Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Line campers... I generally hate them

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 01:33 AM 2 1 #1 of 35
Line campers... I generally hate what they symbolize

This is inspired by the ridiculous line waiting from the i-phone yesterday and other stuff from the past like the PS3. Of course there are some exceptions that I can tolerate. People camping for once in a lifetime chance tickets or product is ok, as well as someone reselling the item on ebay for a good profit. I'll even excuse the parents who want to get kids presents for their birthday or xmas. But all the rest of you line campers out there need to get a life. Just the fact that they are so needy and can't wait a couple extra days/weeks for another shipment annoys me.

The i-phone isn't near xmas, so you can cross out that exception. It wasn't a once in a lifetime item, so you can cross that out too. So unless you were reselling it for profit or were getting one for your kid as a birthday present, then you are pretty pathetic to wait outside that long just because you are that desperate for a what is basically a toy. Some people think it is the adventure aspect, but no one wants to waste a day away by sitting outside in the cold or the heat. If you polled every line camper in the world, 99.9% of them would have the item delivered them for free if they could.

The only reason people do it other than the exceptions is because their lives are so pitifully driven by little gadgets, that they've completely lost touch with the real things that matter in life. Taking off work, taking of school, blowing off meetings. These are real life things that matter. A toy is not that important people. If it means that much to you, then I feel sorry for you. I think the way society today has become completely dependant and reliant on gadgets and technologies like cell phones is what angers me most, because the line camping for the tickle-me elmos never annoyed me. I honestly think many people in society today would lose their mind without a cell phone, and to me that is really a shame.

Anyway, that is my rant. You don't have to agree with me if you don't want to, but that is how I see it. Everyone has their weird pet peeves and this is one of mine. Maybe I sound like a total nutjob, but hey, it is what it is. I'm talking about the people that sit out there for days, and not just a few hours or overnight btw. That I can tolerate.

Most amazing jew boots
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.

Last edited by DragoonKain; Jul 1, 2007 at 04:14 AM.
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 02:26 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 12:26 AM #2 of 35
I agree with you. Yes, yes I do.

100%.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 02:50 AM #3 of 35
I think you have a weeping vagina simply because you couldn't procure yourself a iphone.

I don't see the big deal in it at all. It is their life and line waiting only shows they're dedicated to getting what they want, unlike your lazy ass who seems to throw a hissy fit whenever a electronic you want comes out that you can't procure by simply walking into the store. So you proceed to slam the people who will take the time and wait to make sure they get one.

You pulled this same rant back when the PS3 was released.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Iwata; Jul 1, 2007 at 02:53 AM.
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 02:50 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 02:50 AM #4 of 35
What's pretty stupid about this is that...the iPhone isn't nearly as limited in it's production scope as things like the Wii or even the PS3 were. There are tons of them.

It's pretty dumb of people to buy them and expect to sell them for profits on eBay. It's even more dumb if people are actually buying them off of eBay.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 03:03 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 02:03 AM 2 #5 of 35
So, one night's ok, but not more?

What if the guy who can afford to spend two nights in a line (or who splits line duty with a pal), wants to beat the guy who can only do a single overnight camp? Is he pathetic for wanting the device just as much as the other guy, only he has a better plan for making sure he obtains the object of his desire? Seems kinda weird that there's a cutoff for when a person has "no life" and when a person is "ok", when they both desire said product about the same amount.

I waited in line about 14 or 15 hours for a Wii preorder, and I was 7th in line, out of 10 consoles. I wanted the thing, and that's what it took to make sure I got it. My desire for the thing was probably no stronger than that of the younger girl and her father who were in 11th position. Does that make me more pathetic than them, because I budgeted my time better? Come on.

This rant sounds like you're aggravated that people didn't wait for you to show up before buying the store out of a phone. Just sayin'.

Edit: Weren't you the useless sack of shit who said they went to go egg the PS3 campers?

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Jul 1, 2007 at 03:08 AM.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 03:20 AM #6 of 35
Egg? No. I facetiously said that I was going to drive around and dump a bucket of water on them. I did not do that nor would I do ever it. It is rude, cruel, and immature.

Anyway, I don't want an iphone, nor do I ever plan on getting one. No sour grapes here if that is what is sounds like as two posters have claimed.

Yes I did mention this rant to some capacity when the PS3 came out. That also had nothing to do with the fact that I didn't have a PS3. Unlike the iphone, I wanted a PS3, but was in no rush to buy one. I casually walked into an EB in december and bought one, and honestly I regret that I did buy one. I still only have one game for it and haven't touched the system since april.

Like I said, I think the whole act of doing it speaks volumes about today's society. I live in Philly, where our mayor of all people camped outside for one. Yes, our mayor. Instead of busting his ass trying to help this city fix the record number of murders and homicides, he's camping out for an iphone. People take off of work for things like this, when all it is, is a toy. It just shows how frickin obsessed our society is today with electonics. People have based their life around them and it is important enough to them to drop everything they are doing in their life for days at a time just to get this item. It is that important to them.

Our mayor doing it really set me off, because our city is a joke right now in terms of crime, but I think he is just one example, of plenty of people right now who care more about things like iphones than real life things that matter.

Again, no one has to agree with me. If I'm the only person on earth who feels this way, then it is fine with me. But I do feel this way, and I do think it is a shame that society has sunk to this level.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by DragoonKain; Jul 1, 2007 at 03:29 AM.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 03:35 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 02:35 AM #7 of 35
Well, my mistake then. People who annoy line goers are just extremely retarded. While I've never had to deal with them, I've heard some pretty terrible horror stories, often involving some kind of physical violence. Makes shit even worse.

FELIPE NO
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 03:38 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 03:38 AM #8 of 35
Or like, when the guy would scream "Snape Kills Dumbledore" at the kids waiting for Harry Potter books T_T;;

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 04:03 AM #9 of 35
Anyway, my beef isn't really with the campers themselves, they can do whatever they want with their lives, so maybe the topic title is misleading, and it is my fault for that. Although, whenever I see a picture of them, I think of the equivalent of a bunch of junkies lined up to get a fix. But my problem is with what they symbolize. When it gets to a point where mayors start dropping everything they are doing to get some new piece of technology, then there is a big problem. The addiction of electronics today is growing stronger and stronger. People are so enfatuated with things that are really not essential to them, that they have almost lost complete touch with reality.

Kids dropping out of school to get an Xbox 360, or taking off of work to camp out and get an iphone, people shooting people for their PS3, kids killing themselves when their MMORPG items get stolen. While all that isn't the end of the world, it damn well isn't good news. That I do know. If it continues to get worse, where does it stop? Where is the line drawn? Like I said, this stuff didn't happen 10 years ago for electronics. What is it going to be like 10 years from now? Are people going to be camping outside of Best Buy for a month just to get something like a Playstation 8? Are people going to permanently quit their jobs, just because they can't wait a few more weeks to get that hot item?

I never would've even brought this up if our mayor didn't do it, because I honestly thought that people really did value their jobs more than getting a new electronic, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal about it than it is, but I do think it is something that is getting out of hand.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Midna
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 18121

Level 20.86

Jan 2007

Old Jul 1, 2007, 04:07 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 02:07 AM #10 of 35
So what if people want to wait outside all night to be certain they get something they want? I waited like a faggot all night in line for Wii, and you know what? So fucking what. We had fun out there with all the other faggots and it was really nice to walk away in the morning, looking at the sad faces of the people who showed up way too late, with a Wii and Twilight Princess under my arm.

Maybe it was a waste of 10 hours of my time, but who are you to judge?

How ya doing, buddy?
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 04:13 AM #11 of 35
If I came off as judgemental, then I apologize. Like I said in my previous post, it isn't the campers themselves who I have a beef with(although I personally find it really lame, and I'm entitled to that opinion), but what it symbolizes and how society's obsession with electronics is getting worse and worse.

Midna
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 18121

Level 20.86

Jan 2007

Old Jul 1, 2007, 04:14 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 02:14 AM #12 of 35
Would it make you feel better if I waited outside my local grocery store all night the next time I need a loaf of bread?

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 04:18 AM #13 of 35
Would it make you feel better if I waited outside my local grocery store all night the next time I need a loaf of bread?
That really has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, and is irrelevant anyway because you won't need to do that for a loaf of bread.

I'm glad people have weighed in though, because while I may not agree, I always respect and consider opposing views. Nothing I posted was meant to be taken personally by anyone btw.

Most amazing jew boots
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 04:27 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 01:27 AM #14 of 35
But what if there's a really bad bread shortage and I just need my fucking bread? What then?!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 04:28 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 11:28 AM #15 of 35
Cool

What is it going to be like 10 years from now? Are people going to be camping outside of Best Buy for a month just to get something like a Playstation 8?
Only if Sony releases a new PlayStation every other year from now on.

Which might not be a bad business model when you think about it, I mean, many people upgrade their computers every year, and console gaming, unlike its PC counterpart, isn't even dead.

FELIPE NO
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 04:31 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 07:31 PM #16 of 35
A toy is not that important people. If it means that much to you, then I feel sorry for you. I think the way society today has become completely dependant and reliant on gadgets and technologies like cell phones is what angers me most, because the line camping for the tickle-me elmos never annoyed me.
Well it should! Phones are alot more useful than a bunch of garbage bin lids stuck together with red fuzz that makes distorted demon noises when you touch them. You can't talk to your mates with that! Buying it for little Timmy's happy Christmas? Stuff little Timmy, he should be playing with a G.I Joe anyway.

Buying rubbish before other people is awesome, you can be all "I'M AWESOME, LOOK AT THIS THING" and everyone will be so impressed that they'll shit their pants eight times in a furious rage of rubbish lust. I'm sure you saw the bits on the news where Joe GasStation and friends ran out of the iPod shop with their iPhones and were treated like iRockstars by the crowd that had formed just to watch people purchase something. When I waited an hour and a half to buy my Wii on launch day, I was like "HAHA VIDEO GAMES", the six o'clock news teams and the traffic report helicopter surrounded me and I became a celebrity. Now I live in the second 'O' in the HOLLYWOOD sign and do bubble bath commercials. All because I waited in a line to give someone some money.

School? Jobs? Meetings? Pffft.

Last edited by Infernal Monkey; Jul 1, 2007 at 04:34 AM.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 04:34 AM #17 of 35
But what if there's a really bad bread shortage and I just need my fucking bread? What then?!
I guess I'll let it slide.

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 06:05 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 07:05 PM #18 of 35
My take on the matter is that what people do with their time is their own business. If they wish to spend weeks camping out to catch the latest Star Wars movie, to buy the last Harry Potter book, or to get the newest gadget from Apple or Nintendo, they are entitled to do so!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 03:50 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 01:50 PM 2 #19 of 35
YouTube Video

iPhwned

Perfect for a thread on line camping.

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 03:59 PM #20 of 35
One day doesn't annoy me THAT much. But when people start taking off froim work, dropping out of school, then IMO it has gone too far. Am I publicly telling line campers to stop? No. They can do what they want with their lives. I'm just getting concerned about about our society. When a city mayor takes off of work to camp then you know something is seriously wrong.

But 100k is pathetic. It shows she has no cocnept of managing money. She can wait a week and walk in and buy them. That annoys me.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 04:34 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 02:34 PM #21 of 35
I don't see the big deal with people camping out for something. Shit, more power to them. Why take personal offense to how OTHER PEOPLE spend THEIR money? I only wish I'd camped out with Skills when he was getting a Wii~

:burnoutonxboxlivetil8am:

I was speaking idiomatically.
Midna
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 18121

Level 20.86

Jan 2007

Old Jul 1, 2007, 06:23 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 04:23 PM #22 of 35
I don't see the big deal with people camping out for something. Shit, more power to them. Why take personal offense to how OTHER PEOPLE spend THEIR money? I only wish I'd camped out with Skills when he was getting a Wii~

:burnoutonxboxlivetil8am:
You should have driven your ass up here and camped out with me, sir. We only needed one, but ended up each putting our names down for one and walked away with 4. Sold the other 3 on Craigslist, and it more than paid for the one we kept.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
IdleChill
The IceGator

Member 60

Level 20.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:17 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 11:17 PM #23 of 35
Just going to chime in on that youtube video. Simply awesome.

FELIPE NO
ctu
...and... loving it

Member 439

Level 19.07

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:23 PM #24 of 35
This is inspired by the ridiculous line waiting from the i-phone yesterday and other stuff from the past like the PS3. Of course there are some exceptions that I can tolerate. People camping for once in a lifetime chance tickets or product is ok, as well as someone reselling the item on ebay for a good profit. I'll even excuse the parents who want to get kids presents for their birthday or xmas. But all the rest of you line campers out there need to get a life. Just the fact that they are so needy and can't wait a couple extra days/weeks for another shipment annoys me.

The i-phone isn't near xmas, so you can cross out that exception. It wasn't a once in a lifetime item, so you can cross that out too. So unless you were reselling it for profit or were getting one for your kid as a birthday present, then you are pretty pathetic to wait outside that long just because you are that desperate for a what is basically a toy. Some people think it is the adventure aspect, but no one wants to waste a day away by sitting outside in the cold or the heat. If you polled every line camper in the world, 99.9% of them would have the item delivered them for free if they could.

The only reason people do it other than the exceptions is because their lives are so pitifully driven by little gadgets, that they've completely lost touch with the real things that matter in life. Taking off work, taking of school, blowing off meetings. These are real life things that matter. A toy is not that important people. If it means that much to you, then I feel sorry for you. I think the way society today has become completely dependant and reliant on gadgets and technologies like cell phones is what angers me most, because the line camping for the tickle-me elmos never annoyed me. I honestly think many people in society today would lose their mind without a cell phone, and to me that is really a shame.

Anyway, that is my rant. You don't have to agree with me if you don't want to, but that is how I see it. Everyone has their weird pet peeves and this is one of mine. Maybe I sound like a total nutjob, but hey, it is what it is. I'm talking about the people that sit out there for days, and not just a few hours or overnight btw. That I can tolerate.
Well I do agree with you I have a feeling you were in said line you are complaining about doing the same thing you were badmouthing other ppl about.

Additional Spam:
You should have driven your ass up here and camped out with me, sir. We only needed one, but ended up each putting our names down for one and walked away with 4. Sold the other 3 on Craigslist, and it more than paid for the one we kept.
WTF!!!? you got 4? So did that mean you bought 4 and resold them or did you somehow find a way to get a few free ipones (like that would ever happen)

(\__/)(\__/)(\__/) (\__/)(\__/)(\__/)(\__/) (\__/)
(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)( ='.'=)
(")-(")(")-(")(")-(") (")-(")(")-(")(")-(")(")-(")(")-(")

Last edited by ctu; Jul 1, 2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Midna
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 18121

Level 20.86

Jan 2007

Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:31 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 09:31 PM #25 of 35
WTF!!!? you got 4? So did that mean you bought 4 and resold them or did you somehow find a way to get a few free ipones (like that would ever happen)
NO no no. If you look closer, you'll see I was talking about the Wii launch. I was buying one, but had three others with me waiting. When we realized we were far up enough in line that there were enough for each of us, we put each of our names individually on the list (the store we were at was coming out and taking names every two hours to be sure nobody was holding spots for friends that were going to show up at a given time and jump in line).

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Line campers... I generally hate them