers, in fact alot of her scenes from the trailers were cut, like the parts where shes being held prisoner by some of those bangaa (did I get that right?) people. That is just one problem I had with the story, among many others.

Last edited by Kairi Li; Oct 12, 2006 at 10:52 PM.
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:54 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 11:54 AM #1341 of 4284
Originally Posted by Memnoch
And ohyeah I VE BEATEN THE GAME! WOW THE LASTBOSS WAS TOOOO EASY but he looked freaking cool though and his moves were cinematic awesome (but REALLY weak,jeez damage me come on??)
Firstly congrate on beating the game~ I am not even that far yet.

However, I have to agree that the final boss was tad easy. I played the JP version 3 times, first time I beat him at normal level range 50-60, next round at the overpowering level 80-95. Last one I set my self a challenges and completed the game in barely 35-41. Out of all, the last one posed a threat the most, especially I limit my self to the number of gambits I can use

Have you try and tackle the Final Clan Mob hunt? The 'H' rank and above!!
In my opinion it would be great if Yazamatto would be the final boss... THEN it would be a challenge

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:30 PM #1342 of 4284
Quote:
And yes, the FMV of Penelo dancing was only in the trailers, in fact alot of her scenes from the trailers were cut, like the parts where shes being held prisoner by some of those bangaa (did I get that right?) people. That is just one problem I had with the story, among many others.
Are you serious? What, did it look too much like "OMG TEH RAPE"(although I did briefly consider that, this being Matsuno and all)? So did this make it to the NA or what.

Punishment
Carob Nut

Member 7129

Level 4.03

May 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:40 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 08:40 PM #1343 of 4284
Ohh well not every Final Fantasy game will please everyone. I'll probably end up as an oddball of the PS2 FF's like FFVIII. You either love it alot or dislike it. : /

Most amazing jew boots
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:40 PM #1344 of 4284
really kari Li I have nothing about you don't like this game (I'm not taking for this game I didn't play it so maybe I'll not like it too) but it's been about 3 pages that we hear whine and bash this, now it's get kind of annoying, you don't like the game at all then fine, stop whining and go play something else you like...

(and don't get me the: I have the right to express my opinion! you already did it now stop repeating yourself)

really no offense, I'm just saying that now I think we heard you and it's enough.

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 01:25 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 10:25 PM #1345 of 4284
I was simply responding to previous comments from other users. If it bugs you that much than don't read them, however I wasn't just repeating, I was responding to what others said as well.

By the way it took me a while to understand what you posted. And I know you mean no offense, but I think I am allowed to respond to people's comments, especially if they imply that people who didn't like this game are simpletons who hate change. I repeated ny points to renforce the fact that I have legitmate reasons to hate the game and find it not fun for my taste. Its called criticism, not just mindless bashing. There's a difference.

And I dont know if the Penelo FMV scene ended up in the NA version, hence why I asked it in the previous posts.

Last edited by Kairi Li; Oct 13, 2006 at 01:34 AM.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:48 AM #1346 of 4284
yeah ok I understand...

oh another note I'm curious too about those new cut-scene...

Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:13 AM #1347 of 4284
This game is not short, even if you skip EVERY SINGLE side quests it should still be AT least 40 hours. However I am doing all the sidequests and so far I am at 70 hours or so.

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:48 AM #1348 of 4284
Oh, on the contrary, gameplay-wise, it's not short at all.

I just wish there was more story (or at least, to go in-depth more at each location instead of quickly running from place to place).

Memnoch
Badass Van

Member 12452

Level 6.82

Sep 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:10 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 05:10 PM #1349 of 4284

And I dont know if the Penelo FMV scene ended up in the NA version, hence why I asked it in the previous posts.
Nope, i haven't seen it...anyone know where to get it? I tried searching it on youtube and no luck

Originally Posted by CuteChocobo
Firstly congrate on beating the game~ I am not even that far yet.

However, I have to agree that the final boss was tad easy. I played the JP version 3 times, first time I beat him at normal level range 50-60, next round at the overpowering level 80-95. Last one I set my self a challenges and completed the game in barely 35-41. Out of all, the last one posed a threat the most, especially I limit my self to the number of gambits I can use

Have you try and tackle the Final Clan Mob hunt? The 'H' rank and above!!
In my opinion it would be great if Yazamatto would be the final boss... THEN it would be a challenge
Thx . Hmmmm i am a sucka for hard bosses, maybe after completing some other games :biggrin:

Last edited by Memnoch; Oct 13, 2006 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:58 PM #1350 of 4284
Well the story itsef is still at least 40+ hours, thats long for RPGs these days. XS3 and VP2 were about 25-30 hours for me.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Final Fantasy XII