Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

X Theme Weeks

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 10:38 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 10:38 PM #1 of 59
X Theme Weeks

I'm all for the fun weeks to change avatars and such for one another, but I'd agree now that beyond the confusion and work it takes to change user names, we should restrict these to just those details that can be changed by the user him/herself.

For such instances as my Werewolf Games, usernames are somewhat important. Thanksies!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 11:07 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 08:07 PM #2 of 59
Actually, I kind of agree here. After this week is over, let's try to keep the name changes to a minimum. It's really not necessary, and it just ends up confusing a lot of people.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 12:53 AM #3 of 59
Well, I like it. It'd be pretty hypocritical if I didn't, changing my name twice already.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 01:34 AM Local time: May 16, 2006, 12:34 AM #4 of 59
If some people want to have a little fun by changing their names, I don't mind them doing it. I mean, there's always a list around somewhere, and you usually get used to it in the short amount of time that it lasts. Granted, that doesn't mean I think we should go around and have one of these every week, but one every so often doesn't hurt.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 12:48 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 09:48 AM #5 of 59
I think Ace Combat Week is a creative use of name changes, but I still don't like them. It's too difficult to tell who is who, and I don't like having to constantly refer to a list of people. Even a_week was easier than this.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 01:12 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 12:12 PM #6 of 59
In Luke's case, the people playing should identify who they are in his thread after the name changes. It wouldn't take much for whoever's playing to say "Gee, I'm regularily Colonel Skills" or whoever the heck they are.

I, for one, like changing my name all the time and I get the admins to do it on a somewhat regular basis. I think it's silly not to allow it. It just takes a little bit of effort from the member who's name has been changed to inform everyone of who he is.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Tube
Modenator

Member 88

Level 16.94

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 03:40 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 02:40 PM #7 of 59
It's official, no more theme weeks.

FELIPE NO

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 04:00 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 03:00 PM #8 of 59
Originally Posted by GELB-1
In Luke's case, the people playing should identify who they are in his thread after the name changes. It wouldn't take much for whoever's playing to say "Gee, I'm regularily Colonel Skills" or whoever the heck they are.
We did actually, and Tritoch (SILBER-1) even compiled it into a list to make it even more easier for everybody.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 04:40 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 11:40 PM #9 of 59
Originally Posted by Tube
It's official, no more theme weeks.
Then MAESTRE CHEF week comes along ... osnap.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 04:42 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 02:42 PM #10 of 59
You could have all chosen callsign names that had to do with your actual name.

Like, tails could have been FURRY-1.

You know, to keep it as somewhat of a community themed event. =\

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 04:58 PM #11 of 59
If there had been a greater variety of names, perhaps Ace Combat Week would've been mildly tolerable. But when ALL the names are numeric iterations of the same four or five prefixes, it's too fucking confusing.

It's like having a dozen members all named "Sephiroth(insert stupid shit here)". Who can tell the difference? Who wants to?

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 05:42 PM #12 of 59
While I do agree that Ace Combat Week's names are pretty annoying, I generally don't care that much who made a post anyway. I'm too lazy to look in the thread most of the time, so I just say "meh" and move along.

Lukage doesn't really have much of an argument here for the Werewolf game though. Like SILBER-3 (RockgamerXIII) said, I compiled a list of every Ace Combat member playing Werewolf and posted it asking Lukage to place it in the first post for convenience (post #156, page 7). Despite it being directly above one of Lukage's own posts, he's never done this.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 06:33 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 06:33 PM #13 of 59
Originally Posted by SILBER-1
While I do agree that Ace Combat Week's names are pretty annoying, I generally don't care that much who made a post anyway. I'm too lazy to look in the thread most of the time, so I just say "meh" and move along.

Lukage doesn't really have much of an argument here for the Werewolf game though. Like SILBER-3 (RockgamerXIII) said, I compiled a list of every Ace Combat member playing Werewolf and posted it asking Lukage to place it in the first post for convenience (post #156, page 7). Despite it being directly above one of Lukage's own posts, he's never done this.
I was just using it as an example, but the confusion as a whole just doesn't seem to be worth it. I don't WANT to have to make an add-on that replaces every instance of SILBER-3 with RockgamerXIII

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 07:22 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 06:22 PM #14 of 59
Originally Posted by RR
Then it wouldn't have been AC0 week though. =o The entire point is our silly fandom of the game.

Luke, the 30 or so of us who went through the name changes seem to find it worth it. Since it's only for a week at a time and this sort of thing doesn't even happen very often, I fail to see what the big deal is. I had to look up some people for a_week too, but I'm not complaining. It's all in fun. At worst, it's a minor inconvience to some people and even then it shouldn't be much of a huge deal. New names are being recognized all the time when new people post or when someone changes their name in some other manner. I fail to see how this is any different.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 07:28 PM #15 of 59
Originally Posted by NERD-1

Like, tails could have been FURRY-1.

You know, to keep it as somewhat of a community themed event. =\
That would have been lame. It's ACE COMBAT WEEK not RANDOM GFF NONSENSE week.

People don't seem to realize we ALL took our callsigns out of the game. Schwarze Squadron really does have 8 members and so on.

And yeah, I personally like changing my name all the time. According to one of the mods I pretty much hold the GFF record for most user name changes, and I'm not stopping that any time soon.

I don't foresee there being tons of name change theme weeks in the future after this, so I think everyone who is complaining could at least try and grin and bear this for a few more days and then it's all over.

Bunch of fucking crybabies. >_O

Essentially, all I'm getting out of this thread is:

"Let's not let users on GFF have fun their way because I am a lazy bastard who dislikes a very, very irrelevant inconvenience."
"Hear hear!"

FELIPE NO

#654: Braixen

Last edited by Tails; May 16, 2006 at 07:32 PM.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 07:30 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 07:30 PM #16 of 59
I mean, I thought the a_ week was fun and all, but it was from the perspective of the person part of the fun and games. Not really a biggy as far as my NEEDS here (CHOCOPIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!), but just a suggestion.

Most amazing jew boots
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 07:34 PM #17 of 59
Originally Posted by Lukage
I mean, I thought the a_ week was fun and all, but it was from the perspective of the person part of the fun and games. Not really a biggy as far as my NEEDS here (CHOCOPIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!), but just a suggestion.
Your suggestion amounts to taking away the freedoms that make this place so fucking awesome.

With a_week most people DID have names that described or helped describe them and did stuff like put their names in custom titles/sigs and shit, so that can't even be used as en example.

With this week I liked the whole anonymity factor, and the rest of us agreed it'd be better to ditch it all for seven days and have some fun while we could as a collective unit.

Again, it's only seven days and we're already halfway through.

ADDITIONALLY: BLARING IRONY from Crash Landon who wanted to conduct his own week where he would give almost A HUNDRED (three times more than AC0 week, mind you) users random names. You should just delete your post now because you have no right to even complain on this basis. Even if the names would be more variable, keeping track of a hundred of them would be much harder than this.

Last edited by Tails; May 16, 2006 at 07:37 PM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 07:48 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 06:48 PM #18 of 59
I actually completely forgot about Crash's random name change week. That's a *really* good point.

On a side note, GELB-2 is coming off a tad hostile here but I can assure you he doesn't mean to sound like that. It's just that after we tried really hard to get sigs and avatars going for 30+ people and got an admin to go to the trouble of name changes for us, we get crapped on immediately by people when other weeks have been proposed that do similar things.

I guess when you don't enjoy the subject matter like some others do I guess you can not like it, but personally I don't have any trouble telilng the different people apart.

This is no different than the nick command in IRC, instead of a whois, check our profile or that master name list. You'll figure it out right away.

Why is this a big deal?

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 08:42 PM #19 of 59
The entire point is our silly fandom of the game.
Or in my case, following the bandwagon~

No, seriously, this is really irrelevant to just about everything. I personally don't even care that I don't know who half the people are. It's fun to me to talk to people with newfound anonymity.

(At least until they do a whois in IRC)

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 09:10 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 07:10 PM #20 of 59
Then it wouldn't have been AC0 week though. =o The entire point is our silly fandom of the game.
I just thought it would be a little more witty/community friendly to come up with your own squadron style names and group yourselves by interests or something instead of just seemingly random squadron names. It's not like it would have stopped you from using the group avatars/sigs. You know, something like that sephiroth week that happened forever ago. =/

Most amazing jew boots
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 09:32 PM #21 of 59
Originally Posted by GELB-2
ADDITIONALLY: BLARING IRONY from Crash Landon who wanted to conduct his own week where he would give almost A HUNDRED (three times more than AC0 week, mind you) users random names. You should just delete your post now because you have no right to even complain on this basis. Even if the names would be more variable, keeping track of a hundred of them would be much harder than this.
Point taken. However let me say this.

a_week and AC0 week are the largest group name-swaps we've had to date and the confusion each brought is evident. Although a_week allowed most people to give subtle cues to their identity, some altered name owners were still difficult to identify. I had no idea that Merv was a_cat_is_fine_too because I was away from home and simply didn't get the joke.

AC0 Week is twice the confusion of a_week since there's next to zero personal clues or variation on the names used. What's the point of even having a name if it's not unique and nobody knows who the fuck you are without checking some distant thread for the secret decoder ring that deciphers the code?

Let it be said that I'm now kind of glad that my mass-name change was never implemented. After the head scratching AC0 Week has caused me, I'm tempted to call for a moratorium on name changes for the next 6 months.

Of course, there was one key element to my name-change project that would've differed greatly from the current chaos:

IT WOULD'VE ONLY LASTED ONE WEEK.

You know, maybe this shit's why GFF is in a slump at the moment. Because nobody knows who the fuck they're talking to anymore!

Seriously. You all like Ace Combat. Your point is crystal clear. Go buy a lollipop, suck on it for a while as a reward, and put your names back to normal so the rest of us don't have to play guessing games.

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 09:40 PM #22 of 59
Originally Posted by Crash Landon
So did a_ week, and so will ACZ week (Ace Combat ERA is a joke, see.) But that isn't good enough for some people, a week is far too long!

That point doesn't work too well.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 10:17 PM #23 of 59
Originally Posted by Crash Landon
Point taken. However let me say this.

a_week and AC0 week are the largest group name-swaps we've had to date and the confusion each brought is evident. Although a_week allowed most people to give subtle cues to their identity, some altered name owners were still difficult to identify. I had no idea that Merv was a_cat_is_fine_too because I was away from home and simply didn't get the joke.

AC0 Week is twice the confusion of a_week since there's next to zero personal clues or variation on the names used. What's the point of even having a name if it's not unique and nobody knows who the fuck you are without checking some distant thread for the secret decoder ring that deciphers the code?

Let it be said that I'm now kind of glad that my mass-name change was never implemented. After the head scratching AC0 Week has caused me, I'm tempted to call for a moratorium on name changes for the next 6 months.
The whole point, as has been stated, was to show our love for Ace Combat and to have some fun with the anonymity and act together as a single unit. Shit, most of us have gotten beyond attaching names to posts and just take what's been said at face value rather than who's saying it (though I can't speak on behalf of GALM-2). Why can't you? It's only a week, pansy.

Quote:
Of course, there was one key element to my name-change project that would've differed greatly from the current chaos:

Wake up fuckhead, we may joke and call it Ace Combat ERA and all, but at the most these name changes will only last a week. There's no difference, so your point is moot.

Quote:
You know, maybe this shit's why GFF is in a slump at the moment. Because nobody knows who the fuck they're talking to anymore!

Seriously. You all like Ace Combat. Your point is crystal clear. Go buy a lollipop, suck on it for a while as a reward, and put your names back to normal so the rest of us don't have to play guessing games.
GFF is slow because everyone's too busy being assholes to one another to actually have fun like some of us are.

It's nice you approve of our love for Ace Combat, and I'll continue to show my love for it how I want to, and you can take your little ideas and suggestions about how we should go about it and what I should do here on GFF and shove it up your god damn ass.

Shit, we should keep the names longer than a week just to piss you bastards off.

FELIPE NO

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 10:31 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 09:31 PM #24 of 59
Yeah, what the rest of the squad said. The names will only be like this for another couple days, so it's not much longer that you're going to be inconvienced. You may be confused because we've had our avatars up for a little longer though.

Your other questions have been covered, I think. The point is because we like the game and because we feel like geeking out about it a bit. blah blah all that crap.

Blaming us for GFF's annual spring slump seems a tad harsh though Crash. ;_;

How ya doing, buddy?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 10:43 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 08:43 PM #25 of 59
Originally Posted by GELB-2
GFF is slow because everyone's too busy being assholes to one another to actually have fun like some of us are.

Shit, we should keep the names longer than a week just to piss you bastards off.
So, umm, lol?

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > X Theme Weeks