Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

You Can't Make This Shit Up

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:55 PM Local time: Oct 4, 2007, 10:55 PM #1 of 49
You Can't Make This Shit Up

YouTube Video
Veteran Removes Illegal Mexican Flag, May Be Charged
Quote:

A Veteran from Reno, Nev. has hit headlines after he took matters into his own hands yesterday and tore down a Mexican flag that was being illegally flown above a U.S. flag at a local business.

Local news station krnv News 4 had received calls yesterday afternoon from angry residents complaining about the Mexican flag. When the station sent a reporter to investigate the Veteran took the opportunity to make a statement in front of the cameras.

The man commented "I'm Jim Brossert and I took this flag down in honor of my country with a knife from the United States army. I'm a veteran, I am not going to see this done to my country. if they want to fight us, then they need to be men, and they need to come and fight us, but I want somebody to fight me for this flag. They're not going to get it back."

The hispanic store owner who witnessed the incident would not make comment on camera but told krnv over the phone that he was flying the flag as a mark of solidarity to the hispanic community. Pro-immigration protests have been ongoing in the area all weekend after raids were conducted by authorities in the area last week.

The store owner said he is an American citizen and did not know what he was doing was against the law. However, according to federal law it is illegal to fly any flag above the U.S. flag, and if flying more than one they must be on separate poles and be of an equal size.

The Reno police department has told krnv that Brossert will faces charges for theft if the store owner files a police report of what happened.
In fact, it's not illegal. Flag laws codify flag etiquette, but they can't be enforced without violating the Constitution, and don't even clarify penalties for violating the codes.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:02 AM #2 of 49
Quote:
In fact, it's not illegal. Flag laws codify flag etiquette, but they can't be enforced without violating the Constitution, and don't even clarify penalties for violating the codes.
Well, crap, Brady made the post I was going to make before I even read the thread.

I respect what the guy did and all, but unfortunately the law's not on his side for this one. Even if it WAS we have a system for justice, not vigilante justice.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 02:03 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 12:03 AM #3 of 49
Never actually read all the way through the flag code.

Quote:
#
# No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
But what other trunks could Rocky have worn?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 02:10 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 02:10 AM #4 of 49
Quote:
The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing.
You say pro choice, I say pro-flag burning.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Bradylama; Oct 5, 2007 at 02:18 AM.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 03:09 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 12:09 AM #5 of 49
I'll never understand why people make such a fuss over a piece of fabric.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 03:37 AM #6 of 49
Um, i'm for my country and all, but is it really that big of a deal? Nevermind the fact it is or isn't illegal, I just think it's pointless to get so angry over which flag is on top. Obviously, the person who had both flags loved America and his nationality, Mexico. He was giving props to both, but one dude gets personally hurt because the Mexican flag touches the sky higher than the American flag. I just...don't get it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Ballpark Frank
Regressing Since 1988

Member 3605

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 04:09 AM 1 #7 of 49
I'll never understand why people make such a fuss over a piece of fabric.
Originally Posted by Karasu
Um, i'm for my country and all, but is it really that big of a deal? Nevermind the fact it is or isn't illegal, I just think it's pointless to get so angry over which flag is on top. Obviously, the person who had both flags loved America and his nationality, Mexico. He was giving props to both, but one dude gets personally hurt because the Mexican flag touches the sky higher than the American flag. I just...don't get it.
This is why certain people abuse the term "unpatriotic." Now, notice, neither of you say you disagree with the view, you just say you don't understand it.

It's pretty simple. A country's flag represents said country, this is the reason flag-burning is such a strong form of protest, you're saying, "What this country is doing is so awful I'm going to let them up." If someone destroyed an object that held sentimental value for you with the knowledge that you held it in such high regard you would, doubtless, be upset.

Well, it is assumed that one's flag holds that kind of value for every citizen, and it's assumed by a great many more that such value is instilled in every generation.

I'm not commenting one way or another on what I think of this (or US Flag boxers), but you should at least understand how important the flag is to some people, and why they'll go to such lengths.

Johnny Cash's take.

FELIPE NO
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 04:21 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 01:21 AM #8 of 49
I misspoke. I completely understand the reason and sentimentality behind this, I just disagree with it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 04:26 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 05:26 PM #9 of 49
Quote:
However, according to federal law it is illegal to fly any flag above the U.S. flag, and if flying more than one they must be on separate poles and be of an equal size.
I'm glad Brady cleared up the law because I was about to ask how Olympic ceremonies in the US are meant to go if this was the case.

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 08:41 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 07:41 AM #10 of 49
Quote:
# No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
But what other trunks could Rocky have worn?
hottie in a stars and stripes bikini: patriotic
fat hairy dude in a stars and stripes speedo: arrested immediately

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:53 AM #11 of 49
hottie in a stars and stripes bikini: patriotic
fat hairy dude in a stars and stripes speedo: arrested immediately
Are you objecting to this? I didn't know you were gay russ.

Most amazing jew boots
Smelnick
Banned

Member 12225

Level 26.09

Sep 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:11 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 12:11 PM #12 of 49
Here in canada, we believe in equal rights. Noone would have gone tearing down another man's home flag. Actually, some wigger probably would just to be an ass. But otherwise, as patriotic as we are, we still respect other's lineage.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:43 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 10:43 AM 1 #13 of 49
I don't care if the owner isn't actually punishable, it's complete bullshit that he flew the Mexican flag above the American. Fly a home nation's flag below any other and you'll get this same reaction from somebody out there.

He needs to cough up the money for a second flagpole if he wants to show solidarity.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 01:12 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 01:12 PM 3 1 #14 of 49
Here in canada, we believe in equal rights.
HERE IN CANADA NOTHING BAD EVER HAPPENS, TODDLERS WALK THE STREETS FREELY AND THEY SHIT CANDY

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Smelnick
Banned

Member 12225

Level 26.09

Sep 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 01:16 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 01:16 PM #15 of 49
Pretty much.

FELIPE NO
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 02:15 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 01:15 PM #16 of 49
Are you objecting to this? I didn't know you were gay russ.
I am in no way, shape, or form objecting to my specific example.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 02:41 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 12:41 PM #17 of 49
He needs to cough up the money for a second flagpole if he wants to show solidarity.
Well you've already stated that you agree the owner isn't punishable by any law, so why exactly does he need to buy another flag pole?

Ballpark Frank
Regressing Since 1988

Member 3605

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 02:47 PM #18 of 49
Here in canada, we believe in equal rights. Noone would have gone tearing down another man's home flag. Actually, some wigger probably would just to be an ass. But otherwise, as patriotic as we are, we still respect other's lineage.
The fuck does this have to do with equal rights? Nobody saying he can't fly the Mexican flag. Nobody's saying he needs to GTFO&STFU. This isn't about his right to fly another nation's flag, it's about whether he should fly any flag above the Stars n' Bars.

Go look around Winnipeg and see how many flags are flying above the Maple Leaf, I doubt there are any.

Also, Canada is awesome, and even I shit candy when I was there.

Additional Spam:
Well you've already stated that you agree the owner isn't punishable by any law, so why exactly does he need to buy another flag pole?
I think he's merely stating his agreement with the posted flag ettiquete, and his belief that the owner of the liquor store should pony up the dough to pay the proper respect. Another addition: Canadian flag etiquette. I don't suppose anyone knows Mexico's national flag ettiquette?

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Ballpark Frank; Oct 5, 2007 at 02:57 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 03:42 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 01:42 PM #19 of 49
EDIT: Fresh Frank has the right idea about what I'm saying.

I don't agree that nothing can be done to him, since I don't know the laws applying to infractions against proper flag usage. All I'm saying there is "in the event that nothing can be done to him..."

It should also be a given that my comment is opinionated and the use of "need" shouldn't be seen as "need, because his life/livelihood is at stake". But then again, if he continues to fly it below the Mexican flag, I wouldn't be surprised if the place becomes a target for vandalism.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Oct 5, 2007 at 03:51 PM.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 04:30 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 04:30 PM #20 of 49
I think he's merely stating his agreement with the posted flag ettiquete, and his belief that the owner of the liquor store should pony up the dough to pay the proper respect.
Well, bottom line here, the vet both vandalized and stole the store owner's property. That store owner doesn't owe anybody jack squat.

Most amazing jew boots
Smelnick
Banned

Member 12225

Level 26.09

Sep 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 05:00 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 05:00 PM #21 of 49
Go look around Winnipeg and see how many flags are flying above the Maple Leaf, I doubt there are any.
Naw, I've seen other flags over the canadian flag all the time. Down in st boniface, the major french community in winnipeg here, you see the french flag over top the maple leaf all the time. I've never heard of anyone shitting bricks about it though. And there have been several other occasions where I've noticed another flag above the maple leaf on a pole.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 05:00 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 03:00 PM #22 of 49
Well, bottom line here, the vet both vandalized and stole the store owner's property. That store owner doesn't owe anybody jack squat.
He's not a goddamn hero for cutting the flag down and running with it, but what the owner did was ignorant, insulting and inflammatory. The vet's reaction, while not justified, is understandable.

How ya doing, buddy?
Ballpark Frank
Regressing Since 1988

Member 3605

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 05:36 PM #23 of 49
Didn't mean to imply he did, or what the veteren did was legal/right. Just trying to help clarify the Generic Badass's comments. :/

And Smelnick? Well.. hell. Just one more way y'all up north are different.

How ya doing, buddy?
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 06:27 PM 1 #24 of 49
I'd love to see the public reaction to someone hanging the Crescent and Star above the Stars and Stripes. To show solidarity with peaceful muslims of course.

To capo's comment. I'm pretty sure that flying the mexican flag above our own was disrespectful. I'm also pretty sure that eroding people's respect for their nation is not conducive to its survival.

What I also don't understand is why he chose the mexican flag as the particular medium for showing his solidarity with mexican immigrants. I mean, aren't they here to ultimately be a part of the U.S.? I mean, they all left Mexico. Why use that as the foundation of their unity, and then place it over their desired destination?

I'm more inclined to think he wanted to be an ass.

Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 06:35 PM #25 of 49
Quote:
I'm also pretty sure that eroding people's respect for their nation is not conducive to its survival.
Oh PLEASE.

We invade another soverign nation on evidence we knew before the fact was false? Oops.
We abuse people's fear to take away the very liberties that are supposed to be the source of our greatness? Oh well, can't let those towelheads nuke my farm!
We violate decades of policy and countless international laws by torturing and holding indefinitely without charge prisoners both foreign and domestic? Lalala, I can't hear you.

But heaven forbid someone fly a piece of cloth above another piece of cloth. That erodes my respect for this nation!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > You Can't Make This Shit Up