Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Official Nintendo Wii thread
Closed Thread

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 09:42 AM #351 of 1979
It's locked, officially

I hope all this Gamestop bullshit is a filthy lie, as well... If that's true, it's going to be much harder to get my PS3 so I can make triple profit via eBay

FELIPE NO
JackyBoy
A Cinnamon Role?

Member 2219

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:19 AM #352 of 1979
Originally Posted by Pez
A weather channel is awesome. Imagine: raining today, raining in Animal Crossing.
Woot, time to play TP. Whoops, better check on the weather first... ??

It's still kind of a silly idea since any of the next-gen consoles could have this feature if developers wanted to include it in their games. The dashboard in the interface itself isn't what unlocks a feature like this. It's just collecting weather data from the internet. Unless of course the Wii actually comes equipped with a barometer and other sensors.

It's likely just me but a feature like this in a game wouldn't really get me too excited. I don't see any special connection between it being sunny outside my apartment and it being sunny inside my game.

Ganon: Link, this time NOTHING can stop me.
::Hurricane Katrina hits land::
Ganon: WTF *blub, blub, blub*

Hilarity.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

You're staring at me like I just asked you what the fucking square root of something.
Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:35 AM Local time: Sep 17, 2006, 01:35 AM #353 of 1979
An advantage would be that you'll know the weather of the game all the time, so if it's raining you can say "oh cool, better quickly pop in Animal Crossing to catch that fish".

How ya doing, buddy?
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:24 AM Local time: Sep 16, 2006, 09:24 AM #354 of 1979
Gamestop and EB have been crap places to buy games for a long, long time. My pre-order will probably come from Amazon or I'll go at midnight at a place without pre-orders.

Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey
Oh my! 3D Balloon Fight!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
and Brandy does her best to understand
CloudNine
#ABCDEF

Member 43

Level 18.48

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:29 AM Local time: Sep 16, 2006, 11:29 AM #355 of 1979
Apparently Amazon has already sold out of Preorders.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii/d...8&s=videogames

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:48 AM Local time: Sep 16, 2006, 06:48 PM #356 of 1979
Originally Posted by BlueMikey
Oh my! 3D Balloon Fight!
That's the closest we'll get to a sequel. Har!

I'm excited overall. I don't remember if I placed a preorder yet, though. Uh-oh...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by surasshu; Sep 16, 2006 at 11:55 AM.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:46 PM Local time: Sep 16, 2006, 11:46 AM #357 of 1979
I think i might wait until 2007 to purchase my Wii. As it stands, the games i really want will be coming out in 2007, and with the except of Zelda, the other launch titles i want, i can stand to wait until the price of games comes down. That and it'll give me time to save up more money for more stuff.

I was speaking idiomatically.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:58 PM #358 of 1979
Geez, it's like Nintendo's just piling on the bad news now.

Only a composite cable is included. You'll have to buy a separate S-Video or Component one if you have a good TV.
http://gonintendo.com/?p=5655

Wii is NOT region-free.
http://www.eurofusion.net/fullnews.p...at=11&archive=

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:37 PM #359 of 1979
Gah, that blows... Hopefully it will use the existing connector that they've used on all their systems, so that people with GC component cables can just use that instead.

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:40 PM #360 of 1979
Doesn't bother me at all, I've always used A/V cables.....Long Live Yellow/White/Red!

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:43 PM Local time: Sep 16, 2006, 01:43 PM #361 of 1979
Originally Posted by sprouticus
Gah, that blows... Hopefully it will use the existing connector that they've used on all their systems, so that people with GC component cables can just use that instead.
It's still a downer nonetheless. Some of us take our cube with us and having to unplug the wii to get at the component cables each time would be shitty. They damn well better sell these in stores instead of the online only crap. I agree wholeheartedly.

Omni, use Component if you get the chance. You'll never go back. I gaurantee it. Even on SD resolutions.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 03:34 PM #362 of 1979
I'm pretty satisfied with the A/V though, since I've gotten used to it. Never used S-Video and above, since my TV is like 10 years old and my systems don't even go directly into my TV, but through the VCR, which is like 15 years old.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:02 PM Local time: Sep 17, 2006, 06:02 AM #363 of 1979
I use AV, My brother always goes by SD. I don't much see the diff on current gen, although he says he can tell.

FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:06 PM #364 of 1979
How can you people not see how blurry it is? I guess you adjust to it, but still... the moment I even used an s-video connector for my PS2 (on my old tv) I noticed a tremendous improvement in the clarity of the screen. No one is pretending it somehow makes the graphics any better, but the overall sharpness was improved dramatically and the colors were more intense and vivid. <_<;

Most amazing jew boots
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:10 PM #365 of 1979
I've always used AV as well, and it really doesn't look bad at all to me. I bought an S-Video cable for something else recently, so maybe I'll hook up my PS2 with it later just out of curiousity. I doubt it'll make enough of a difference for me to care though.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:20 PM Local time: Sep 17, 2006, 06:20 AM #366 of 1979
Originally Posted by Forsety
How can you people not see how blurry it is? I guess you adjust to it, but still... the moment I even used an s-video connector for my PS2 (on my old tv) I noticed a tremendous improvement in the clarity of the screen. No one is pretending it somehow makes the graphics any better, but the overall sharpness was improved dramatically and the colors were more intense and vivid. <_<;
Is that the difference? SD makes it more crisp?

Overall, I acutally dont like more 'crisp' graphics. The GC ports of Zelda looked worse than the N64 because they made everythign so crisp. The crisp details just make the polygons way too apparent. Bad polygons in games always bother me. If AV helps hide that, I'd probably prefer it for some games XD. Although, with the new systems, the polygon count may throw that arguement out the window.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by avanent; Sep 16, 2006 at 04:22 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 05:01 PM #367 of 1979
I'm not going to get into a thing where the same people who laughed it up that the PS3 wouldn't come with an HDMI cable are now downplaying Nintendo's similar scenario with only providing AV cables.

What I will get into is the latest information concerning that BS pre-order. The word around is that this promotion is only for the Gamestops in Hawaii, and will very likely not happen in the US.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/16/ru...p-reservation/

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 05:02 PM #368 of 1979
It's not just making the picture crisp, guys. It actually seperates the colors enough so that there's far better color saturation and smoothness. With colors and edges clearly defined, and the brightness/darkness signal on another cable you simply get a far better picture.

Yes, and this is on a regular old TV. It's way more pleasing to the eye, and IMO, enriches the gaming experience.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 05:15 PM #369 of 1979
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
I'm not going to get into a thing where the same people who laughed it up that the PS3 wouldn't come with an HDMI cable are now downplaying Nintendo's similar scenario with only providing AV cables.
Just to point out, the rather large difference between this and the PS3 not coming with an HDMI cable is that HD is a huge part of PS3's upgrade. It's meant to be played in HD, so it's silly for it not to include the cable to allow that. The Wii is simply coming with the AV cables that consoles usually include, which is fine by me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 05:37 PM #370 of 1979
S-video and above can make some games look like shit, I contest to that. I keep the standard cords connected in a different slot for when I want to play PSX games, for example, because the picture being 'enhanced' shows too many flaws in games like 'Valkyrie Profile' (very good example of how bad a game can look with s-video or above) for my liking.

Still, I'd say 85% of all ps2/gcn/etc games benefit; I can clearly see an improvement in Devil May Cry 3, Resident Evil 4, Fire Emblem POR or Zelda Windwaker just to name a few examples where the difference was especially noticeable to me.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 05:42 PM Local time: Sep 16, 2006, 03:42 PM #371 of 1979
Originally Posted by Tritoch
Just to point out, the rather large difference between this and the PS3 not coming with an HDMI cable is that HD is a huge part of PS3's upgrade. It's meant to be played in HD, so it's silly for it not to include the cable to allow that. The Wii is simply coming with the AV cables that consoles usually include, which is fine by me.
Yeah, I think it's a smarter move for Nintendo as they are marketing towards "everyone" anyway. Not everyone has an HDTV. I don't, though I'll be in the market for one in Ocobter (for Final Fantasy XII and later the Wii). Everyone will be able to accept the RCA plugs for their current home sets. The majority of "everyone" does not have an HDTV. Why should Nintendo include a plug "everyone" can't use? Especially if you're gonna be moving the Wii around (since a lot of people care about the launch color), the RCA plug is easily the most useful one. If Nintendo included S-video, kudos! But it'd be a waste, indeed.

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 05:52 PM Local time: Sep 17, 2006, 12:52 AM #372 of 1979
That's odd, I've never seen the difference and I use S-video now. Maybe I'll go back and forth between component and S-video and see if I notice. Then again I have glasses and they're not the cleanest ever. =D

I wonder if the Gamecube's Freeloader will work on the Wii.

Most amazing jew boots
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 05:57 PM Local time: Sep 17, 2006, 07:57 AM #373 of 1979
Originally Posted by Forsety
S-video and above can make some games look like shit, I contest to that. I keep the standard cords connected in a different slot for when I want to play PSX games, for example, because the picture being 'enhanced' shows too many flaws in games like 'Valkyrie Profile' (very good example of how bad a game can look with s-video or above) for my liking.

Still, I'd say 85% of all ps2/gcn/etc games benefit; I can clearly see an improvement in Devil May Cry 3, Resident Evil 4, Fire Emblem POR or Zelda Windwaker just to name a few examples where the difference was especially noticeable to me.
I play alot of older games too. And the extra detail just makes them look bad also.

I'll have to compare SD to AV on a few of the newer ones though.

Originally Posted by Tritoch
Exactly. One of the main 'reasons' the PS3 is so expensive is because its HD. I didn't know it didn't come with HD cables though. I find humor in that XD.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:14 PM #374 of 1979
I've always played Gamecube with AV cables, and even on my cousin's 32" LCD HDTV, It still looks pretty damn good. Maybe it's just that it doesn't bother me. Again, being AV does not bother me at all since I've always used AV and never used S-Video, much less Component. Now if it had a VGA port on it, that wouldn't be bad since I could also play on my computer monitor. (I'm in college right now) and I have my entire desktop setup with me. It would take seconds to switch VGA connections to a Wii.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:49 PM Local time: Sep 16, 2006, 04:49 PM #375 of 1979
My TV isn't all that great, and I have my PS2 in the component slots anyway so I can watch DVDs at the best quality possible. I've always just used the composite cables for the Gamecube and, while I do see it is a little burry compared to a PS2 game, I have to almost play them back to back to make any noticable difference.

Nintendo isn't going to put in 7 different cables for every possible configuration, and composite is still the best way to go to be compatable with the largest number of people. Is anyone really all that surprised? (Psst, it also doesn't have Blu-Ray.)

I do agree with the sentiment though; I'll be upset if they don't have component cables available for me when I pick up my Wii.

FELIPE NO
and Brandy does her best to understand
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Official Nintendo Wii thread