Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:17 PM #51 of 342
Yes! Hot, mature, homosexual kissing. I'm sold on this game.

How ya doing, buddy?
makura
!

Member 337

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:59 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 10:59 PM #52 of 342
Hrmm, I guess my impression of Demo Theatre was wrong. You can't switch characters in the clips, only putting on different camo and face paint on Snake. Every cut scene is there, but kinda repetitive if you got the Existence disc too.
The secret theatre has 16 outtakes, new ones with The End.. Paramedic..

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 01:28 AM #53 of 342
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Excellent news. And how's the new camera? Would you say it's better or worse then the original viewpoint?
I wouldn't know, I haven't played the Japanese version myself. The information comes from those who have though.

I hear some EBgames in Canada are trying to get the LE version if possible...

Most amazing jew boots
makura
!

Member 337

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:48 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 02:48 AM #54 of 342
Ahh! I almost forgot! The Snake Eater game itself has newer Girl Posters around the game.

Like in "Shadow of the Colossus," the new camera is freely moveable with the right joystick (up & down controls can be reversed.) Also, clicking the Right joystick will change the camera to it's default in the original Snake Eater.

I have to confess that I can't play the online mode (no adapter or high speed internet.)

There's new levels in Snake vs Monkey that I've beaten all..
And there's a Duel Mode in Normal and Hard Mode that is pretty challenging to get the high score.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by makura; Mar 10, 2006 at 03:54 AM.
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:31 AM #55 of 342
IGN has their review up:
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/694/694781p1.html

Quote:
Closing Comments
2004's Snake Eater was a fantastic but slightly-flawed game. Alternatively, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence goes a long way towards remedying the few problems of that acclaimed title with a brand new camera system that literally rejuvenates the gameplay. The online mode adds a ton of replay value as well, and has dozens of options to keep you returning to blow away friends late into the night. For fans of the series, the additional extras, including the two theater modes and original Metal Gear games are bonuses that are simply not to be missed. For the price and the extras, you can't go wrong with Subsistence -- even for those that have played and beaten the first game once or several more times, it still can't be missed.
Quote:
10 Presentation
The flashiest presentation for Subsistence comes from its movies and bonus features taking center stage, which are good, but superfluous to the rest of the gameplay.
9.5 Graphics
The visuals are untouched, but the new camera makes every texture look like new. Online play is lag free with very few hitches.
10 Sound
Sound has remained practically the same, which isn't a bad thing at all, since the sound delivery of the original was basically perfect.
10 Gameplay
You have to love how the new camera makes Snake Eater feel like a new game, and the other modes more than back up the single player experience, while multiplayer rocks all.
10 Lasting Appeal
A redone camera system, Duel Mode and a robust online play guarantees this isn't a one trick snake ... er, pony.
9.8 OVERALL
Incredible

FELIPE NO
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:07 PM #56 of 342
Looks like there's no widescreen or progressive scan. Bummer.

Still, it's awesome that Konami is giving us the MSX version of Metal Gear and not the NES port (which lacked the actual Metal Gear in the game), along with a new translation to boot. Take notes, Capcom.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:32 PM #57 of 342
Looks like I'll be picking this up, considering how the price is reasonable.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
makura
!

Member 337

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:39 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 03:39 PM #58 of 342
They changed the codec pictures in the old Metal Gear games to have Yoji Shinkawa's illustrations like in the first Metal Gear Solid game for PSX.

So no more funky looking pictures as seen in the walkthrough here. http://slowbeef.com/MG2/intro1.html

I didn't play the old Metal Gear games so I'm not sure if Big Boss still looks like Sean Connery. It'd be hilarious if that face was still in there.

On Disc 1, you can "download" the new camo's for Snake like the santa, mummy, dododo, etc. You don't have to have internet connection for that because I think they're already on the disc somewhere, but the thing is that you'd need about 830kb of space on your memory card for EACH new camo.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by makura; Mar 10, 2006 at 04:46 PM.
B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:54 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:54 PM #59 of 342
Quote:
10 Presentation
The flashiest presentation for Subsistence comes from its movies and bonus features taking center stage, which are good, but superfluous to the rest of the gameplay.
9.5 Graphics
The visuals are untouched, but the new camera makes every texture look like new. Online play is lag free with very few hitches.
10 Sound
Sound has remained practically the same, which isn't a bad thing at all, since the sound delivery of the original was basically perfect.
10 Gameplay
You have to love how the new camera makes Snake Eater feel like a new game, and the other modes more than back up the single player experience, while multiplayer rocks all.
10 Lasting Appeal
A redone camera system, Duel Mode and a robust online play guarantees this isn't a one trick snake ... er, pony.
9.8 OVERALL
Incredible
*faint*

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:54 PM #60 of 342
Originally Posted by striped phantom
but the thing is that you'd need about 830kb of space on your memory card for EACH new camo.
Are you serious.

That wouldn't be worth it.

makura
!

Member 337

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:34 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 05:34 PM #61 of 342
It's the same deal as in MGS3: Snake Eater, those who could download from the internet back then had to clear 850kb (correction) of space for each. The game can read the 'downloaded' camo data from either Memory Card slots, so get 2 or one with bigger capacity.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:40 PM #62 of 342
I see. I don't have an adapter, so I can't get on online with my PS2.

But if the camos are already on the disc ... why do they still take that much space?

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:28 PM #63 of 342
Quote:
*faint*
You think that's something, I got my next EGM today. The game got two 10's and one 9.5. Very impressive, considering how they pretty much slammed every single other game in their review section (Onimusha 4 took it hard, I thought it was supposed to be good...). Metal Gear Acid 2 got a good score as well, but I'm still not sure when that one's coming out (and wasn't it supposed to include a new MGS4 trailer?).

FELIPE NO
Zero
Lame

Member 573

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:25 PM #64 of 342
Man, I knew since the day I bought MGS3 that they would do an upgraded version of it. But I couldn't wait and I had to play my Snake Eater. So I bought it at 50 bucks. But now, reading the excellent reviews and seeing all the new features the game as to offer, theirs no way I’m not getting it. But now, who would want to buy the original for at least 10$. I should have sold it before…now it’s too late.

Currently Playing: Kingdom Heart II
Waiting for: Nothing this month
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:07 PM #65 of 342
Originally Posted by Zero
Man, I knew since the day I bought MGS3 that they would do an upgraded version of it. But I couldn't wait and I had to play my Snake Eater. So I bought it at 50 bucks. But now, reading the excellent reviews and seeing all the new features the game as to offer, theirs no way I’m not getting it. But now, who would want to buy the original for at least 10$. I should have sold it before…now it’s too late.
I feel the same way. When I bought the original MGS3 back in 2004, I had a feeling they were going to release a director's cut version sometime down the road. Just like what they did with Sons of Liberty.

But I didn't care, I wanted to play Snake Eater right then -- so I bought it. I don't regret it, though.

And I never had the urge to sell it. I mean, it's an original copy. It entertained me for some 100+ hours (I'm not joking). It would pain me to sell it.

I'll just pick up Subsistence anyway. They will just have to get along.

Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:53 PM #66 of 342
Originally Posted by Timberwolf
I feel the same way. When I bought the original MGS3 back in 2004, I had a feeling they were going to release a director's cut version sometime down the road. Just like what they did with Sons of Liberty.
I knew I was going to get MGS3. With Subsistence coming out at the current price point, I'm glad I waited. And while I'm at at I'll be sure to try and run down a copy of Substance.

B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:39 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 12:39 PM #67 of 342
Well I have to say that I will fallow post man all the time till he give me what I ordered =D He will have nightmares about me every night. After I get what I want I'll just put it in PS2 and vanish for a few days.

"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:43 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 12:43 PM #68 of 342
Herm, looks like its selling for $39.99 CDN here. Yeah no copies of the LE to be found. What's funny when I called up EBgames:

<ME> Hi, just wondering when Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence will be on sale?

<EBGames> Okay let me see....what system?.

<ME - seriously now>. Um yeah it's on the PS2.

<EBGames> Oh... I see, let's see, it's not out until this Wednesday.

<ME> Ok, and how much?

<EBGames> $39.99.

<ME> Thanks, bye.
__________________________________________________ ____
HI CAN I GET FINAL FANTASY XII FOR THE XBOX 360?

NO SIR, IT'S NOT YET RELEASED, YOU'LL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL MAY 2008.

- What we all do best -
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:54 PM #69 of 342
Originally Posted by Spatula
<EBGames> Okay let me see....what system?
Is he for real.

But yeah, $39.99 is very reasonable. I initially thought it was going to be released at full price, and I figured I would just stick with my original Snake Eater.

But I want to get this now.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:59 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 12:59 PM #70 of 342
I'm trading in a few games to get it cheaper (Suikoden III / Wild Arms 3, probably get $5 each if I'm lucky).

And yes, he is FOR REAL.

EBGAMES, WE TAKE GAMES SERIOUSLY (well not really)

- What we all do best -
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:08 PM #71 of 342
Spatula, you haven't played Snake Eater at all yet, right? (Or am I thinking of someone else?)

If that's the case, you're in for a treat.

FELIPE NO
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:12 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 01:12 PM #72 of 342
Nope, never even touched it. See the Ace Combat thread.

I’ve already seen more than enough screencaps and videos to get a good idea, but for actually playing it? No.

I told my mom I wanted MGS:3 SE for my birthday, but then I returned it (unopened, I might add) and got another game....cant remember.

Most will call me stupid for turning it back especially when I got it for free, but I heard about the horrid camera system and at that time heard that Subsistence would change that. I thought it would be better to go through Kojima’s “masterpiece” with all the “flaws” of SE fixed up fresh. I don’t think I’d be as hyped if I already played SE.

- What we all do best -
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:23 PM #73 of 342
Nope, never even touched it. See the Ace Combat thread.
Oh yeah, that's where I remember that from

I’ve already seen more than enough screencaps and videos to get a good idea, but for actually playing it? No.

I told my mom I wanted MGS:3 SE for my birthday, but then I returned it (unopened, I might add) and got another game....cant remember.

Most will call me stupid for turning it back especially when I got it for free, but I heard about the horrid camera system and at that time heard that Subsistence would change that. I thought it would be better to go through Kojima’s “masterpiece” with all the “flaws” of SE fixed up fresh. I don’t think I’d be as hyped if I already played SE.
The camera in the original Snake Eater definitely took some getting used to. I like to play my Metal Gear the stealth and no-kill way, and the camera was unfriendly. I relied heavily on the first-person perspective, and played extremely vigilantly and cautiously.

Which, in the end, really made the experience a lot of fun. The camera became second nature.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:48 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 01:48 PM #74 of 342
Since all this talk of MGS3, you've got no idea how SLOW time is crawling at my office.

Imagine me 3 days prior to FFXII release.

- What we all do best -
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:53 PM #75 of 342
Patience, young grasshopper.

Tags
best majym, links zuppd

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence