Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Are you for or against the idea of remakes?
For 16 47.06%
Against 2 5.88%
Indifferent 10 29.41%
Doot dodoot do doot 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

[General Discussion] Remakes: for or against...

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:48 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2008, 05:48 PM #1 of 25
Remakes: for or against...

Listening to last night's GFF Talk Radio show and the discussion of the 1942 remake coming to XBLA, and after reading about another remake coming from Square Enix (the world-wide release of the Star Ocean remakes on PSP) I couldn't help but find myself thinking that we're seeing a lot of remakes of late. Some of them are little more than bare-faced ports to new platforms, but there's also a decent selection of remakes to be found lurking on XBLA, PSN and the Wii's Virtual Console.

Time to weight in. Are you for or against the idea of remakes?

If you are for them, which examples have you really enjoyed, or are you really looking forward to? Are there any titles you're clamouring to see re-made.

If you're against the idea of remakes, why, and what are the worst examples you care to cite.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:54 PM #2 of 25
Well as far as I know, Lunar Silver Star Story for PSX was a remake. I was never as big into Sega consoles, so I'd never even heard of it before. Having it remade was entirely a good thing. Somewhat similarly I never had any objection to the gba remakes of the FF games.

Of course some remakes are just shit, shameless milking of product etc etc. Then again, who cares? You don't have to buy them, and they introduce young ones into the legacy.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2008, 01:06 PM #3 of 25
It really depends.

I would prefer remakes of old, under-appreciated games. Remakes of already-big name titles seems kind of pointless. For example, remaking Final Fantasy games seems overly excessive if they don't bring anything new to the table. Of course, I have my own biases, and remakes like Final Fantasy VI or Final Fantasy Tactics get a free pass for me.

So in short, I'd rather remakes of, say, Secret of Mana over, say, Final Fantasy VII. Remakes of games that were great but obscure, or those that never made it to a region due to lack of localization are fine. But remakes of a bestseller seems more like the company is milking the game for all its worth.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2008, 01:16 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2008, 06:16 PM #4 of 25
Of course, I have my own biases, and remakes like Final Fantasy VI or Final Fantasy Tactics get a free pass for me.
If the FFIII DS and FFIV DS remakes had been extraordinarily lazy remakes then I might agree, but I don't think that has been the case. And I have to totally disagree about the Final Fantasy Tactics remake (or rather re-release) on the PSP, since FFT never came to Europe so I was very glad to be able to get my hands on that legitimately and have the opportunity to play it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Jul 10, 2008 at 01:53 PM. Reason: IV, not VI
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2008, 01:39 PM #5 of 25
If the FFIII DS and FFVI DS remakes had been extraordinarily lazy remakes then I might agree, but I don't think that has been the case. And I have to totally disagree about the Final Fantasy Tactics remake (or rather re-release) on the PSP, since FFT never came to Europe so I was very glad to be able to get my hands on that legitimately and have the opportunity to play it.
I wasn't aware that FFT never made it to Europe, but if that's the case, I caught it with the second statement:

Quote:
Remakes of games that were great but obscure, or those that never made it to a region due to lack of localization are fine.
Final Fantasy III falls under that clause too. I also assume you mean Final Fantasy IV DS and not Final Fantasy VI DS, and if that's the case, it falls under:

Quote:
remaking Final Fantasy games seems overly excessive if they don't bring anything new to the table
Maybe I should say that there hasn't been a remake (at least not one I can recall quickly) that I thought was excessive.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
MOOMANiBE
Wark!

Member 2000

Level 2.74

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:47 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2008, 01:47 PM #6 of 25
FOR, as long as they're done well.

Maverick Hunter X was a pretty heavily overlooked game but it was really an excellent update to the original X and played very well. I loved it, personally. It had an amazing amount of effort and extra content put into it.

It's really a pity when a remake is used as an attempt for a quick buck; I think that if you're going to remake a game, you should put the resources that you would have put into making original content into making it even better and have lots of new stuff for the old fans.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:33 AM Local time: Jul 10, 2008, 10:33 PM #7 of 25
I'm all for remakes, especially for games that saw a very limited release. I really can't recall any remakes that I have played recently. The best I can come up with are ports which don't count as remakes but I would gladly accept as well.

I'd love to see a Demon's Crest remake. Imagine a massive open world with gameplay similar to say God of War or Devil May Cry or what have you. Plus the ability to transform into different demons would be awesome in 3D.

I'd love to see Actraiser remade, hopefully with a bit deeper simulation system and the ability to smite those who oppose me.

Oh and definitely Xenogears. I know it was going to be remade under the Xenosaga moniker but I'd love to see a proper remake of it. It was robbed of its second disc and I'd love to see that fleshed out. Plus a bit of an update in the graphics and translation would be great. Truthfully, I'd love to see it as is but with the second disc properly placed.

How ya doing, buddy?
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2008, 01:58 AM Local time: Jul 10, 2008, 11:58 PM #8 of 25
I'd love to see Actraiser remade, hopefully with a bit deeper simulation system and the ability to smite those who oppose me.
I'm in total agreement with this statement.

As far as re-makes, I'm in general agreement that the old games that are made available to more updated/portable consoles like the PSP after like 10-20 years of the release with updated graphics and re-vamped sound (e.g., 8bit midi to full orchestra arrangements) are a good idea. If it's a complete copy of the same game entirely into a portable game consol (i.e., Final Fantasy Tactics) where there's no notable upgrades in graphics or addition to story depth, then it's just making the game portable for the sake of being more convenient, so I would agree that's a bit lame.

I'm a bit iffy on the games that are serialized. Like for example, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Both RPG series have pretty much made the point of being graphically and systematically more interesting for the next game (i.e., DQ5 had a much better storyline & significantly better graphics than DQ4, but DQ6 had an entirely new job system though the graphics only were a hairline better). It seems a bit excessive at this point to make the newer ones available as a remake, although the older ones (or the "classics" as some old-schoolers might like to say) will have their own appeal for both generations of gamers, new and old.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 11, 2008, 02:08 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2008, 12:08 AM #9 of 25
I don't really care about remakes. Sure, I like seeing a well handled remake... the problem I have with retreads is that it doesn't seem like there's an original idea out there at times. It isn't so much related with video games as it is with the kind of entertainment culture we're in where shit gets remade or adapted when it's barely aged.

As for video games, no, I'm not against remakes for the most part. If it's all a company is going to put out, then I feel they're somewhat suspect, but whatever.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2008, 02:09 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2008, 03:09 PM #10 of 25
I'm for remakes, not ports. The FF remakes for the DS are pretty good, though feels a bit rushed, specially the FFIII remake. The FFT remake for the PSP feels like FFT on an emulator with modified dialogue and added animation. Still, remakes are pretty good in terms of attracting a younger audience into the genre, aside from raking in fanboy money.

Now, Squeenix should definitely remake Xenogears. Why? Because it's the best PS1 rpg ever, along with other stuff guyinrubbersuit mentioned.

chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 04:52 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2008, 08:52 PM #11 of 25
Meeeh, how come all the "remakes" discussed so far have been RPGs? I guess it has to do with the ability to "breathe life" into the old-school, story-heavy RPGs using new technology.

So here's one example of a game that wasn't an RPG!

Resident Evil (GCN): Ever since the release of this game, I've been expecting the same level of love poured into any remake. If I remember correctly, Resident Evil was one of the first few re-imaginings ever (not counting ports, which, in my opinion, are a different genre altogether). What separates Resident Evil from a lot of the remakes today was that at least 70% of the game was altered, changed and made better. The mansion had a slightly different layout and the outside/residence areas were greatly expanded.

Furthermore, the story was re-written, better voice acting was attempted and they emphasized the main elements that made the original great. The element of fear. The graphics were also updated to a whole new level. Care was put into the tinest details, such as dust coming off from walking on a dusty board, or the excellent lighting that was predominantly used for maintain the fear aspect of the game.

In my opinion, no other remake has ever reached the heights that Capcom reached with Resident Evil GCN. They seemed to pour all their energy to re-create an old classic and usher it to the modern generation.

The remakes of today just seem to "update" only one aspect. The graphics of FFIII were updated, but according to RPG fans, the gameplay pretty much remained the same. Metal Gear Solid GCN had updated graphics as well as the gameplay of MGS2, but the story and locations didn't change one bit.

Oh, for or against.... I'm pro-remake, as long as they go beyond just updating the game's looks.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by chaofan; Jul 12, 2008 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Cause I am the master of re-editing badly constructed posts!
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:27 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2008, 05:27 AM #12 of 25
I am for them, but only when they are done well.

Seiken Densetsu 3 would be the best damn thing ever to get a complete remake and placement on the DS so that the sluggish menu is on the bottom screen and accessible via the stylus. SD3 is win mode no matter what at this stage of the game, especially considering you have a virtually untapped Mana hungry North American audience that'll go apeshit for any classic Mana action. Release the remake in the states as Secret of Mana II and give it some Wi-Fi multiplayer features, and it's all over.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:36 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2008, 04:36 AM #13 of 25
I am for them, but only when they are done well.

Seiken Densetsu 3 would be the best damn thing ever to get a complete remake and placement on the DS so that the sluggish menu is on the bottom screen and accessible via the stylus. SD3 is win mode no matter what at this stage of the game, especially considering you have a virtually untapped Mana hungry North American audience that'll go apeshit for any classic Mana action. Release the remake in the states as Secret of Mana II and give it some Wi-Fi multiplayer features, and it's all over.
Too bad the game wasn't that great.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:56 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2008, 05:56 AM #14 of 25
Too bad the game wasn't that great.
Far better than Children and Dawn however. Children was mediocre at best, and Dawn was absolutely terrible. A remake would be the only logical step back to try and revitalize the series, and SD3 has the potential to do that and sell extremely well.

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:59 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2008, 04:59 AM #15 of 25
Far better than Children and Dawn however. Children was mediocre at best, and Dawn was absolutely terrible. A remake would be the only logical step back to try and revitalize the series, and SD3 has the potential to do that and sell extremely well.
So it's better than syphilis and Simply Majestic. Yeah, well that much is true.

And man, do they ever need to get back to their roots there. Like an endless stream of Unlimited MaNa these days.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:07 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2008, 08:07 AM #16 of 25
I definitely agree that Maverick Hunter X was an awesome update to the original Megaman X. So was Megaman Powered Up -- loads upon loads of additional content.

Remakes are a toss-up; a double-edged Buster sword, if you would. When done by a talented team, remakes can be a great thing. Not to talk up Capcom too much, but what they're doing with Bionic Commando Rearmed shows they've really got some concern and a real desire to breathe new life into old games. Dunno what they're doing with Megaman 9 though, but oh well.

I'm more opposed to re-releases though. Someone mentioned the Lunar games and their port over to the PlayStation; I'm okay with that one. That's re-releasing a game that came out on a console so few actually owned. But there are several games that get ported and re-released for no real reason except to increase exposure. The re-release of Chrono Trigger for the DS is a good example of that -- I'd rather see them do a complete overhaul on it; update the graphics, fix some translation errors, really make the game shine anew. Instead, they're giving us another dungeon. For a game that has fans begging for a remake of CT, it's kind of an insult. Hopefully, if this sells particularly well, it'll prompt SE to remake the game, but I highly doubt it.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
dbzwarrior4ever
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 26926

Level 2.00

Dec 2007

Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:27 AM #17 of 25
for me the idea of remakes should only be applied to movies, games don't get better the second time around and if they are better they are simply called sequel's not remakes

Last edited by dbzwarrior4ever; Jul 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:55 AM #18 of 25
for me the idea of remakes should only be applied to movies, games don't get better the second time around and if they are better they are simply called sequel's not remakes
You've actually encountered "good" movie based games ~_~?

As for me, I'm more for a re-release of an older game instead of a full on remake. Such as classic games that don't get a full makeover but little things such as effects or music that make the game much more enjoyable than it already was.
As for a remake I would only accept it if it brings the quality of the old game without making it into a completely different game. I can't think of any examples since most of the remakes in my mind right now are mostly ones in handheld consoles which in reality don't interest me at all.

New Record!
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2008, 01:38 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2008, 11:38 AM #19 of 25
Hey, Aladdin on the Genesis was pretty sweet.

I think he meant remaking movies into new movies, and not making movies into games or the other way around.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2008, 01:55 PM #20 of 25
Hey, Aladdin on the Genesis was pretty sweet.

I think he meant remaking movies into new movies, and not making movies into games or the other way around.
ah ok then my mistake.

And I forgot about alaadin, had it for the snes and yeah it was fun.
Here's to hoping they don't try to remake it ~_~

New Record!
Shively
Banned

Member 28885

Level 13.18

Mar 2008

Old Jul 30, 2008, 06:51 PM #21 of 25
I would love to see a PS 3 Remake of FF 6 using the same engine as they did in 12. Maybe make it a 50% chance that you could end up keeping General Leo or something.. Maybe have a few alternate endings based on certain choices etc.

I know of all the FF games 6 could possibly have the best story line for a movie.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:08 PM Local time: Jul 30, 2008, 05:08 PM #22 of 25
You've actually encountered "good" movie based games ~_~?

The Bourne Conspiracy. Too bad it's short though.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:14 PM #23 of 25
Indifferent because most of the time, remakes are great but when they do poorly they are REALLY shitty. :\ Probably due to my vast love for nostalgia, I rather not see a great game turn into shit. Especially if the add-ons weren't even necessary. NiGHTS for a great example. OMG.

Then there's a possible remake of FINAL FANTASY SEVEN. Wouldn't that be even more epic than anything? :\ It'd be something like out of MGS IV fandom except the game was short. And all that whining ensued afterwards. Cutscenes too LONG, where's the fucking gameplay, etc etc etc. There's always some kind of bullshit following after a remake. But with FF VII? There's be like massive eruption of fanboy bullshit that would had happened. We DON"T NEED that. Thank god there was Advent Children, it was only a movie.

Then you have remakes of old classics on portables that just doesn't seem to hold the spirit of the original. Dragon Warrior 1 - 3 for example on GBC. Never mind the upgraded (or the lack of) graphics, never mind the few extras, but its always the music that seems to be stunted by the handheld and that bugs me the most. IE Tales of Phantasia from SNES to PSX AND to GBA. :\

FELIPE NO
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:33 PM Local time: Jul 30, 2008, 06:33 PM #24 of 25

Really? Movie remakes for the most part have been pretty terrible. With video game remakes, the developer can go back and add in what was cut a la Final Fantasy IV and improve the graphics or any a number of things that couldn't be implemented at the time due to time or technological constraints.

If anything I think that video games would generally be better off with remakes just as video games are generally better off with sequels than most movies are.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:10 PM Local time: Jul 31, 2008, 05:10 PM #25 of 25
I would love to see a PS 3 Remake of FF 6 using the same engine as they did in 12.
You mean you want them to remake FFVI on the PS3 using a PS2 engine? Suit yourself. If they were going to do that I'd expect it to use the FFXIII engine or something bespoke.

Meia: I know what you mean, it's dangerous when remakes start playing with nostalgia, especially when dealing with loved properties. I would love to see an FFVII remake in some senses, if handled properly, but it could go horribly wrong.

guyinrubbersuit: I think you're overstating the odds when you say 'most' movie remakes have been terrible. I can think of some bad remakes, but then I could probably also name you some fantastic remakes (not to mention those that fill the spectrum in between).

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Remakes: for or against...