Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] Distant Worlds - new Final Fantasy concert series

Rich-
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 25855

Level 2.97

Oct 2007

Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:21 AM Local time: Nov 8, 2007, 12:21 PM #26 of 61
Should I travel across Europe to see it? lol
I wish I had the money to...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Nov 9, 2007, 09:00 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2007, 04:00 AM #27 of 61
The tickets for the Meet & Greet are sold out now, so if anyone of you had planned on meeting him but not gotten a ticket yet, tough luck :P I'm happy I've gotten one, so I can't wait to actually meet him. I wonder though how many tickets it was in the first place.

Less than a month left! Woo

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Cogo
Carob Nut

Member 1859

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2007, 05:29 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2007, 11:29 PM #28 of 61
The tickets for the Meet & Greet are sold out now, so if anyone of you had planned on meeting him but not gotten a ticket yet, tough luck :P I'm happy I've gotten one, so I can't wait to actually meet him. I wonder though how many tickets it was in the first place.

Less than a month left! Woo
150 tickets. No wonder they sold out quickly!

Most amazing jew boots
Spelmusik.net - Swedish game music web site
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2007, 01:31 AM Local time: Nov 10, 2007, 10:31 PM #29 of 61
Dammit why can't more concerts be like VGL with their meet and greets? They let anyone with a ticket in, just for a limited time, then they keep rotating people in and out. All it takes is a little organization and everyone can have a chance to the meet and greet. And VGL's meet and greet has more people than Distand Worlds....

Oh well, gratz to those who were the lucky 150.

I was speaking idiomatically.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:21 AM Local time: Nov 11, 2007, 12:21 AM #30 of 61
VGL is a pretty special case. Meet and greets for commercial artists typically run how Distant Worlds/PLAY! runs, with premium ticketing. Think about it, yeah, the artist likes to see their fans, etc, but it must be pretty tiring sitting there for that long and not really having meaningful conversation with anyone. It's the same thing over and over again, you know?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Nov 12, 2007, 01:54 PM Local time: Nov 12, 2007, 08:54 PM #31 of 61
150 tickets. No wonder they sold out quickly!
Yeah, although they didn't sell out that quickly did they? Do you know an estimate of the time it took to sell them all (like how many days after release)?

Oh and does anyone know if Uematsu speak English or does he have a translator with him or something? I guess he has a bit of English knowledge, but will he be able to hold a conversation with us all in English or how will it work?

FELIPE NO
-=SeRaPH=-
I am Fluffy

Member 11403

Level 8.89

Aug 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 07:59 AM Local time: Nov 13, 2007, 11:59 PM #32 of 61
Is VGL that special? I think what they do is a common courtesy and the right mind set

We had all our guests meeting all the composers and our musicians for our A Night in Fantasia concerts. Yes it's tiring, but at the same time rewarding. How often do composers get to hear their music live and greet fans?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
datschge
Sakuraba Fan

Member 9353

Level 11.78

Jul 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:39 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2007, 11:39 PM #33 of 61
How often do composers get to hear their music live and greet fans?
Surely by far not as often as Nobuo Uematsu and Arnie Roth apparently do.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
-=SeRaPH=-
I am Fluffy

Member 11403

Level 8.89

Aug 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:44 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 09:44 AM #34 of 61
Well Uematsu attended our concert and greeted all his fan and gave out autographs. He seems to have enjoyed it quite a bit.

Most amazing jew boots
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 09:19 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2007, 06:19 PM #35 of 61
Oh, I'm not saying some composers don't enjoy it. I'm sure there are those who don't enjoy it, though.

When you open a free-for-all meet and greet like VGL does, they usually go on... and on... and on, up to three hours after the concert. Koji Kondo had to retire from the VGL show at GDC last year at 12am, which disappointed a lot of people, but yeah, I'm sure he was tired!

I love what VGL does with the meet and greet, but you have to admit that it's atypical, so I don't understand why people complain so much about paying a premium for the meet and greet when it's pretty standard in the music industry.

Anyway, please bring Eminence and Uematsu-san to California already. =)

How ya doing, buddy?
Rich-
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 25855

Level 2.97

Oct 2007

Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:29 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 10:29 AM #36 of 61
Yeah, although they didn't sell out that quickly did they? Do you know an estimate of the time it took to sell them all (like how many days after release)?

Oh and does anyone know if Uematsu speak English or does he have a translator with him or something? I guess he has a bit of English knowledge, but will he be able to hold a conversation with us all in English or how will it work?
I remember looking at jobs for Square-enix once and, on nearly every single one, you needed to be able to speak English and Japanese. But, considering Uematsu's skill, they may have passed that for him!

I'm guessing he probably will know english..

Most amazing jew boots
Cogo
Carob Nut

Member 1859

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 04:44 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 10:44 AM #37 of 61
I remember looking at jobs for Square-enix once and, on nearly every single one, you needed to be able to speak English and Japanese. But, considering Uematsu's skill, they may have passed that for him!

I'm guessing he probably will know english..
I spoke to Uematsu when I met him in Stockholm last year. He could understand somewhat of what I said and could also make me understand what he said (and hum Matoya's Cave for me), so I guess you can at least say some words to him and he will answer.

-=SeRaPH=-
I am Fluffy

Member 11403

Level 8.89

Aug 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:40 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2007, 12:40 AM #38 of 61
He's been there a long time way before those rules were imposed. He can't really speak much english, all his assistant did the talking even in Japanese.

Additional Spam:
Oh, I'm not saying some composers don't enjoy it. I'm sure there are those who don't enjoy it, though.

When you open a free-for-all meet and greet like VGL does, they usually go on... and on... and on, up to three hours after the concert. Koji Kondo had to retire from the VGL show at GDC last year at 12am, which disappointed a lot of people, but yeah, I'm sure he was tired!

I love what VGL does with the meet and greet, but you have to admit that it's atypical, so I don't understand why people complain so much about paying a premium for the meet and greet when it's pretty standard in the music industry.

Anyway, please bring Eminence and Uematsu-san to California already. =)
I'm planning to do something bigger than just brin Mr Uematsu out =D

Last edited by -=SeRaPH=-; Nov 15, 2007 at 08:41 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:54 PM Local time: Nov 27, 2007, 06:54 PM #39 of 61
New interview with Arnie Roth about Distant Worlds.

Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy Interview

Interesting stuff regarding a possible DVD release, and I hope he was made aware of the other composers who have composed music for Final Fantasy titles. I doubt the set list will change much, however.

FELIPE NO
Tommy Tallarico
Tommy Tallarico

Member 7546

Level 12.13

May 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 03:00 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 01:00 PM #40 of 61
VGL is a pretty special case. Meet and greets for commercial artists typically run how Distant Worlds/PLAY! runs, with premium ticketing. Think about it, yeah, the artist likes to see their fans, etc, but it must be pretty tiring sitting there for that long and not really having meaningful conversation with anyone. It's the same thing over and over again, you know?

Speaking as a video game composer and the person who has arranged over 40 video game concert meet & greets that have included over 250 industry people.... I can tell you that we all enjoy talking and listening to the fans who grace us with their presence. Lets face it... the video game industry hasn't exactly done a stellar job of focusing on the actual people who MAKE the games or music... so we've had to do it for ourselves. All of the game developers love the fact that they get a chance to meet the public in a way that is respecting their work, career and lives.

I perosonally believe it's an absolute travesty that some game concerts out there are changing people $125 - $150 to meet game composers. I can see if the industry was established so much that tens of thousands of people were selling out every show... then obviously you would need to somehow limit the number of people willing to attend the meet & greet (although when we played VGL at the Hollywood Bowl twice to over 11,000 people... we didn't).

When we play a normal show there are about 2,500 people in the audience. We find an average of about 800 - 1,000 people stay after for the meet & greet. It normally takes us about 2 - 3 hours to get through the entire line (and mostly because we have so many game industry people at our meet & greets).

Our goal has always been to spread the word about game music and game music composers to as many people as possible. I believe that by having a free meet & greet that our goals of exposing people to the talent of game music are being accomplished on a greater scale.

But hey... that's just me and my outlook. It's fine to have other opinions and to set concerts up in different ways. Just giving my opinion from someone who knows how cool it is to meet the fans interested enough to want to meet us.

Tommy

================================================== ==================

Additional Spam:
Is VGL that special? I think what they do is a common courtesy and the right mind set

We had all our guests meeting all the composers and our musicians for our A Night in Fantasia concerts. Yes it's tiring, but at the same time rewarding. How often do composers get to hear their music live and greet fans?
Exactly!! I agree 100%!

Tommy

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Tommy Tallarico

President, Tommy Tallarico Studios, Inc. (www.tallarico.com)
Founder/CEO, Video Games Live (www.videogameslive.com)
Founder/CEO, Game Audio Network Guild [G.A.N.G.] (www.audiogang.org)

Facebook Personal Page
Facebook Video Games Live Page
Twitter Personal
Twitter Video Games Live
YouTube Channel Personal
YouTube Channel Video Games Live

Last edited by Tommy Tallarico; Dec 2, 2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 03:22 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 12:22 PM #41 of 61
Don't take what I said as a complaint of any sort! I absolutely love what VGL does, and I think it's an impressive feat to get everyone there for 2-3 hours. I've gone through those lines, so I know first-hand how amazing it is.

I'm simply saying that I don't mind paying a premium to attend a meet and greet, since I also understand that's how it's done elsewhere in the industry, and I personally find it worth it.

Keep up the good work, Tommy. =)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Tommy Tallarico
Tommy Tallarico

Member 7546

Level 12.13

May 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 03:25 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 01:25 PM 7 #42 of 61
Don't take what I said as a complaint of any sort! I absolutely love what VGL does, and I think it's an impressive feat to get everyone there for 2-3 hours. I've gone through those lines, so I know first-hand how amazing it is.

I'm simply saying that I don't mind paying a premium to attend a meet and greet, since I also understand that's how it's done elsewhere in the industry, and I personally find it worth it.

Keep up the good work, Tommy. =)

No... not at all. I didn't think you were complaining. Just wanted to give my perspective and experience with other industry folks about having to sit for hours and meet the public. We all love it!

T.T.

Tommy Tallarico

President, Tommy Tallarico Studios, Inc. (www.tallarico.com)
Founder/CEO, Video Games Live (www.videogameslive.com)
Founder/CEO, Game Audio Network Guild [G.A.N.G.] (www.audiogang.org)

Facebook Personal Page
Facebook Video Games Live Page
Twitter Personal
Twitter Video Games Live
YouTube Channel Personal
YouTube Channel Video Games Live
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:17 AM Local time: Dec 6, 2007, 02:17 PM #43 of 61
Distant Worlds in Stockholm's Konserthuset was by a million miles the best vgm concert I've ever been to (it was my third). No crappy compositions or dull arrangements of Halo or old Amiga music I personally don't care for in particular. I go for the emotion rush, and Uematsu's music gives just that to me. I grew up with his music and the games that came as a side bonus to his music (heh), so it's only natural. And The Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra is one of (if not the) best orchestra I've witnessed live.

Of course I could write down a "dream concert" of my own that would of course include music outside of Final Fantasy too, but DW is currently the best thing the vgm world has to offer to me these days in terms of live concerts (VGL and Play! are both a bit multi-faced and all-praising to me).

Or I could just arrange my own concert where the orchestra would play just what I want.

Anyway, I approve of the Distant Worlds, so awesome. <3 And the recording done by TRSPO sold at the venues is by far the best orchestral arrangement/performance cd I've heard inside the vgm circles.

I perosonally believe it's an absolute travesty that some game concerts out there are changing people $125 - $150 to meet game composers. I can see if the industry was established so much that tens of thousands of people were selling out every show... then obviously you would need to somehow limit the number of people willing to attend the meet & greet (although when we played VGL at the Hollywood Bowl twice to over 11,000 people... we didn't).
I agree. Even though the charge was only 25 USD in Distant Worlds, I didn't plan on paying to see Nobuo Uematsu (since I've already met him in a more "intimate" surrounding than a cold, impersonal, paid-for meet&greet could ever offer). It's outrageous, but there are (a lot of) stupid enough people to pay for it. And the concert organizers sure could use every extra penny they get from cd sales and other collateral stuff.

The free meet&greet with Yamaoka & co earlier this year was great. How come Arnie gave up on that. =/

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:28 AM Local time: Dec 6, 2007, 05:28 PM #44 of 61
And the recording done by TRSPO sold at the venues is by far the best orchestral arrangement/performance cd I've heard inside the vgm circles.
Does that mean you picked it up? I'd love to take a listen to it, but for some reason it seems you can't order it from the official site yet.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 02:28 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2007, 09:28 PM #45 of 61
Does that mean you picked it up? :rolleyes: I'd love to take a listen to it, but for some reason it seems you can't order it from the official site yet.
I picked up three. Let's see if we can work something out. ;)

The first print was completely sold out during the half-time pause of the concert, so maybe that's why it's unorderable. =D

Cogo
Carob Nut

Member 1859

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 04:32 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2007, 10:32 PM #46 of 61
Kishin: Great that you also loved the concert! Too bad the time passed so fast and I could not find you. But hey, there will be more concerts. Maybe even in Helsinki. Yes, you read that right. Read more in my interview with Arnie Roth here:

Spelmusik.net - Coverage in English

For me, Maria and Draco was the best moment of the concert. And the encore, with Terra's Theme accompanied with a credit list of the people involved in Distant Worlds, done by in-game graphics from the opening of Final Fantasy VI, was fantastic. As the FF fan I am, I loved the most of the concert - including some favorites like Don't be Afraid, Opening ~ Bombing Mission, Memoro de la Stono ~ Distant Worlds and Love Grows.

The CD is indeed really really nice Hopefully you guys can preorder it soon.

Additional Spam:
The Distant Worlds CD is now available at Amazon.com:
Amazon.com: Distant Worlds: music from Final Fantasy: Music: Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra,Arnie Roth,Nobuo Uematsu

Last edited by Cogo; Dec 7, 2007 at 09:25 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Dec 9, 2007, 05:28 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2007, 12:28 AM #47 of 61
Thought I'd pop in and tell what I thought of the concert.

First, I have to say, this was the best friggin musical event I've ever been to, and one of the best days in my life. The whole day had been fantastic, and when it came to the actual concert I was overwhelmed by it. The atmosphere before the concert was very nice, I talked with lots of people and I made sure I was one of the first buyers of the merchandise and CD (I was going to make the first CD sold mine, but I only managed to get the fifth ). I bought the CD and the hawt T-shirt, I didn't buy the poster because I don't like them anyways.

Sitting there in my seat, waiting for the orchestra to come out and the concert to begin I saw this little man with black hair a mustache and glasses coming in through the door, taking a seat 2 rows below me. "Hey, wait a minute... Isn't that... Uematsu?? ". Yes indeed, it was the one and only, Uematsu Nobou. So that meant I got to enjoy the concert literally with Uematsu himself Could you have more luck than that? (maybe if you sat on the same row as him I guess). BTW, I noticed in this youtube video that you can actually see me in the uppermost right corner on 0:08 taking pictures of him when he came back to his seat after the break in the middle of the concert. I never got any good shots though, because the camera was my friends and it was pure crap and only took like 1 shot every ten seconds so I didn't manage to get any good ones (he turned away his head every time), plus the quality was crap.

I can't find words for how great the concert was. Everything, simply everything was perfect. The symphony orchestra, the soloists, and the great conductor Arnie Roth couldn't have done it much better. I seriously had constant goosebumps through the first half of the concert, because it was so damn good. The video clips they had put together timed surprisingly well with the actual music and totally brought up the total experience with in game videos/CG videos and artwork. Like when they brought up an ingame video from FF VIII and they ran around till they got into a random encounter, and BAM, "Don't be Afraid" started up

All songs were superb, and it's hard to tell which were my favorites. The "Maria and Draco" opera was great, Love Grows was great, Fisherman's Horizon was great, Aerith's theme was great, Terra's theme was great, One Winged Angel was great, what the heck, everything was great.

And then I got to meet Uematsu and Arnie Roth after the concert! It felt so unreal meeting Uematsu so I didn't really know what to say, I had thought up a lot of things to say but when it came to it I didn't say that very much except thanking him for the great concert and asking him to sign my stuff. But I don't regret it that much, as I got to shake his hand and got to take a picture with me and him (I would show it to you, but it's on my friends camera so I'll show it to you guys later). I also spoke with Arnie Roth, and as he is fluent in English it was also easier to get through to him and bring up a discussion. Oh and yeah I got both of their autographs on the CD and the concert tickets.

The CD is the best of all orchestral versions of the Final Fantasy songs IMO, So I recommend you to get it if you're a die hard Final Fantasy fan/VGM fan.

After the concert I also met this real cute and hot gaming girl (didn't think they existed) that had played a lot of FF games, it was really fun discussing the games and concert with her. We actually shared a taxi to Uppsala because that's where we both were going. But I regret I didn't get her mail or something Ah well. Not that it has anything to do with the concert

If you weren't there, you really really missed something. I pity all you people who couldn't be there that magical evening.

FELIPE NO
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2008, 06:08 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2008, 04:08 PM #48 of 61
Jumpstarting this old thread.

Did anyone else attend the Chicago performance last night? It was the first time I heard video game music performed live and it was a good treat. Arnie Roth was a great conductor and his enthusiasm shone through wonderfully, and his arrangement of the Chocobo theme was stellar.

Unfortunately there seemed to be some balance issues; the brass section was either strangely outnumbered or they played the entire evening with a deliberate restraint. Trumpet lines were masked entirely on occasion, and the horn moments in high-energy pieces like Bombing Mission were held back.

The greatest part of the evening though was seeing all the unwashed unkempt men arriving in dirty jeans and oversized hooded sweatshirts. Way to go all out with the concert attire, guys.

Most amazing jew boots
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Mar 6, 2008, 08:00 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2008, 05:00 PM #49 of 61
Impressions of the Chicago US debut:

Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy Chicago.

Looked like a good show. Quite cool that they added more pieces to the set list. They could have cut it at the 13 that are on the CD.

Additional Spam:
The greatest part of the evening though was seeing all the unwashed unkempt men arriving in dirty jeans and oversized hooded sweatshirts. Way to go all out with the concert attire, guys.
Oh, and about this. You should read up about the show. It's not meant to be some high-brow symphonic concert. It's for fans, and fans apparently wear jeans and hoodies.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Arcubalis; Mar 6, 2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:00 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2008, 08:00 PM #50 of 61
Oh, and about this. You should read up about the show. It's not meant to be some high-brow symphonic concert. It's for fans, and fans apparently wear jeans and hoodies.
Surely you agree there's a difference between casual and uncouth?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [News] Distant Worlds - new Final Fantasy concert series