Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Leaving a laptop on most of the day

Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2010, 09:13 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2010, 07:13 PM #1 of 4
Leaving a laptop on most of the day

I have recently been leaving my laptop on for most of the day (usually from around 10:00 AM to 1:00 AM, and then I leave it on standby). I’m not constantly using it, though. I have it turn off the monitor after 15 minutes. I never do any resource-intensive tasks such as playing games, so I never hear the fan get really loud. I browse the internet, listen to music, and occasionally watch movies. I used to have it go on standby after 20 minutes of no use before I started keeping it on all day.

First, is it bad to leave your laptop on for most of the day? I know that PC’s have no problem with being left on all day (I left my PC on 24/7 and it never had any problems). Are laptops the same way? What kind of problems could occur and how long would it take for problems to start occurring?

Second, what would be worse, leaving it on for most of the day or letting it go on standby every time you won’t use it for 30 minutes to an hour?

Finally, I heard that you should clean out the dust from your laptop periodically. What is a good way to do this?

Thanks.

How ya doing, buddy?
gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:54 AM #2 of 4
I think the more you use the battery, the longevity of it will be decreased.
You should take the battery out and use the power source cable instead.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Thanks to Fjordor for the funny image!
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:07 AM Local time: Feb 11, 2010, 05:07 PM #3 of 4
If you're not doing anything on that laptop, then let it go on standby. You save on energy costs (not much, but they will add up) and lower the amount of wear and tear on your laptop's components.

Most amazing jew boots
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:39 AM Local time: Feb 11, 2010, 03:39 PM #4 of 4
Why can you not just turn it off when you're not using it? I can't imagine it takes that long to start up does it?

The more you leave anything with a battery on, especially if you leave it on charging, the less charge the battery will carry until eventually, it won't hold a charge at all. Not a problem if it's always plugged in but not much use if you want to move it away from a plug socket. Best practice with any rechargable battery type appliances (Mobile phones for example) is not to charge them until they run out, rather than leaving them plugged in constantly.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Leaving a laptop on most of the day