Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Friend advice

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:53 AM #1 of 32
Friend advice

I have a friend, and I think her boyfriend is a mong. I tried telling her but they basically just started going out, so of course she didn't listen to me. I was hoping it'd be a quick thing but it isn't, they seem really serious. What should I tell her? Should I tell her anything?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:11 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 07:11 AM #2 of 32
Mongolian?
Mongrel?
Mongous cock?

Meet me halfway with the opinions, love.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:55 AM #3 of 32
I imagine she'll find out soon enough, regardless of what you say. Unless she sees something in the guy that is totally awesome and she's willing to overlook the mong bit for that awesome part.

In any case, I think she'll figure it out. And then you can waggle your finger in her face and say "nyah nyah told you so" <3

If she doesn't, suck it up and accept her as your friends anyways. Sometimes, people don't make the best decisions. Or sometimes, people just don't have the same desires and standards that you may hold for yourself.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by I poked it and it made a sad sound; Mar 31, 2008 at 09:58 AM.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:58 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 10:58 PM #4 of 32
Mongoloid perhaps. Someone with Down's Syndrome?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:36 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 04:36 PM #5 of 32
Mongoloid perhaps. Someone with Down's Syndrome?
Here in Britain, it is a general-purpose derrogation for people who seem to be of... "limited capacity", I suppose you'd say. It's not a nice term, but it passed into common usage. If she's using that term, you can assume the guy is extremely low in her estimation.

I don't know if Lurker is British, or if the usage is more widespread than I realised...

I wouldn't say a thing. If your friend is infatuated with this chap, she won't listen to you when you say something. She'll just be angry with you for insulting her boyfriend. The time to speak is when (and if...) she develops some doubts of her own.

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 02:29 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 01:29 PM #6 of 32
She's not a Brit, but she's pseudo-dating one. Which is probably where she picked up the vernacular. Ten points for using mong in a sentence.

Also, I'd tell her the bad vibe I was getting, but only once. Wouldn't make a big issue out of it.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:51 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 05:51 PM #7 of 32
Look, guys, there's no friend. She's talking about herself. Dump him already.

FELIPE NO
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:54 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 06:54 PM #8 of 32
Look, guys, there's no friend. She's talking about herself. Dump him already.
No, she said NEW boyfriend. Not 9 years of misery old boyfriend. Can't be her. Her boyfriend is a berke, absolutely, but this is clearly a different version of. Though she doesn't really have friends, which makes me dubious...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:56 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 05:56 PM #9 of 32
That part was obviously nothing more than a clever ruse, which fooled you like a chump.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:57 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 06:57 PM #10 of 32
That part was obviously nothing more than a clever ruse, which fooled you like a chump.
But if it's a ruse, and it's actually her, it makes no sense. Because everyone who knows her tells her to lose the 100-odd pounds of retard weight by dumping him. I mean really, the question makes no sense if you're right.

Most amazing jew boots

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:59 PM #11 of 32
I imagine she'll find out soon enough, regardless of what you say. Unless she sees something in the guy that is totally awesome and she's willing to overlook the mong bit for that awesome part.
I don't know, it just smacks of youth and willful ignorance. The first serious, like, serious relationship, you know? I mean I'm happy that she has someone but he's going to be an anchor on her, and I just can't stand to see someone like her get dragged down. I've seen shit like that happen before and although I wouldn't say it ruined any lives, it made them harder, certainly.

Plus, having him around makes her a complete drain. It seems like the only thing she can talk of is him, like she reidentified her entire self as being in terms of this guy.

edit: and no, god, it's not me you assholes. I don't need to ask advice for how to fuck up my own life, but I do need advice on how to keep a near and dear friend from fucking up hers when it barely started.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:59 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 05:59 PM #12 of 32
But if it's a ruse, and it's actually her, it makes no sense. Because everyone who knows her tells her to lose the 100-odd pounds of retard weight by dumping him. I mean really, the question makes no sense if you're right.

Ah, but then I would ask you, sir, when have you ever known women to make sense?

Q.E.D.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:00 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 07:00 PM 1 #13 of 32
Ah, but then I would ask you, sir, when have you ever known women to make sense?

Q.E.D.
Oooo. So you posit that the lady has, in point of fact, flipped her lid and gone full on cats and crochet crazy?

A valid possibility.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:16 PM 1 #14 of 32
I don't mind it when you guys make fun of me in threads where I'm whining, or in threads where I'm trying to stir up conversation, or even in threads where I just posted once with facts that weren't backed up by months of research and a bibliography, but seriously? I need help and I don't know where else to turn. I figure this place is a good spot since a lot of people here have been in my place before, or in my friend's place and can help me relate to that sort of feeling.

She's a very close friend to me, and although she's normally well balanced and level-headed, she went off on the deep end this time and I can't let that happen without a fight. You know how I am, I can barely stand hearing someone whining about their parents without giving my two cents. Saying nothing is simply out of the question.

Please, tone it the fuck down.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:35 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 07:35 PM #15 of 32
I don't mind it when you guys make fun of me in threads where I'm whining, or in threads where I'm trying to stir up conversation, or even in threads where I just posted once with facts that weren't backed up by months of research and a bibliography, but seriously? I need help and I don't know where else to turn. I figure this place is a good spot since a lot of people here have been in my place before, or in my friend's place and can help me relate to that sort of feeling.

She's a very close friend to me, and although she's normally well balanced and level-headed, she went off on the deep end this time and I can't let that happen without a fight. You know how I am, I can barely stand hearing someone whining about their parents without giving my two cents. Saying nothing is simply out of the question.

Please, tone it the fuck down.
Already said it. Voice your concern once, and that's it. If you continually harp at her, you're going to lose that fight. You know how retarded people are when they're "in love". You'll just form a nice tight little unit of them vs you. How dare you stand between the endless flame of their passions etc.

FELIPE NO

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:47 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 06:47 PM #16 of 32
Yeah, agreed. Like I said in chat, that's why I feel like I can't talk to my buddy about his girlfriend, 'cause he'll just tell us all to fuck off and that'll make it even harder to help him later. =/

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:14 PM #17 of 32
I actually understand this situation. A close friend of mine suffered from low self-esteem. He was seeing some cowish, manipulative, ill-mannered, lazy shrew and though she had the capacity to be cool at times, more often, she was an absolute bitch to everyone. Yet my friend thought she was fantastic - because he felt he'd never find any better.

It may not be the case that your friend has similar esteem issues, but the results are identical. We all told Rory that this girl was a drain. She controlled his every moment, wouldn't let him have any fun unless it was something she enjoyed too, and she encouraged his self-deprecating attitude by picking on him constantly. (She also got him hooked on WoW, for which I never, ever forgave her.)

Ever since 2001, my friends and I told Rory to drop her like a scalding rock. He refused. He wouldn't listen to arguments, insisted that we didn't know the "real Beth." What could we do? He believed he was happy, so that's kind of all there was to it. We voiced our sides and had to let him make his own choice.

Rory stuck it out with Beth for another six years(!). Last November, he finally decided enough abuse was enough and kicked her out of his apartment. It took long enough but the circumstances did force him to ultimately grow a set of balls and find some dignity. Ever since, he's felt worlds better about himself and is no longer accepting barrel-scrapings when it comes to women.

Like it or not, your friend might have to learn a hard lesson. People who get burned rarely make the same mistake twice. Help her up when she needs the assistance. Until then, keep on the sidelines with a first-aid kit handy.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:41 PM #18 of 32
I was hoping there was something else I could do. I feel a real kinship for her, almost like she's my own flesh and blood.. I don't want her to have to learn a lesson that so many other people demonstrated before her.

I guess there's not a lot I can do though. I can't believe it myself, but she went out and got married recently. It was basically like eloping. I can't believe she thought this out thoroughly, and I mean I thought about waiting a little while to see what happens and if it'll fall apart on its own, but I look at like needblood and shit and that's just not an acceptable answer.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:54 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 10:54 PM #19 of 32
I was hoping there was something else I could do. I feel a real kinship for her, almost like she's my own flesh and blood.. I don't want her to have to learn a lesson that so many other people demonstrated before her.

I guess there's not a lot I can do though. I can't believe it myself, but she went out and got married recently. It was basically like eloping. I can't believe she thought this out thoroughly, and I mean I thought about waiting a little while to see what happens and if it'll fall apart on its own, but I look at like needblood and shit and that's just not an acceptable answer.
Lurker, I don't mean to press. But you seem rather interested in this relationship. I mean, usually you're pretty removed from this sort of thing. Why the extreme interest here?

neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:02 AM #20 of 32
I hate people who give me advice and the insist like zealots that I follow it. Please don't be one of those people.
Let the girl do what she likes.

Last edited by neus; Apr 1, 2008 at 12:05 AM.
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:18 AM #21 of 32
Wait, she got MARRIED to him?

Either way, I had a very similar situation with my very best friend a little while back (and I actually posted here asking about it too). Known this girl since 3rd grade, been best friends and considered each other sisters since 6th... once college came around, she pulls an entire 180 on me. After a long series of cheating on her boyfriend, breaking up with him to date the guy she cheated with, that guy leaving her, fuck buddies and one night stands, she settled down with a guy who looks exactly like the boyfriend she fucked it up with (and the guy she cheated with). He's 10 years older than her, an absolute loser, and I quickly found out that there was only one thing I could do about it.

Absolutely nothing. It's heartbreaking, of course. But there will come a point where you finally think 'fuck this' and let it be. If she notices you pulling away, perhaps something will click (and if it does, you'll be luckier in your friendship than I have).

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:20 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 11:20 PM #22 of 32
I hate people who give me advice and the insist like zealots that I follow it. Please don't be one of those people.
Let the girl do what she likes.
Yeah, because doing things your way have lead to you being a happy, satisfied individual. Maybe you should have taken some of that advice there, shooter.

Most amazing jew boots

neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:34 AM #23 of 32
Yeah, because doing things your way have lead to you being a happy, satisfied individual. Maybe you should have taken some of that advice there, shooter.
I guess you're right. I'm too young to be giving advice on life.
What I've learned from school and hobbies is that the best way to really learn something is to mess up a lot of times and learn from that. I can't say how well that translates into real life stuff like this.

FELIPE NO
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:35 AM #24 of 32
Lurker, I don't mean to press. But you seem rather interested in this relationship. I mean, usually you're pretty removed from this sort of thing. Why the extreme interest here?
She's a person that I deeply respect and admire. I can honestly say that I never met anyone like her before, and I don't want to lose her so quickly. But her boyfriend is one of those people that just grate on me, not in the least because he's a major-league loser who still lives with his parents (even though he's married).

Additional Spam:
Wait, she got MARRIED to him?

Either way, I had a very similar situation with my very best friend a little while back (and I actually posted here asking about it too). Known this girl since 3rd grade, been best friends and considered each other sisters since 6th... once college came around, she pulls an entire 180 on me. After a long series of cheating on her boyfriend, breaking up with him to date the guy she cheated with, that guy leaving her, fuck buddies and one night stands, she settled down with a guy who looks exactly like the boyfriend she fucked it up with (and the guy she cheated with). He's 10 years older than her, an absolute loser, and I quickly found out that there was only one thing I could do about it.

Absolutely nothing. It's heartbreaking, of course. But there will come a point where you finally think 'fuck this' and let it be. If she notices you pulling away, perhaps something will click (and if it does, you'll be luckier in your friendship than I have).
I suppose that would be the best for my own mentality, since watching her throw her future away is just too much. Why don't people listen to the voice of experience? I mean, sure he's different than the assholes I've dealt with in the past, or assholes that you've dealt with, but that doesn't mean the law of averages won't bear out.

Anyway Temari I'm sorry to hear that about your friend. What sort of relationship were you able to retain? I won't say that I've known my friend for very long, only a few years, but still she's as dear to me as any. I'm just not prepared to walk away from her after such a short time together.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Sarag; Apr 1, 2008 at 08:41 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:05 AM #25 of 32
I was in the same boat as Temari. I had a best friend for 17 years, despite of all of her flaws, I loved her a lot. But... like her friend did, when she's going downhill, she's really going down. :\ Despite of everything I said or tried to do for her, she was going downhill on her own accord. Its very hard to see something precious go out of control and you have to let it go.

The issue here isn't really your friend, but can you let her go? I had a real bitch of a time doing this with my precious best friend. I was angry, I was depressed, I was going out of my mind running out of options to save her. (She was turning into a drunk, going to all of the wrong men, and etc.) But then at the end, I realized, should I stoop my life low enough for her to recognize my advice and be worth saving? That's when I let her go. Call me selfish, but I know when to say "when". I sometimes wish to know what the hell was she thinking. She's supposed to be my own best friend and yet I don't even know her that well.

While I'm sure this is an extreme case, but the advice still applies here. You can only do something about how you think for yourself, heeding advice here and there isn't going to help you or your friend to hear or understand better.

You do have my sincere sympathies for what happening to your friend. While you wish she deserves better, you should deserve a better friend.

(This is obviously an extreme example for a lighter situation, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt.)

Last edited by Philia; Apr 1, 2008 at 09:14 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Friend advice