Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] DarkSiders - Is this Zelda? This is Zelda isn't it?

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:17 AM #1 of 9
DarkSiders - Is this Zelda? This is Zelda isn't it?

I've been waiting on this game for like 5 years. Even longer if you count Joe Mad's "DragonKind" which was scrapped for the ps2 back in 04 but announced way back in 02. Someone of you (my comic book niggas) here might be familiar with Joe Madureira, he's one of those comic book artists that got real popular around the late 90s. He did Battle Chasers which fans still hate for to this date for not finishing it and deciding to go into video garmins instead. He's creative director on this, did most of the art etc. Side note for all my beat em up fans, he also did the art for Gekido. He also used to do all those awesome PSM covers back in the day.

Synopsis:
Quote:
Coming in 2009, Darksiders is an original action/adventure RPG that will plunge players into a near future world that has been devastated by the Apocalypse. Separated from the other 3 Horsemen, War has been tricked by the forces of evil into bringing about a false Apocalypse.

Experience the supernatural destructive power of War and his fiery steed Ruin as he seeks revenge and redemption. Hunted by Heaven and hated by Hell, War must fight his way through a demon ravaged world to learn the truth behind the Apocalypse and restore the balance between good and evil.
Some badass trailers:
YouTube - Darksiders: Wrath of War Story Trailer HD Multi 1:22 of cine
Darksiders Video Game, Preview HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
Dev Walkthrough that kinda shows some puzzle elements early game:
YouTube - Darksiders - Developer Walkthrough, part 1 of 2

Eurogamer 8/10:
Quote:
It's the puzzle and exploration side of Darksiders that continually elevate it, however - in the exciting secret rooms that confer souls, maps, artefacts and components of the elusive Abyssal Armour; in the elaborate, dungeon-wide puzzles that draw from every extremity of your growing inventory of tools; and above all in the growing sense that if you're missing something then it must be right in front of you, and not something obtuse that you will resent when you eventually discover it.

The only slight criticism is that it's difficult to keep track of areas that you will need to return to with a new tool, and once the game is over your inability to quickly identify areas with secrets still to reveal may put you off the job of revisiting them for remaining treats - something that feels like a letdown in light of Arkham Asylum in particular.

Still, while on the surface of it Darksiders feels like a game with a lot of good ideas but only a few of its own, where even a brief flying section on an angelic mount owes rather a lot to Panzer Dragoon, overall the silly old story and wonderful art style give terrific heft to the universe, and the clockwork of the puzzles and game systems are precision-engineered in a manner that you come to trust implicitly. It may be a game of betrayal and redemption, but you won't feel hard done by if you choose to begin 2010 in its company.

8/10
GAME IS OUT TODAY! JANUARY 5TH!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:40 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2010, 06:40 PM #2 of 9
Sounds more like the first Blood Omen than Zelda.

God damn I love that game.

How ya doing, buddy?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2010, 01:32 PM #3 of 9
Interesting to hear that it's more like a Zelda with dungeons and puzzles, since I figured it was another DMC type of game from the commercials. Either way it looks really neat, and I may have to pick it up.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2010, 03:38 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2010, 02:38 PM #4 of 9
Any truth to the general consensus that the PS3 version has far less technical problems than that of the circlebox one? Digital Foundry hasn't done a comparison on this one yet, to my knowledge, and I'm just going off what I hear about on the internuts.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2010, 04:00 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2010, 02:00 PM #5 of 9
I love Joe Mad's huge hands and style. Too bad this game doesn't appeal to me at all.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2010, 04:18 PM #6 of 9
Any truth to the general consensus that the PS3 version has far less technical problems than that of the circlebox one? Digital Foundry hasn't done a comparison on this one yet, to my knowledge, and I'm just going off what I hear about on the internuts.

This seems to be true. I'd still wait though as someone from Vigial actually posts on gaf and said when they return to the studio this week, they'd be look into a patch for the 360 version. He said it was "feasable" work wise so we'll probably see that.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2010, 04:34 PM #7 of 9
Picked it up earlier today. Game is pretty fucking metal so far. True it plays like a God of War/DMC clone but I really enjoy the hack-n-slash aspect. My only beef at the moment is the camera can bite hard cause of constant moving it around trying to get a good angle to move around in.

I haven't played a whole hell of a lot of it, but I'm rather enjoying what I have. Plus Mark Hamill voicing in the game is win in itself.

FELIPE NO

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:46 AM Local time: Jan 15, 2010, 03:46 AM #8 of 9
Done and done. 21 hours in.

Spoiler:
Yeah, my avatar and the title are relative in-game. Abaddon the final enemy and all that.

Will play again in the future.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:45 PM #9 of 9
Glad a couple of you liked it. I beat awhile ago on apocalyptic but I'm about to go through again on normal to 1000/1000 it as soon as I'm done with Bayonetta.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] DarkSiders - Is this Zelda? This is Zelda isn't it?