Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] 300

Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2007, 09:11 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2007, 12:11 AM #26 of 184
Tacky photography, tacky wardrobe, tacky sets, tacky screenplay, tacky bronze g-string.

Yeah; epic.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
The Furious One
Good Chocobo

Member 8296

Level 16.17

Jun 2006

Old Jan 15, 2007, 01:10 PM Local time: Jan 15, 2007, 06:10 PM #27 of 184
what how the hell is it tacky!?!

The whole feel, and imagery screams quality!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Xbox360 Desktop Wallpapers | My DeviantART | XboxLive Gamertag: Don Barracuda

Last edited by The Furious One; Jan 15, 2007 at 01:14 PM.
JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2007, 02:38 PM #28 of 184
I think it looks pretty good. I'll have to check it out once it hits the theatres.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2007, 02:51 PM Local time: Jan 15, 2007, 12:51 PM #29 of 184
Tacky photography, tacky wardrobe, tacky sets, tacky screenplay, tacky bronze g-string.

That's what I thought too, but I'm not a fan of green screen stuff. I'll still probably see it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2007, 04:43 PM #30 of 184
I saw previews over the weekend. I was pretty horrified. It's all campy and gay. I mean, I'd always thought the Battle at Thermopylae was this heroic sacrifice on the part of the Spartans to save Greece from the Persian horde. These same people are now going to be led by what appeared to be a greased up Orlando Bloom in a leather thong. I just can't reconcile the two.

Most amazing jew boots
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:23 PM #31 of 184
I saw previews over the weekend. I was pretty horrified. It's all campy and gay. I mean, I'd always thought the Battle at Thermopylae was this heroic sacrifice on the part of the Spartans to save Greece from the Persian horde. These same people are now going to be led by what appeared to be a greased up Orlando Bloom in a leather thong. I just can't reconcile the two.
Go watch Spartacus, and leave the campy bad ass movies to people who don't get misty during 8th grade world history.

FELIPE NO
Lalala
astro lady

Member 6122

Level 6.82

May 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 01:11 PM #32 of 184
I think the Cinematography looks pretty cool. Err the acting looks over dramatic though so I'm not sure. I hope it's good and it doesn't turn out like most of those movies that are cool to look at but once you get down to the acting and everything else, it falls flat.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
IdentikitOfEyes
Banned

Member 13258

Level 9.89

Sep 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 01:38 PM #33 of 184
I like how people are saying that this is going to be tacky when it has been rated as one of the best things about "The Grudge 2" (which is when the trailer first hit theaters)

I really love how people are saying that this is going to be tacky, yet it is shot in the same style as Sin City with color.

Quote:
Award winning photography that was used in Sin City
Nearly historically accurate Spartan clothing for that era
Because pillars and mountain cliffs are tacky. Good Job nature, now do it right
Screenplay based off of an award winning graphic novel. Awards suck.
Because armor doesn't weigh anyone down and fighting is a fashion statement.

Main Entry: 2tacky
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): tackiĀ·er; -est
Etymology: tacky a low-class person
1 a : characterized by lack of good breeding <couldn't run around downtown...in a bikini, which was tacky -- Cyra McFadden> b : SHABBY, SEEDY <a tacky town whose citrus groves were blighted by smoke -- Bryce Nelson>
2 : not having or exhibiting good taste: as a : marked by lack of style : DOWDY b : marked by cheap showiness : GAUDY <a tacky publicity stunt> <a tacky outfit>

How ya doing, buddy?
Amayirot Akago
WRYYYYYYYYY!!

Member 12969

Level 21.07

Sep 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 03:08 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2007, 09:08 PM #34 of 184
Your post reminds me of this:

Anyhow, looking forward to this movie

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 03:32 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2007, 08:32 PM #35 of 184
The Spartans were also known for having a culture of rampant homosexuality and the common practice of pederasty. Maybe they thought having nearly naked soldiers was hot.

deadsky
Thrasher

Member 18159

Level 8.46

Jan 2007

Old Jan 17, 2007, 03:40 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2007, 08:40 PM #36 of 184
I like how people are saying that this is going to be tacky when it has been rated as one of the best things about "The Grudge 2" (which is when the trailer first hit theaters)

I really love how people are saying that this is going to be tacky, yet it is shot in the same style as Sin City with color.

1 a : characterized by lack of good breeding <couldn't run around downtown...in a bikini, which was tacky -- Cyra McFadden> b : SHABBY, SEEDY <a tacky town whose citrus groves were blighted by smoke -- Bryce Nelson>
2 : not having or exhibiting good taste: as a : marked by lack of style : DOWDY b : marked by cheap showiness : GAUDY <a tacky publicity stunt> <a tacky outfit>
Couldn't of put it any clearer man, bring on the 30th of March (UK)

Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 03:48 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2007, 08:48 PM #37 of 184
It looks OK, but I really dislike the false colour effects; it's overdone and looks like it is trying too hard to be "cool". Something that looks so obviously manipulated takes away the impact that an appearance of reality would lend it.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 04:55 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2007, 02:55 PM #38 of 184
The Spartans have also the sense of community.

At least I can fuck his wife if my wife cannot make children.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:30 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2007, 10:30 PM #39 of 184
You people make life difficult. (: *merges threads*

FELIPE NO
el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 02:14 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2007, 04:14 AM #40 of 184
What if you thought Sin City's style was a gimmick designed to coverup plot, character, and direction flaws in the movie? I certainly hope this movie will be good, but the trailer doesn't give me a whole lot of hope (though in its defense it doesn't seem like a very well thought out trailer, and that is not the fault of the movie itself).

Most amazing jew boots
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 02:40 PM Local time: Jan 18, 2007, 02:40 PM #41 of 184
The Spartans were also known for having a culture of rampant homosexuality and the common practice of pederasty. Maybe they thought having nearly naked soldiers was hot.
You're thinking of the Athenians. Spartans performed wife swapping and female bisexuality.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartan_Pederasty
Though Plato in his Laws implies otherwise, blaming the Spartans for their custom of males taking sexual pleasure with other males παρὰ φύσιν "beyond nature"[12], many ancient writers held that Spartan pederasty was chaste, though still erotic. Lycurgus decreed that if someone, being himself an honest man, admired a boy's soul and tried to make of him an ideal friend without reproach and to associate with him, he approved, and believed in the excellence of this kind of training. But if it was clear that the attraction lay in the boy's outward beauty, he banned the connection as an abomination; and thus he mandated that "boy lovers should keep their hands off boys just as parents do not lay hands on their own children." This system, implies Xenophon, produces the most modest, trustworthy and self-controlled men in all of Greece. [13]

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Django
FantƓmas

Member 4583

Level 3.31

Apr 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 05:29 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2007, 12:29 AM #42 of 184
I'm really looking forward to this one. I haven't read the comic book (maybe someday) but I'm sure that I'll go to the cinema and not download it from the net. Even if it means waiting 'extra' 3 months...

How ya doing, buddy?
I got one entire song from fortune cookies. On another one, I took words from different Frank Sinatra songs and pasted them together. Another one, I was just driving around and there was a piece of paper on the ground, so I stole it.
Mike Patton
Last.fm
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:21 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2007, 01:21 AM #43 of 184
Bloody Plato; what a git *rolls eyes*. Just about everything i've seen on the Spartans (including supposedly well-researched documentaries) makes the claim that they would take young boys under their wing for a bit of slap and tickle, but that it was seen as perverse to screw around with them unless they were preteens. Ah well, wife-swapping sounds fun.

IdentikitOfEyes
Banned

Member 13258

Level 9.89

Sep 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:01 PM #44 of 184
What if you thought Sin City's style was a gimmick designed to coverup plot, character, and direction flaws in the movie? I certainly hope this movie will be good, but the trailer doesn't give me a whole lot of hope (though in its defense it doesn't seem like a very well thought out trailer, and that is not the fault of the movie itself).
If you thought this, then you obviously know jack shit about Sin City in terms of the movie and the graphic novel.

That "gimmick" style is taken straight from the book. A black and white style with small bits of color to give it a gritty look. That's what Miller was going for.

Now your opinion on the characters is fine by me because I don't like some of them either.

Using the "gimmick" to cover up plot and directional flaws is moronic. The entire Sin City series is more then 7 books long. All they did was take three of the books and turned them into a movie. There was no directional flaws because you don't have to read the novels in order.

Ulysses, granted it looks falsely colored, they where trying to get close to Miller's book which is page after page of detailed but extremely heavily drawn with a lot of dark outlines and shadowing. I guess that's what they where trying to copy.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:20 PM Local time: Jan 18, 2007, 09:20 PM #45 of 184
the visual style is somewhat impressive but overall I'm not interested in these kind of movies. I never liked the gladiator type films since they all feel the same in my opinion.
We all know the hero dies ^^
I really disliked Gladiator as well, but the ultra-stylized look in this movie, as well as crazy characters and pretty much over the top everything has me interested because it seems to be taking a fantasy approach to something that (at least supposedly) did happen.

In that same vein, I think attempting to apply a historical value to this movie is kind of pointless. It's so far removed that you're basically talking about two different Spartas.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:40 PM Local time: Jan 18, 2007, 09:40 PM #46 of 184
On another note, because this has become legend, as Brady pointed out, I feel like something that is archetypal in nature would better fit the storytelling than something that tries to be historically accurate.

In 300's case, what you're going to see is a fairy tale or a myth. The costume, set, and character design reflect that somewhat in creating clearly defined good and bad guys, establishing heroic as well as tragic scenes. You're going to see spectacle, but it's pretty obvious you won't be surprised whatsoever if Whatshisface betrays Whoosit, or Bob Spartan takes an arrow in the back.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:39 PM Local time: Jan 20, 2007, 02:39 PM #47 of 184

You mean individually celebrated elements, when bunged together, couldn't possibly NOT make a great composition? Really?

Looks gay from the trailer. And the makings-of.

How ya doing, buddy?
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE

Last edited by Cal; Jan 19, 2007 at 11:42 PM.
TheXeno
Overlord

Member 13483

Level 8.29

Oct 2006

Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:43 AM Local time: Jan 20, 2007, 12:43 AM #48 of 184
I wished they made a movie based off of Steven Pressfield's "Gates of Fire". A great book and anyone interested in the Battle of Thermopylae should give it a good read. Has anyone else here read that book?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2007, 01:40 AM Local time: Jan 20, 2007, 03:40 PM #49 of 184
If you thought this, then you obviously know jack shit about Sin City in terms of the movie and the graphic novel.

That "gimmick" style is taken straight from the book. A black and white style with small bits of color to give it a gritty look. That's what Miller was going for.

Now your opinion on the characters is fine by me because I don't like some of them either.

Using the "gimmick" to cover up plot and directional flaws is moronic. The entire Sin City series is more then 7 books long. All they did was take three of the books and turned them into a movie. There was no directional flaws because you don't have to read the novels in order.
...what? I'm not comparing the movie to the comic. I don't even care about the comic that much; I just want to see a good and interesting movie. I'm acknowledging that the visual style is done to mimic the look and feel of the comics, and I don't think that's inherently a bad idea. But watching Sin City, all I saw was a visual style, with a lot of forgettable directing and absolutely terrible dialogue. It wasn't a "one or the other" sort of thing; you can have a good visual look and still have decent directing and acting and plot.

That is what I'm fearing with 300; that it has this look to it and nothing to back it up. Style over substance, I believe the term is. At the very least, it should be entertaining, which I can say of Sin City as well.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
IdentikitOfEyes
Banned

Member 13258

Level 9.89

Sep 2006

Old Jan 20, 2007, 08:57 AM #50 of 184
...what? I'm not comparing the movie to the comic. I don't even care about the comic that much; I just want to see a good and interesting movie. I'm acknowledging that the visual style is done to mimic the look and feel of the comics, and I don't think that's inherently a bad idea. But watching Sin City, all I saw was a visual style, with a lot of forgettable directing and absolutely terrible dialogue. It wasn't a "one or the other" sort of thing; you can have a good visual look and still have decent directing and acting and plot.
Well the directing was done by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller taken straight from the novels. If you watch the extra stuff on the uncut edition of Sin City, they admit to having Miller direct it while they watched over the shoulder, as well as using the novels they needed the entire time to set up shots and get a directional feel on how the movie should look. As for dialogue, they where reading from the novel, not some dumb ass script that was written. Every last word came from the book or from Frank Miller telling them to say something different. When it comes to this movie, you have to compare to book because that's what they did when directing it.

Quote:
Looks gay from the trailer. And the makings-of.
Pay attention kids, this is called an opinion, everyone has them and they are killing off logical thought patterns in a timely manner. So please, hit yourself with a rock, it's better for everyone.

Quote:
You mean individually celebrated elements, when bunged together, couldn't possibly NOT make a great composition? Really?
Well from the look of things, that is the kind of stuff that has made movies box office hits over the years. Weather you like it or not the fact that these where the box office hits doesn't matter because, well that's just how the movie industry goes.

Last edited by IdentikitOfEyes; Jan 20, 2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: I like shoes

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] 300