Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Official Nintendo Wii thread
Closed Thread

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:09 AM Local time: Sep 16, 2006, 02:09 AM #301 of 1979
Originally Posted by Prime Blue
Nintendo's just retarded.

Japan: 25000 Yen = 167 €
USA: 250 USD = 196 €
Europe: 250 € = 37300 Yen = 320 USD

Huh, anyone?
I think you're forgetting that each area has it's own profit gap, because Nintendo obviously must of taken into consideration where they're going to sell more consoles and where they aren't. Europe is apparently the least bit interested in the Wii, so it isn't their priority.

I wonder what the advertising will be like. Of course Nintendo here isn't Nintendo, it's fed through some garbage company for distribution (there isn't even a Nintendo of New Zealand, and this is a pretty well established country) but hopefully it won't end up like the gamecube's.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:24 AM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 02:24 PM #302 of 1979
Originally Posted by Elixir
Europe is apparently the least bit interested in the Wii, so it isn't their priority.
So... Low demand = High price? Right, yeah.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be offensive but at the moment I'm just very upset.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Tellurian
To know the face of God is to know Madness

Member 1328

Level 17.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:28 AM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 03:28 PM #303 of 1979
I don't know when, where or who said that it could well be in the 150€ area.
Even though I got the idea somewhere in the back of my head that I'd heard it myself somewhere. Just can't put my finger on where or when or from which source. I guess it was just a speculation at some point. I didn't think it realistic anyway so I dismissed it. 250 bucks is pretty much okay. The Gamecube had a similar price tag when it launched.
What I find a bit strange though is the lack of DVDPlayer capabilities in the Wii. Not that I'd miss it... Just a bit... strange.

How ya doing, buddy?
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:48 AM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 02:48 PM #304 of 1979
Originally Posted by Tellurian
I don't know when, where or who said that it could well be in the 150€ area.
Noone specifically stated that it would cost about €150. It's just the "affordable for anyone" comment in conjunction with the reports about the Wii production price of roughly €130.
As I said before, €200 would have been okay but €250 is a slap in the face. Europe gets the Wii last and has to pay most.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 09:16 AM #305 of 1979
I really don't see what the problem is, besides the excessive cost of the Wiimote+Nunchuck combo, everything else looks fine to me. A $250 at launch might be a few dollars expensive, but that hardly justifies 3 pages of argument of the justification of the price. Come on, this is business, you want to get as much of a profit as you can without betraying the consumer's trust. Nintendo's only other argument was the "No more than $250" and it has stuck by that. Affordability to everyone has a slightly different meaning for different people. So using that as argument against the $250 price point is useless.

As for the Wiimote+Nunchuck, I agree, that is a bit excessive on the price. $50 as said before would make a better price point. The $60 would also be justifiable if the Wii console comes with 2 controllers. Most people would own 2 controllers regardless of the console they have, since it seems to be the sweet spot for most gamers, who occasionally have a buddy to play with and don't have extravagant parties.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 09:16 AM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 08:16 AM #306 of 1979
You all are aware the the Wii is 179 Pounds and 249 Euros right? Just wanted to make sure that was clarified.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:42 AM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 12:42 PM #307 of 1979
NOA hasn't listed the MSX as being available as a VC option in the US. Has Nintendo said anything about VC games being available across all regions? Will I be able to get MSX games even though I'm in the US, assuming they're at a reasonable price?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:07 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 09:07 AM #308 of 1979
By the way... if you haven't already, check out the Wii Boxing clip on IGN:

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/826/826987/vids_1.html

There's definately some "next gen juice" flowing in that portion of Wii Sports. The motion blur "flicker" on your transparent boxer man, and the woosh of the gloves looks really spectacular. If the rest of the Wii Sports titles get that kind of polish before launch, I'll be muchly pleased.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:29 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 07:29 PM #309 of 1979
Originally Posted by Prime Blue
Nintendo's just retarded.

Japan: 25000 Yen = 167 €
USA: 250 USD = 196 €
Europe: 250 € = 37300 Yen = 320 USD

Huh, anyone?
Yeah, you can thank the EU taxes for this. Nintendo will probably be gaining the same amount of profit pr. console.
Damn, I can't even remember when I've bought a game in Europe last. It's just cheaper from the US, adding shipping costs and all =/

Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:45 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 12:45 PM #310 of 1979
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
Separately sold controller parts are a crime to both consumers and developers if it's the only option.
Yeah, anyone else think that the Nunchuck attachment is going to become the Wii's equivalent of the Xbox 360 harddrive? Developers can't even guarantee that everyone would have the attachement for multiplayer games, so they might forgo using it altogether. I'm really starting to get worried that "pointer-only games" will become as common on the Wii as stylus-controlled games on the DS: they'll start using that feature exclsively simply because it's THERE, not because it works better that way. The fact that developers can't count on every playing having the analog stick attachement just makes that all the more likely.

Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey
Ooh, Europe gets WiiPlay as a launch title (the game comes with a Wii controller packed in). WiiPlay includes Duck Hunt, Table Tennis, some.. weird Kuru Kuru Kururin style game where you move your custom characters around a maze and other stuff.
THAT'S where they moved Duck Hunt to? Ugh, I thought it was supposed to be part of Wii Sports. It was the only game in the pack that even would've even been worthwhile playing. And...when does that game come to America? Might as well just pick it up since the controllers are just as expensive as it anyway. Actually, here's a dumb question...if the game+controller costs as much as a controller...why wouldn't you just buy the game/controller combo and sell the game instead of buying a full controller separately?

Also, to clairify: The Wii is not region-free. Nintendo's first party games for the console are region free (at least to start), but the console itself still has region locking. It seems there's been a bit of confusion on this:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19686

Quote:
Nintendo UK has admitted that the Wii console is region-locked after all, despite comments from Nintendo of America to the contrary.

Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:48 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 06:48 PM #311 of 1979
Originally Posted by Malmer
Yeah, you can thank the EU taxes for this.
Unfortunately no. Shipping taxes and toll to Germany for electronic products are roughly 20%.

Initial price €167 (Yen 25000)
+ taxes and toll € 33 (20%)
============================
Reasonable price €200 (= $250)

Nintendo's greed is responsible for this shit.
Who needs Wii Sports? It's just a lame excuse for the overpriced console. If they released a few bundles with other games it would have been a different story, though.

BTW: You can beat up women in Wii Boxing! Cool, misogynist festival!

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Prime Blue; Sep 15, 2006 at 12:51 PM.
JackyBoy
A Cinnamon Role?

Member 2219

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:51 PM #312 of 1979
The pricing is pretty much what I came to expect. The $199 many were hoping for is way too optimistic regardless of what is bundled with the console, although it's too bad Nintendo won't offer a couple tiers for consumers to choose among. I would rather purchase the Wii with the bare necessities for a cheaper price and let me choose my own games to take home. Wii sports will get shelved the moment I take it out the box, it's just not my type of game.

Virtual Console. I don't mind that it's there but I have zero intentions of taking advantage of it. I can currently play any classic game on my PC for free and choose not to. Suddenly having to spend money to do so and, well you guessed it, ain't happening.

I'm a little surprised Nintendo is throwing in some mutlifunctional uses with the Wii. I thought the console was orginally borne to be solely a gaming machine. I find the built-in weather station thingy an odd inclusion considering you can simply access sites such as http://www.weathernetwork.ca/ with the browser. I really can't see myself taking advantage of these or the digital photo viewer and video/DVD add-on playback features. But I suppose that's besides the point because what I will take advantage of is being able to play some kick ass games.

Most amazing jew boots

You're staring at me like I just asked you what the fucking square root of something.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 01:01 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 12:01 PM #313 of 1979
Originally Posted by JackyBoy
I'm a little surprised Nintendo is throwing in some mutlifunctional uses with the Wii. I thought the console was orginally borne to be solely a gaming machine. I find the built-in weather station thingy an odd inclusion
I wonder if this could spawn a new type of interactivity. For example, could a game's weather environment be based off a feed from the web (since all consoles have 'net connectivity now) in real-time? I could see a few interesting possibilities here linked to other things...

Anyhow, I've never purchased a sports game in my life (unless you count racing, which I count as a completely separate genre) yet I think I would enjoy playing the Wii sports games with the Wii-mote.

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 01:11 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 01:11 PM #314 of 1979
Actually I just thought of something: does anyone else think it's ironic that the Wii is the only system this generation that COULD have benefitted from multiple pacakages to choose from, yet it's the only one that DOESN'T offer that? I mean really, the Xbox 360's core/premium pack screwed up developers since they can't count on everyone having a harddrive, the PS3's low priced pack probably can't be upgraded to the HDMI port (leaving early adopters screwed out of HD blu-ray playback later on), yet with the Wii...they could've EASILY made a "Wii core pack" with just the console and controller for $200, and a "starter pack" for $260 or thereabouts that include an extra controller and Wii Sports. It's like the only package the US is getting is the "high end" one without an option to buy a lower end one. Then again, Europe is just getting screwed, so I guess we should be at least a little thankful.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 01:44 PM Local time: Sep 16, 2006, 03:44 AM #315 of 1979
Originally Posted by Solis

Also, to clairify: The Wii is not region-free. Nintendo's first party games for the console are region free (at least to start), but the console itself still has region locking. It seems there's been a bit of confusion on this:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19686
Wii gives the developers the right to choose if their game is region free.

FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
Black Mage
Nothing beats a Sunny Day!

Member 264

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 01:44 PM #316 of 1979
I'm not sure what to believe on the Region-Locking. Nintendo of America's word vs Nintendo UK's. I'm inclined to believe NOA, but only because I'd rather that be true.

Last edited by Black Mage; Sep 15, 2006 at 01:47 PM.
CloudNine
#ABCDEF

Member 43

Level 18.48

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 01:57 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 01:57 PM #317 of 1979
Originally Posted by avanent
But see, if the console itself has region locking, then it would seem as if old Gamecube games that were region locked would not be able to be played on it.

The way it seems to me is this:

Region free games can be played on any region system.
Region games can only be played on their corresponding regoin's system.

So it seems no Japanese gamecube imports on your NA Wii.

Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 02:01 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 02:01 PM #318 of 1979
Originally Posted by avanent
But that's how every region locked disc-based system has been. Developers could choose if they wanted Xbox and I think PS2/Gamecube games to be region locked, it's just that most of them didn't. The Wii is no different, but like the Xbox 360 quite a few developers seem to be making their games region-free.

But with that, it means that the chance of Gamecube games not being region locked on the Wii is extremely minimal.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 02:23 PM Local time: Sep 16, 2006, 04:23 AM #319 of 1979
Originally Posted by Solis
But that's how every region locked disc-based system has been. Developers could choose if they wanted Xbox and I think PS2/Gamecube games to be region locked, it's just that most of them didn't. The Wii is no different, but like the Xbox 360 quite a few developers seem to be making their games region-free.

But with that, it means that the chance of Gamecube games not being region locked on the Wii is extremely minimal.
Is that so?

Hmm... I'm not sure what to think about this.

Not like its going to really matter for me. I've never imported a game and have no plans to.

FELIPE NO
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 02:44 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 12:44 PM #320 of 1979
Guys, the economics of this isn't just a straight exchange rate. It also matters the likelihood that someone in the region will buy something at a set price.

You can have a higher price versus an exchange rate if a price is not viewed as higher. What Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony are saying (in part) is that $250 holds the same value in the US when considering electronic entertainment as <however much it is> in Europe, Australia, or Japan.

There are also other differences in shipping and marketing that are factored in. Don't just look at an exchange rate.

Originally Posted by Technophile
Stating way early on that the price won't exceed $250 rather than saying "it'll be $250", implies that the price is going to be less than the stated amount.
I mean, the last I checked, "won't exceed $250" means "won't exceed $250"...I must have missed a couple days in English class that you made it to.

How ya doing, buddy?
and Brandy does her best to understand
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:35 PM Local time: Sep 16, 2006, 01:35 PM #321 of 1979
I'm totally confused. Apparently they announced in europe that the Wiis there aren't region free, yet the ones in america are. That makes no sense because everyone from europe would just import them from america.

So which is it? I missed the european conference, since eurogamer wasn't loading worth shit and I don't think there'll be anything of it on gamespot.

Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:48 PM #322 of 1979
Ahahaha! The guys over at the official Nintendo forums are quite amusing. =)

Wii: A Modest Proposal - Wii - Nintendo NSider Forums

I can't believe I used that much effort but when you start mixing in quality posting in there it just equals comedy gold. Too hard to resist. ='D

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:07 PM #323 of 1979
We need X-LEM to come here for discussions. I love this guy!

Originally Posted by X-LEM
first of all you should have pook (long read on your tytle)
second the reasom nintendo is making it 250.00 is because on all there other consolls the don't make any money
they just made money on the games/controller/ect. nintendo is a conpany to that laso neads to
make money
a while back all you poepl said was taht if they didn't have Wii sprots with the Wii it would be
the dumbest thing because nowon would bight it except a few people.
Though now that they do have it your all complaing because the game is not worth 40.oo dallars.
But it is, if you think about it Wii sports is basicly the same thing as super monkeyball (the first one)
whitch was sold for 50.00 bucks. Now i have heard people (like you) saying that for 50 dallars more you could get a 360. Ok you could but that is for the lower vertion of it (witch does not incluse a 120.00 hard drive and a wired controller) and a few other thing but the 360 doesn't have a game does it also mose of there games are 60-75 bucks while the Wii will never go over 60.00
so realy for what they put out they have to price it at.

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:11 PM #324 of 1979
Haha, that was quite something. Although, it took a few posts to get to the funny stuff.

Originally Posted by MARIO1222
stupid!!
do u people ever stop complaining u nerdy fanboy.ur just making a escuse becouse ur too poor to afford a wii.all u people do is have negative threads .u peeps sound like emos.....

Last edited by Darkcomet72; Sep 15, 2006 at 08:19 PM.
Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:16 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 06:16 PM #325 of 1979
Then we have this little number...

Originally Posted by MARIO1222
im not flaming its just that this is been like the third week of just people flamming and stuff like that.i havent had a real disscussion in a while...
I don't know how you can tolerate even responding to this guy, AcerBandit. You certainly have a lot of patience.

Heh, he even posts about having a "real disscussion."

Most amazing jew boots
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Official Nintendo Wii thread