Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Pang needs help (again)

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:50 AM #1 of 21
Pang needs help (again)

A week ago, Pang came home from work and turned on his computer. Fans and all worked, but he had "no video," as he got the standard "monitor not connected" bullshit.

So he assumed the video card was dead. He immediately made an order with Newegg to replace it.

Upon the arrival of the new video card, it was determined that the problem (exactly the same as the initial situation) persisted even with the new video card.

So from there, he assumed it was his motherboard. He also upgraded the RAM, and the CPU.

He received the CPU, RAM and motherboard last week. Upon receipt and installation of these items, no power was evident in the system whatsoever.

So he ordered a new power supply and case. He received them today. After installation of the new items this evening, he's getting the power light on the MB to come on, but it will not boot at all.

Here are the specs for what he has purchased:
Power supply
CPU
MB
Video card
RAM

Any input or theories on potential conflicts with hardware would be most welcome. Thanks guys!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:50 AM Local time: Nov 21, 2007, 12:50 AM #2 of 21
Have you tried a new cable to go from the wall to the computer? Or even just plugging it in somewhere else so it's on a different circuit breaker?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Mina
The little itch inside your mouth you keep tonguing!

Member 1314

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:14 AM Local time: Nov 21, 2007, 01:14 AM #3 of 21
The power switch (on the case) could be fried, or the connector not seated properly on the board. Not uncommon for this to happen.

If you're feeling adventurous you could hot wire it or use a screw driver to jump it to see whether or not the switch is the problem, at your own risk of course.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:14 PM #4 of 21
Have you tried a new cable to go from the wall to the computer? Or even just plugging it in somewhere else so it's on a different circuit breaker?
I'm not sure that he's tried another power cable, but I think he's tried plugging it in elsewhere. I'll be sure to mention it to him.

Mina, he has a brand new case, brand new PS. Maybe the connector is not seated properly on the board, but he said he checked that everything was seated nice and tight.

He essentially has a whole new system, hard drives excluded. I'm thinking there's a compatibility problem in there somehow... is that a possibility? You guys would know better than I would.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:18 PM #5 of 21
There should be no compatibility problems whatsoever in that build.

Now, I know this may be insultingly simple, but in the original problem did Pang check to see that the monitor was, in fact, fully connected to the computer? Or whether the video cable had been tampered with at all? Also, did he check if the problem was with the monitor itself, by testing them using other computers/monitors? Finally, did he try using different video cables?

As for this new rig, what do you mean by it will "not boot at all?"
Do you mean to say that the system will not turn on at all? Or that it will not boot-up into the operating system? Does the machine make any sounds when trying to start it up?
Basically, I need to know more precisely what happens when you press the power button.

Also, if you are getting a light on the motherboard, then the cable that connects from the wall to the computer is just fine.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by packrat; Nov 21, 2007 at 02:22 PM.
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:00 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2007, 01:00 PM 1 1 #6 of 21
Homeboy seriously needs to stop using computers, they seem to not like him very much.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:33 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2007, 01:33 PM #7 of 21
Have you used a different monitor?

FELIPE NO
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:46 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2007, 09:46 AM #8 of 21
The best thing to do here is solve problems one at a time. Check some of the stuff that others have said. Case power switches go bad all the time, so I would try to 'jump' it to make sure that isn't the issue. But beyond that...

First, you need to check and double check that the monitor and its cables work. Test it on other computers or anything you can check it with. If the monitor does work with other systems, move to step 2.

Second, have everything unplugged from the system except the PSU, CPU, RAM, Video Card, keyboard, monitor, and case power switch connector. And when I say everything, I mean everything. If the system still doesn't post/boot, then try only with one RAM stick at a time, because odds are high that it is a RAM stick issue. If the system does boot with one stick, but not both, then one stick is bad, and the pair needs to be returned. It is highly unlikely that both sticks are bad, so if it wont start with either stick installed, move to step 3.

Third, if the system continues to fail to boot, double/triple check that everything is installed/seated properly. At this point, pull out the video card, and though you won't be able to see a boot screen, you can see if the system starts by fans and everything whirring. If the system still continues to fail, you most likely have a dead motherboard, or power supply. If you can, use your power supply with a different computer. If you can't, then try to use your best judgement about whether your PSU is working (by observing and listening to it). Decide whether the problem is the PSU or the motherboard, and send one of them back to newegg immediately.

Fourth, if on reciept of a second motherboard and/or new PSU, the system still does not start, then you have a bad CPU. VERY RARE, but can happen. Send back the CPU to newegg. If the system still does not start... Well, you are SOL and need to find somebody that can truly trouble shoot this bad boy, cause something is just fubar.

Oh, and tell me you are sure that nobody static shocked anything.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)

Last edited by TheReverend; Nov 22, 2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 01:30 PM #9 of 21
Yeah, the first thing I thought of was that he should really try testing it with another monitor or see if another working machine can display on his current monitor. It never hurts to check.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:31 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2007, 04:31 AM #10 of 21
Was thinking about this thread while looking for things myself and was wondering if maybe the power button on the case of the computer itself is busted. Every now and then mine will get jammed, and while it feels like it's going all the way in, it won't go far enough to actually make the connection.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:03 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2007, 02:03 PM #11 of 21
He just bought a new case though, doesn't that seem unlikely? I don't have any better suggestions, but I find that one a bit hard to swallow.

Most amazing jew boots
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Nov 23, 2007, 01:38 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2007, 12:38 PM #12 of 21
He just bought a new case though, doesn't that seem unlikely? I don't have any better suggestions, but I find that one a bit hard to swallow.
I bought a case, and it came with a bad power switch. Also, had another case that had the power button short out and it now turns on and off via the reset switch.

My experience, when buying a case, power switches can be finicky.

~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 02:39 AM #13 of 21
I am on the phone with Pang right now. He'd like me to clear up a few issues.

1.) The monitor, as far as he and his brothers can tell, is not the problem. He is telling me that since that first incident, he has not been able to "boot" at all. ie: Nothing turns on. No fans, no lights, no nada.

2.) He did purchase a brand new case, THINKING that the switches might be glitchy. He has no real way of knowing whether or not it's the power switch on the new case is faulty or not, but considering this a brand new case and neither the old nor the new case is working, it would be unlikely that it would be the power switch. You guys are saying that COULD be the cause despite the unlikelihood of the scenario, yes?

3.) He DID in fact try to "jump" the power (what Mina said, but he read it elsewhere too), and got no response.

As it stands, he's getting nothing except a light that comes on the power supply, but nothing else.

Sorry for the delay, by the way. Holidays and all that shit.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 02:42 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2007, 12:42 AM #14 of 21
well...if nothing is turning on it sounds like the mobo could be shot.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 02:53 AM #15 of 21
well...if nothing is turning on it sounds like the mobo could be shot.
It's a brand new mobo, too. Brand new system, excluding new hard drives.... =/

I mean, in theory, it should be fine. He was thinking of RMAing the mobo, but he doesn't want to risk the ship time and cost for another if that's not definitely the issue.

FELIPE NO
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:08 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2007, 01:08 AM #16 of 21
Well...option A is to take someones computer that works. take everything but the mobo from that pc, and slowly begin to swap pieces in. The PSU wires (that go to the mobo) could also be fried.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:46 AM #17 of 21
Well...option A is to take someones computer that works. take everything but the mobo from that pc, and slowly begin to swap pieces in. The PSU wires (that go to the mobo) could also be fried.
Yes, he has been doing this for about, o, 2 weeks now.

The problem can not be found using this method. He's tried to no avail, sadly. =/

(He's left frustrated and ready to dole out some cash to the local repair shop if he can't diagnose the problem with what he has on hand.)

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 04:08 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2007, 02:08 AM #18 of 21
Last option...

Get a beefier Power supply! ><

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 01:24 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2007, 12:24 PM #19 of 21
I'm of the mind that either it's the RAM, or something just isn't quite assembled properly. I've had this similar kind of problem. If your RAM or your CPU aren't working, or if a video card is inserted but not seated properly, the system won't boot. Did they go through my troubleshoot list step by step? I'd really like to hear if they tried to boot the system with no video card attached.

Most amazing jew boots
~ Ready To Strike ~
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:40 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2007, 03:40 AM #20 of 21
Yes, he has been doing this for about, o, 2 weeks now.

The problem can not be found using this method. He's tried to no avail, sadly. =/

(He's left frustrated and ready to dole out some cash to the local repair shop if he can't diagnose the problem with what he has on hand.)
How about trying parts from his computers into others?

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 03:50 PM #21 of 21
How about trying parts from his computers into others?
He's been doing the best he can with what he has in the house. Between his old systems and his brother's computers, he's run out of options entirely.

So he's decided to take it to the local shop, where they have the tools to test everything and see where the problem lies. He just doesn't have enough equipment to be as diagnostic as he needs to be.

I thank all of you for your help - really. I am sure he thanks you too. Now, I can only hope he doesn't get snowed at the repair shop.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Pang needs help (again)