Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Avatar: The Last AirBender

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:58 PM #126 of 150
I thought it was nice and
Spoiler:
the way Aang took care of the Fire Lord was as expected. While it definitely had the satisfying aroma of closure, the fact that Ursa's whereabouts are still unknown and they just sort of left the Azula-BAWWW just hanging. Aside from that it was awesome.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Jul 19, 2008 at 10:00 PM.
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:25 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2008, 09:25 PM #127 of 150
I agree

Spoiler:
Azula's complete mental breakdown to nearly catatonic levels was just something else to watch.

Both fights gave me an eerie DBZ kind of feeling. (Without the 30 minute power-up)

The shippers are going to have an absolute field day with this one though.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 02:28 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2008, 12:28 AM #128 of 150
That was a pretty good finale.

Spoiler:
Best part was Azula's descent into madness. The way it was done was masterful, and that last scene of her chained up and breathing/sobbing fire everywhere was amazing. What an end.

Kind of a couple of loose holes, though. It seems they hinted very strongly at some kind of sequel/spinoff, but who knows? I hope they wrap everything up in the future. Doesn't seem like a kid's show should have big plot holes.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
dusk
with our faces pressed together

Member 7273

Level 7.53

May 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 02:43 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2008, 11:43 AM #129 of 150
Ahhhh... I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I kept on guessing how Aang was going to take care of the Firelord (or should I say Melon-lord? Loser-lord? Haha...) in the end, but when the moment came, my jaw dropped. Totally loved it.

Gripes: I think Ozai (Zuko's father, right?) should've had a, I dunno, better confinement then a simple cage in the Fire Nation Prison? I was thinking something along the lines of Magneto's prison in the X-Men movie. I KNOW Ozai doesn't have powers or anything to warrant a stronger cell, but I think he should've been put in something like MAXIMUM CONFINEMENT. He had the same-looking cell as Iroh, and I just think that Ozai might start training himself in the cell, and even possibly get his powers back? I dunno. Maybe it'll lead to Ozai's return!

I also thought the ending celebration should've been on a grander scale. Seemed like there should've been more people there representing the nations.

I hope they do some spin-off series. I can see Aang and Katara growing up, marrying, and training a new generation of air-benders to restore balance, perhaps? I can also see a spin-off series showing the nations in the future, attempting to live in harmony, but instead of one nation growing super-powerful and trying to take over the others, there will be a world war between all the nations. Perhaps even secondary bending powers coming to mainstream [metal bending, blood bending (oooo... the best one, I think), lightning/electricity bending?].

AH! Speaking of blood bending, I wish Katara used it more in the end. She used it in her 'revenge episode', which was cool, but I just wish I could've seen more of it, as it was my favorite bending technique.

Also...... I was under the impression that the last episodes they were showing were going to be a MOVIE, as the commercials were saying. I expected the animation to be better than the show for the finale, but it was just four episodes combined. No biggie, though.

Anywho, I just love how there are SO MANY possibilities with this show. I hope they don't end it here. Yeah, I know M. Night Shamyalalanaylanan is making a live-action movie, but I'm talking more canon, not a re-make. Though, I am kinda looking forward to the movie.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 03:06 PM #130 of 150
It wouldn't have made much sense if Katara had used blood bending more than the two times she did. The whole point was it's a terrible art that she didn't want to learn in the first place, hence why her using it without a second thought against the Southern Raiders' leader was significant.

Originally Posted by dusk
Also...... I was under the impression that the last episodes they were showing were going to be a MOVIE, as the commercials were saying. I expected the animation to be better than the show for the finale, but it was just four episodes combined. No biggie, though.
Nick advertised all the multi-part episodes as movies. At least this one was 2 hours long, so it did feel somewhat like a movie.

My only real problem with the finale was how all the secondary characters (Haru, Hokota, etc.) just sort of vanished between Boiling Rock and the epilogue. You'd think they would have tried to meet up again before the comet came.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:54 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 07:54 AM #131 of 150
Massive series of deus ex machinas notwithstanding, this has got to be the most epic series sendoff I've ever seen in a western animated cartoon - blows the JLU finale right out of the water.

Come to think of it, the finale was more satisfying than practically every anime finale I've ever seen too.

The music was especially great.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Last edited by Zergrinch; Jul 20, 2008 at 06:59 PM.
dusk
with our faces pressed together

Member 7273

Level 7.53

May 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:44 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2008, 04:44 PM #132 of 150
I kinda disliked how the other group of kids that were with Aang and the gang at the upside down temple just got tossed aside in a way, like there was no real point to them being around, really. I also didn't like how Katara and Soka's dad disappeared after The Boiling Rock, as well. They made an entire episode about finding him and breaking him out of prison, then he just disappears.

I just rewatched the finale, and also loved the music, especially during the Zuko vs. Azula fight. I loved how the music was louder than the fight itself. Beautiful.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by dusk; Jul 20, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 03:21 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 12:21 AM #133 of 150
Regarding the music, I made a livejournal post on some rips I did, and the composers themselves recently uploaded music from one of the scenes on their myspace too, which I also ripped.

Link here to see more info and download links.

avatar_fans: I ripped three music tracks from Sozin's Comet

The finale is epic.
Spoiler:
The Lion Turtle did feel a bit random, but they did some subtle hints to it's existence in various occasion, The Library episode and the fact Aang rams into a statue of it in every intro. The lack of explaination is probably cause it's some kind of great spirit that no one really knows much about, like some life's mystery. The previous Avatars seem to not know who that creature was either, which probably meant that he only shows up when the world or Avatar really needs him.

The Azula vs Zuko Agni Kai was awesome, and I really wanan see if I can rip the music out when I get the Season 3 boxset. If not, someone on myspace ask the Track Team to upload that music cue.

MySpace.com - The Track Team - Los Angeles, California - www.myspace.com/thetrackteammusicandsound

Zuko's apology scene has one of the most raw emotional acting I have ever heard, especially in an animated show. I hardly cry in TV shows, but I had tears in my eyes in that entire scene. The music helps too, which I did rip it from the Track Team's myspace. Go to the Livejournal link for it.

Azula's descent to madness is also excellant. The way she move her limbs and he expression was SO Light Yagami from Death Note, especially in the last episode of DN. The hair was also creepy, and her scene with Ursa's hallucination was sad and creepy.

The episode had a lot of throwbacks. Zuko attacking Aang felt like the old days, his war meeting flashback was nice and informative, him teaching Aang redirecting lightning is a nice throwback to his less with Iroh, and I love his feelings on his big moment in Invasion Part 2. Exilerating, but terrifying.

The humor was great too, LOVED how Bumi took his city all by himself, and Pakku becoming Katara and Sokka's Grandpa is lil surprising and funny. Oh and that Air vessal crew convo.

"The captain remembered my birthday! He really does care!"

Also, Mike and Byran, the creators, did an interview in the Sozin's Comet book that came out a while back. Here are the scans now that the finale is out. It answers a good number of lingering questions except for Iroh and Ursa.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15...interview1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15...interview2.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15...interview3.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15...interview4.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15...interview5.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15...interview6.jpg

They also did state they got more they wanna do with the Avatar universe, but said at this point its up to Nick to decide if they let them do it. So I wouldn't be surprised if Ursa and Iroh's backstory is gonna be saved up for a later project.

I was speaking idiomatically.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 09:57 AM #134 of 150
I Caught the avatar finale (which you know really isn't the end) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
They tried to play it off as a movie which was obviously four episodes back to back but it was cool that they did that. I don't know what else to say that everybody already mentioned.

Spoiler:
The sister goes crazy=awesome, although I would have liked to have seen some bit of closure between her and her brother since she was craving for some sort of love or companionship.
The guards at the ship were made too stupid for Nickelodeon fashion but whatever gets the job done.
and the fights were as awesome as ever since they used a lot of fluid movements in their styles that require a lot more than a straight punch.
And still I wasn't much interested in the avatar match nor his story since it's pretty much a one way road while Zuko leads him off to all sorts of directions.

I honestly haven't watched the avatar since around the halfway point of season 2 so when i saw the intro I was glad I saw Ang bald. I missed the whole thing with the hair, I even recognized all the characters so it felt like I didn't miss much, (don't know what that says about the story)
Overall i'm glad I caught the end and I'm kinda hoping that it stays the end but it looks a bit unlikely since they hinted that zuko will try to look for his mother and then Ang will find another reason to save someone somewhere and whatever.
If it does continue, the way I see it is that Zuko will become corrupted at some point because it isn't the avatar if there is no Zuko vs Ang

New Record!

Last edited by Shenlon; Jul 22, 2008 at 10:34 AM.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:15 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 11:15 PM #135 of 150
No, I must disagree. It does not feel like four episodes played back to back. It felt like a real movie. I wonder how much $$$ it would gross if that were the case

FELIPE NO
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:23 AM #136 of 150
No, I must disagree. It does not feel like four episodes played back to back. It felt like a real movie. I wonder how much $$$ it would gross if that were the case
really? even after the end of each half hour they played the title number and title of the episode?
Any cartoon can play off episodes for a movie as long as the plot stays in tact. Except for family guy since their episodes are just random clips played like no one gives a shit.

New Record!
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 09:44 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 06:44 PM #137 of 150
The title cards and stuff are needed so when it can be played seperatly during re runs, but from the pacing and writing stand point, I can see the intention was that all 4 episodes was INTENDED to be strung together like a movie.

Plus, the Track Team hired a real string orchestral specifically for these 4 episodes's music, obviously the finale was always planned as a 2 hour plus commecials movie.

I ripped several tracks from the Finale episode and the Track Team's My Space page.

Get them in the LJ posts I made.

http://community.livejournal.com/ava...s/2481297.html

http://community.livejournal.com/ava...38.html#cutid1

Last edited by Kairi Li; Jul 27, 2008 at 09:24 AM.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:31 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2008, 03:31 PM #138 of 150
Official The Last Airbender Casting call website!

The Last Airbender - How to apply

Any boy can apply as long as they fit the age requirement and have some level of experience in martial arts or gymnastics. Previous acting experience not required.

I hope the audition scripts were written purely for audition's sake. While they seem in tone with the character's personalities, alot of lines are inconsistent to the plot we saw in the series.

As for the other roles, someone from the avatar_fans LJ community has emailed them regarding the other roles. Apparently they will be auditioned live in person and actors/actresses will be auditioned through agencies. I know someone who works in the industry that has also confirmed this.

Only Aang so far is a public audition.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Kairi Li; Aug 7, 2008 at 06:42 PM.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:09 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2008, 11:09 AM #139 of 150
In light of the recent topic about Bebop's live action casting, I figure now is a good time to let people here know about Avatar's.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Avatar The Last Airbender: Avatar Casting Makes Fans See... White

There's a letter writing campaign going on from people who feel the movie is white washing, and personally I do feel the same. I was hoping Paramount will show a little diversity in its casting even if one of them has to be white (Aang most likely). Considering some of them are unknowns I don't see why they can't cast some Asian unknowns instead. Theres probably alot of Asian kids who are studying acting who would love to be in a film like this, but will never get to because companies don't think it can sell.

I don't have anything against the actors themselves, by the way, I just want some diversity since this show takes place in an Asian fantasy world where even the written language is Chinese. Having an all white cast is just wrong no matter how I see it.

And since there is so far no official statement from the creators of the show or even the director, I bet that this is all Paramount's decision and they can't say anything about it.

Saving the World with Postage

Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:25 PM #140 of 150
Oh man i just love how people are sending letters for this. From kids to parents, seems like there were a lot more avatar geeks than I thought.
I kinda have to agree with the controversy of the casting though, and I'm no big avatar fan. It's just that I'm getting sick of the one caucasian character being in a world where the culture has nothing to do with him and the reason for it is "so that the american audience can resemble to the character" (forbidden kingdom)
As Mooney once said in the chappelle show "I got an Idea for a movie. It's called "The Last Nigger on Earth", Starring Tom hanks"

New Record!
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:51 PM #141 of 150
While the casting choices are amusing judging by those pictures, it's hilarious that people are crying racism. The Water and Fire nations were pretty distinct in their races, but Air and Earth could be cast as caucasian just fine. You'd think the casting people would think 2 out of 4 was pretty good. It does kind of defeat the entire purpose of the show since the whole point was that the people were assembled from all over the world, but did anyone actually expect an M. Night Shyamalan movie to be good in the first place?

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 03:24 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2008, 12:24 PM #142 of 150
The only reason I had hope that it would be good is cause the creators of the show Mike and Bryan, are on board as writers , meaning Night can't do anything completly retarded. But theres no way they can stop Paramount's current "all white cast for money" mentality.

I don't see how Earth Kingdom folk can look white, especially if you look at the citizens and the Emperor himself. The only person that might look whitish is Toph. And none of the air nomads, except maybe Aang, look white to me. Can you picture for example, Christopher Lee as Monk Gyasto, Aang's deceased teacher?

Last edited by Kairi Li; Dec 22, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:00 PM #143 of 150
I had no idea who Christopher Lee was until a moment ago, and Count Dooku seems like a pretty random choice. No, I can't picture him being Aang's parental figure, but mostly because I can't stop thinking of him as Count Dooku now. I'm sure he could pull off the role just fine.

It isn't that Air and Earth were white in the show, because they weren't. It couldn't be clearer that their cultures are Buddhist monks and the Chinese respectively, but I'm saying that very few of them aside from the Earth King and other Ba Sing Se dignitaries really looked distinctly asian. For instance, I'm pretty confident that a white guy other than Count Dooku could pull off being the Boulder or any member of Jet's crew.

This was never an asian movie, and so it was a given from the start that at least some of the characters would be cast as whites in order to appeal to the broad audience watching the movie. It's a bit silly that they're all white, especially Zuko, but not totally unexpected either. These people are somehow shocked that Hollywood is doing what it always does: whatever they think will sell more tickets. Changes in race that don't directly screw up storylines (as in Zuko's case) are pretty small considering other changes they'll likely make.

FELIPE NO
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:02 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2008, 05:02 PM #144 of 150
Given that anime displays Japan's inherent desire to be white, I guess you can't fault angry asians for wanting to "take it back" or some shit. The dude that plays Goku in Dragon Ball movie probably should have just popped in when Goku goes Super Saiyan, just to be accurate.

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:08 PM #145 of 150
The kid who plays Goku in the Dragon Ball movie never should've gotten another role again after his dismal performance in The Invisible. Hoooly crap was he terrible, though so was the rest of the entire movie, to his credit.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:09 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2008, 05:09 PM #146 of 150
He doesn't qualify to be in something terrible because he was terrible?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:12 PM #147 of 150
More that The Invisible was bad enough that it should've permanently halted the careers of everyone involved.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:13 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2008, 05:13 PM #148 of 150
Nope, the CEOs know better.

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:14 PM #149 of 150
Damn those whiteys and their money-making ways!

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:13 PM Local time: Dec 23, 2008, 01:13 PM #150 of 150
On a lighter note, here's a new episode of the Avatar Puppet show.

YouTube Video

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Avatar: The Last AirBender