Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] What is your favourite classic game?

Overkill
Syklis Green

Member 1892

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:14 PM #26 of 41
Monkey Island. What can I say, it was a great adventure game. The humor, the puzzles, the branching dialogue system... All of these things made it cool. The insult-based swordplay was one of the greatest things ever. "You fight like a dairy farmer!" "How fitting, you fight like a cow!"

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:25 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 08:25 PM #27 of 41
When are PSX games going to be classic? It seems right now the line is drawn at 16bit games as the newest classic games (it's been that way for a while now).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rocca
is Finding Forever.

Member 609

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:43 PM #28 of 41
Super Metroid and Gunstar Heroes take the crown for favorite classics. I also have a soft spot for Duck Tales, Terranigma and Mega Man X. I have played those games altogether 150 to 200 times.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 08:47 PM #29 of 41
Originally Posted by Rocca
Super Metroid and Gunstar Heroes take the crown for favorite classics. I also have a soft spot for Duck Tales, Terranigma and Mega Man X. I have played those games altogether 150 to 200 times.
Ahh Gunstar hereos, the most SNES like game made for the Genesis. Too bad I never played it when I still only had a real Genesis.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:01 PM #30 of 41
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
the most SNES like game made for the Genesis.
What

Anyway, and I can't believe I forgot this, my favorite PC game of ALL TIME:

It had the first level editor I ever used, and was the simplest and most versatile ones I ever played with. Gameplay was simple, mostly platforming, But the levels you could create were limited by your imagination only. The original 100 levels could be made using the editor, which dosen't make them any more unique than a single custom level made by yourself. It's what got me appreciating level design for the first time. I must've made like 12,000 levels with this; some series, most standalone. It was fantastic.

Now the game is Freeware (YES!!!) but it won't work on my PC (slits wrists)

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:04 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:04 PM #31 of 41
Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
What

Anyway, and I can't believe I forgot this, my favorite PC game of ALL TIME:

It had the first level editor I ever used, and was the simplest and most versatile ones I ever played with. Gameplay was simple, mostly platforming, But the levels you could create were limited by your imagination only. The original 100 levels could be made using the editor, which dosen't make them any more unique than a single custom level made by yourself. It's what got me appreciating level design for the first time. I must've made like 12,000 levels with this; some series, most standalone. It was fantastic.

Now the game is Freeware (YES!!!) but it won't work on my PC (slits wrists)
I meant it has the feel of a Japanese SNES game.
I remember Jetpack, I have a disc with about 300 demos on it. They all run in DOS, so compatibility is spotty.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rocca
is Finding Forever.

Member 609

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:03 PM #32 of 41
Also mistakenly left out SkyBlazer and Super Castlevania IV. Now those were two underappreciated titles. Yes, even CIV.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:28 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 01:28 AM #33 of 41
NES

Good old SMB 1 &3 I hated 2.. ;_;
Just because it was the first game I ever played, and because it's so simple anyone can begin to play it.

Duckhunt yay!! :TPG:
It's just was pretty cool to have that red gun and blow up those poor duckies

Legend Of Zelda
Hey what can one say it's my first RPG-like game and I was hooked instantly.

SNES

Chrono Trigger
One of the best if not the best Rpg for the snes, i've played this so many times and it still is great.

FF6
My first FF and probable the best if I didn't like ff7 a bit more, but still very very good.

Secret of Mana
First 16bit rpg I played and it still goes strong even after all those years, I liked it's style and the music was really great.

PC

Jazz Jackrabbit
Hehe way cool platformer for the pc back in the day, wished there was a xp-compatible version of this game it was fun.

Duke3d
Most people will go for Doom but I'd rather "Chew bubblegum and kick some ass, and I'm all out of chewin' gum"

Anything adventure from Sierra
Hey those were some of the best adventures of the 90's I just can't choose one from them they were almost all pretty good.
Don't know if we can call PSX really classic yet...

Otherwise i'd have to call for FF7, how cliche it may be. :P

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Echolyn; Mar 6, 2006 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Mesa stupid, mesa forgot explaination :tpg:
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:27 PM #34 of 41
Mortal Kombat II, The day i learned Reptiles fatality where he eats your head...I was addicted. Raiden I & II is another classic of mine. I will never forget beating it in arcades and I had a grp of people around me cheering me on...another fond arcade moment as well.

How ya doing, buddy?
JasonTerminator
Sup staypuft.

Member 1276

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:46 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 05:46 PM #35 of 41
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is the game I consider to be the best ever, not just a classic game.

Quite simply, it's quest feels more epic than any other game, and it's world is so full of secrets and things to do that it's somewhat overwhelming at first.

I found it hard to like the original Zelda, since it just kind of threw you into the world and you wandered around from there, and it looked so barren compared to games like Mario and even Crystalis, a Zelda knockoff (Possibly my favorite NES game as well.)

It's probably nostalgia talking, however.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rin
o/'Totorototoro~o/'

Member 1917

Level 2.50

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:07 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 02:07 AM #36 of 41
Well there's really too many games to list... But heres a few.

Little Big Adventure - Because it was my first PC game. I had seen another person playing it before and was in awe of it at the time. Then got my first PC and this was the first game I played on it. It wasn't the easiest game for my first time on a keyboard game because it starts off with you trying to break out of prison with plenty of guards to keep throwing you back in your cell. I loved the world and its creatures, the music was fantastic.

Quality FMV games such as Black Dahlia and Gabriel Knight 2 were interesting. But the Tex Murphy series is my favourite by far. Mainly because of the amiable flawed main character with alot of wit and resourcefullness. The world again was fascinating and atmospheric. I highly reccomend these games if you haven't already tried them. The Pandora Directive is said to be the better of the series.
Check out this website too: http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/

Many Adventure games e.g. most of Sierra's line... I miss those days (Monkey Island series, Space Quest series, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist, Sam and Max, Leisure Suit Larry etc.)

As Echolyn said, if Final Fantasy 7 can be counted I would also highlight that one too. It was the first game I played on the Playstation and I guess I don't need to go into how much I enjoyed it since its obviously talked about enough already.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Megalith Beast
Kroaton Overlord

Member 1611

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:02 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 02:02 AM #37 of 41
For my favourite classic PC game I'll have to agree with Rin; Little Big Adventure was just awesome! I loved that game so much! The world was so immersive and the music was beautiful. It gave me a REAL sense of adventure. Brilliant.

Oh and for the Megadrive (Genesis), I think my favourite was Soliel (known as Crusader of Centy in the US!). This game was pretty much a Zelda rip-off I think, but, it was just, sooo nice! A really lovely world with a cute graphical style that kept me hooked. And I played it over and over again! It had some really nice tunes too.

Oh yeah, and sonic the Hedgehog makes an appearance! Wheeey!

Speaking of Sonic, I think that's one of my favourite classic games. Argh, there's just, too many to choose from!!

I was speaking idiomatically.
"HiiiisssssssssSSSSS" - Madagascan Hissing Cockroach
Drexlerfan22
Chrono Freak

Member 2116

Level 4.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:16 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:16 PM #38 of 41
X-Com: UFO Defense
Streets of Rage 2
Powerball

They're all #1 in my book, in different ways... X-Com is the best if you have like an entire week (or month) to dedicate to gaming, Streets of Rage 2 is the best if you have a whole afternoon/night, and Powerball is the best if you have 30 minutes or less.

Most amazing jew boots
Feel free to express your own WRONG opinion!
ava lilly
not a lily

Member 307

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:23 PM #39 of 41
anyone remember Lemmings for the PC? I loved that game. haven't played it in about 10 years, but I always enjoyed that one.

other good ol' favourites include The Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy I, and ofcourse the original Mario Brothers all on the NES.

I'd have to say Final Fantasy III for the SNES is my all time favourite though. don't give me that it's Final Fantasy VI shit either, it says FINAL FANTASY III on the label and I'm sticking to it. =p

FELIPE NO
WraithTwo
screw attack

Member 239

Level 16.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:20 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:20 PM #40 of 41
Super Metroid. Few games have EVER STARTED to ooze atmosphere quite like this game. Everything about it was perfect; the intro was superbly chilling, the storytelling in a game without narration was perfect, the fact that every room had something different from the last gave you a feeling that is hard to explain, and the creatures were interesting and often awe inspiring, and the soundtrack is among the best in games. No game has ever felt as "right" as Super Metroid, and it remains to this day my favorite game of all time.

- WraithTwo -

Most amazing jew boots
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:00 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 09:00 AM #41 of 41
Originally Posted by Megalith Beast
Oh and for the Megadrive (Genesis), I think my favourite was Soliel (known as Crusader of Centy in the US!). This game was pretty much a Zelda rip-off I think, but, it was just, sooo nice! A really lovely world with a cute graphical style that kept me hooked. And I played it over and over again! It had some really nice tunes too.

Oh yeah, and sonic the Hedgehog makes an appearance! Wheeey!

Speaking of Sonic, I think that's one of my favourite classic games. Argh, there's just, too many to choose from!!
Oh yea, that game is incredibly cool =D I love the music.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] What is your favourite classic game?