Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] Come On Ride The Train

NYRSkate
Happy Hour in Hell's Sports Bar

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:55 PM #1 of 26
Come On Ride The Train

Queens father fatally crushed by train after deranged man flings him onto Midtown subway tracks - NYPOST.com

I saw this article and I was like why the fuck not, it's been a few years since I made a thread. What would your first instinct be, to help the guy or to take a picture?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
<Mercarios> I voted for hut hut, because it's a superior track, but you gotta draw a line between having fun and going too far
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:33 PM 3 #2 of 26
Why the fuck are platforms at every goddamn train and subway station these six-foot sheer drops in the first place? I mean, I guess there's a deterrent effect there so you don't just try to run across the tracks to get to the opposite platform or whatever, but it seems like there must be a better way to achieve that then "you fell off the platform? well shit, any wisdom you want to pass on before you die?"

Anyways judging by the picture and the article it seems like maybe everybody was too far away to get to him in time to actually help pull him out, apparently because they were all avoiding the crazy panhandler.

Anyways I read article comments on the New York Fuckin' Post and now I'm going to be depressed the rest of the night. WHAT IF EVERYONE WAS CONCEALED CARRY THAT WOULD HAVE STOPPED A TRAIN

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:05 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2012, 08:05 PM #3 of 26
I still can't imagine why the photographer or someone else didn't at least trying to pull him up. Unless they just had no time to get to him, as they train was onto him too quick. That photographer saiid he wasn't strong enough to pull him up? Did he try? or did he just think that? I mean adrenaline is known to do some crazy shit even if you think you are weak.

I was in NYC over the summer, and I don't remember the exact layout of the tracks and what things are below, but can they not just make like an emergency GO HERE IF YOU ARE GOING TO DIE enclosed space area? Like a door to a small room or just a gap to avoid death so someone has time to get help. I would think there would be something.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Grundlefield Earth; Dec 4, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:31 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2012, 09:31 PM #4 of 26
I intensely dislike photographers, but everyone acting surprised about the man not being heroically saved despite there being time for snapping a photo is deluding themselves.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:43 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2012, 02:43 PM #5 of 26
This is depressing stuff. Dammit, Skate.

I think most people will rather take a picture than risk their lives trying to save that man. That's why camera phones were invented. I'll probably be too terrified to help the man. I'll be standing there, too shocked to move. All train platforms need to have those platform screen doors installed.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:08 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2012, 11:08 AM #6 of 26
It says in the article the photographer was running towards the train firing off his flash to warn the driver, the photo was just a by-product of this. That said, I can imagine as Pang said everyoe hanging back to avoid the crazy person.

I always figured train platforms were so high so that they're at the same height as the doors on the train so it's easier to get on and off them. We used to have trains with steps up to them over here and they weren't much fun for elderly or disabled people.

How ya doing, buddy?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:10 AM 1 #7 of 26
I read the article yesterday and I wondered why the photo was taken and it shows not one person in the area of the man, where he fell.

The article mentioned a collective gasp, too. So it's not like the fall didn't go unnoticed.

It's easy for me to ask why no one helped him, but I'm sure if I saw a man go over the edge, I would involuntarily run to help him, especially if no one else was. It looked like a couple of people could have easily (and quickly) pulled him up.

Things happen fast, though. And I get that. Snap decisions, etc. I wouldn't have gone flashing my flash at the driver to stop, running past him without helping. Judging from the photo, that's exactly what happened.

FELIPE NO
Maris
pussy violat0r

Member 25507

Level 19.75

Oct 2007

Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:13 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2012, 05:13 PM #8 of 26
hand that nigger over to kkk they know how to deal w/ him

Most amazing jew boots
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:52 AM #9 of 26
It says in the article the photographer was running towards the train firing off his flash to warn the driver, the photo was just a by-product of this.
This to me sounds like a rationalization after the fact. If he'd really been doing that, the pictures would have been of the ceiling.

"Oh, of course I was trying to save him and not taking pictures of his final moments like some sort of ghoulish vulture. I was trying to save him the only way I knew how: by taking pictures."

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:05 PM #10 of 26
Why the fuck are platforms at every goddamn train and subway station these six-foot sheer drops in the first place?
Pretty much what Shin said WRT the doors lining up with the platform. The trains in Boston (or some of them at least) have platforms that are at ground level but getting on the train requires stairs, which is no good for the elderly and disabled, and a pain in the ass for lazy people.

In our subways, if you're svelte enough you can lay down in the middle of the tracks and the train will pass over you without hurting you, but I think in the heat of the moment that's probably going to be the last thing on your mind.

As to why people didn't help him... I dunno, I feel like it's another heat of the moment thing. Crowds of people tend to back away when there's any kind of engagement with a crazy person, and by the time he got launched into the tracks it was probably too late. It's hard to imagine what you might do if you witnessed a situation like this. I probably wouldn't have taken a whole shitload of pictures though.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:41 PM #11 of 26
The trains in Boston (or some of them at least) have platforms that are at ground level but getting on the train requires stairs, which is no good for the elderly and disabled, and a pain in the ass for lazy people.
I was once stuck in Boston with no more than $2.95 to my name. I realized too late that I had gotten on the North platform when I needed to go South, so I jumped off the platform, ran across the lines and hopped back onto the correct, south-bound platform.

Was it easy getting up? Pretty much. But it was like a jump and then the rest is in your arms and then swinging your legs over. And if you got a train coming at you and you don't get it right the first time, you're done.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:42 PM #12 of 26
Pretty much what Shin said WRT the doors lining up with the platform. The trains in Boston (or some of them at least) have platforms that are at ground level but getting on the train requires stairs, which is no good for the elderly and disabled, and a pain in the ass for lazy people.
Not to detract from the conversation, but to the best of my knowledge, the trains in Boston metro proper (not commuter rails or outdoor stops) are all parallel with the platform.

Unless you're talking about getting IN to the car, in which case yes, there are usually stairs once you cross over the threshold and into the car, and it's a royal pain in the ass for the elderly and the disabled.

I think Pang was talking about why the cars are parallel to the platform. And it makes sense for them to be parallel!

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:50 AM Local time: Dec 6, 2012, 08:50 AM #13 of 26
One thing they could do is just have railings everywhere except for where the train doors are supposed to stop. They have that setup at some of the metro stations here in LA.

Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:34 AM #14 of 26
SON OF A FUCKING BITCH I CAN'T GET THIS SONG OUT OF MY HEAD

GOD DAMN IT SKATE

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:31 PM #15 of 26
One thing they could do is just have railings everywhere except for where the train doors are supposed to stop. They have that setup at some of the metro stations here in LA.
I can't remember if NYC's subway is like this, but at least in the DC metro the trains don't stop at a set place. Any railings would likely block the doors a good amount of the time, and cause hilarity to ensue as people shout at the train to move.

I'm not entirely against this.

FELIPE NO
Maris
pussy violat0r

Member 25507

Level 19.75

Oct 2007

Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:09 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2012, 08:09 PM #16 of 26
SON OF A FUCKING BITCH I CAN'T GET THIS SONG OUT OF MY HEAD

GOD DAMN IT SKATE
i report u for swearing around

there are young childrens in hear

some mod plz recougnise this report !

How ya doing, buddy?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:16 PM 4 #17 of 26
i report u for swearing around

Admins, name change requested for my account, please and thanks

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:31 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2012, 10:31 PM #18 of 26
They go one further than this on new Tube stations here and have fuck off great perspex screens all along the platform and sliding doors in them that only open when the train doors open. Had the same setup in a few stations in Perth when we went there. There's literally no way to get on the track from the platform.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:12 PM #19 of 26
I can't remember if NYC's subway is like this, but at least in the DC metro the trains don't stop at a set place. Any railings would likely block the doors a good amount of the time, and cause hilarity to ensue as people shout at the train to move.

I'm not entirely against this.
Actually, trains in DC all stop in the same place now, thanks to operator error between 6 and 8 car trains.

As far as making the track beds less deep to make it easier to escape, there's an electrified third rail. If people can easily jump across, they will, and then they'll get fried. Some foreign loon tried it in DC a few months ago (because she could do it in her home country) and she had to be pulled to safety.

Maris
pussy violat0r

Member 25507

Level 19.75

Oct 2007

Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:48 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2012, 10:48 AM 1 #20 of 26
Turkey Truncheonhow you get that pokemon in your user detail information ? also i must say i`am not content w/ the mgmt here i make a report yesterday and today nothiong hapened (??)

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:08 AM 3 #21 of 26
Citizen I received your report of swearing around and while I tried to act to stop all the swearing I regret to inform you that the culprit is a high-ranking apparatchik and outside the provisional authority of a regular policeman like myself. I issued him a ticket for public swearing but he just tore it up and laughed at me, after which he had my sister sent to Siberia. It is shameful and unendurable that all this swearing should be going on and we can do nothing! All we can do is calm our nerves by singing the traditional songs of our people.

YouTube Video

Maris
pussy violat0r

Member 25507

Level 19.75

Oct 2007

Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:23 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2012, 01:23 PM 3 #22 of 26
wtf man r u making fun of me --- i think you were my friend

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:37 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2012, 08:37 PM #23 of 26
Citizen I received your report of swearing around and while I tried to act to stop all the swearing I regret to inform you that the culprit is a high-ranking apparatchik and outside the provisional authority of a regular policeman like myself. I issued him a ticket for public swearing but he just tore it up and laughed at me, after which he had my sister sent to Siberia. It is shameful and unendurable that all this swearing should be going on and we can do nothing! All we can do is calm our nerves by singing the traditional songs of our people.

YouTube Video
YouTube Video

How ya doing, buddy?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:02 PM 6 #24 of 26
Citizen I received your report of swearing around and while I tried to act to stop all the swearing I regret to inform you that the culprit is a high-ranking apparatchik and outside the provisional authority of a regular policeman like myself. I issued him a ticket for public swearing but he just tore it up and laughed at me, after which he had my sister sent to Siberia. It is shameful and unendurable that all this swearing should be going on and we can do nothing!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:13 PM 1 #25 of 26
MULTI-TRACK SWEARING AROUND

YouTube Video

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > [News] Come On Ride The Train