Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Final Fantasy XIV

Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:47 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2009, 08:47 PM #1 of 58
Final Fantasy XIV

FINAL FANTASY XIV

New info has come out from Famitsu and the Official FF14 site for NA, EU, and JP.

A run down can be found here: FFXIV Media Blitz! Famitsu, Dengeki & more! :: Final Fantasy XIV (FF14) at ZAM

Instead of Levels and Jobs, a new system will be used in FF14 called the Armoury System. Sounds a lot like FF9 if you ask me. Not sure how this is going to pan out, although being able to change your "job" at will by simply changing equip sounds nifty. I just worry that toward the end of the game, will everyone pretty much be gods with the best skills hand picked from every "job"?

Quote:
In Final Fantasy XIV, players will be able to change between jobs utilizing the Armoury System, wherein equipping different weapons and tools will instantly change your class. Classes will be organized into several "Disciplines," broader categories that contain multiple classes that appropriately represent your chosen path. There will be four disciplines, each with a number of classes, and a variety of skills for each class. The developers are still unsure whether players will be able to master every class, of if they will impose a "see-saw" effect, similar to crafting in Final Fantasy XI.

Instead of levels, a player's "main job" will be comprised of their highest level skills. The idea was for players to naturally define their own job, instead of the game locking them into a label. Even though there are named classes, anyone can change by swapping weapons, so there will be much more variety amongst players through the sets of skills they wish to focus upon.
So far it looks like the basic classes are Fighter, Sorcerer, Crafter, and Gatherers. I'm guessing your classic FF jobs will branch out from here. Equip a sword and become a fighter, and train up the skill given to you by that item. Then when you meet the requirements you equip a shield and become a paladin, or a pole arm and become a dragoon.

The races shown off so far are pretty much the same as in FFXI, with a few tweaks here and there. I'm not sure if this will be all the races, but I'm thinking it is. So those of us who were hoping for male "mithra" are out of luck. Though I am hearing rumors that Famitsu hinted that the devs were holding something back? Like they didnt want to announce everything about the races at once? So perhaps we will see something else.

There's still the debate over that "Gria" in the first picture shown off on the background of the old FF14 site.

The Taru of FF14, aka "Lalafell"

The humes of FF14, aka "Hyur"

The Elvaan of FF14, aka "Elezen"

The Galka of FF14, aka "Roegadyn"

The mithra of FF14, aka "Miqo'te"

Erm, so yeah. What do you guys think? So far it's looking to be much more laid back and casual than FF11 is. You should be able to accomplish a lot in small amounts of time, and since it's an open box like MMO you can do whatever you wish to advance.

I pretty much suck at this, I know, but there's more info in the links above.

Also do forgive me if this has been done already. I searched around and could not find anything on FF14..

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Stuff goes here~
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:57 PM #2 of 58
So let me get this right. It's Final Fantasy XI with fancy graphics, new names, and no experience points?

'Cause if that's the case, I'm gonna go hex-edit my FFXI and play FFXIV tomorrow.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:10 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2009, 09:10 PM #3 of 58
The marrige between the mmorpg and grinding is one born from hell, and their offspring, millions of empty-headed drones looking to xp some more. This I don't like.

I do like the idea of leveling up the gear, I suppose but that just means XP will be there, in the shadows, seducing you with a different name.

I also like the idea of a more casual experience, I was very much a casual player on FFXI and I had a butload of fun with it, aside from it's obvious flaws as a game. I enjoyed the mise en scene from that game as well and it's nice that they are bringing it back allowing folks from XI to ease right into it without too much fuss.

To say the least I am excited about it and all my old pals from XI are going to be playing it, but I still don't like tarus.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:13 PM Local time: Aug 20, 2009, 05:13 PM #4 of 58
New interview with Tanaka on FF14: Gamescom - Famitsu Interviews Hiromichi Tanaka :: Final Fantasy XIV (FF14) at ZAM

An older alpha build of the game was playable at gamescon in Germany. Lots of new info and gameplay vids are out now.

There wont be an auto attack like there is in FFXI. You have to choose your actions for every attack. Looks like the UI will be customizable and the macro bar at the bottom is giving me a WoW feel.

Quote:
Action Commands, as Tanaka calls them, are lined up along the bottom of the screen as icons. Those who are grumbling about a passing resemblance to World of Warcraft will be happy to know the layout is tentative and certainly subject to change. The current setup has players selecting an ability from the from the bottom which then appears as a command in your gauge. There are two gauges - one for the left hand and one for the right hand. For example, the character that Tanaka was controlling had a shield in his left hand, so the left-handed gauge had shield commands registered to it.

To activate an ability, the player needs to store up their "Action Gauge." The strength and accuracy of a technique can be further increased by storing up the "Power Gauge." The "TP Gauge" also makes a return, which when full will alter the effects of your technique in a variety of ways. The gauges will increase when the player attacks or is attacked by an enemy. During this explanation, Tanaka unleashes Red Lotus Blade with a grin, much to the delight of the interviewer, who immediately recognizes the sword technique.
Some videos:

Final Fantasy XIV Online Video Game, GC 09: Range Gameplay (Cam) HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
IGN: Final Fantasy XIV Online Trailer, Videos and Movies

One thing I am sad to hear is that pet jobs wont be making a return. I know SE fucked up the pet jobs in XI, but how can you have Final Fantasy without Summoners? I'm hoping it's going to be like XI and they will be introduced eventually..

Also, normal FF mobs make a comeback.

I'm still not happy with the whole one class and choosing abilities thing. I'm disappointed that they would go with this after stating they would use FFXI's job system and improve it. They pretty much just deserted it, not improved it. The graphics look very nice and the game play looks okay so far. I'll reserve the rest of my judgments until the open beta hits. It's still too early to spew criticism now with an old Alpha build that doesn't completely reflect what they have done so far.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Stuff goes here~
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:43 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2009, 11:43 AM #5 of 58
What the hell is with that Cactuar design?!

I don't mind Square-Enix trying new things, I guess...but messing with the classic designs so crudely?

Stay tuned for a new Moogle design: 10 feet tall, with pom-poms for feet and hands, and devil wings the size of bed sheets.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:17 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2010, 02:17 PM #6 of 58
Judging from this review it looks like it finally hit the fan over at ol' SE.

I'd actually be very happy to see them lose a ton of money on this, maybe then they might realize that impressive graphics and catering to fashion trends can only for so long mask generic stories and characters, insultingly bland gameplay and outright stupid design and marketing decisions.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:48 PM #7 of 58
I'm a big fan of FFXI, it was my first MMO and I still play occasionally, so you can say that I was super excited for FFXIV.

I got the collector edition and omg how can SE be so stupid...There's so much constraint that seriously it's not fun to play nor there's much to do...

I actually like the gameplay and the class system, but being force to level all of them and not just the one you like is really annoying for me.

It's their second MMO and it feel like their first and even worst than that. There's some feature that should have been implanted in the game that are just nowhere to be found (like the ability to sort your inventory, yep not even a manual sort...)

I can't see this MMO last as long as FFXI or if it does they pretty much have to change the whole system...

FELIPE NO
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:11 PM #8 of 58
The Gametrailers and Gamespot reviews are right in every way.

The game is simply not fun. It is a chore to accomplish anything. They have opted to get rid of much of the abstraction between game and reality. You want a spear? You've gotta craft every single part of it and then assemble it. Hope you don't fail!

Spoiler:
You will!

How ya doing, buddy?
Kalekkan
Chocobo

Member 697

Level 11.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:35 PM #9 of 58
I was excited about this game coming out, but last week I just found no interest in logging in anymore.

The game is missing basic core functionality as stated on the Gamespot review. SE is claiming to do something about the economic problems, yet it seems they still have no intention of introducing an Auction House.

I rolled a Conjurer and found myself massively frustrated in group situations, frequently having improper UI display of party member HP bars (makes healing really fun when you don't see health bars!)

Crafting isn't as painful as it was in FFXI to some extent. The game gives you the illusion of control of the situation and you have better control of skill-ups. If you break a synth, you lose everything.

Gathering was reasonably entertaining but there's no means to really distribute items. The bazaars and market system is not really friendly to buyers.

Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:03 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2010, 05:03 AM #10 of 58
It's their second MMO and it feel like their first and even worst than that. There's some feature that should have been implanted in the game that are just nowhere to be found (like the ability to sort your inventory, yep not even a manual sort...)

I can't see this MMO last as long as FFXI or if it does they pretty much have to change the whole system...
I've never played FFXI, but from the fact that it somehow managed to maintain its "still around, in spite of WoW" status over the years, I assume that it must have done quite a few things right. So how could this happen, especially with promising genre-entries like The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 on the horizon?

There might be quite the juicy inside story behind this ... which of course we will never know about, since extracting this sort of information from a Japanese developer is like asking a Sovjet era Kremlin to comment on the General Secretary's drinking habits.

VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:38 PM 1 #11 of 58
I've never played FFXI, but from the fact that it somehow managed to maintain its "still around, in spite of WoW" status over the years, I assume that it must have done quite a few things right.
Yeah, they named it "Final Fantasy" and put a roman numeral behind it. That's sadly enough for some people to pledge undying loyalty to a game.

DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:30 PM #12 of 58
We all know popularity doesn't always mean it's good. FFXI survived as long as it has simply because it is Final Fantasy. As someone who has played most the major MMOs that have been released since 99, I can honestly say Final Fantasy XI was worse then most of them. I only tried to stomach it as many times as I did because my friends played it and it was their first MMO because... guess why? It's Final Fantasy.

"Out thought and out fought."
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:03 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2010, 09:03 PM #13 of 58
Judging from this review it looks like it finally hit the fan over at ol' SE.

I'd actually be very happy to see them lose a ton of money on this, maybe then they might realize that impressive graphics and catering to fashion trends can only for so long mask generic stories and characters, insultingly bland gameplay and outright stupid design and marketing decisions.
Totally agree. I was really excited to play this game and make it my first MMO. But after reading all the horrible comments and reviews about this, I'll stay away.

Fkking square. 2 so-so MMO's in the main line of FF games... and I didn't even care to play either of them. What a waste. I just want Final Fantasy to improve or go away. FFXV better be something new and refreshing. FF13 was trash imo.

Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:45 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2010, 11:45 PM 3 #14 of 58
Totally agree. I was really excited to play this game and make it my first MMO. But after reading all the horrible comments and reviews about this, I'll stay away.

Fkking square. 2 so-so MMO's in the main line of FF games... and I didn't even care to play either of them. What a waste. I just want Final Fantasy to improve or go away. FFXV better be something new and refreshing. FF13 was trash imo.
If you love FF VIII, you have no right to express an opinion of videogames beyond the colours are pretty.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:48 AM #15 of 58
FFXV better be something new and refreshing. FF13 was trash imo.
I bet you get more balls in your mouth than Mr Bucket.

FINAL FANTASY. NEW. REFRESHING. SPONSORED BY CRYSTAL PEPSI.

FELIPE NO
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:44 AM #16 of 58
The last time I saw such an oddly-timed burn, I was visiting Waco.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:00 PM 1 #17 of 58
Oddly timed? OR BEST TIMED?

Most amazing jew boots
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:07 PM 1 #18 of 58
To be fair, Pang, I thought the Crystal Pepsi joke was clever seeing as Final Fantasy is all about the crystals.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:41 PM #19 of 58
YOU MEAN MATERIA, JESUS GET YOUR GAMES RIGHT

ALSO - BUSTER SWORDS

Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:29 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2010, 05:29 PM #20 of 58
Just stepping in here for a moment to make a snide comment about final fantasy series

I actually bought this. Lucky, I don't have to unsubscribe because they've decided to waive the subscription until it's a game. Haven't played in two months

pretty_thumbs
Wark!

Member 37201

Level 1.21

Feb 2011

Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:10 AM #21 of 58
Awesome I am a final fantasy fan especially the love story of FFX.. i really want to play this game

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:36 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2011, 01:36 AM #22 of 58
Awesome I am a final fantasy fan especially the love story of FFX.. i really want to play this game
This game is a MMO. No story to it at all.

To top it off, it blows.

Most amazing jew boots
pretty_thumbs
Wark!

Member 37201

Level 1.21

Feb 2011

Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:39 AM #23 of 58
This game is a MMO. No story to it at all.

To top it off, it blows.
i know final fantasy games never deceived us

FELIPE NO
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:42 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2011, 01:42 AM #24 of 58
Deceived us in regarding what, exactly?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
pretty_thumbs
Wark!

Member 37201

Level 1.21

Feb 2011

Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:48 AM #25 of 58
i mean all final fantasy games never fails us

Tags
i thought ur mad on me, sori to bother you tail

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Final Fantasy XIV