Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Godai
the best damn thing

Member 811

Level 20.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:04 PM #101 of 342
I'm guessing no actual store got it today? My fiancee checked to see if they had the LE in today, but they said come back tomorrow.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:15 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 04:15 PM #102 of 342
Wow, never have I been quite anxious over a game to get it first thing out. I think this is the first game I'm getting hot off the shelves (ie, the release day). Only 20 hours away~~~.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

- What we all do best -
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:16 PM #103 of 342
I'm going to check Toys "R" Us tomorrow.

::CQCs Geoffrey::

How ya doing, buddy?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:29 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 04:29 PM #104 of 342
Put the croc head over him.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

- What we all do best -
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:34 PM #105 of 342
Originally Posted by Godai
I'm guessing no actual store got it today? My fiancee checked to see if they had the LE in today, but they said come back tomorrow.
Some did including an EBgames in Canada, no idea on the location though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:58 PM #106 of 342
I checked my Gamestop as well, and they said they'll be receiving it tommorow. It's amazing how excited I am over a game I already played. The online mode is the first thing I'm firing up, and hopefully the name I have in mind won't be taken. Although it would be pretty sweet to be the first guy to register "Solid Snake", but no doubt that name's already been taken.

Most amazing jew boots
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:45 PM #107 of 342
I will pay a visit to Futureshop early tomorrow before heading off to class.

Gotta get mine.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Timberwolf; Mar 14, 2006 at 11:12 PM.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:42 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 08:42 PM #108 of 342
So it looks like my hour lunch break tomorrow will consist of heading over to EBgames (hooray, fuckers) and getting the damn thing, finally.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

- What we all do best -
evergreen
Bullet in the Head

Member 828

Level 19.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:55 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 08:55 PM #109 of 342
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
evergreen, your avatar makes me ill. What the hell is it from? ><
It's making you sick? How? I'm curious.

It's from the Korean film Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, by the way.

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:05 PM #110 of 342
My EB had better fucking have the LE version that I have pre-ordered, or I'll be so damn pissed I'll totally kick their asses.

Them: "HAY YEAH WE DIDN'T GET ANY OF THOSE HERE HAVE A STANDARD VERSION"
Me: {weeps and lies on floor until the whole situation gets very awkward and they give me a gift certificate}

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:08 PM #111 of 342
Well I guess it turns out that GameStop never got their shipment hence the "Backordered" status on all orders. In store pickups aren't until tomorrow either.

Now I just need to get everything for online which means a PS2 Network Adapter..

FELIPE NO
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:22 PM #112 of 342
Quote:
It's making you sick? How? I'm curious.
Well, from the angle, it looks like that guy is getting his lower face sliced open. I can see a huge hole between his neck and ear. :/

Quote:
My EB had better fucking have the LE version that I have pre-ordered, or I'll be so damn pissed I'll totally kick their asses.

Me: {weeps and lies on floor until the whole situation gets very awkward and they give me a gift certificate}
I share your concern. It should be alright though, since they were aware of the LE's existence from when I pre-ordered it.

Make sure to post your username once you log in. I'll reveal mine if it's available (hint: it's from a kojima game. not from MGS).

Most amazing jew boots
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:24 PM #113 of 342
Originally Posted by Simo
Well I guess it turns out that GameStop never got their shipment hence the "Backordered" status on all orders. In store pickups aren't until tomorrow either.
Several Gamestop reps said it's showing backordered because it's shipping from a different warehouse, and that the status hasn't been updated on the website yet, but at least all the overnight orders were confirmed to have been shipped out today. Unless you've heard something completely different ?_?

And today was the ship date, you weren't supposed to be able to pick it up in-store until tommorrow. I really hate how Gamefaqs and most places show the ship date as the release date, since there's always the flood of people complaining that they didn't have it that day (not referring to you, just in general).

How ya doing, buddy?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:26 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 09:26 PM #114 of 342
Originally Posted by JazzFlight

I'd call in the extreme bukkake measures. What.

Yeah so my EBs won't have any LEs instock for sure. The regular version, sure, better than nothing (I have dick all on MGS3...reiterating that I never played Snake Eater).

There's nowhere I can't reach.

- What we all do best -
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:38 PM #115 of 342
Originally Posted by SailorDaravon
Several Gamestop reps said it's showing backordered because it's shipping from a different warehouse, and that the status hasn't been updated on the website yet, but at least all the overnight orders were confirmed to have been shipped out today. Unless you've heard something completely different ?_?

And today was the ship date, you weren't supposed to be able to pick it up in-store until tommorrow. I really hate how Gamefaqs and most places show the ship date as the release date, since there's always the flood of people complaining that they didn't have it that day (not referring to you, just in general).
I haven't heard from anyone who's order did ship so I assumed it was the same regardless of what shipping method you chose if they had none in stock.

The thing about the release date is that some stores actually do, and did for MGS3:S, carry the game on the date released and when it's a big title like GTA, Halo or anything like that then most often they'll have it on the Tuesday release date.

The last time I used GameStop to preorder anything was for Resident Evil 4 on the GC and they actually shipped the game out a day before the game's scheduled release date.

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:01 AM #116 of 342
Originally Posted by Simo
I haven't heard from anyone who's order did ship so I assumed it was the same regardless of what shipping method you chose if they had none in stock.
That's just specifically what I've read. The only people I've talked to who have actually called all had overnight orders, so that may or may not mean anything.

Quote:
The thing about the release date is that some stores actually do, and did for MGS3:S, carry the game on the date released and when it's a big title like GTA, Halo or anything like that then most often they'll have it on the Tuesday release date.

The last time I used GameStop to preorder anything was for Resident Evil 4 on the GC and they actually shipped the game out a day before the game's scheduled release date.
Stores usually do not get titles on the ship dates unless something ships early for some reason (Halo 2 would be an example) or if they live very very close to where it's shipped from, which it sounds like it might be in your case. It would've been great if I had that luck =/.

I've got two LE's preordered at a local EB, one for me and one for Skills. I'm worried about limited LE quantities, so I took the day off, and plan on camping out from when they open so hopefully I can get them, we'll have to see.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:39 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 08:39 AM #117 of 342
Honestly, today I will consider it a victory if I can get my hands on a copy of MGS3:S – seriously. I wake up all ready to go this morning at 7:00, ready for the day at the office, when all a sudden my mom walks in and goes, “oh, please send in the car today to the mechanic shop as it needs maintenance bleh bleh bleh…” and here I’m going oh for fuck sakes seriously man, why TODAY!!! I need my car to get from the work place to the nearest Ebgames and that takes about a good 15 minutes during my lunch hour. Now I gotta take public transportation which the service sucks goat balls seriously. I don’t want to go after work since it takes extra time with the traffic and such, and plus now my car is in the mechanic garage and having to go in my parents car is about the same as beating myself with a sledgehammer. What a gong show, seriously.

Seriously, if my EB games sells out of the game or something today then I’m going to kill someone, for Christ sakes.

my cry:
CRY FOR ME FEEL SORRY FOR ME I HAVE TO SUFFER CAUSE I HAVE TO WAIT FOR A FLIPPIN’ PS2 GAME, OH NO THE WORLD’S GONNA END! PITY!

::weeps to the quiet place::

WHY TODAY!??!!?

- What we all do best -
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:21 AM #118 of 342
Originally Posted by Spatula
now my car is in the mechanic garage and having to go in my parents car is about the same as beating myself with a sledgehammer.
Why not go in your parents car?

Aw, sorry man. I hope you make it in time, and get your copy.

Gotta get yours.

How ya doing, buddy?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 01:01 PM #119 of 342
FUCK YES.

I got a copy of the LE.

However, others won't be so lucky. The EB workers said they got less than they pre-ordered for.

I can tell that today and tomorrow will be a day of great sadness for those who really wanted the LE.

FELIPE NO
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 01:06 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 11:06 AM #120 of 342
Originally Posted by Timberwolf
Why not go in your parents car?
Because that's somewhat part of the problem. My mom's all "YOU ALREADY SPENT SO MUCH, NOW YOU WANT MORE GAMES?!?!?" So I have to buy this somewhat discreetly. LOL Metal Gear Mom.

Can YOU smuggle a copy of METAL GEAR from EB Games to your PS2 without being detected?

But of course in a months time a charge will show on my VISA, but I'll say I don't have the receipt and it was for like some CDs and shit.

Again, living with family sucks.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

- What we all do best -
Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:39 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 04:39 PM #121 of 342
I love how USPS' "Tracking" is the biggest pile of shit ever. Saying it will "UPDATE at 6:00 PM." What a joke. All I want to know is when it will get to my house, jerkface.

Most amazing jew boots
Love it.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:43 PM #122 of 342
Originally Posted by Pietak
I love how USPS' "Tracking" is the biggest pile of shit ever. Saying it will "UPDATE at 6:00 PM." What a joke. All I want to know is when it will get to my house, jerkface.
At least your copy is on the way. There's still no change with GameStop.com....

Double Post:
Ok so consider my order cancelled.

I got off the phone with GameStop little over half an hour ago to find out just what the shit is going with my order. After 20 minutes waiting in a queue I finally get to customer service who already prepared for what I'm about to ask and simply said that they didn't receive enough copies than what they ordered. As such they should be getting more on March 23rd, a week from tomorrow.

Assuming they do and it ships on the 23rd, with the shipping and all I'd be lucky to get the game before the end of the month. They say they didn't get enough copies yet I've got a friend up in Maine who is the general manager of one GameStop willing to send me whatever number copies of the LE version and Saga DVD since they got plenty to go around....

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Simo; Mar 15, 2006 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:50 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 01:50 PM #123 of 342
ummm:
NICE! WIN ONE!

So when I got the store today, the clerk was just like, "zomg, can you please stop asking that, that's the ONLY question I've been hearing today...METAL GEAR THIS....... METAL GEAR THAT ........METAL GEAR AND A BASEBALL BAT".

They didn't even get the box opened in the back of the room and didn't know which box it was. Plus none of the preorders were delivered yet. So I asked the guy if I could TRY to get it that day, during my 1 hour lunch break, and that I was trading in some games for PS2. He told me to come back in an hour or so, but I came back about 30 mins later since time was running out of my lunch break, plus the time to get back to the office.

I went back there and it appears they managed to open the box of Subsistences. WIN! I was quite lucky to get it "open sale" before the preorder people came in for like $25.00 with the warranty. Cool.

And lucky.

If I learned anything today, I now know the "power" of preorders...especially come FFXII. Will post pics when I get back home.

- What we all do best -
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:51 PM #124 of 342
Yo....

And because the employer knows how much I love pre-order bonuses, he was cool enough to hold unto this limited art cel of Metal Gear Ac!d 2, just for me.

Just so you know, it's not the store that makes the buisness, it's the people who work there. So I'm fortunate to have some capable employers in my Gamestop.

First thing I did was fire up the online mode. The disc opens up with the online trailer found in the Saga disc (the one where all the players salute, among other things). The video quality is more compressed, but the sound is juiced up to compensate.

Anyway, creating an account and logging in was relatively painless. You pick a lobby to join in (everyone's huddles in the Snake lobby right now), then pick a game to join. I went with the quick jump option and engaged in a good hour of Snake vs Many, Red vs Blue, and Capture the Frog.

My thoughts? FANTASTIC.

The game is completely lag free, the third person camera is far superior to the old top/down view, and the amount of fun you can have is limitless. This game trumps SOCOM 3 in almost every way. The most welcome improvement is the size of the maps. Where SOCOM 3 was criticized for having areas that were too large, MGS's maps are sizable enough that it won't take you long to run into an opposing member. And even with respawn off, you can still have some fun running around as a ghost (complete with some creepy voiceovers). It doesn't seem you can do anything at all when you're a ghost, but it is fun to chase around a clueless enemy.

Groups consist of standard troops, followed by a team leader (who uses one of the main characters). The leaders have more life then the standard soldier, so they can be tricky to bring down. They also have the added bonus of voice taunts (Ocelot: "Thank you for showing me the joy of reloading!"). I've played a couple of leader characters, but I have no idea how to use the voice taunt. The manual is oddly devoid of any control info for the online game.

Another neat feature is the selection of music you can use during the gameplay. You can select music from MGS1 (including arranged music),MGS2, MGS3, and boss themes. You can even pick the Snake Eater theme used when you fight The Boss. The Volgin battle theme in particular makes for some AWESOME deathmatch music.

Unlike SOCOM 3, where I get hammered many of times by elite psychos, I did pretty well in my first playthrough of this game. There's a good balance here so it won't feel like you don't stand a chance against dedicated players (even though the leaders do have the life advantage). Even if you're getting pelted with bullets, you can quickly find cover and survive.

The only minor nitpicks I had where mostly techincal. For one, whenever I used voice chat, I got an echo of my own voice. I had the same problem with SOCOM 3, but I could disable it, while I've yet to find out how to do so here. Second, I got several "aborted by host" messages that kicked me out of the game. I assume this was manually done by whoever started the game, and not a techincal problem on my end.

Anyway, I can't praise the online mode enough. It's everything I hoped for. Getting CQC'd by Snake, then having him stay around my unconscious body (it seems rotating the right analog stick helps you recover) like I was of no concern, and then me getting revenge by CQC'ing him as Ocelot (complete with taunt)? Hell yeah.

Find me online as SNATCHER. It's the name I was aiming for from the start. It's a nice Kojima reference, it's easy to remember since it's similar to my GFF name, and it also sounds a little dirty.

Beware the Ocelot Unit.

Last edited by Soldier; Mar 15, 2006 at 03:53 PM.
Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 05:39 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 07:39 PM #125 of 342
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
And because the employer knows how much I love pre-order bonuses, he was cool enough to hold unto this limited art cel of Metal Gear Ac!d 2, just for me.

Fucking badass. *(Love the Snake in the pics too< it's like you read my mind) Pre-order bonus though... I don't understand, could you elaborate a bit more on it?

Oh and we're going to have a match for sure once everyone gets their games.

Most amazing jew boots
Love it.

Tags
best majym, links zuppd

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence