Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Bootup hangs?

Oni
Wark!

Member 1651

Level 2.50

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 04:17 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:17 PM #1 of 5
Bootup hangs?

Hey people. I was wondering why my bootup process hangs when I turn on my comp, when it reaches the desktop it jus hangs for a minute or two. I know that windows XP has some sort of internet checker like every few seconds or somthin to make sure your connected to the net. Is there a way to disable it?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 04:38 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 04:38 PM #2 of 5
I'm not using XP, so I'm not sure how different it is than Win98, but have you tried runninig msconfig and disabling some items under the startup tab? This should prevent unwanted programs from running when you turn on your computer.

How ya doing, buddy?
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 05:21 PM #3 of 5
I once had this issue with Norton/Symantec Anti Virus; it added about 10 minutes to my total boot time. Of course, check msconfig to see what programs start at boot. (Perhaps you could take screenshots of the list to post here.)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:13 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:13 PM #4 of 5
msconfig is a nice way to un/check the start-up tasks, but you'd also want to run services.msc and see what is auto-starting as well and disable any of the ones you probably don't need. For desktops, there's usually several services you can disable.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:26 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:26 AM #5 of 5
Have you tried booting up in safe mode yet? Boot up in safe mode, wait a few minutes, turn it off, it should work then. For the simple reason your problem sounds kind of like what happened to my old Dell I had. It was running Windows 2k, though. But every time I turned it on it wouldn't to anything but stick there on the desktop and do nothing but load a few icons on the systems tray....

If that doesn't work then I don't know what to tell you .

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Bootup hangs?