Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] House Season Three

Dan
Carob Nut

Member 2147

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:40 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2006, 11:40 PM #1 of 50
House Season Three

The third season premier is a week away so I figured I start this thread and see if anyone else is anticipated the premier. As is standard practice in these types of threads please be considerate to others and post anything regarding an episode that has not been aired or anything seen only in previews inside of spoiler tags.

Ok I really looking forward to this season.
Let starts the discussion were seasons 2 ended. many complained at the end of seasons 2 that the last scene with House being wheeled in to surgery and saying he wants ketamine was not very climatic or much of a cliffhanger. I disagree the entire episode was about the inner working of House mind and the last line shows us something we rarely see in house, hope. The ketamine represent healing, a desire to be normal again. If House were truly as attached to his own misery as Cuddy Wilson and other have lead us to believe their was enough in his hallucination to convince him to give up on trying to feel happiness again. By asking for the ketamine his is risking everything he is cling to for a chance to be whole again. Personally I think that was much better way to end the season then the “was it or wasn’t it a hallucinations” ending most people I know seemed to want.

I just hope they don’t continue the whole “sex kills” theme from seasons two, good episodes but the theme got kind of repetitive- sex is risky we get it already.

Stuff in preview:
Spoiler:
House will be back “but not how you think” which means:
A) Scary FOX announcer guy is doing the typical let us over hype everything routine. “This week's House was the most shocking ever but next week’s will shock you even more, that is until the week after that which is even more shocking. That is till you see them in reruns when somehow they’ll be even more shocking then the original broadcast!”
B) Cuddy gave the ketamine and House is suffering from black out (which much like foremen’s brain damage will heal within however much time passes between two episodes.
C) House’s leg get worse and he has to do Physical Therapy which case their will be one more person for house to drive insane.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
coolego1
Wark!

Member 790

Level 3.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:39 PM #2 of 50
I cannot wait for season 3! When does it start?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 06:36 PM #3 of 50
Originally Posted by coolego1
I cannot wait for season 3! When does it start?
Try actually reading the first post.

Anyhow, my friend has been telling me to watch House for a while. I'm interested, but unsure. How does it compare to Grey's Anatomy?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Dan
Carob Nut

Member 2147

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 07:52 PM Local time: Aug 25, 2006, 08:52 PM #4 of 50
I’ve never seen Grey's Anatomy so I can’t compare, all I known is that there seems to be a general consensus that the medicine on House is the more accurate of the two. That is also the opinion of the doctor that runs the following site: http://politedissent.com/ If look on the right you’ll see he writes up weekly reviews of how accurate or inaccurate the medicine was on House that week: (BTW he mostly does medical reviews of comics so if anyone is interested in that take a look, it is an interesting read). Of course this accurate description doesn’t included medical ethics; I assume your friend already informed that House approach to medicine is very much “ends justify the means” the means very often being highly unethical, illegal or likely to get any doctor in the real world fired. You definitely have to be able to suspend your disbelief in that regard as well be able to appreciate a character study of a sarcastic, bitter, misanthrope in order to enjoy the show

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:54 PM Local time: Aug 25, 2006, 11:54 PM #5 of 50
I caught Grey's Anatomy for the first time the past two weeks and believe me I've tried but it just didn't do anything for me. Some episode about a WWII bazooka replica that two idiots created in which one of the guys actually shot themselves. It was a bit far fetched so I'll pass on the show, it was a 2-part episode so before I get flamed here just remember I gave that show 2 hours. :doh:
As for season 3, those commercials really did spoil of what to expect in the upcoming season. If you look carefully, you can catch glimpses of House... I won't reveal any more than that. Currently I'm too exhausted to use spoiler tags. I'll catch what I can but I usually end up relying on the DVD release seeing as how classes tend to breathe down my neck. Just tune in on 9/5.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dan
Carob Nut

Member 2147

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2006, 09:54 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2006, 10:54 PM #6 of 50
Tomorrows night is the premier unfortunately I had to fish out the VCR from the garage,(I know, I know get with times) since I have class till 9:30 tomorrow but anyway anyone else catch the latest preview, for tomorrows episode:

Spoiler:
It shows house not just walking, but all out running, I believe it was 8 miles that he said!. This better just be the hallucination part two other wise we have a pre-nom for House’s jumping the shark moment. House disability is far more then just chronic pain; it comes from the muscles having died on account of his infraction. Part of his thigh muscles were surgically removed and judging from the one good look we got of the scar on his leg there is little doubt that it was a significant chuck that was removed. Stopping the pain may help him work easier but he shouldn’t be running a marathon. For now I’m just working off the assumption that this is a continuation of the hallucination he was having in the season 2 finale. I have heard rumors the Hugh Laurie was having back problems from pretending to have a limp for show many hours, but even if this is true completely throwing medical accuracy (along with suspension of disbelief) out the window is a drastic accommodation.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:02 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2006, 08:02 PM #7 of 50
I only started watching House during this summer with repeats on Fox and USA, and I absolutely love it. With the exception of 24, it is probably my favorite television show. I've been waiting to see a good deal on either season of the DVD to get them (I've seen several season 1 and about half of season 2).

I'm extremely excited. I really enjoyed the end of last season, both with House's story and the 2-hour Foreman episode a couple of weeks before it.

Plus that Dr. Cameron is smokin' hot.

FELIPE NO
and Brandy does her best to understand
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 01:43 AM Local time: Sep 5, 2006, 11:43 PM #8 of 50
Premiere ep tonight was sweet. I'll discuss more once someone else indicates they actually watched it. :P

Now all they need to do is re-release the Season 1 DVDs with a decent fucking transfer. I swear to God if the Season 2 box set is another non-anamorphic wank job, I'm going to go to Fox headquarters and bonk some heads together. Incompetents.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.
Dan
Carob Nut

Member 2147

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:04 AM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 11:04 AM #9 of 50
The premier overall was one of two things: a really good episode that is setting us up for a twist or a bad episode and an insult to everyone who has watched the show from the beginning.

Here is the thing I can’t get passed House’s leg magically healing, yes Ketamine (sp) is being used experimentally for chronic pain, but again House’s leg is not just in pain it missing major muscles tissues, Ketamine won’t re-grow muscles. The lack of pain may be able to help him walk better, without a cane even but there is no way he would be able to run 8 miles, do all those skate board tricks, and especially not two months out of treatment. Heck how many of you can run 8 miles to work (and presumably 8 back) walk around all day (taking ,sometimes running, up the stairs some times running away from your colleges) and do board trick in your free time.

Which part of the reason I’m not conceived this is not just a continuation of House’s dream from no reason. Their where clear parallels between this episode and no reason, the mood was a toned down version of the surrealist feel no reason had, there are clear parallels between the patient of the week (hence forth POTW) and House.

While tongue guy represented a negative representation of House current state, wheel chair guy represented a overly optimistic view of how his life would be if his pain were gone. Disabled and cut off from the world then suddenly back to normal again. Remember his comment to the family about if he was trying to kill himself, there still had to be some part of him is still present in his mind, this applies to House himself he is reassuring himself that despite his self-destructive tendencies his true self is still alive somewhere inside him. The speeches by Wilson about meaning taking over molaritey (sp) role in No reason, Wilson having to explain why he is so serious. The many scenes that shot in a similar way: Cam stopping house, Cuddy crying in the hallway. Remember at the beginning when House walked in, and Cam told him that they never caught the guy, well wouldn't House know that? Why would she have to tell him? (plus is security that lacks at the hospital surely security if not a heroic bystander would have tackled the guy). The self conscious analyses of the show’s formula. The way the duckling behaved around House in general, ie The whole asking Cam out thing, it felt like how house would imagine Cam responding. Cam and foreman so explicitly stating why they are doctors, the duckling responses to the brain scan again sounded like what house would imagine things going down. House grappling with his fears regarding his identity, his addictions and his brilliance.

Now there are many other reasons the writers may have chosen these parallels and not many writers are willing to risk becoming the next Dallas by doing such an extended dream sequence, but I rather have the writers be doing an uber risky story arch then making the lead character into a running (literally) medical impossibility.

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 03:07 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 01:07 PM #10 of 50
Luckily, my view of the show isn't tied to being completely medically correct. If they're close, I'm happy. I don't watch for a lesson in healing people, I watch because it's an entertaining show.

Willing suspension of disbelief, it's a good thing to have.

How ya doing, buddy?
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 05:22 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 05:22 PM #11 of 50
The premiere was quite enjoyable. I like how they centred on how House has changed since the incident and how everyone refuses to believe he has changed in anyway.

Most amazing jew boots
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 07:51 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 08:51 PM #12 of 50
Question

Can you imagine if the writers pulled a Mario Bros. 2 ending, which in this case means the entire run of Season 3 is a dream.

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 08:38 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 08:38 PM #13 of 50
That would be messed up. And I would probably lose all faith in the show... Which would be pretty sad considering it is a great show.

Dan
Carob Nut

Member 2147

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 06:19 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 07:19 PM #14 of 50
Originally Posted by BlueMikey
Luckily, my view of the show isn't tied to being completely medically correct. If they're close, I'm happy. I don't watch for a lesson in healing people, I watch because it's an entertaining show.

Willing suspension of disbelief, it's a good thing to have.
I agree with that statement the problem is to me it not even close.

It breaks suspension of disbelief on every level:

1)From technical stand points: It just not medical accurate for House to be this physical active.

2)From a common sense stand point: you can not heal that which is not there.

3) From an internal consistency standpoint, this is a big one the show been on the air for two season at this point internal consistency is one of the most important things if not the most. Everything we have been told about House and his injury suggest that the amount of muscle removed was too extensive for House to ever be this physical active. Even then if the writers real wanted to do this there is always the stand by of reconing established cannon, but their was none of this no comment on the removable of muscle being less then we have been lead to believe no snaky comment about the scar being all and no bite, no talking of extensive PT, just a miraculous recovery with no attempt to rationally explain it. The treatment becomes pure Deus Ex Machina. Also while we are here the show has a “who done it formula” to extend the comparison house leg healing is like catching the evil bad guy sidekick (in house’s case the chronic pain) and declaring everything perfectly resolved while the real bad guy is at large (house's missing muscle).

4) From a cost/reward stand point. I see nothing in the plot of this season that requires House be a marathon man to work, the near death experience plus simple being physical normal (instead of superman) again would suffices for the arch they seem to be going for. The gossip is as I said above that HL was having back problem and need a break from the cane but again this doesn’t require House to go from being a cripple to a tri-athlete.

5) Conceptual accuracy: by which I mean the basic concept is correct on only the details are incorrect, timescale etc. i.e. wheelchair guy the concept is right medicine X fix condition Y away the patient to eventually walk again. Him get up immediately after the shot (timescale issue) is not possible. There is no conceptual accuracy house taking away house’s pain will not let him run that way ever, the equipment just isn’t there.

Add to this that because House is the focal point of the show and just not a single insulated moment, as say incorrect handling a needle would be, this magnificence how much suspension of disbeliefs is lost. There is a difference between suspending my disbelief and shutting off my brain entirely.

In short: House leg healing is not just inaccurate, if it were just that I may be more forgiving, it is inaccurate, inconsistent and unnecessary, a lot more difficult for me to look past.

Any since I’m posting anyway: I’m I the only one who hates Cameron new hair do?

CloudNine
#ABCDEF

Member 43

Level 18.48

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 06:49 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 06:49 PM #15 of 50
Originally Posted by Dan
Any since I’m posting anyway: I’m I the only one who hates Cameron new hair do?
Yes

character limit.

FELIPE NO
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 09:26 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 07:26 PM #16 of 50
Love Cameron's new hairdo. Reminds me of when Rory got her new 'do on Gilmore Girls, which was just as good a choice.

I dunno, man, if you wanna get all upset about somethings that may or may not turn out to be inaccurate in the end (dream sequence, or the part where we actually saw House in pain), that's your choice I guess. I'd rather the show be entertaining than a reflection of the latest issue of the New England Journal of Medicine. I found the character development to be quite interesting on that episode.

How ya doing, buddy?
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 08:30 PM #17 of 50
I'm liking the dream sequence theory now actually, after seeing the preview for this week's episode.

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2006, 07:52 PM Local time: Sep 14, 2006, 06:52 PM #18 of 50
Woo! The first couple episodes were quite good, don't you think?

I blasted out with a nuclear explosion laugh when Laurie said the phrase "smell what the Rock is cookin'"!! :biggrin: I think that I will have a hard time deciding whether Lost is the best show on television because of its solid cast and great writing/setting, or House because Hugh Laurie is such a genius.

Btw - he wrote a novel if you want to check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Seller-Hug...e=UTF8&s=books

Most amazing jew boots
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Dan
Carob Nut

Member 2147

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Sep 14, 2006, 11:47 PM #19 of 50
Now this is what I’m talking about!

Miracle-leg is gone. Yay! The writers remembered to take their realism pill before writing this episode. (For those who think I’m being to critical try replace removing thigh muscle with removing penis and running with having sex with a half dozen hookers and tell me it doesn’t sound ridiculous? Same basic concept). The only thing that bugged me was a couple of lines like your "muscle is going to atrophy again" Yes Cuddy the muscle he doesn’t have is going to atrophy again. Plus I’m no physical therapy but if House was using that leg as often as he said he was atrophy would not be my top concern. I’d say at 8+ miles a day he doing just find and this is just another example of how the whole leg thing was reduced not improving the drama in House. How exactly are we supposed to take that line seriously after seeing House in meaning?

Anyway I found this episode interesting in that it proved what I was thinking the whole time during meaning. House struggling to rehabiltate his leg is far more interesting then watching skateboard-House. Most people felt sorry for House not being to be a marathon runner anymore, I didn’t. The whole miracle-leg thing was too unrealistic, and overdone for me to take seriously but I enjoyed all the scenes with House on the tread mile and struggling with his leg this episode regardless. It was a realistic human struggle for recuperation we saw in those scenes and it should have been that way since the beginning. (and again meaning was meaningless this is good drama, the miracle cure was cheap and emotionally hollow).

Other things I liked:
They addresed Cuddy's desire to get pregnant and since House is “almost always eventually right” we can assume he is right. Anyone want to take early bets on watch she is going to have? I loved the banter in those scenes.
I liked the little bit with the now cured wheel chair guy in the clinic.
There were a lot a great lines this episode for some reason my favorite line was “she not nearly as delightful as she think she is” by Cuddy in regards to Cameron, don’t know why. Perhaps we can have a Cuddy Cameron catfight on the DVD releases (they already turned them into valley girls for season two’s).
Just an observations, the writers don’t seem to like Chase this season, he seems dorker (the your mommy line) and even more spineless then normal these two episodes.

After being disappointed with the premier I’m quite happy to see House is back on it legs (or should I say off its legs?).

Most amazing jew boots
CloudNine
#ABCDEF

Member 43

Level 18.48

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:50 PM Local time: Sep 14, 2006, 10:50 PM #20 of 50
Originally Posted by Dan
Yes Cuddy the muscle he doesn’t have is going to atrophy again.
You do know that his entire muscle isn't gone, right? The muscle that is still there can go into atrophy.

Would be kind of hard to stand up if there was no muscle, wouldn't it?

Dan
Carob Nut

Member 2147

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:35 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 12:35 AM #21 of 50
Quote:
You do know that his entire muscle isn't gone, right? The muscle that is still there can go into atrophy.
Yes, there was just something in the way Cuddy said the line that just made me think the writer were counting to ignore the missing muscle issue entire. Maybe I was overly harsh coming off the disappointing premier.

That why I also include that little rant on how at the level House was working the muscle not running one day isn’t this massive red flag Cuddy was making it out to be. If anything House is likely to be overtraining the muscle at that point. (He said 8 miles to work it implied he ran back as will that 16 miles, adding in time running around the hospital, doing skateboard trick at lunch and you get the idea.) Ya, I know it House and they were worried about his metal state, but it hard for me to get worried about house skipping his rehab when he is already in better shape then the majority of the country. That line would have worked so much better had the season started here and meaning never happened.

Anyway it was just a minor annoyance in other wise solid episode.

PS: Also I just realized something when I watched these the two episodes of House it has been the day after, right after coming home from my very intensive Medical Nutrition Therapy class perhaps that why the medical mistakes are bugging me more this season.

SonicPanda
You're lying, dammit! And I can prove it!

Member 5153

Level 23.81

Apr 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:23 AM #22 of 50
Well, there was that bit where Wilson sarcastically said something to Cuddy like, "Yeah, maybe that gaping hole in his leg actually hurts," so I wouldn't say they were glossing it over entirely.

Honestly though, this is another one of those micro-arcs they use to add color to the background of the Puzzle-of-the-Week. There haven't been any long-lasting effects from any of them (not even the one where they apparently screwed up Foreman's brain), so why would the writers start now? I don't mean that as pejoratively as it might sound, but I will admit my main interest in the show (aside from the endless zingers) lies in the puzzles themselves and those who are inflicted. They're almost always engaging.

DAMN good coffee!

September 2007: Waiting for Godot...
Dan
Carob Nut

Member 2147

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 09:33 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2006, 10:33 PM #23 of 50
I liked this episode while it suffered from some forced lines, the episode was an overall good analysis of this issue which not only managed to keep all the character in character but actually managed to have some genuinely interesting character development in the process. In particular Cameron being the one to euthanize the patient was something I didn’t expect from her. Some people hated Cam for being “wishy-washy” but I found it to be perfectly in character for her and I don’t mean that in a negative way, consider Cameron past it makes sense for her to be the most conflicted. Also speaking of Cam just poking around the net I’m surprised some people actually question wither or not it was Cam who did the deed I don’t see how there could be controversy over this, Cam -an atheist- was going seriously emotional in that chapel plus House doing something so out of character by gently touching her and saying he was proud of her? Seems obvious to me who did the deed.

Other notes House has taught us that you should never under estimate the power of red thong, but seriously not sure I like the writers doing a crazy psycho teenage stacker story line but we will see.

That my 2 cent deposit.

FELIPE NO
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:37 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 03:37 PM #24 of 50
What's up with this show, did it move to a different night? Last week it was some stupid sports thing all night on Fox, and now looking at the schedule it is another stupid sports thing. :aargh:

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:50 PM #25 of 50
I think that it's coming back at the end of October.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] House Season Three