Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] The Dark Knight (Batman Begins Sequel)

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2007, 06:26 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2007, 05:26 PM #1 of 397
The new Joker reminds me of Kakihara from Ichi the Killer. Tadanobu Asano should be in every movie.
Except the ones that require, y'know, acting.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2008, 06:05 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2008, 05:05 PM #2 of 397
I also hear
Spoiler:
Batman
is in this movie.

Keep it under your hats.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2008, 06:05 PM Local time: Jul 16, 2008, 05:05 PM 1 1 #3 of 397
I just saw this movie last night and it was insane!

I won't put any spoilers in here, but it's going to be overly annoying when people come back from seeing this saying HEATH dominated the role as the joker. Yes, he did a great job, but I can pretty much see any big name who likes comic books wrap themselves in a role and do just as good.

Beyond that, this movie is a crazy ride. There are so many tense scenes in this movie that it brings you to the edge of your seat in 'awe' because of what you're seeing in front of you.

It's crazy how you can see something very violent happen, know it's fucked up, and because of a delivered line, you'll laugh about it and thinks it's cool.

Batman had some voice problems, character wise it made sense on why he had his voice so deep, but while watching him, I was just thinking of Solid Snake talking to any given character in Metal Gear Solid 4.

I can't wait to see this movie again tonight.
Yeah. Any big name actor who likes comic books could have done this just as well.

So, uh, Vin Diesel would have torn up the role of the Joker? Oh yeah, spot on comment there.

No, not anyone could have played this role so well. Heath was fantastic at it, and stop trying to be internet cool by stepping aside and saying anyone could have done it. It just isn't true. There are a handful of people who could have played the role as well, but you know what? There were a handful of people who could have played Henry in Lion in Winter as well as Peter O'Toole. That doesn't mean he didn't completely own the role and put on one of the best performances in film history. It doesn't diminish what he did. All you can put up against it is "maybe someone else could have done a decent job of it." But that doesn't fucking -matter-. The point is he's the guy in the role and he stomped it. Get a grip. That's pretty much the most inane argument I've ever heard about an actor. "Sure he was brilliant, but I mean, someone else might have been brilliant too. So I don't want to hear about it." Please.

Also, did you see Batman Begins? Just curious. Because he uses that voice through there as well. It's not the movie's fault you played a shitty game and now have a problem with relating it to things that don't suck.

I'm all for criticism of this movie, there's plenty you could level against it, but could you try actually finding problems with the movie, instead of just rambling like a retard and expecting people to give a shit about your baseless opinions?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:29 PM Local time: Jul 16, 2008, 06:29 PM #4 of 397
For the guy who quoted me above.

I am barely on this site at all, it's great to come and read topics with interesting and well thought out opinions. I think you're to wrapped up in a message board if you get so angry over something so small.

What I am saying is fair, I am not trying to find anything 'wrong' with the movie. I loved every minute of it and I am going to watch it again tonight. The little things I pointed out weren't 'bad' at all, just little things that I took notice of, such as batman's voice.

You're the one trying to pull negativity out of my comments for some reason.
No, I'm saying that if you're going to be critical, be critical in an intelligent or at least informed way. The any number of people could have done it argument? What the hell? Useless.

I'm not angry with you, I just think you have an incredibly idiotic approach to what you're doing. Just because it's the internet doesn't mean you have to be completely without intellect in what you do. Just think about your argument concerning how people shouldn't praise Heath Ledger because MAYBE someone else could have done as good a job. If you really think that holds water, maybe you should spend even less time here than you already do.

Consider coming back never if you can't see what's wrong with the logic there.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:04 PM Local time: Jul 16, 2008, 07:04 PM #5 of 397
Then again, Conroy has been at it for ten years and actually has gone so far to literally dissect Bruce Wayne into Hamlet.
I think you nailed the biggest reason right there. This guy has had a lot of practice with this, and a lot of time to immerse himself in the role.

Though even early in TAS, he was ridiculously good. So he might just be some sort of voice acting freak.

How ya doing, buddy?

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:11 PM Local time: Jul 16, 2008, 09:11 PM #6 of 397
I think the other reason is that Conroy is a theater actor. Aside from doing some small bit parts and a TV show, everything else is Shakespeare and the like.

Similarly, this is why we like Ewan McGreggor and Hugh Jackman and Bob Peck. Theres something to be said about that particular kind of training.
Agreed. Entirely. They bring a certain depth to it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:12 AM Local time: Jul 17, 2008, 01:12 AM #7 of 397
I'm not saying people shouldn't praise Heath Ledger, I am saying he did a good job. I think because of his death, he's going to overshadow how well the other actors were.

Whatever else I said is strictly opinion, yes he was badass and cool, but not something I fell in 'awe' of. I'm not even trying to argue, you picked apart what I said and told me 'it's wrong'.

Not trying to be an asshole, but you need to lighten up a little bit.
No, that's not what you said. Or at least you didn't do a very good job conveying that meaning. If you'd said that, I wouldn't have argued. Of course his death is going to be a major point of interest for people. And of course it's going to overshadow aspects of his performance and that of others.

What you said was that a lot of other people could have done as good a job, and insinuated that his abilities were somehow overestimated here. So either you're not doing a very good job of getting your point across or you're backpeddling because you clearly didn't know what you were talking about.

Not trying to be an asshole, but just because you have an opinion doesn't mean people won't dissect it when it's clearly flawed.

FELIPE NO

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2008, 05:52 AM Local time: Jul 18, 2008, 04:52 AM 2 #8 of 397
I just got back. I thought this was great all around. Seriously perfect acting. Heath WILL win that Oscar.
Originally Posted by Rotorblade
Originally Posted by Denicalis
However, who the fuck is mentioning Heath alongside Oscar? Seriously?
Stupid people, who else?
Keep dreaming, kids.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:57 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2008, 08:57 PM 1 #9 of 397
As for Heath Ledger, he is The Joker. He did a marvelous job. He's a shoo-in for a Best Actor nom, if not the award itself.
Translation: "I know nothing about films, or how they work, but I'll make sweeping comments anyway."

Most amazing jew boots

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:13 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2008, 09:13 PM #10 of 397
Yeah, that's it. It's certainly not that there is no way in hell Heath will get an Oscar for playing a fake-crazy (read: not even remotely realistic) person in a comic book movie. It won't happen. The academy never comes close to this kind of choice.

Was he good? Yes. Very. Will he win an Oscar? No chance in hell. Will he get a nomination? Almost assuredly no.

Liking things to the point of having no logic at all? That's a problem, yes.

And Cat, you keep thinking intelligent is just a way for people to think they're better than you. Good hustle, internet nobody #10383.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:40 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2008, 10:40 PM #11 of 397
Yeah dont post your opinions about the movie or actor anymore, that is, unless you are a film school grad or know the ins and outs of hollywood.

What a bunch of a-holes.
Or have some basic knowledge about the film industry, yeah. Please don't talk unless you know what you're talking about.

Man, what a bunch of elitist pricks.

Also, no, the majority of the SAG awards are voted on by actors, not the Oscars.

EDIT:

Sass, I'm not sure how you were underwhelmed by Eckhart, he did very well given how much he had to work with. Also, the reason it dragged on was some screenplay issues (Dead, now not dead. Oh but SHE'S totally dead. For reals. Could have cut out a step there.) as well as a few issues with the writing getting very over the top from time to time (immovable object speech was rubbish. As was the whole Joker is an agent of chaos and hates plans-but-uses-plans-all-the-time bullshit, not to mention the whole fifteen minute opening was plagued with troubles.) but overall, I'd say the biggest reason you didn't like it was exactly what you said: You're not a Batman fan. It's like going to Field of Dreams with no concept of the Black Sox. It's just not going to be the same experience.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Jul 20, 2008 at 11:46 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 05:11 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 04:11 AM #12 of 397
FUUUCK YEAR, Batman. I enjoyed it.

I was however, disappointed by the lack of Audi and Burger King in the movie. Am i rite, Deni?
ur so rong.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 05:37 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 04:37 AM #13 of 397
Eh, I'm a huge Batman fan. Hell, I know who Ducard was from the comics before they used the name and not the character in Batman Begins - and I was disappointed in this movie.
I didn't say anyone who liked Batman would love this movie. I said it would be hard for someone who didn't like Batman to care and get involved.

I was speaking idiomatically.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 05:45 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 04:45 AM #14 of 397
Wait, you mean those guys at the beginning were working for the joker? The guys in the clown faces worked for a crazy guy called the Joker? Man, I really wish there'd been some audio clues to make it more salient for me that the Joker was the boss of that clown gang. Because man, they sure didn't let me know the JOKER JOKER JOKER JOKER JOKER JOKER etc.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 07:59 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 06:59 PM 2 #15 of 397
All right, let's get one thing straight right from the beginning: This movie isn't perfect. It's far from it. All those reviews you see stating how near perfect the movie is? They're lying. There are some really blatant flaws in it.

But it is salvaged quite nicely by other aspects, thankfully. So before I lean into this, I'm stating quite plainly: I think you should see this movie.

Now, I went into this movie fairly hyped. I'm a Batman fan going back a long way, and I'd seen some early footage of Heath Ledger playing the Joker and I was intrigued. I liked a lot of things about the hype going in, though I was understandably skeptical about the Oscar buzz surrounding Ledger (and still am) and screams about this being the best movie in years.

Twenty minutes in, I thought the movie was going to be rubbish. The bank heist scene was one of the worst written bits of script I've ever seen. How many times do we need to drop the Joker's name? I'm an intelligent guy, I could draw the connection between clown masks and the later appearance of the Joker. Nevermind the playing card at the end of Begins, the visual clues in the bank heist alone were more than enough. I felt talked down to and it was irritating. Also, you're telling me NO ONE would notice one of that line of school buses covered in mortar, or, I don't know, PULLING OUT OF THE WALL OF A BANK? Come on.

That scene could have been so much better if they'd just had the guys offing each other one after the other, with the eventual reveal of the Joker at the end. We'd have gotten it. We're all readers, here. We don't need our hands held. Less is more, Chris Nolan and Chris Nolan's brother. Less is more.

This movie also suffers from an unfortunate bout of Return of the King-ism. The gazillion endings really hamper the pacing, which had just begun to recover from the Jim-Gordon-Is-Dead-No-He-Isn't-But-Rachel-Really-IS-dead-LOL abortion at the midpoint. Want me to care about someone being dead? A) don't make them Maggie Gyllenhaal delivering a painfully flat performance, B) don't kill off someone and make them come back to life ten minutes before you kill off someone else. It dampened the effect, quite noticably. Structure is an important thing, and it just got undercut by that bit of wandering story.

Also, and this is largely nerdery so don't count this as film criticism, how are you going to have Batman use guns on the batpod? Really? REALLY?

Okay, onto the really important bits that everyone cares about.

How was the Joker as a character? Well, he was entertaining, and certainly fun to watch. A few people have gone off on his being contradictory, but that doesn't bother me. I think the agent of chaos rubbish was largely a story invented for Dent's benefit and can be chalked up to the multitude of stories concerning how he got his facial scars; dude just likes fucking with people. HOWEVER, there was entirely too much time spent with Joker explaining his motivations. Especially with that godawful soliloquy he delivered once he was captured by The Batman.

You know when the Joker was truly effective? When he was silently staring through prison bars, or performing magic tricks, or riding in the backseat of a police car with his face hanging out the window like the family dog. The less he explained himself, the better he worked. Whenever they started delving into the nature of Joker's madness, it cheapened him. Joker summed up his motivation properly twice: "You're just too much fun" and "this city deserves a better class of criminal." That's it. That's all you need. None of this terribly written immovable object rubbish. Why does he do it? Because he's good at it, and he likes it. The thing that let me enjoy Joker in this flick was thinking of him as Machiavellian rather than an agent of chaos.

So how about Harvey Dent? How did Dent work? Surprisingly well, given he's basically a narrative device. Eckhart is an actor I've really liked ever since I saw him in Thank You For Smoking, and though I wasn't as dazzled by him here, it was reminiscent of Benicio Del Toro in Usual Suspects, taking what could have been a throwaway character and making him memorable. The little teasings of his being a less than savoury guy, threatening the mobster, railing against Batman, the fact he's an ex-IA weasel, it was all nicely set-up for his eventual turn towards Two Face. Of course, if you know Batman at all, you saw it coming a mile off, but if I hadn't known anything about the comics at all, I'd have appreciated the "live long enough to see yourself become the villain" bit more. As it stood, I liked the fall of Dent, and the way he was manipulated into not-evil, but just frustration. He did everything right, he played by the rules, he was a good guy, and all it got him was a dead fiancee (he should thank Joker for that bit) and a burned up face. I appreciated they never made him overtly evil, just a guy with a strong sense of justice getting pushed a little too far and losing his grip on what makes him tick.

Now. As for THE BATMAN. Great Bruce Wayne. Great, fantastic, brilliant. Loved him basically playing his character from American Psycho. He came off as egotistical, arrogant and a complete prick. Great. That's Bruce Wayne. I loved it. The massive control freak nature was there, it worked. Now, the batvoice. Yes, it's irritating, but we all knew that. For some reason it didn't bother me as much this time out, probably because I was used to it. The one thing I was truly glad I did before seeing this was watch the Gotham Knight, as it worked as a very nice tonal accompaniment to the film, especially as it concerned Batman's increasing frustration with what he had to be. I could have used a bit more mortality from Batman, see him a little more battle damaged and beat up, as they did with Gotham Knight, a little of that internal conflict externalised. He's getting sloppy as his focus becomes less. He's never meant to be a hero, he makes a lousy hero, and he knows it. And this time, can we not have Jim Gordon narrate HOW he's going to be the whipping boy for the city when they've just explained it to us, please?

Now, on the upside, the score was wonderfully matched to the movie. And it was shot exceptionally well from a cinematography perspective. Depth of focus, colour contrasts, transitions and framing were exquisite. I was especially impressed with the muted sounds as Joker hung his head out the window after escaping Police custody. That moment of sheer elation worked so well without doing anything overt to highlight it. It was what the entire movie should have been.

Also, Chris Nolan has learned how to shoot an action sequence. Good on him. Much better than the atrocity that was Batman Begins fight sequences. The whole movie had a fantastic tone, and that's what tilts me from not liking it to enjoying it. Despite some major flaws with the screenplay, it still managed to feel dark and brooding while keeping my attention with decent pacing (with certain exceptions, as I've pointed out) and it's this overall tone that keeps me from calling this movie overhyped rubbish. I think it was Sass who pointed out that if you strip away all the Batman stuff, it's just an action film with delusions of grandeur. Well no kidding, that's what it is even -with- the Batman aspects of it. But it's a pointless revelation. Action films are a genre to themselves, and at least this movie attempts to do something beyond the basics, although I think it overshoots and hurts itself at times. Comparing this movie to things like Blue Velvet is like comparing Indiana Jones to Bridge on the River Kwai. It's apples and oranges.

No, it's not as smart as people make it out to be, but in terms of action movies, it's smarter than most. The problem is simply when it tries too hard and makes itself look like a kid in political palace arguing about how Islam is fine because no one gets raped in Iran. Sometimes it's best just to be concise and not make yourself look like the complete git you really are.

I'll take Dark Knight, and even really pandering pseudo-intellectual schlock like Equilibrium any day. Because do you know what action movies are when they lose the delusions of grandeur?

Spoiler:

Yeah. I'm siding with delusions of grandeur here. Even pseudo-intellectualism beats that shit any day of the week. It's a comic book movie that is actually a decent ride. I personally hope it rubs off on the rest of the genre, and we see less Iron Man and more Batman. Definitely watchable and enjoyable if you ignore some fatal flaws, but the hype is just that.

FELIPE NO

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 08:17 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 07:17 PM #16 of 397
You son of a bitch, Deni. What did Iron Man ever do to you!? You try to sell some goddamned cars and look what you have to go off at the mouth about. We all know what this is about. This is what happens when an advertisable force hits a guy who's father never bought him a goddamned Whopper.
You got me. I hate Iron Man because I'm a Wendy's guy.

Now you know my secret (delicious baconator-laden) shame.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:04 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 08:04 PM #17 of 397
I disagree and adamantly - and I'll tell you why if you give me enough elbow room.

Pseudo-intellectualisms got us crap like V For Vendetta (which is basically backhanded support of fascism) and Pan's Labyrinth (Liberal apologist bullshit for the Franco regime) while actual genuine criticisms of fascism or liberal stupidity like Starship Troopers are shoe-horned as nihilistic garbage. (People who like TDK cannot like Starship Troopers - because one force-feeds the audience while the other makes absolutely no qualms with its moral uncertainty.)

Protip: Starship Troopers is one of the most important movies you will ever watch because it breaks the single most sacred convention of war movies - and ends up making a much more important point on the topic of war than Platoon or Saving Private Ryan ever could attempt in their best wet dreams.

The Dark Knight is similar. The movie is handing a gun loaded with half-assed bullshit to a crowd of comic book fans in an roughshod attempt to be intelligent. Now, I'm all for intellectual comic book movies that fail in-so-far as they're earnest in the attempt (see - Hulk) but TDK is nothing more than a series of community college midterm essays on some half-understood Jungian imagery and maybe some super-basic concepts of duology thrown in.

This is dangerous in the ways that Kevin Smith is dangerous - its not intellectual, its fucking Philosophy For Dummies. So now you've armed every Joe Queer and Betsy Buttfuck with some stupid egotistical chin-stroke where they all can argue about topics that go straight over their fucking IQs.

"Yes," they agree together, "Joker does complete Batman!"

No no no. Thats something which has been discussed and taken apart and insinuated at for 60 years; if you're a screenwriter and you can't say such a thing in subtle terms, you shouldn't be writing this kind of shit. This is like letting Maxim into Joseph Campbell's private study.

I know you get this Deni, and thats why its frustrating to me. With more time, perhaps you'll notice that the cracks in the movie are in fact faults which the whole thing comes apart under. Its pop culture intellectualism for the people who need to be smashed over the head with Jim Beam bottles to see the obvious. You are not so stupid and neither am I - and liking a movie for those reasons is to lower yourself to the ignorances of the average American idiot.
But, see, that's not why I like it. Everything I dislike about this movie is precisely what you outlined. I hate the kids who walk out of that theatre pontificating about how Joker is a perfect foil for Batman, a mirror reflection blah blah blah. Absolute fucking twats. No argument from me. But you're approaching this from the perspective of it perpetuates idiocy and will encourage it. I'm approaching it from the perspective that idiocy is so firmly rooted in the culture that nothing is ever going to change it, and as such, I just assume I'll write reviews for people able to differentiate between faux-philosophy and actual intelligent conversation.

You're absolutely right, this is the sort of movie that leads to people running around in a coffee shop late at night, sipping a no-whip, extra hot, caramel latte and talking about Nietzsche while understanding nothing of the context. Won't argue that.

Maybe I'm just more pessimistic than you, but I think those people would do that about the Muppet Show or Finding Nemo if they didn't have another outlet. I just don't talk to them. I ignore these people. I live in a drivel free Universe where no one tries to explain to me how Joker is some sort of a biblical reference to Abel. So I ignore it.

My enjoyment of this film is purely based on the perspective of a guy who spends a lot of time behind a camera, and they crafted a nice bit of cinematic art. The story is rubbish, I agree with that. It's poorly written and it's painful, but I like the brush strokes on the canvas.

Idiots will proliferate not because there are movies for stupid people, but because stupid people lack the drive to read anything beyond school textbooks or graphic novels. It's not an intelligent flick, it's not even a step in the right direction, but it is a departure from something like Spider Man. And I'll take that for what it is. Not a victory, but at least a draw.

P.S.

I fucking love Starship Troopers.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:16 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 08:16 PM #18 of 397
Hogwash. Your defense is that people will kill people no matter what, so we shouldn't have gun laws.

Any type of bolstering the ignorant to remain ignorant and perpetuate ignorance is a bad thing and this movie is exactly this type of coddling.

I don't think I'd've found the exposition or the cliche crime set-ups or the average acting so insulting if the fucking thing didn't TELL YOU exactly what to think. Theres no fucking excuse for pulling the teeth out of the viper, except that everyone is afraid to be bitten and this movie simply attempts to gum everyone to death.
Agreed, which is largely why I lit into it. Far too much explanation, to the point I didn't have to think about a damn thing in it. And I violently disliked that. You're focusing on the bit where I said I preferred it to Live Free or Die Hard and said I think people should go watch it. You're ignoring the stuff in the middle where I rip into it for being incredibly flawed.

I think this is a Summer useless flick, and that it's better than Brendan Fraiser Goes to the Center Of the Planet 3D. So if you're going to go see a movie in the IMAX, this would be the one. I'm not saying I'm happy it's going to break Box Office records everywhere. I'm not saying it should be taught in film classes. Obviously it shouldn't be. It's simplistic and insulting in how its brought across. I just think it's the best bit of drivel out there.

Maybe the disconnect here is that I didn't preface this by saying I haven't been impressed with the movie industry in a very, very, very long time.

Though I am curious, LeHah. What's your take on the Prestige?

Edit:

And I don't -want- a draw. I -want- a great film and a renewal of intelligent film making. I'm saying -this- was a draw. You really think I enjoy this more than I do.

Most amazing jew boots

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:30 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 08:30 PM #19 of 397
I dug the Illusionist, quite a bit.

Also, we're completely agreed on what this movie represents. We just disagree on the hope for the future of our culture. That's a bloated topic you and I can get into on AIM sometime. But it's certainly fair to say that if you and I got a movie made the way we like them, it would do hideously at the box office.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:37 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 08:37 PM 1 #20 of 397
Guys. Has it ever occurred to you that, while your gripes and complaints about how a certain movie is made may or may not be warranted, you guys just happen to over-analyze every single thing to the point where you no longer enjoy a simple popcorn movie?
Yeah, I hear this a lot. And for me it comes down to the fact that I demand a little more out of a popcorn movie than a lot of people do. People say I over intellectualize the movie going experience, and I say people are too willing to shut their brains off for the sake of hollow entertainment. It's a trade off I'm not willing to make.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:06 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 09:06 PM #21 of 397
LZ, I don't think every movie will be the best movie ever made. I don't think every movie will have a perfect script. I just wish it would. If you're cool with things sucking, that's your problem.

And Beaner, the fact you put Transformers up as the opposing force shows that you missed the point. It's not that one isn't better than the other, it's that they could be SO MUCH BETTER.

I was speaking idiomatically.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:36 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 09:36 PM #22 of 397
It's not bitching and moaning, it's being critical. And it's not exactly a character trait to be shameful of.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:54 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 09:54 PM #23 of 397
It's not a matter of over-analyzing, it's a matter of analyzing. Critical thought is not pretentious, it's just underused.

And I'm sure there's people who set out to just make a flick for the sake of making a flick. But setting out to create something purely entertaining still requires you to have a plot, or a message. Something. Or else the movie just collapses into itself like so much boneless Orson Welles.

FELIPE NO

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:05 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 10:05 PM #24 of 397
Right, and that draws this conversation to a close.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 03:21 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 02:21 AM #25 of 397
Considering that the last movie to hold most of those records was fucking Spider-Man 3, I'd say lesser of two evils should come into play.
Touche.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] The Dark Knight (Batman Begins Sequel)