Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Comp freezes randomly

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 25, 2007, 02:28 AM Local time: Nov 25, 2007, 02:28 AM #1 of 3
Comp freezes randomly

I know that sounds like a noob question but -- it's never done this before. My computer's acting like it doesn't have the power it does, and if too much is running at once then BLAM it freezes completely. I think explorer.exe is what's lagging, since the taskbar freezes up.

Oh yah, info.

XP Service Pack 2
Intel 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo processor
2 GBs DDR2 SDRAM

So anyway, I looked at Task Manager to find out if something's hogging the memory, and that real-time virus scanning program included in Symantec Corp. Edition Antivirus is using up a good bit -- over 50,000k in usage.

Here's what happened the last time it froze. I was merely running IE for Windows Explorer. The validation installer window froze, the cursor got stuck in type mode, and then it stopped moving all together.

Other times, it'll happen when I come out of standby. Usually, Pidgin will stop responding and while I can still double click on Firefox or other programs on the desktop, I can't touch anything I have to get to the taskbar for, since it's frozen up as well.

Any ideas? I know it's vague.

How ya doing, buddy?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Sol
resident

Member 1293

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 25, 2007, 02:51 AM Local time: Nov 25, 2007, 12:51 AM #2 of 3
With two GBs of RAM, I doubt it's suffering from any lack of resources to keep running. It may be a hard drive problem manifesting itself, but I like the idea that the OS may be your problem.

Backup your stuff, reinstall the OS, and give it a spin.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kloak
*~Kloaking In Affect~*

Member 3266

Level 12.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:18 PM #3 of 3
Is your comp shutting down by itself sometimes also...or only freezing?

If so it could also be his RAM is not compatible with his MOBO. Seen it happens twice and once with myself. If your PC shuts itself off or give you random blue screens it could be your RAM is not compatible. If its just freezing problems then disregard my comment

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Comp freezes randomly