Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Pang's Violence Basement
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

GFF Risk 9 Signups
Closed Thread

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2009, 07:23 PM #1 of 19
GFF Risk 9 Signups

It's been a year and a half since the last game of GFF Risk was played, certain people have been nagging me to run a new game for some time. The addition of the dice tool simplifies things immensely, and this time around the workings of the game will fall less on me and more equally on all the players. Plus, I've made some changes so that your chances of winning don't rely on your ability to post your attacks at the most opportune moment.

First off, a link to the GFWiki page to remind folks how the game was played in the past. Complicated, yes, but I plan to streamline things. Here's how it will work now:
  • There will be a set order of turns. No more free-for-all on posting, or waiting until just the right time to strike.
  • When your turn comes around, you take all your actions. You can attack or purchase and use/purchase items, in no particular order, until you can't do anything else and end your turn.
  • No more sending in numbers for attack/defense. Instead, you'll roll a 1d10, labeling it with the state you're attacking. If you roll a 1-5, the attack fails, and a 6-10 means a successful attack. This means when your turn comes, you'll know exactly who owns what. You can still make 1 attack, see how it turns out, then do another one (keep editing your post).

We'll be playing on a map of the US, which I still have thanks to Zergrinch from a previous game. When you sign up, I need which 3 states you want to start with. Let's aim to start the game on Thursday (2/26). I'll start a new game thread, and announce the randomly selected turn order. Otherwise, throw out any suggestions you have here.
Players
1. nuttyturnip - Maryland, Iowa, Idaho
2. Zergrinch - Hawaii, Rhode Island, Tennessee
3. KrelEN - Illinois, California, Alaska
4. Rockgamer - Texas, DC, New York
5. Tritoch - Michigan, Delaware, Utah
6. Hawkeye - North Dakota, Washington, Arizona
7. Dullenplain - South Dakota, Kentucky, Colorado
8. Plarom - Connecticut, New Jersey, Nevada

Spreadsheet

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:50 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2009, 09:50 AM #2 of 19
Turnip, it's best if someone impartial does the editing and gil awarding, else it will develop into an unmanageable mess.

So the suggestion is, don't give everyone edit rights, just viewing rights.

Also, the map includes the five great lakes. Will they be considered as states for this iteration?

Also, I want the flourescent green color, and the states of Hawaii, Rhode Island, and Tennessee.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:56 PM #3 of 19
Turnip, it's best if someone impartial does the editing and gil awarding, else it will develop into an unmanageable mess.

So the suggestion is, don't give everyone edit rights, just viewing rights.

Also, the map includes the five great lakes. Will they be considered as states for this iteration?
It's a tough call on the editing rights. My goal is to make sure the chart stays up to date, so that when your turn comes around, you can see exactly who owns what without having to decipher the posts above you. Otherwise, I can try to keep it up to date when I'm around a computer (9am-4pm, 7pm-11pm during the week), and if you take your turn when I'm not around, you'll need to use your brain a bit. What do the rest of you think? I'm not impartial, by the way, since I'm playing (no numbers means I have no advantage over anyone else). I get your drift, though.

Also, I left the lakes off for this iteration, just to simplify.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:20 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2009, 10:20 AM #4 of 19
You should still keep a separate running tally, to doublecheck against any mistakes, in any case

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:29 PM #5 of 19
The more I think about it, you're probably right. I'm around most of the time to keep the spreadsheet up to date, and since there's no advantage to being first/last to post, there shouldn't be a flurry of people taking their turns in the middle of the night. I'll just handle the spreadsheet myself.

How ya doing, buddy?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:34 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2009, 02:34 AM #6 of 19
I'll take (bright) red if ye please.

And I call Illinois, California and Alaska.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:52 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2009, 08:52 PM #7 of 19
Even though I might be a bit busy with school, with the new format I should be able to keep up to date. I'll sign up with black (the second, darker gray?), and I'll take Texas, D.C., and New York.

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:48 AM #8 of 19
I'll take Michigan, Delaware, and Utah. You shall all cower in fear of my orange Mormon army.

How ya doing, buddy?
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:54 AM Local time: Feb 23, 2009, 10:54 AM #9 of 19
I've been thinking about it, and as long as I don't need to be on every time someone attacks me, I should be fine.

I'll be purple and take North Dakota, Washington, and Arizona.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2009, 04:21 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2009, 03:21 PM #10 of 19
Put me down for South Dakota, Kentucky, and Colorado.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Feb 24, 2009, 01:02 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2009, 12:02 AM #11 of 19
how exactly are Alaska and Hawaii connected to the rest of the map?

also, what exactly can one do in a turn (how many attacks, etc.)?

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:59 AM #12 of 19
how exactly are Alaska and Hawaii connected to the rest of the map?

also, what exactly can one do in a turn (how many attacks, etc.)?
For the purposes of the game, I'll say Alaska is connected to Washington, and Hawaii is connected to California.

I haven't decided on how many attacks per turn; it'll depend on how many people are playing (fewer people=more attacks). Probably around 4-5. You can also purchase/use as many items as you have money for. You get 1 gil each time you acquire a territory (by annexing at the beginning, by successful attack, or by item use), and you also get 1 gil each time an attack against you fails. I'll post a chart with the cost for each item, and also elaborate rule specifics in the actual game thread.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:16 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2009, 10:16 PM #13 of 19
How would spies/ninjas work, now that you're playing along? (Or are you not using them this time?)

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:51 AM #14 of 19
No ninjas/spies/Phoenix Shield/Satellite Defenses this game. There's no easy way to work them when attacks are being handled by dice, and there's no omniscient moderator.

On a similar note, I'm not sure about first day immunity and Warlords. Whoever goes first is at a disadvantage, because if everyone else decides to attack him after he moves, what can he do? Warlords is easier to implement, but I doubt anyone will reach it, since they'd have to maintain the status after everyone else has a chance to attack them.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:05 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2009, 11:05 PM #15 of 19
Looks like you're going to do a lot of thinking on the format then, because of all the openness and the lack of an omniscient mod! It is going to play so very different from the regular GFF Risk game.

For the second point, there's no easy answer other than to cancel turns and letting everyone post attacks by a specific deadline. Perhaps a concession to those who are not always active would be to consider all attacks as occurring during the same time. If there are multiple attacks on a particular city, the winner would be the highest attacking roll, or a tie-break in case of ties.

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:34 AM #16 of 19
For the second point, there's no easy answer other than to cancel turns and letting everyone post attacks by a specific deadline. Perhaps a concession to those who are not always active would be to consider all attacks as occurring during the same time. If there are multiple attacks on a particular city, the winner would be the highest attacking roll, or a tie-break in case of ties.
One sure-fire way to prevent everyone ganging up on a player (at least at the beginning) is to go with Dullenplain's rule of only attacking adjacent territories. As much as I like being able to attack whatever I want, that would even things out, and everyone's territory is spread out right now.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:44 PM Local time: Feb 24, 2009, 11:44 AM #17 of 19
I didn't realize just how different this game seems to be from actual risk... since when can you attack anywhere you want? I clearly need to go and read the rules over again...

Jam it back in, in the dark.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:49 PM #18 of 19
It's quite different. I just use the name Risk because that's what it most closely resembles. The wiki makes it sound more complicated than it really is, but definitely read up on it. I'll lay out the exact rules in the first post of the game thread, and unless your turn comes up first, you'll be able to see how some of the others play.

Most amazing jew boots
Plarom

I'm too busy being delicious.

Member 216

Level 27.89

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:23 AM #19 of 19
A year and a half? My God. I will be brown.

Connecticut, New Jersey, and Nevada!

Observant Provisions | [adult swim]
"Dude, this is gonna.. Man, this is gonna wicked, like, really hurt."
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Pang's Violence Basement > GFF Risk 9 Signups