Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Maximum number of USB ports?

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:18 AM Local time: Feb 7, 2007, 11:18 PM #1 of 6
Question Maximum number of USB ports?

Right now I'm having trouble on my RAM, I'm still using ACER travelmate 260, and it's hard to find cheap SDRAM these days. because of that I'm thinking on using flashdisk as virtual memory, but I'm a bit concern how many USB ports a computer can handle.

My laptop only has 2 USB 1.1 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports (via PCMCIA), I have plan to buy usb ports extension which virtually makes me have 5 USB 2.0 Ports and 2 USB 1.1 (7 totals). Is this safe for my computer? I heard that it is not recommended to add more than 6 ports in USB, so I'm really wondering if someone could confirm me about this.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:09 PM #2 of 6
It should be fine; the only worry I can think of is the devices being underpowered. I imagine power would not become an issue unless you were using all of the USB ports simultaneously--it shouldn't be a problem unless you need to plug in twelve cameras, three scanners and eight printers.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:43 PM Local time: Feb 8, 2007, 12:43 AM #3 of 6
Actually, I'm only using one USB 1.1 port to power the PCMCIA, and using the two USB 2.o ports for external HDD, printer and DVD-RW. Of course I dont use it simultaneously all the time, I only plug the HDD and DVD-RW when I need to burn though, is it still considered safe? Perhaps there will be times when I will use three ports in same time (for hardisk, dvd-rw, and usb flashdisk).

How ya doing, buddy?
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 02:26 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2007, 11:26 AM #4 of 6
As stated it should be a problem. The amount of USB devices allowed on a single port are limited by two factors: power and bandwidth. Devices use a different amount of power and bandwidth depending on what they are. In the case of power, if the hub itself is powered(you have to plug it into a wall outlet) then you can ignore this factor. Windows XP will let you know if you exceed either of these factors as you plug in devices. Either way, it is impossible to damage your computer by plugging in too many USB devices. Some of the USB devices will simply refuse to work if you exceed your system capacity.

Most amazing jew boots
Adol
Wind of the Plains.

Member 17840

Level 9.35

Jan 2007

Old Feb 7, 2007, 04:49 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2007, 04:49 PM #5 of 6
The only way that I can see you having a problem is if your external hard drive is one of those cute 2.5" ones that can run entirely from USB power. Those use a fairly large slice of the 2.5 watts that USB is rated to supply. Even then, I don't think you'd have trouble...i's pretty hard to overload USB unless you try pretty hard. I suppose that if you hooked up a couple of those nifty LiDE scanners and a few 2.5" hard drives up to one unpowered USB hub, you might have trouble, but that's not something that most people do, is it?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Tek2000
NOT AVAILABLE

Member 1641

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:28 PM #6 of 6
There are also externally-powered USB 2.0 hubs* out there. Use 'em to improve your expand** your USB experience*** up to 127**** devices.

Spoiler:

* In the case you can stand the cabling mess.
** With powered hubs, power wouldn't then be a factor. Bandwidth would.
*** Marketing speak, you know .
**** Nobody sane would plug such an overkill in the same bus.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Tek2000; Feb 7, 2007 at 07:31 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Maximum number of USB ports?