Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Saving and Roms

Radical
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 709

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:03 PM #1 of 11
Saving and Roms

If I were to save my game while playing a FFIV Rom using SNES9x (using the in game save feature, not the save state feature of SNES9x), would the save information be stored on the Rom? Or would it be stored somewhere else? In other words, if I were to begin using ZSNES to play FFIV instead of SNES9x, would I be able to leave off from my FFIV save point?

Most amazing jew boots
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:40 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 07:40 PM #2 of 11
Originally Posted by Yamamanama
It's stored in a seperate SRAM file. I'm not sure if you can play a SRAM made in SNES9X with ZSNES, mainly because I've never tried it.
It should work since the SRAM data saved is exactly the same as when it's saved to the cart, you might have to change the file extension though. There is a case when saving data will change your ROM, it only occurs in the case of Famicom Disk System ROMs and only if you specifically allow it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:07 PM #3 of 11
Although using snapshots is superior to SRAM, unless you use them to cheat. In which case they're twice as superior.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Overkill
Syklis Green

Member 1892

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:11 PM #4 of 11
I was pretty certain that the SRAM data was saved to an external file by the name [rom's name].srm, or at least, it is for ZSNES. That way when you download a ROM, it's a clean copy, with none of the last player's saves as long as it's just the .smc file. For ZSNES, the states are saved as .zst, .zs1, .zs2, et cetera. I don't know what file formats SNES9x uses. But it also utilizes outside files, at any rate.

Perhaps they use an identical file format and only the emulation of the hardware is different? That's unlikely though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Radical
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 709

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:43 PM #5 of 11
Alright, I found the .srm file associated with my FFIV rom, which essentially answers my question. Thank you for your thorough answers.

Originally Posted by Legato
Although using snapshots is superior to SRAM, unless you use them to cheat. In which case they're twice as superior.
Why are snapshots superior to SRAM?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:50 PM #6 of 11
I think he means Save States, and they're not "superior" but they do load a lot faster. Basically, instead of loading your game data from within the game you have the emulator return to the exact state it was in at the moment you saved. Although there are some instances where this can actually screw up your game.

How ya doing, buddy?
Bodomi
Perkele

Member 2202

Level 11.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:09 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 09:09 AM #7 of 11
Save states tend to mess up if you've saved them with different emulator version. At least that happened to me with Seiken Densetsu 3. :/
I've been using SRAM save whenever possible since then.

Most amazing jew boots
CileGray
Chocobo

Member 611

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:23 AM #8 of 11
Why are they superior ?

Because :

1) You can save up to 10
2) They can each hold their own SRM if you want.
3) You can save/load anywhere anytime.

Now, how about that

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I'm a zombie.
Radical
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 709

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 09:51 PM #9 of 11
That does make sense, thanks for the info.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:06 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 08:06 PM #10 of 11
Originally Posted by Magic
I think he means Save States, and they're not "superior" but they do load a lot faster. Basically, instead of loading your game data from within the game you have the emulator return to the exact state it was in at the moment you saved. Although there are some instances where this can actually screw up your game.
Here's the advantages and Disadavntages of SRAM and Savestates:

SRAM:
Advantages:
1. Very small filesize
2. Cross emulator compatible (at least it should be, unless the emualtor handles SRAM in a shitty way).
3. True to how the game should be played
4. Should work with every version of the ROM that uses it (occasionally in the case of the same ROM from different regions)
5. Doesn't crap out after 10 years like in the real carts (just had to say it)

Disadvantages:
1. Doesn't save exact state
2. Some games use an SRAM feature as copy protection (meaning it tries to save SRAM data, and if it succedes, the ROM won't run properly or at all)
3. Not all ROMs support it
4. Only good for game saves

Savestates:
Advantages:
1. Saves the EXACT state of the ROM
2. Lets you cheat
3. Serves functions other than just for gameplay (like ROM hacking).

Disadvantages:
1. Not always cross-emulator compatible
2. Faulty in some emulators (like Sega CD states in Gens, they are a hack/bug)
3. Lets you cheat
4. Large filesize
5. Doesn't always work with different versions of the same game

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Saving and Roms