Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] These controls are not delicious. Those controls are not delicious.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 01:41 PM Local time: May 11, 2007, 11:41 AM #1 of 15
These controls are not delicious. Those controls are not delicious.

How long does it take you to remaster the controls for games you've previous played but have taken a long break from? For example, I've been playing quite a bit of RE4 for PS2 lately, but when I went back to working on God of War 1, I totally forgot there was a jump button.

Some games I can remaster the controls in a matter of seconds: Katamari, pretty much most RPGs as they are using maybe 2 different buttons: accept and cancel, but action games and FPS usually take me a few minutes to remember and get used to them again.

I learn button controls much faster for games I've never played rather than having to break old habits to relearn the controls of the game. The best thing I do is to maybe spend 4 or so minutes testing out all the buttons and what they do, then just proceed from there on, and hopefully don't panic when hordes of guys start attacking me.

So in essence:

1) Do you have difficulty remastering controls for primarily action games or FPS? RPGs don't take any time to remaster for most gamers I've seen, since you're really only pushing 1 or 2 buttons.

2) If possible, do you reconfigure your controller to mimic that of a previous but similar game genre you've played before?

3) What do you do to relearn the controls? Just continue playing or spend a few minutes to adjust what each button does again (most of the d-buttons are intuitive. You'll ALMOST always have most games using the d-pad for directions)?

PUSH DA BHUTAN!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 02:17 PM #2 of 15
RPGs don't take any time to remaster for most gamers I've seen, since you're really only pushing 1 or 2 button
Actually, the first thing that came to mind was Final Fantasy Tactics. It drives me nuts when I play that game, because "O" is confirm and "X" is cancel, meanwhile it's the exact opposite in most RPGs. Plus, most RPGs don't give you the option to remap buttons.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 03:34 PM #3 of 15
That's kind of the same problem I have when switching from one style of game to say an RPG, only usually when it comes to RPGs I'm more used to Circle being "confirm" and X "cancel" mainly due Final Fantasy and Japanese imports where Circle is generally confirm an action for most games.

Actually while on the subject and that last bit it reminds me of the US version of Devil May Cry. I decided to purchase it after owning and playing the Japanese version to death, and DMC3 was on the horizon, only to find to my horror that the controls were mapped completely different the Japanese version that couldn't be changed and essentially making it unplayable which is why to this day I've never finished the NA version.

Right now I'm having to adjust and get used to the controls of another game because I've switched from a beat 'em up called Yakuza to GUN which is an action title that utilised the second analog stick to aim when for Yakuza I didn't need to use it once.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 04:37 PM #4 of 15
Fighting games are the hardest to switch between. My friends and I played a lot of Virtua Fighter 4 when that came out. That game has three buttons, block, punch, and kick. I had never played a fighting game with a separate block button before, so I kept getting my ass kicked by everyone else, because I was hitting back to block, and not square. Then, when I finally had the hang of it (and was finally beating everyone else most of the time), someone threw in a Guilty Gear game. Those have five attack buttons, and use back to block. Of course, the first match, I'm eating every single hit, and I shout, "Oh god I'm still using square to block!" Those two fighting games are so totally different too, I don't know if I could ever get used to going back and forth between those.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
electric_eye
PIMPLE

Member 7372

Level 18.98

May 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 07:43 PM Local time: May 12, 2007, 01:43 AM #5 of 15
Man, I've been playing RE4 lately

1) I'm not too hot with FPS games, so it takes me a while to make the transition. I've been playing South Park on N64 (emu) lately as well and there's no sensitivity setting so that's balls, so I'm still pretty useless at that.

Despite 2) using a PS2 controller set up similar to Turok: Evolution which I finished weeks ago. I change if I can, though I had to adapt to Turok: Evolution because of the lack of settings.

3) I keep going, it's usually the analogue sensitivity I struggle with, buttons take about half an hour to settle in.

Oh yeah, troubles with switching between Suikoden and FF games.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Malahk Angel
Hooray Beer!

Member 9195

Level 8.84

Jun 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 01:00 PM #6 of 15
I'm usually able to get a good grasp of an old game pretty quickly. A good example is Tales of Symphonia. I played it pretty religiously about 2 years ago. Recently I started playing Tales of Phantasia and got back in the Tales mood so I whipped out the old GameCube, expecting the controls to be the same. Suffice it to say, I got my ass kicked royally. After about 20 minutes, though, I figured out the differences and got back on solid ground.

As for FPSs, many of the ones I play don't cater to Southpaw players (its kind of funny, I'm right handed, but I'll be damned if I can play an FPS without Southpaw), so when I pick them back up after playing a game that does, it takes a long time for me to get going again.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
If there is evil in this world, it lies within the hearts of mankind.

Last edited by Malahk Angel; May 12, 2007 at 01:02 PM.
chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 06:36 AM Local time: May 13, 2007, 10:36 PM #7 of 15
I recently started re-playing Zelda Twilight Princess, after some good ol' Prince of Persia: Rival Swords (for Wii). One awesome thing about PoP was the ability to turn the camera by tilting the Wiimote left or right. Because of this I instinctively kept tilting the Wiimote for Zelda while trying to get a Poe that required me to some jumping.

I fell to my doom.

For me, I just plough through whatever game I'm playing, even if I've gotten used to another game's controls. You just gotta adjust your mindset accordingly.

FELIPE NO
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 02:50 PM Local time: May 13, 2007, 01:50 PM #8 of 15
Usually if i've already played a game with a radically different control scheme (see Resident Evil, or Metroid Prime) i can just switch mindsets and go with it. The thing that really gets me is RPGs.

Many RPGs switch the Menu/Cancel buttons between Triangle and Circle. I usually have to try each button once to pull up the menu. It's because most RPGs fall into the same "mindset" i have, and i end up forgetting about those little changes.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Ashram
Syklis Green

Member 1056

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 04:25 AM Local time: May 15, 2007, 10:25 AM #9 of 15
I usually don't have any problems mastering controls for games, because I play a lot of rpg's on consoles and controls in those kind of games don't normally rely on quick reflexes. For the few action-games I play I also have no problem.

But there is 1 genre I just can't get used to playing with a controller: FPS-ers. I played Socom a few years ago and had surprisingly little difficulty to learn the controls. Also, playing Half Life on PC was no problem. But when I downloaded the Resistance-demo on the PS3 a few weeks ago, I just couldn't get used to playing with two analog-sticks. It's just way too difficult (for me) to react fast enough and not get shot.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 06:10 AM Local time: May 15, 2007, 01:10 PM #10 of 15
Right now I'm having incredible troubles getting the hang of the camera controls of Final Fantasy 12. Something went completely wrong there, and I just can't put my finger on what it is. I constantly keep turning the camera the wrong way.

Also, if I've played a game on the PS2 where the camera is controlled with the second analog stick, such as Shadow of the Colossus, it's hard to get used to God of War, since you roll with the second analog stick. So I'm rolling around a lot until I "snap back" to those controls.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 06:27 AM Local time: May 16, 2007, 12:27 AM #11 of 15
Actually, the first thing that came to mind was Final Fantasy Tactics. It drives me nuts when I play that game, because "O" is confirm and "X" is cancel, meanwhile it's the exact opposite in most RPGs. Plus, most RPGs don't give you the option to remap buttons.
I find this kinda annoying as well, mostly because in japanese and american games, O is confirm, and X is cancel. European games have X as confirm and O as cancel for some reason. I'm used to pressing X out of force of habit.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 08:17 PM #12 of 15
I always have problems adjusting to certain games that have 2 key buttons reversed. In the PSX and PS2 case, it's almost always X and O.

In most games X is confirm, and O is cancel, but every once in a while a game comes out that reverses that. If my mind serves me right, Metal Gear Solid games do that. It's no big deal really, but the first few hours you have to adjust to that, since you normally don't even think about what button to press for confirm and cancel.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 07:35 AM Local time: May 16, 2007, 01:35 PM #13 of 15
Right now I'm having incredible troubles getting the hang of the camera controls of Final Fantasy 12. Something went completely wrong there, and I just can't put my finger on what it is. I constantly keep turning the camera the wrong way.
It's because left and right pan go the opposite direction to every other game ever with right stick camera control, it really annoys me. It also pisses me off that there's no recentre button to snap the camera in behind you.

I found that after playing a lot of Battlefield 2 on the Xbox, I spent a lot of time reloading when I was trying to get into vehicles in Halo 2. I guess it's because you spend a lot more time getting in and out of vehicles in Battlefield that my brain takes that as the board button.

I also found it very hard playing the levels on 24 the game on PS2 where you have to reprogramme a computer or something by pressing the right button when a certain colour box is highlighted. The reason being, I think of PS controls in terms of the symbol, X, O etc, not the colour whereas on the Xbox you go by colour. Blue on the Xbox though is where Square is on the PS controller, but the X button is the blue one so every time it asked for X, I pressed square. For the harder levels I had to get my non-Xbox owning mate to do it for me...

I was speaking idiomatically.
Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 07:26 PM #14 of 15
I have this problem with every final fantasy I play. X brings the menu up, O is cancel, triangle talk... Skip to FF8. L1 brings the menu up, O makes Squall explode and die, square is the card command, triangle instantly erases your file.

Obviously this is an exaggeration, but holy shit if I didn't have a hard enough time adjusting to RPG handles.

Also, for games on simpler systems like the SNES.. It'd always fuck me up if I was playing a platformer game and B wasn't the standard action button.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] These controls are not delicious. Those controls are not delicious.