Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 05:01 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 10:01 AM #326 of 1376
Dragonforce don't really sound much like Gamma Ray, King Diamond, Helloween etc... At all. If you ask me they just sound like watered-down Rhapsody (and Rhapsody aren't really that interesting to begin with), with very, VERY mainstream influences. Feh. One to avoid if you're planning on being some kind of power metal advocate - Listen to Blind Guardian instead, they're fucking amazing.

As for Bodom, yeah, power with growly vocals... I personally prefer Kalmah, but I guess CoB are alright.

On the subject of genre debates and all, what does everyone think of Orphaned Land? A friend sent me Mabool recently, and... I'm having a hard time deciding what to call it. Melodeath? Folk? Power/prog? Whatever it is, it's great.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:49 AM #327 of 1376
Dragonforce is ANYTHING but a watered-down rhapsody. They aren't even trying for the same sort of mechanics that Rhapsody has woven into their songs. If anything they are even more energetic than Rhapsody. Dragonforce is just all about playing fast & powerful with some rehashed lyrics they've had in 10 other songs. Rhapsody is more about sticking an actual story into their songs, and has plenty of slow, ponderous songs. Their more active, true power metal songs have a LOT of choral effects thrown in, and a completely different style of guitar solos...not really shredding in the strictest sense like Dragonforce likes to do.

I'd agree though that Dragonforce really doesn't fit in with the rest of that list.

I also want to second Blind Guardian . AMAZING band. Their covers of Beach Boys songs in the Forgotten Tales albums were hilarious. Their own works are of course incredible as well . The Bard's Song of course is a fav...I also like Bright Eyes a lot.

FELIPE NO

FGSFDS!!!
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:20 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 12:20 PM #328 of 1376
Their new single's damned impressive and reminds me a lot of Nightfall In Middle-Earth, but "And Then There Was Silence" is my favourite BG song of all time - Hell, maybe my favourite power metal song, full stop.

And yeah, they actually made "Surfin' USA" sound pretty damn rockable.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 09:20 AM #329 of 1376
Originally Posted by Krelian
Their new single's damned impressive and reminds me a lot of Nightfall In Middle-Earth, but "And Then There Was Silence" is my favourite BG song of all time - Hell, maybe my favourite power metal song, full stop.

And yeah, they actually made "Surfin' USA" sound pretty damn rockable.
I just checked that song out, brief sections of it, since I'm actually supposed to be at work right now...lol...its one I've had but haven't listened to yet, that's incredible. When I get home I'll listen to the song in its entireity.

EDIT-> Just realized what I said about Dragonforce sounds kind of negative, lol, but I like them just as much as I do Rhapsody. Just depends on what mood I'm in as to which sound I want to hear .

Jam it back in, in the dark.

FGSFDS!!!
CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:28 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 03:28 AM #330 of 1376
I never listened to Dragonforce, Krelian, i just heard my friends talk abou them.

Quote:
Listen to Blind Guardian instead, they're fucking amazing.
I'm REALLY wondering how come i forgot to mention them, i fucking SECOND, THIRD and FOURTH that ! Blind Gaurdian ARE amazing.

They just don't strike me as similar to Gamma Ray at all.

Quote:
As for Bodom, yeah, power with growly vocals... I personally prefer Kalmah, but I guess CoB are alright.
Glad more people know about the CoB thing. I agree if you like CoB then Kalmah's work is more melodic, but hey if you go that way then listen to Eternal Tears of Sorrow, that's kokko's old band. IIRC.
Alexi Laiho's the best though, that i'm sure of.

Listen to Silent Night, Bodom Night (Wait till the chorus), Wrath Within (The solo), Black Widow and Red Light in My Eyes pt 2.

Quote:
On the subject of genre debates and all, what does everyone think of Orphaned Land? A friend sent me Mabool recently, and... I'm having a hard time deciding what to call it. Melodeath? Folk? Power/prog? Whatever it is, it's great.
In a word : AMAZING. The band is fucking awesome. I have their full discography and man do they rock. I actually just finished a cover for their song Ocean Land, fucking sweet solo, to say the least. They're Oriental Death/Folk Metal, so yeah.

If you want my opinion, loose the genre classification, it's only a limitation. Most bands never really fit into their allotted (huh?) genres.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by CryHavoc; Jun 22, 2006 at 07:31 PM.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 08:40 PM #331 of 1376
*spits on Dragonforce* I really, really hate this band. For content-free mindless headbanging fluff, I'll take the first two Children of Bodom, thank you very much.

Orphaned Land is very boring. I don't mind Mabool when I hear it, but it's very forgettable.

For Gamma Ray fans, other than the obvious Helloween I'd recommend Stormwarrior. The 2002 s/t is very much Kai Hansen worship, in the Walls of Jericho vein. Hell, they even have a cover of Heavy Metal Is The Law that sounds just like the original. But despite being rather unoriginal, they are very, very competent and solid. I enjoy the s/t album very much, at least.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:00 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 01:00 PM #332 of 1376
I listened to Dragonforce once. I thought they were pretty crappy. But then I don't like power metal much (if at all), so I guess my opinion doesn't really matter anyway. I like Dark Moor quite a bit, though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
JesperStromblad
Brazilian Jespão Putão

Member 2465

Level 1.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 06:17 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 08:17 PM #333 of 1376
Dragonforce has all the clichés in Melodic Metal, I just liked them once, when they released Thie Valley Of The Damned DEMO as DragonHeart.... At that time I was a melodic metal die hard fan

I was speaking idiomatically.
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 06:23 PM #334 of 1376
I love Love Love Dragonforce and have seen them live numerous times. They aren't meant to be taken seriously and are just about having a good time and imo that is far better then all that cliche fantasy "epic" power metal crap, but then again alot of you take metal too seriously in the first place.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 06:26 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 05:26 PM #335 of 1376
Originally Posted by Iwata
I love Love Love Dragonforce and have seen them live numerous times. They aren't meant to be taken seriously and are just about having a good time and imo that is far better then all that cliche fantasy "epic" power metal crap
After reading this, I may have to check them out. I had pegged them as epic power metal crap after seeing an album cover of theirs. There are a lot of bands I enjoy based on the attitude of the band rather than the music.

FELIPE NO
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:25 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 10:25 PM #336 of 1376
I enjoy Dragonforce. I didn't like them at first as Dragonheart, I guess my taste in power metal hadn't developed yet. Besides, I can't stay hating a band that incorporates video game music into their songs. That's just fucking bad ass!

Check out 7th Son they're a new thrash style band and I know the bass player. Pretty bad ass stuff.

Star Man Aevum
DWN037

Member 1020

Level 8.68

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 02:39 AM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 12:39 AM #337 of 1376
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Glad more people know about the CoB thing. I agree if you like CoB then Kalmah's work is more melodic, but hey if you go that way then listen to Eternal Tears of Sorrow, that's kokko's old band. IIRC.
Alexi Laiho's the best though, that i'm sure of.
Go listen to "They Will Return" and think about bird hunting.

Most amazing jew boots
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 03:33 AM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 08:33 AM #338 of 1376
Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
I can't stay hating a band that incorporates video game music into their songs. That's just fucking bad ass!
http://machinaesupremacy.com/discography.html
Eat me. These guys did a twenty-five-minute metal medley of old NES and C64 tunes.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 04:04 AM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 03:04 AM #339 of 1376
Originally Posted by Krelian
I'm very fond of OP...but I go through phases when I'm in the mood for it. I think their blending of oriental/eastern instrumentation with various aspects of metal is amazing, and when I'm in the mood for them I'll listen to Mabool for days on end (whole album through...it works best as a unified album). Sometimes I'm not terribly fond of their keyboard usage, but then again, I've never been much on synth. Real strings = win, but too much synth and it sounds like so much cheesy 80s shit.

My cousins are so into Dragonforce, so I had to check them out... I think they're a decent power metal band, but pretty standard for the genre. Nothing has hit me as amazing or ridiculously amusing about them (other than being a headliner at Ozzfest), so they kind of sit there and don't do much for me. Not bad, but I'd rather listen to Luca Turilli/Rhapsody for that type of music.

A lot of you take metal too seriously in the first place.
TRUTH.

Xexxhoshi
ボクの彼氏はどこにいる?

Member 1523

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 06:12 AM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 12:12 PM #340 of 1376
I doubt anyone cares about this, but SikTh's new album is somewhat disappointing. >_>

XtremeDJW
Chocobo

Member 3625

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 07:43 AM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 12:43 PM #341 of 1376
I love Love Love Dragonforce and have seen them live numerous times. They aren't meant to be taken seriously and are just about having a good time and imo that is far better then all that cliche fantasy "epic" power metal crap, but then again alot of you take metal too seriously in the first place.
I thank you for making this post. Good to see someone taking Dragonforce as they are meant to be! A band that just wants to have a good time. When you see 'em live as well the fun times really show.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by XSO
I doubt anyone cares about this, but SikTh's new album is somewhat disappointing. >_>
I thought it was quite good myself, but then again I've only heard it through once.

Last edited by XtremeDJW; Jun 24, 2006 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:04 AM #342 of 1376
Same here with me & DragonForce. I listen to them when I'm not feeling up for anything serious, and I just want to have fun. When I just want sheer metal shredding.

They aren't very melodic though, I don't know where that came from =/.

If I want something epic, melodic, grand, etc, I'll bust out Rhapsody or some other band like that.

---------

As Dragonheart they weren't very good. I don't like their demo version of "Valley of the Damned." However "Valley of the Damned" when they turned into DragonForce is just sheer awesomeness, probably my favorite DragonForce song.

And I don't know how anybody could take these guys seriously with a name like DragonForce, lol. Or with songs with names like "Heart of a Dragon."

It's "just-for-fun" metal and I don't think there's enough bands like this in the metal scene.

FGSFDS!!!
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:25 AM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 12:25 AM #343 of 1376
Originally Posted by Morrigan
For Gamma Ray fans, other than the obvious Helloween I'd recommend Stormwarrior. The 2002 s/t is very much Kai Hansen worship, in the Walls of Jericho vein. Hell, they even have a cover of Heavy Metal Is The Law that sounds just like the original. But despite being rather unoriginal, they are very, very competent and solid. I enjoy the s/t album very much, at least.
OY! Now I have to find where I can get some Stormwarrior. Thanks for the recommendation, as always.

How ya doing, buddy?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:29 AM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 10:29 AM #344 of 1376
Originally Posted by DarkLink2135
]And I don't know how anybody could take these guys seriously with a name like DragonForce, lol. Or with songs with names like "Heart of a Dragon."
There are far more pathetic sounding bands out there that take them selves completely seriously. For example, half of all black metal outfits.

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 03:07 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 12:07 PM #345 of 1376
The whole Dragonforce conversation, I love the band. It might be mindless headbanging, but when you are in the mood to listen to something with high energy, they fit the mood perfectly and make ya go fucking insane when you have enough energy.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Take this keycard, you can unlock the doors in the hall with this. Now GO!...JUST go!
A hero that lived long enough to see himself become the villain.
Xanadu
Supermassive

Member 6969

Level 6.55

May 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 03:43 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 08:43 PM #346 of 1376
Quote:
On the subject of genre debates and all, what does everyone think of Orphaned Land?
Why, I'm glad you asked. Personally, I think that I feature in this video as the dude shaking Yossi's hand. (i.e., they fucking rock.)

Quote:
A friend sent me Mabool recently, and... I'm having a hard time deciding what to call it. Melodeath? Folk? Power/prog? Whatever it is, it's great.
Folk-prog metal, with death influences. Or so says metal-archives.

Most amazing jew boots
my generation's lost its patience playing with the world within
accelerated saturation out of our minds on saccharin
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 04:29 PM #347 of 1376
Originally Posted by DarkLink2135
Same here with me & DragonForce. I listen to them when I'm not feeling up for anything serious, and I just want to have fun. When I just want sheer metal shredding.
There are plenty of bands for that already, that do it in far less irritating ways than Dragonforce.

Quote:
If I want something epic, melodic, grand, etc, I'll bust out Rhapsody or some other band like that.
...Wha? Rahpsody is epic and grand? How about Bathory, Graveland or Moonsorrow?

Quote:
It's "just-for-fun" metal and I don't think there's enough bands like this in the metal scene.
Argh. I would say there are too many of them.

DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:36 PM #348 of 1376
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
There are far more pathetic sounding bands out there that take them selves completely seriously. For example, half of all black metal outfits.
QFT.

I stand corrected.

-----------------------------------------------

I don't find Dragonforce irritating at all, but now we are just down to personal opinion .

-----------------------------------------------

For a slightly different direction, let's talk about Thy Majestie. Anybody heard them? I don't know how it's possible for a band to have several really kick-ass songs, but have the absolute worst album arrangement I've ever heard in my life. I didn't know it was possible to go insane from a combination of boredom & confusion, but I did for a short while after listening to...well, any of their albums.

Or maybe Haggard. An absolutely amazing melodic death metal band based in Germany. Actually they are probably right on the fringes of what could be called metal. If you are an album listener, it's more like classical/medieval/choral/orchestral with metal thrown in for a VERY powerful effect at very appropriate places. At least with Eppur Si Muove. Their other two albums have a pretty different sound, Awaking the Centuries and Thou Shalt Trust...The Seer. Still a good sound, but I think Eppur Si Muove is loaded with the most energy.

Did they have any other albums? I've got 4 tracks I got from a friend that are EXTREMELY kick-ass, but they don't appear on any of those albums. I'll upload them if this isn't answered by the next time I have broadband access .

-------------------------------------------

Or for a completely different flavor yet, Apocalyptica. These guys are INSANE. Of course, being a cellist myself I'm extremely partial towards liking them, and appreciating the difficulty it takes to make metal music with cellos . And running around on stage, playing your cello at the same time . Most people know these guys for their "Plays Metallica By Four Cellos" album, but their original works are far, FAR, more amazing.

-------------------------------------------

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Morrigan
...Wha? Rahpsody is epic and grand? How about Bathory, Graveland or Moonsorrow?
I'll have to check these guys out....when I'm on broadband. Argh. The one thing I just really, REALLY hate about being at home. There is just so much I can't do .

Does pandora.com have them?

FGSFDS!!!

Last edited by DarkLink2135; Jun 24, 2006 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:36 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 12:36 PM #349 of 1376
I've been listening to this Dutch death metal band Phlebotomized a bit recently, and have been enjoying them quite a bit. Everyone seems to call them a "Christian band", but I dunno. I've read the lyrics and such and nothing seems to really, really support that. If anything, the lyrics are a bit... eh, how do I say it... "thoughtful"? Kinda abstract too maybe. Not sure. Or maybe I've just been missing the obvious all along? Who knows.

The music's pretty good though...

DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:01 AM #350 of 1376
I don't listen to a band for the message, whether or not I agree with it or no. If it's extremely offensive to my beliefs, maybe I won't, but it varies. Basically i listen to music just for the pure sound of it.

I generally just stay away from bands with any religious/political message to them, that's for other times in my life, not when I'm listening to something for pure and utter entertainment.

Illuminandi is pretty sweet, as is Parakletos. Both are tagged as christian, but they ain't in english so it may as well be pure satanic black metal for all I know.

FGSFDS!!!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)