Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Happy] Thanksgiving Day!

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 08:27 AM #1 of 4
[Happy] Thanksgiving Day!

I really hope I didn't miss any other threads on this. I checked a few sub-forums, and surprised I didn't see any threads.

First off, hope all of those celebrating Thanksgiving is having a good one!

How do you celebrate Thanksgiving? For me, it has changed drastically the last several years. Many years ago, my brother, I, my parents, and my grand parents from my mom's side (if they weren't going to spend Christmas day with my uncle and his children that year instead of us) would have Thanksgiving together. Generally, my younger years would be me playing games or with other things until it was time to eat. Then I'd have Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Rolls, Yam (although I didn't like it), and of course, Pumpkin Pie. Afterwards, we'd watch Home Alone (I or II, depending on which came on) as a family as that ALWAYS seemed to be THE holiday movie playing that evening, and it also got us psyched up for Christmas.

My college years were a bit different. MY grandparents were getting up in their years and hence couldn't really make the trip until they moved about thirty minutes away. However, while in the past they'd stay the night over, during the latter of my college years, they'd stay a few hours, then go back. Thanksgiving was also the only holiday during the semester that I'd really take a break (probably the only other exception is part of Easter), as I would take Thanksgiving day off from my studies to be with my family, and just relax, trying to ready myself for the last two to three weeks of classes, final projects, and final exams.

Now, it has changed again. The last three Thanksgivings I have not been able to celebrate it (as I am not currently in the States and it's not celebrated here). The first Thanksgiving wasn't so bad, but last two years have been harder. I would have a Thanksgiving meal with some very close friends whom is like family, which helped subside those feelings. We'd have some food that is similar to Thanksgiving food such as Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, and Pumpkin Pie, but never have had a Turkey due to them not being popular/difficult to find.

It has also been kinda awkward as I have had to work on Thanksgiving day (and tomorrow although that isn't so unusual) as I think back those in the States who are taking the day off, enjoying their Thanksgiving feast, yet while here it's just another day. Feels so odd, as I hear everyone talk about it back in the States, while here some people have not even heard of it. Yet, today's was also a bit different from the past two years, being the first I spent with my wife, whom bought some Western food to eat, which was a nice way to relax and enjoy the holiday.

NExt years might also be very different, as (if everything goes as hopefully planned) I, and my wife will spend Thanksgiving with my relatives in the States.

Wht about you all?

Most amazing jew boots
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 09:00 AM #2 of 4
I miss Thanksgiving with my small family, and I'm sure Jimmy does too. However, in the past 3 years since we're together, we really couldn't afford the trip to see either of them for the holidays.

Last year we didn't really do anything, maybe ate pasta or something. This year I know better than to fucking drive out there. Traffic is always insane on Black Friday, not so much on Thanksgiving day but not much are open besides completely packed parking lots of open grocery stores.

So to keep myself from driving in midst of that craziness, I already bought plenty of ingredients recently for an excellent thanksgiving dinner for two. Just for two of us. I'm pretty thankful for Jimmy and he's worth cooking for. I'm also thankful that we even have such mentioned prepared food (rolls for example) to buy. I'm thankful for it'll be a small meal and the leftovers will be had for tomorrow.

When it boils down to it though, I rather give up Thanksgiving to NOT have a damn black friday. We should be thankful everyday. Its hard to be thankful when everything is being served prepared or commercially. I can only imagine how hard it was back then to have ingredients and a meal for more than 2 people.

One thing for sure, I couldn't really... condone this holiday being celebrated for taking allies' food and their territory. I try to be... humble in this thought at least when I give my thanks.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Philia; Nov 22, 2007 at 09:03 AM.
LordsSword
Banned

Member 18063

Level 13.72

Jan 2007

Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:32 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2007, 11:32 AM #3 of 4
Usually the family thing but this year we visited a friend. I dislike getting together with my wifes family, they are harmless individually but mix them together and BOOM!

My family is just boring, now that they are old and worn out. We visit them more often on this holiday.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fire On Ice
Shockingly Sheepish

Member 428

Level 18.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2007, 01:34 PM #4 of 4
My family usually goes up to our cottage for the weekend of Thanksgiving because that's where all the branches of my mom's family join and coexist for a while. Usually it goes slightly more then a few hours, a full day if we're lucky, before both my aunt and my grandmother have had enough to drink and get into a fight with each other which results in a huge conflict until that actual dinner.

In the last few years as all of my siblings and cousins have been away at college or whatever so the gatherings have been getting smaller and smaller. The last year or so have been different ever since my uncle died and my aunt doesn't like being with all the memories so we've stayed in the city for the holiday. Aside from the people, we usually have both a Ham and Turkey because not everyone in our family likes one or the other but this year and last year we've just picked one and made it instead since making both for only 5 people would be a little bit excessive.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Baaah~

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > [Happy] Thanksgiving Day!