Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Hard drive formatting question

Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:29 AM #1 of 9
Hard drive formatting question

This week I'm heading to a friends house to format his PC and help with setting everything back up.

Now, the way the person who built his computer did it was, he put in two 80gb drives, but used Raid or something (not too sure) and combined them into one drive. I plan on writing 0's to the drive(s) then stick XP pro on it, so how would I go about doing it? format it normaly? Can I de-seperate the drive? Maybe unplug one and stick the other as Master? =/

Also, he wants to know if he'll lose HD load speed or something, I'd guess at saying he'll load thigns faster cause it wont have to go between two drives to do it, but you're the experts here.

So just as a reminder, 2 80gb drives merged into one, wanting to zero the drive before installing windows, how would I do it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 04:46 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 12:46 PM #2 of 9
try to use partition magic 8 is very cool,can do what you want.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by RYU; Mar 28, 2006 at 07:48 AM.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:03 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 11:03 AM #3 of 9
You can just format it normally, unless you're concerned about the data being recovered by the FBI. RAID is ususally faster than two separate drives, in my experience. I run a ~400GB RAID striped array, and it's pretty fast.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:34 AM #4 of 9
A raid array made of two drives doesn't seem like such a good idea to me... Unless the drives are in mirror configuration, losing half the space you'd otherwise have, you're essentially doubling your chances of drive failure, since one drive failing will prevent you from using the other.

Perhaps there's something I just didn't notice?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:55 AM #5 of 9
So it would be best to "un-raid" them and put that back to two seperate drives?

I was speaking idiomatically.

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:42 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 05:42 PM #6 of 9
Originally Posted by YeOldeButchere
A raid array made of two drives doesn't seem like such a good idea to me... Unless the drives are in mirror configuration, losing half the space you'd otherwise have, you're essentially doubling your chances of drive failure, since one drive failing will prevent you from using the other.

Perhaps there's something I just didn't notice?
Actually that's only as risky as using a single drive, the advantage is it's much faster and lumps the HDD space into one large 'drive'. If you use a single drive for all your important data, RAID 0 isn't any more dangerous than the common single drive setup (I know I was being redundant, but I wanted to drive my point in).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:50 PM #7 of 9
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
Actually that's only as risky as using a single drive, the advantage is it's much faster and lumps the HDD space into one large 'drive'. If you use a single drive for all your important data, RAID 0 isn't any more dangerous than the common single drive setup (I know I was being redundant, but I wanted to drive my point in).
While I am unsure of the performance benefits on either side of the argument, RAID-0 over two drives is a nice way to make sure that you don't have fault tolerancy. If one drive in the set dies, goodbye everything: any added speed is not worth the chance of losing everything in the event of a singly drive failure. (Unless, of course, that speed is enough to overcome all other transfer methods, which I doubt.)

FELIPE NO
Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:00 PM #8 of 9
Alright. Now that its settled, how would I go about un-raiding the drive?

His motherboard is http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...76&modelmenu=1

Would it be in the bios? Some other menu that you'd get into upon startup?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

xen0phobia
Chocobo

Member 503

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:19 PM #9 of 9
yeah there should be a bios option you need to turn off. Then you should be good to go.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Hard drive formatting question