Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

A gamers' 6th sense

Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 02:53 PM #1 of 23
A gamers' 6th sense

Have you ever bought a game and just by say reading the manual, or looking at the back of the box. Assume this is going to be a badass game and come to find out you were right? The opposite applies as well. This only happened with..Suikoden II and Legend of Legaia and..Maximum Carnage on the Genesis(LEGENDARY GAME!) for me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:06 PM Local time: Apr 17, 2006, 11:06 AM #2 of 23
Vice City, God of War, ESP Galuda, Gitaroo Man, ICO, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X, Guilty Gear XX #Reload, Ace Combat Zero, Katamari/We Love, basically any title which is getting attention online. Okami is also going to be a great game, and I haven't even played it yet.

Reading reviews and watching trailers on gamespot doesn't hurt either.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
CileGray
Chocobo

Member 611

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:06 PM #3 of 23
Elixir, I don't think FFX could go into that list considering EVERYONE knew months in advance it would be a great game...

I will list my top super-fun mega number 1 of all time : Shining Tears. Too damn addictive.

How ya doing, buddy?
I'm a zombie.
Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:53 PM #4 of 23
Do they apply to sequels as well?

Pokemon Silver - I loved Red/Blue. I knew the next games would be better. 200+ Pokemon it said on the box. I couldn't help myself from drooling.

Phantom Dust - The cover looked amazing..

Golden Sun - Again, the cover caught my interest. The result? 20+ hours of gameplay.

Phoenix Wright - Ohh, don't get me started. When I read the manual, and it said I was assuming the role of a lawyer, I couldn't resist. I love this game to death, heh.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 07:11 PM #5 of 23
Originally Posted by Neogin
Phoenix Wright - Ohh, don't get me started. When I read the manual, and it said I was assuming the role of a lawyer, I couldn't resist. I love this game to death, heh.
Liar, i'm the one who told you that it was a really good game. <_<

Anyway, I guess for me, hitting it up in retrospect, Kirby Super Star.

7 games in 1. 7 full-flegged lengthy as hell games. I never did beat the arena though. Pissed me off.

I suppose Grandia II. At that time, I didn't go to review sites and look on how good this game would be. So I by judgement, I looked at it and ended up purchasing one of the hardest damn RPGs I have ever owned.

I was speaking idiomatically.
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:04 PM Local time: Apr 17, 2006, 02:04 AM #6 of 23
I saw this box with "Bare Knuckle III" in front, having a macho guy flexing his over packed muscles, a babe posing in a typical "hot" suit, a black youngster with rollerskates doing tricks in the air and a tall bald guy with mustache and robotic arms in the background. The back cover was Terminator 2 Arcade, you know, the lightgun game. The cart had both games on it so I picked it from the many.

And I lucked into Streets of Rage 3. And not just any kind of Streets of Rage 3, but the unbutchered Japanese edition which quickly became a multiplayer classic over here in place of SOR2, because it was way faster (remember, PAL versions) and had more variety and coop moves, and a freaking Kangaroo to play as who always turned up randomly as a total kickas hidden character.

This was before I knew the concept of "bootleg" or that Streets of Rage = Bare Knuckle (even though my SOR2 cart was a bootleg too - with European Streets of Rage 2 art, and Bare Knuckle II written on the top of the cart with small letters). Or that Victy (Roo in usa) was a total wuss, or how to pick the hidden characters or secret menus, and so on. Boy was I surprised when I played the USA version on an emulator ages later.

Aside from that, I got addicted to Disgaea based on character art only (well, that wasn't too hard) and got all of the soundtracks, art books and art cds, before I even had a chance to play the game.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:17 PM #7 of 23
it happen to me with Legend of Dragoon and Suikoden II(too bad that I love suikoden II but suikoden 3+ doesn't really interest me :\ )

the bouncer too. Now I know that everyone will say that it's the Squaresoft game, but I didn't know about it it till I saw it at the store and pick it up after looking at it ^^ and even if it's short, I love this game. For me the character are my favorite design that Nomura did.

Jak II: I wasn't sure because I didn't really like the first one, but I looked at the back and I don't know something got my attention and bough it and I did really enjoy it XD

oh and how could I forgot Valkyrie Profile. I bought this game almost just by the art and how please I was when I found that this game is not only beautiful but is one of the best rpg of all time ^^

there may be other, but I don't really remember. Most of my game I have, I was checking them before buying it, but there sometime that I just need something new and I got to the store and buy a game.

FELIPE NO
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:36 PM Local time: Apr 17, 2006, 11:36 AM #8 of 23
Sometimes it works. I knew nothing of SOS Final Escape before buying that, but the blurb on the back of the box sounded really cool and the screens looked interesting in a blurry crushed kind of way. Turned out to be one of the best games I've played on PS2. I tend to read up on these things after I buy them, only to discover most sites dump huge buckets of trash on them.

Then sometimes it doesn't work. 'Sup Evil Zone.

It quite seriously has less gameplay than a toaster. BUT THE BOX WAS PRETTY COOL.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:32 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 07:32 PM #9 of 23
Ratchet & Clank- It just clicked with me, I went out a limb and bought it. Now I have all four of the PS2 games and don't regret purchasing any of them. Insomniac didn't steer me wrong with Spyro, so why not give R&C a try?

Acacia
Chocobo

Member 1401

Level 12.13

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:52 PM #10 of 23
When I was younger, I didn't have a lot of money to buy games, so I had to resort to renting games without much knowledge; back then, I didn't have internet either, and none of my friends were gamers.

So, by judging from box art/artwork, stuff on the back, and genre, I found myself playing great games like Breath of Fire IV and Shadow Hearts, as well as newer games (although I did have internet, I never heard of these ^^;; ) such as Drakengard, Disgaea, and Shadow of the Colossus.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:57 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 09:57 PM #11 of 23
I'd have to say that Sly Cooper really caught my eye. I dunno, playing a raccoon thief just interested me, and it was a great excuse to break away from RPGs.

After Sly came Ratchet and Clank, and then I went for Jak just before Jak 2 came out.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:55 PM #12 of 23
My sixth sense works in a different way. It turns out the games that I have no clue exist but go out and buy on a whim have been the most truly awesome ones for me:

Breath of Fire IV - I was so surprised to see this in a store some period of time after it came out. "Hmm I don't know anything about this game, but I'll try it anyway." Among the best hours of my RPG life

Wild Arms 3 - "The front of this box art looks terrible" (and cel shading was fairly recent still so it was a different graphical style than I was used to), "but let's buy it anyways since it's only $25. End result: it's in my top 3 favourite games ever, and I would have gladly payed thrice the price.

Warioware - I was looking for another game at the time and the colourful box caught my eye. So I decided to research more. It was apparently beatable in a couple of hours, but the unlockables and replay value were massive. Needless to say, I got suckered into buying the rest of the games in the series as well.

David Deluxe
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 1181

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:09 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 12:09 AM #13 of 23
Well, the best example should be Guilty Gear XX #Reload. Although I've never played a Guilty Gear game before I just bought it some weeks ago on E-Bay. The prime reason for buying the game was its excellent soundtrack. I've always wanted to buy the Guilty Gear XX OST, but its high price made me refuse any offer. In conclusion I got the whole game for a whooping 5 Euro, while the soundtrack would cost the multiple.

[SCHWARZE 4 - Sepp Bonhof]
NES Oldskooler
Faust

Member 768

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:26 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 11:26 AM #14 of 23
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. I saw this game on the shelf a year or two after it was released, and the box art and short plot blurb had me interested. Ended up becoming one of my favourite games. Kind of Zelda 64-ish but with a great story and some neat gameplay hooks.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. I had such a good feeling about this game that I actually bought a GBA for it. Since the brightness wasn't very high on the non-backlit system, I'd spend evening after evening playing it under a reading lamp. Probably my favourite Castlevania so far, though Dawn of Sorrow is close.

Most amazing jew boots
Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:49 PM #15 of 23
Originally Posted by Neogin
Do they apply to sequels as well?
Yes it does. To further broading the subject at hand, this can apply to being mislead by a first impression of said game that you had no prior review/knowledge of.

FELIPE NO
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:07 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 12:07 AM #16 of 23
All that I can think of right now would be Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Super Dodgeball Advance, Harvest Moon 64, and Super Smash Brothers (N64). Just seeing them on the "To Be Released" section of my gaming magazine motivated me to get these the second they came out.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:20 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 04:20 PM #17 of 23
I bought Mario Tennis N64 back in the day because I liked Tennis games, and a tennis game with Mario, how could it not rock? I'd never heard of the game but I looked at the box and knew it would be a classic. Sure enough I was right!

I also bought Another Code because the trailer had good music. The game turned out awesome too!

RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:25 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 02:25 PM #18 of 23
I can't identify good games easily but I can weed out bad ones! I foresee Final Fantasies 12 through 18 all being appaling.

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:31 AM #19 of 23
The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past

The first console I owned was an SNES. I had only Super Mario World and Gradius III for the longest time and then one day when I was at the PX with my mother I saw ALttP. I looked at its cover and the screenshots on the back and decided that I must have it. Spent my entire allowance and it was totally worth it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:35 AM #20 of 23
Grandia II - I picked this up during an RPG drought (no new RPGs were coming out for a while) and it was around $20. It looked good and all from what I saw of the back of the case. I bought it, and once I popped it into the PS2 it instantly sucked me in. I loved it - played it like crazy.

Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:25 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 07:25 PM #21 of 23
In days of Omikron,Gabriel knight3 and Outcast , i used to pickup and try games just by looking at cover art.
Internet was totally rare and people had no knowledge,so getting reviews online was unimaginable.

That was the period when i came across very kick ass games.

One of them is Thief which i picked up by looking at cover art.

Halflife was launched , it had less system requirements, so i picked up that too ,to my surprise .... later it changed the gaming scene.

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:28 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 04:28 PM #22 of 23
I thought I already posted in this thread?

Anyways, my pick would be Einhander, because I hadn't read any reviews before-hand and just picked it off the shelf. It was actually the first schmup I ever purchased. (I guess you could count River Raid for the 5200 but technically my parents bought that one waaaaay back in the day.) It just looked really graphically advanced from the game case photos, and it was released by Square. I had just started playing FFVII, and had played FFVI so I knew Square put out quality material. So, I picked it up.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 06:09 PM #23 of 23
There was a time I thought Saga Frontier 2 would be a badass game. I was taken by this impression because I had just came off of playing FF7, an ecxeedingly great RPG. An old taste in this genre was revived due that game and I was hooked again. So judging a book by it's cover and going with the notion that this an "rpg it has be great!" SF2 had to be most sickening ill-fated RPG I EVER blew 40 bucks on. 2 hours I tell you, 2 hours and that was enough to make me break this game.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > A gamers' 6th sense