Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Final Fantasy XII

seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 02:19 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 09:19 PM #2576 of 4284
I, on the other hand didn't really see any points in using more than three characters during the main storyline. I mean unless you really like all characters and want to use them all, what's the point?

I didn't see any reason to act differently in this game than in previous FFs as far as this is concerned.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 02:24 PM #2577 of 4284
Well I guess its also important because, certain characters have abilities that shine or are better at higher levels. I dont know about this game in particular since everything is so customizable...but take FFIX for instance. Amarant was a character I really did not care for at all at first, but I finally decided to use him, and WOW...he turned out to be one of my favorites, his skills at high levels were incredible, same with his trance.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 02:27 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 09:27 PM #2578 of 4284
Originally Posted by Karasu
Yea, i'm the same way. I think in a particular game such as this, it's important to keep all of your characters lvl'ed evenly if possible. I remember when I was fighting Adrammelch [sp], I had to go and use my reserve team, because my first team would get clobbered after using quickenings.
I don't see how that's a reason in favor of keeping your characterse evenly level, though.

Especially early on, it's easily better to use only three as you'll want to get enough LP to unlock all three quickenings. The value of the MP boost you get from that is really hard to overestimate.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 02:32 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 12:32 PM #2579 of 4284
Quote:
I, on the other hand didn't really see any points in using more than three characters during the main storyline. I mean unless you really like all characters and want to use them all, what's the point?
So you can have an entire team of strong fighters in case something happens to some of them.

Quote:
Especially early on, it's easily better to use only three as you'll want to get enough LP to unlock all three quickenings. The value of the MP boost you get from that is really hard to overestimate.
I just hung around and power leveled to do that. I'm not even 1/4 of the way through the game yet, but I already have nearly the entire right half of everybody's license board completed. Now I just need to do the left half where all of the weapons are, although I won't be getting a lot of those weapons for quite some time...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Dec 1, 2006 at 02:34 PM.
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 02:41 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 09:41 PM #2580 of 4284
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
So you can have an entire team of strong fighters in case something happens to some of them.
So you are doing more leveling than you would have if you were only using three then? Because yeah, of course it's better to have all six characters all at a certain level than only three of them. But the argument was whether to use three or six characters with the same amount of time spent leveling.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 02:47 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 11:47 AM #2581 of 4284
Heh, I haven't used Penelo at all this playthrough since I got her (despite her being my main gunner 1st time). I do have a main party (Fran, Balthier, Ashe) and never really touched the other characters. So they're at ~20, and my party is at 43. Having had the golden amulets since the earliest possible to get them, every one of my characters has every augment unlocked, everyone has almost all the magic unlocked (except Fran, who has nearly all the Technick licenses), learned all the licenses for their two weapon lines and armor type... And I just left Mt. Bur-Omisace for Archades

So yeah, not much of a need to use everyone if you know what you're doing from the getgo. In my first playthrough I originally felt the need to level everyone the same, but again at ~level 20 I gave up and made an uberparty of my favourite characters.

I was speaking idiomatically.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 02:47 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 12:47 PM #2582 of 4284
Quote:
But the argument was whether to use three or six characters with the same amount of time spent leveling.
It was? Since when? I thought the argument was about having a well-balanced party with plenty of backup in case of emergencies...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 03:39 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 10:39 PM #2583 of 4284
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
It was? Since when? I thought the argument was about having a well-balanced party with plenty of backup in case of emergencies...
You're sorta contradicting yourself there.

As I said, I would rather spend x hours on leveling three characters than x hours leveling all six. Thus ending up with three characters that are much stronger than the other three. Instead of having all six be somwhere inbetween.

I don't suppose it really makes that much differance as far as how difficult things will be for you, it's just that doing it that way must save you from a lot of fuss and bother.

FELIPE NO
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 03:47 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 01:47 PM #2584 of 4284
Quote:
You're sorta contradicting yourself there.
I apologize. Sometimes I just have an incredibly difficult time properly articulating my thoughts.

Quote:
As I said, I would rather spend x hours on leveling three characters than x hours leveling all six. Thus ending up with three characters that are much stronger than the other three. Instead of having all six be somwhere inbetween.
Or, I could have six characters that are all extremely powerful. For me personally, time spent levelling up never enters the equation, because I have an extreme tolerance for tedious, boring tasks.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Dec 1, 2006 at 03:54 PM.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 04:01 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 11:01 PM #2585 of 4284
I don't even think leveling is that boring in Final Fantasy XII. Compared to other titles in the series, doing optional stuff such as sidequests, hunts and exploring seems to be a very important aspect of the game and I'm enjoying it.

Having all characters on a more or less equal level just came natural to me. I don't have favorite characters and the game is so wonderfully balanced that I didn't have the heart to neglect some characters in favor of others.

Regardless of what Licences you earn first, there will always be party members with advantages over certain enemies. Take weapons with element effects for example. I pretty much kept to everybody's "default" main weapon, so switching party members according to the type of enemy you're fighting actually makes a lot of sense for me.

P.S.: I just ordered that Bradygames guide for 15 Euros. I hope it's worth it.

Last edited by Rock; Dec 1, 2006 at 04:03 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 04:03 PM #2586 of 4284
Originally Posted by seanne
Spoiler:
Is that so =D I wonder why they would do that? Sure, he can be damn difficult in the japanese version - pehaps even more difficult than Yazmat as you can't "escape" from him. But after all, he isn't an Omega for nothing. So 1 million sounds a bit weak =p
Spoiler:
Yup, IIRC there's 2 videos up on either google video or youtube by some guy who fought both the JP FFXII Omega and the US FFXII Omega, and after a few minutes, you could see the Omega-US had quite a big chunk put into his health. Apparently he's NOT a push over, as his HP might suggest, but his appareance blows (I've heard that he's just a big Mimic in this one...).

I'm going to try and steal Beastlord Horns... damn... Sagittarius Bow + Assassin's Arrows/Artemis Arrows + Cat-Ear Hood on Penelo is going rock something fierce. I found something interesting about Bows/Crossbows. The latter has a low base accuracy, while the former has its accuracy dropped in inclement weather. Bolts are status inflicting/ while arrrows are elemental. Bow damage is based on Str + Spd, Crossbow damage is based solely on Str. Oh, and the final Bow is stronger than the final crossbow.

Most amazing jew boots

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Dec 1, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 04:30 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 01:30 PM #2587 of 4284
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
Spoiler:
Yup, IIRC there's 2 videos up on either google video or youtube by some guy who fought both the JP FFXII Omega and the US FFXII Omega, and after a few minutes, you could see the Omega-US had quite a big chunk put into his health. Apparently he's NOT a push over, as his HP might suggest, but his appareance blows (I've heard that he's just a big Mimic in this one...).

I'm going to try and steal Beastlord Horns... damn... Sagittarius Bow + Assassin's Arrows/Artemis Arrows + Cat-Ear Hood on Penelo is going rock something fierce. I found something interesting about Bows/Crossbows. The latter has a low base accuracy, while the former has its accuracy dropped in inclement weather. Bolts are status inflicting/ while arrrows are elemental. Bow damage is based on Str + Spd, Crossbow damage is based solely on Str. Oh, and the final Bow is stronger than the final crossbow.
Humbaba Mistant, not normal Humbabas. It's a side-boss.

And, in the guide anyways, Yiazmat looks badass still. I'll see for sure when I do the hunt

Most amazing jew boots
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 04:32 PM #2588 of 4284
Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
Humbaba Mistant, not normal Humbabas. It's a side-boss.

And, in the guide anyways, Yiazmat looks badass still. I'll see for sure when I do the hunt
QUE!? So, what the hell does this mean? Once the sideboss is dead, I can't get any more horns? =(

Edit: Damn, forgot to ask the right question. Where can I find Humbaba Mistant?

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Dec 1, 2006 at 04:59 PM.
Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 05:02 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 02:02 PM #2589 of 4284
He's in Nabudis behind the Door of Horrors, unlocked with the Medallion of Bravery. (Part of the sidequest for Chaos)

Most amazing jew boots
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 05:22 PM #2590 of 4284
He's in Nabudis behind the Door of Horrors, unlocked with the Medallion of Bravery. (Part of the sidequest for Chaos)
Speak o great Cobalt! I have no idea how to get that medallion, though I HAVE been inside the Necrohol. I spoke with the Nu Mou in Old Dalan's place and he says I need to find 2 more medallion pieces. Is this part of that quest?

Does the dusty letter have something to do with it too?

Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 05:57 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 02:57 PM #2591 of 4284
Yeah it does... I haven't done it myself, I'm just uh referring to the 2-page spread the guide has on it. There's a lot of text, it's big and complicated

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 06:17 PM #2592 of 4284
Yeah it does... I haven't done it myself, I'm just uh referring to the 2-page spread the guide has on it. There's a lot of text, it's big and complicated
Great way to be a damn tease, Cobalt. =/ So I can't get the horns because I have to get the last two medallion pieces and that has to do something with the dusty letter that references directions that I have no idea how to interpret (southeast of rabanastre? Of the house you find the letter it? Speak to the children?).

2 pages... most of it text?

seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 06:25 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2006, 01:25 AM #2593 of 4284
Speak o great Cobalt! I have no idea how to get that medallion, though I HAVE been inside the Necrohol. I spoke with the Nu Mou in Old Dalan's place and he says I need to find 2 more medallion pieces. Is this part of that quest?

Does the dusty letter have something to do with it too?
I guess the fragment you've given him already was the one you got from defeating Ultros (you know, the black hentai-slime)? The other two that you need are both to be found in areas within the city of Rabanastre. The location of one of them is hinted at in the dusty letter. As for the other one, you could try asking around

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 06:55 PM #2594 of 4284
Originally Posted by seanne
I guess the fragment you've given him already was the one you got from defeating Ultros (you know, the black hentai-slime)? The other two that you need are both to be found in areas within the city of Rabanastre. The location of one of them is hinted at in the dusty letter. As for the other one, you could try asking around
Heh, when I read the conditions for his appearing, I dubbed him 4Chan Flan. Awesome that his name was Ultros, or something close to it, and he was purple/black to boot.

Does the letter's directions assume your starting point is the house in Lowtown where you get the letter? The other one should be fairly easy to do. Thanks for the hints seanne.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

lassic
Syklis Green

Member 2140

Level 8.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 07:41 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 05:41 PM #2595 of 4284
My question is, how do you get a sandstorm to start? I kept going into the caverns and back out but the most I could get is a slightly grey sky.
A sandstorm generally appears after you enter the Wyrm's Nest (the small patch that connects the Ester- and Westersand). Not sure if it's a 100% certainty, but it's always happened when I hit that area.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:08 PM #2596 of 4284
Originally Posted by lassic
A sandstorm generally appears after you enter the Wyrm's Nest (the small patch that connects the Ester- and Westersand). Not sure if it's a 100% certainty, but it's always happened when I hit that area.
Hmm, thanks, I'll try that. After I beat the Earth Tyrant, I never really passed through there again.

Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:28 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 05:28 PM #2597 of 4284
I have the item to defeat the Earth Tyrant, but I'm holding off on it until later... because I wandered through the Westersand today and there was a sandstorm and Gnoma Entite in every single map I went through. So I'm afraid that if I beat him, the quantity of sandstorms would decrease drastically... Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:34 PM #2598 of 4284
I have the item to defeat the Earth Tyrant, but I'm holding off on it until later... because I wandered through the Westersand today and there was a sandstorm and Gnoma Entite in every single map I went through. So I'm afraid that if I beat him, the quantity of sandstorms would decrease drastically... Maybe I'm just paranoid.
If this helps ease your paranoia any, I've never defeated a Gnoma Entite, so that wouldn't explain the drop in sandstorms (or in my case, a complete lack of them in the first place).

Vash
Chocobo

Member 1502

Level 12.05

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:06 PM #2599 of 4284
I finally got to the room in the Great Crystal where I thought the Stone Sword would be...but it turned out to be empty...no treasure box...no enemies...I'm dumbfounded...but the GameFAQs map said that it was a treasure room...and it hasn't been wrong yet...I'm confused...does anyone have any idea?

FELIPE NO

Sig and ava made by me
soulsteelgray
And now for something new

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:50 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 10:50 PM #2600 of 4284
Originally Posted by Vash
I finally got to the room in the Great Crystal where I thought the Stone Sword would be...but it turned out to be empty...no treasure box...no enemies...I'm dumbfounded...but the GameFAQs map said that it was a treasure room...and it hasn't been wrong yet...I'm confused...does anyone have any idea?
There's a possibility that the treasure chest has a certain chance of appearing every time you enter the Great Crystal. Why not try zoning in and out of the Great Crystal and see if it appears? I had to do that to get the Demonsbane sword in King Raithwall's Tomb. It was quite annoying to run to the secret passage, find no chest (or the chest that was there had some other kind of treasure), and then run all the way back to the Way Stone to teleport out in order to teleport back in to reset the chests in the tomb.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Final Fantasy XII