Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

AFI 100 years... 100 Cheers

SpaceOddity
Chocobo

Member 427

Level 10.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:30 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 02:30 AM #1 of 15
AFI 100 years... 100 Cheers

"AFI's List of 100 Most Inspiring Films of All Time." So, this aired a couple of nights ago on CBS. As a movie buff, I have to admit that I'm a sucker for these AFI countdown specials, even if they are running out of ideas. LOL. You can see the entire list here:
http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/cheers.htm

The top 10 choices were:

1) It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
2) To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)
3) Schindler's List (1993)
4) Rocky (1976)
5) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
6) E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
7) The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
8) Breaking Away
9) Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
10) Saving Private Ryan (1998)

I love that It's a Wonderful Life was number one. It usually takes a lot for me to get emotional, but everytime I hear Clarence say the line, "You see, George, you've really had a wonderful life. Don't you see what a mistake it would be just to throw it away?" I always start to tear up. Yeah, maybe I'm a sap. But personally, it's a movie that restores my faith in humanity. Even though it never lasts, it's always nice a feeling. *g*

I think quite a few of the choices are suspect, though. The Karate Kid and Seabiscuit? Give me a break. LOL.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by SpaceOddity; Jun 16, 2006 at 04:33 AM.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:19 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 06:19 PM #2 of 15
I hate this list. It's so vague that it's effectively worthless. 'Inspiring' films? What the hell is that? Space Odyssey in one list with Babe? Uhh, super.

'Due to the extensive number of movies that inspire in American film, jurors may also write in votes for up to five films that may not already appear on the ballot.'

Extensive number of movies that inspire in American film, haha.

How ya doing, buddy?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
naturally_tipsy
the Countess of Monte Cristo

Member 1730

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 09:04 PM #3 of 15
Aw, I usually enjoy AFI's Greatest 100 specials, especially the Greatest Movie Songs and Greatest Movie Quotes. I do have to say, the Most Inspiring list was a little vague and kind of pointless, but they're all fun to watch, anyway. A relaxing way to spend a Tuesday night.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
"I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

--CS Lewis
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 03:05 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 02:05 AM #4 of 15
The lists are little more than a way to sit back and either be;

"Yeah, I really like that movie"
or
"Wow, I really have to see that movie"

Sure they're rather vague, sometimes biased, and effectively pointless I still gobble them up. I'm a sucker for "Top ____" lists, especially when it comes to movies.

I actually emailed AFI a few weeks ago and asked if we'd ever see the "100 Years a 100......." series on DVD. Sadly due to "copyright issues" we'll never see that.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 03:06 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 12:06 AM #5 of 15
How the fuck is Schindler's List an inspiring movie?

I was speaking idiomatically.
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 03:08 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 02:08 AM #6 of 15
Originally Posted by Motsy
How the fuck is Schindler's List an inspiring movie?
Presumably because it has to do with the story of how a single man managed to save thousands of lives from one of the most evil forces in history?

Christ.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 03:19 AM #7 of 15
Originally Posted by acid
...one of the most evil forces in history?

Christ.

EVIL JESUS

FELIPE NO
Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 04:07 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 01:07 AM #8 of 15
Sadly, I only recogonize about half the films. The rest, I'm pretty much like "what the fuck? These were movies?"

Most amazing jew boots

Dance party!

Last edited by Trigunnerz; Jul 3, 2006 at 04:10 AM.
Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:41 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 08:41 PM #9 of 15
The list was a little confusing...I mean some of the movies they picked didn't seem that "inspiring". Sure, I can see where some of the ones came in as being such...but having 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star wars, And Charlie Chapplin on the list with stuff like It's a Wonderful Life, Babe, and The Diary of Anne Frank? Some of the movies just didn't fit in with the other movies on the list. I mean sure, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star wars, And the Charlie Chapplin films inspired actors, comidians, and directors...but they wern't "inspirering" in the sence some of the other movies were.

I'm basicly agreeing with everyone else and saying this was the most pointless and biased list they put together :shh:....

How ya doing, buddy?
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:47 PM #10 of 15
Umm....How is Grapes of Wrath on there again? The only way it's inspirational is in the "my life doesn't suck as much as theirs" sense. Seriously, EVERYTHING goes wrong and it doesn't even end happy. Plus the book sucks.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:23 PM #11 of 15
Hell, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is more inspiring than 'Grapes of Wrath', 'Star Wars' or '2001: A Space Odyssey'. Wonka didn't even appear on the list. This makes me quite sad.

And how on God's green Earth did 'Forrest Gump' rate only 37th, and 'Shawshank Redemption' 23rd while 'Grapes of Wrath' got 7th?

I am always suspicious of the AFI's choices because it's obvious that certain outside factors tend to influence their decisions, even when those factors are irrelevant to the criteria at hand. Total box office gross, Academy Awards earned and the relative "wow" factor of the movie's stars all seem to have played a more important role than the actual "inspirational moments", when the Institute cast its ballots.

Is 'Grapes of Wrath' really so inspiring just because it won two Oscars and was nominated for seven? Does Henry Fonda's presence make it that much more uplifting than the life of Forrest Gump? Does the fact that it was made during what some consider the "Golden Age" of film grant it automatic superiority over nearly everything since?

The AFI is known to consist of a very aged electorate. They most likely recall these movies fondly, in ways that new cinematic techniques cannot possibly duplicate because they've convinced themselves that little, if anything, is capable of being better than their precious antiques. And while some classics are indeed deserving, their predilection for older cinema places newer movies at a distinct disadvantage, it appears.

Consider that 'Pleasantville', a movie most people regard as being uplifting and well told, failed to make the list. Yet 'Erin Brokovich' made it to #73. Evidently the presence of Julia Roberts' gaping maw and overhyped cleavage in an otherwise lackluster movie about a conniving bitch is waaaaaaaaaaay more inspiring than a parable about overcoming prejudice.
And both are less inspiring than '2001: A Space Odyssey'? A psychedelic delusion of time and space is supposed to make us feel better about ourselves than 'Pleasantville' is capable? What?

But hell, the AFI picked "Some Like It Hot" and "Tootsie" as the two funniest films ever made. They think drag queens constitute better cinema than any other joke ever told. Shows where their heads are at, eh?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon; Jul 3, 2006 at 11:27 PM.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:19 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 11:19 PM #12 of 15
Originally Posted by SpaceOddity
I think quite a few of the choices are suspect, though. The Karate Kid and Seabiscuit? Give me a break. LOL.
Seabiscuit is an excellent choice. It is all about overcoming adversity - every character has to overcome adversity: the owner, the rider, the trainer, the horse, everyone. Also, it's classic David vs. Goliath. The fact that it's a true story only ramps everything up a notch...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
bluejuice
Smashing Pumpkin

Member 7960

Level 2.00

Jun 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 07:07 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2006, 11:07 PM #13 of 15
Originally Posted by Crash Landon
EVIL JESUS
holy crap that's one freaky looking artwork :fish:

I was speaking idiomatically.
SpaceOddity
Chocobo

Member 427

Level 10.97

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 04:53 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 02:53 AM #14 of 15
Originally Posted by speculative
Seabiscuit is an excellent choice. It is all about overcoming adversity - every character has to overcome adversity: the owner, the rider, the trainer, the horse, everyone. Also, it's classic David vs. Goliath. The fact that it's a true story only ramps everything up a notch...
You have a point. The story and events themselves are inspiring, I just didn't like the movie. I loved the book, though.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Talbain
Quilty as Charged

Member 19

Level 10.84

Feb 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 07:27 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 12:27 AM #15 of 15
The world has finally celebrated schmaltz. Color me unsurprised.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > AFI 100 years... 100 Cheers