Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:44 AM #1 of 66
Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online

Game Information:

So... Aeria Games is releasing an MMO for the Shin Megami Tensei Series. It's set to be released in North America and Europe.

According to information on Kotaku.com:

Quote:
Set in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo somewhere between Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2, players choose one of three factions - the order preserving Law, system crashing Chaos, and mercenary Neutrals - and utilize a real-time strategic fighting system to help defeat the demons running rampant throughout the city. It features many of the mainstays of the main series, including Devil Partnership and Devil Fusing to create new breeds, my personal favorite aspect of the franchise. Best of all, it follows the free-to-play, microtransaction model, which means you won't have to shell out big bucks only to discover you hate it.
Free subscription? That's relevant to my interests.

Here's the press release from Aeria:
Quote:
Aeria Games Announces Acquisition of Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online for North American and European Release

Santa Clara, Calif. (Sept. 9, 2008) – Aeria Games’ newest acquisition from Cave Co., Ltd., Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online, also called “MegaTen,” will soon be released in the European and North American online PC gaming markets in four languages: English, French, German and Spanish.

Shin Megami Tensei is a major intellectual property of the well-known Japanese developer and publisher, Atlus Co., Ltd. The first of many titles in the franchise was released by Atlus in 1992 for the Japanese Super NES and has grown a large and loyal following around the world with additional game titles for consumer consoles and handheld systems. The latest installment brings the brand online.

Originally released in Japan in Q1 2007, Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online was Cave’s first massive multiplayer online (MMO) title for PC. MegaTen has become a huge success with a large fan following. Aeria Games plans on bringing that success to the European and North American markets as it has done with its titles Last Chaos and Shaiya.

Set in a fictional post-apocalyptic Tokyo, survivors attempt to restore the city by defeating demons and solving puzzles. Each player acts as a “Devil Buster.” Success relies on forming an alliance with demons or slaying them.

MegaTen offers numerous unique features:

* Strategic Real-time Fighting System - Choose between attacking, parrying and defending in real time.
* Diverse Weaponry – Use a wide array of weapons from medieval swords to modern-day rifles and handguns.
* Devil Partnership – Players negotiate with devils to assist in battle and missions.
* Devil Fusing – Players can combine multiple devils to create new breeds.
* Private Dungeons – In addition to the public battle areas, players can access private dungeons to hunt and collect items with their friends.

More information is available at Aeria Games - Join the Fastest Growing Free-to-Play Gaming Community.
So who else is gonna be playing this?

GFF Member - Character Name
Chaotic - Wolf
Dark Nation - Shinra
Inhert - Barzahd
KrelEN - Haughm
Lacerta - Lacerta
ZeroSlash - ArOne

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Chaotic; Dec 4, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:55 AM Local time: Sep 11, 2008, 03:55 PM #2 of 66
It's apparently been out in Japan since last March. Can't say I think it'll be a shoe-in for the western market, but I'm looking forward to trying it out (even though I've never played a megaten game).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:02 AM Local time: Sep 11, 2008, 09:02 AM #3 of 66
A friend of mine had already been playing the Japanese language version. There's a lot of content that needs to be paid for, but the combat system is different from what we normally see... but it goes off timed button presses. Paper theory nerds on your mark for that one.

Edit: I will be playing this.

Most amazing jew boots
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:20 AM Local time: Sep 11, 2008, 06:20 PM #4 of 66
Sounds interesting! SMT is a cool universe, and the fact that it's shmup-veterans Cave who developed it is crazy (and maybe awesome). Since it's free to play with a micro-transaction model means that at least it's worth giving a fair go.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2008, 07:43 AM Local time: Sep 12, 2008, 05:43 AM #5 of 66
Bunch of screens and videos:
Shin Megami Tensei MMORPG goes international | RPG Land

Most amazing jew boots
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Sep 12, 2008, 07:45 AM Local time: Sep 12, 2008, 05:45 AM #6 of 66
From what I've read, it's not exactly a popular game in Japan or Korea. No official confirmed reason yet as to why that is, speculation falls on it either not being grindy enough or lacking many of the traditional MMO conventions most folks associate with these games. That may not be a bad thing depending on your tastes.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2008, 07:47 AM Local time: Sep 12, 2008, 02:47 PM #7 of 66
From what I've read, it's not exactly a popular game in Japan or Korea. No official confirmed reason yet as to why that is, speculation falls on it either not being grindy enough or lacking many of the traditional MMO conventions most folks associate with these games. That may not be a bad thing depending on your tastes.
grinding and MMO conventions are stupid, so to me that's a good thing for sure. However, if it's too empty, that would be boring.

Some of the screenshots look butt-ugly, and some look fantastic, so it's a bit weird. It's to be expected that the graphical quality is inconsistent, that usually happens with MMOs, but this is pretty extreme.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by surasshu; Sep 12, 2008 at 07:49 AM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Sep 12, 2008, 07:48 AM Local time: Sep 12, 2008, 05:48 AM #8 of 66
That was another point of contention, as content seems to be sparse from a few observers. Source? A few posters at SomethingAwful and Nickoten from here who's actually played the game. Nick liked it, but I'm not sure how deep he went because he admitted to a language barrier interfering with things.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kagosin
Why don't you look at it.

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2008, 08:02 AM #9 of 66

So who else is gonna be playing this?
Gonna? I've been playing it.
It's a bit difficult at times since everything is in Japanese.

grinding and MMO conventions are stupid, so to me that's a good thing for sure. However, if it's too empty, that would be boring.

Some of the screenshots look butt-ugly, and some look fantastic, so it's a bit weird. It's to be expected that the graphical quality is inconsistent, that usually happens with MMOs, but this is pretty extreme.
I'm kinda glad there isn't that much grinding in the game, where it focuses more on the usage of your abilities. Took a little while to get capturing down, due to some enemies being aggressive, and others just plain kicking your ass if you mess up.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Kagosin; Sep 12, 2008 at 08:05 AM.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:19 PM #10 of 66
I'll give it a go since it's free and the SMT universe is always a spiffy setting. How much do you actually have to pay for with these microtransactions? Surely you can pick up decent enough equipment and items from enemies and dungeons.

Kagosin
Why don't you look at it.

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:44 PM #11 of 66
I'll give it a go since it's free and the SMT universe is always a spiffy setting. How much do you actually have to pay for with these microtransactions? Surely you can pick up decent enough equipment and items from enemies and dungeons.
You can. You actually get decent equipment just from the shopkeepers around in the towns. The combat system is like turn based/action in a way. You can combo moves, however, if you don't guard in time, the enemy can knock you back with their combos.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
ComradeTande
:B

Member 2213

Level 15.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:56 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2008, 11:56 PM #12 of 66

updating...ever...so slowly. Will get to playing the japanese server either today or tonite, there's a wonderful wiki page that helped me out :
Megami Tensei Online: IMAGINE - Scratchpad Wiki Labs - Free wikis from Wikia

Also, it seems the translation group thats working on the english version is really...iffy. If you check out the Aeria games forums it seems like its all being done by amateurs. Nothing against them of course, they are awesome, but I was hoping to see professionals working on it =\

How ya doing, buddy?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:20 PM #13 of 66
Hey, if anyone is still interested in this, there's beta sign-ups going on for the game:

I registered for it just a little while ago. I'm still pretty interested in this.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:16 PM #14 of 66
So, Open Beta started for this game. They started sending out invites yesterday.

I didn't get one, but FileFront has 20,000 keys available to anyone who wants to try the game.

Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online: Shin Megami Tensei Online Beta Invites Are Go

Check it out. Looks good so far.

ComradeTande
:B

Member 2213

Level 15.98

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:31 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 07:31 PM #15 of 66
I'm going to wait until the official english server is up. By then I'll have my tower updated as well to actually be able to play it.
But I will! If we get enough people together we should try to do a gamingforce guild :<

FELIPE NO
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:22 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 09:22 PM #16 of 66
It's kind of fun.

They just got finished with maintenance (and they still let you play during if you were logged on, even) to fix the major issue right off the bat where running the patcher could cause the game to corrupt and force you to re-install and have to just run the exe instead.

Combat so far is very simplistic, and I somehow don't see it getting any more complex, ever. If you're familiar with the creatures of the SMT universe you kind of have an idea of what attacks they will use and their strengths and weaknesses, so you can have the proper attack strategy ready when the need arrives. It also helps to have a good team (both in your partner and your party) so the weaknesses you have are covered. Would suck to go to an area where you have to kill x amount of (insert thing) where said thing just so happens to be Strong/Immune to or Reflect your main damage source.

I find it funny (since I decided to spec a Mage) that Guns and Swords give more +Spell than actual Rods. Although I find myself relying more on my Persona Devil Demon more than myself for casting spells.

Some random things of note I suppose:
  • Wounded Cerberus is a good Demon but I would not rely on him forever (especially since it's a Quest Demon so you can't even fuse him to something super)
  • Brave Garm is a Unique Demon given to you by Snakeman for talking to him after completing something (completing the Virtual Battle?), you could raise it and then fuse it to pass on some of its great skills or just use it (LV10 requirement). It merely starts off learning late, but gets the end skills much earlier than the other variations of Garm.
  • I hate Cait Siths.
  • Trying to get a Demon to join you can be so annoying. Talk -> "Hi!" -> Talk -> "Hi!" -> Talk -> "FUCK YOU GO AWAY" *SKULL SMASH*

Last edited by Lacerta; Dec 2, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:46 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 05:46 AM 1 #17 of 66
Ooh, I forgot all about it, but I should try this! I have been moving to another country, so I guess I need MMO-escapism like I need gangrene in my legs, but what the hell, I'll just limit myself to the weekend.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:56 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 08:56 PM #18 of 66
I got into the Closed Beta as well, downloading the client/game as I type

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:06 PM #19 of 66
Been playing for a little while as well.

I'm always getting lost. ;_;

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:42 PM #20 of 66
Installing as I'm typing this. I'm hoping it runs well on my PC.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:52 AM #21 of 66
I'll probably update the first post with everyone's names and stuff, so I simply ask:

What's your in-game name?

Mine's Wolf.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:13 AM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 11:13 PM #22 of 66
I'll tell you once I get the bloody Installer to actually run without freezing on me.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 02:40 AM #23 of 66
So does anyone else have an extremely frustrating time befriending demons in this game or is it just me?

FELIPE NO
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 02:43 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 01:43 AM #24 of 66
Expertise -> Talk

Higher Ranks // Class in Talk increases the Negotiation Rate.

Of course, it's also annoying as heck to get something unless you're just that damn lucky.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 05:57 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 03:57 AM #25 of 66
Well I solved the problem of the installer not working, so now I'm in the game (Freakin finally...).

So, In-game name: Shinra

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online