Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Age of Decadence & Q&A

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 08:01 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 08:01 PM #1 of 1
Age of Decadence & Q&A

I just did a Q&A with Age of Decadence Project-Head Vince D. Weller over at the RPG Codex. So I've recreated it here! Because this is basically going to be an awesome game that you should be excited about!

For those of you unfamiliar with the project, Age of Decadence is a post-apocalyptic magic punk CRPG based on the fall of the Roman Empire. It bears a lot of resemblances to games like Fallout, Arcanum, and indie RPGs such as Prelude to Darkness.

Quote:
Bradylama:So far we've seen a lot of Roman and Eastern influences that have factored into the game. The weapons concept art VD posted awhile back for instance, features predominantly Eastern blades.

What I was wondering was whether or not "Barbaric" culture has made it's way into the game. Are there Great Halls, for instance? Great swords, woad, stuff like that?

Vault Dweller:Nope. No barbaric cultures. When I designed the game, I left the barbarians and the *other* kingdom out to be able to make a sequel later if I have to. There are references to barbarian tribes and their legends of the war, but that's about it.

Bradylama:Your antagonistic kingdom Q'antaar sounds near-easterny. Is it the remnants of that kingdom that manifests itself as the eastern influences in-game?

Vault Dweller:No. They are from the west. Aztec-ish.

Bradylama:Were they a barbaric society?

Vault Dweller:In some ways. They are not what one would call barbarians, however.

Bradylama:Am I asking too many questions?

Vault Dweller:No, ask away. Discussing various elements often leads to their improvements.

Bradylama:
How many ethnic identities permeate throughout the game, and do predominantly Roman cultures remember themselves as being Imperials while predominantly Eastern cultures remember themselves as being Vassal peoples?

Vault Dweller:There isn't much left for any cultural rifts to develop.

Bradylama:I'm assuming since European "barbarians" are out of the picture that the gameworld is based more on the Eastern Roman Empire. Is this true?

Vault Dweller:Yep. Keep in mind that the game isn't based on, but only inspired by the Romans.

Bradylama:Also, what kind of religious organizations make appearances in-game.

Vault Dweller:None, unless you help Meru (see the NMA screens).

Bradylama:Is there a christianity-like sect that is gaining in popularity?

Vault Dweller:Nope.

Bradylama:Knowing that there's other-worldly beings are there cults dedicated to the worship of certain Gods or Demons?

Vault Dweller:They were not worshipped during the war, and after the war things quickly changed. It's explained in the game. Yes and no.
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4...village7mw.jpg

Bradylama:What about the more metaphysical far-eastern relgions?

Vault Dweller:Nope. Religions didn't fit the setting and the story (other than the one that you can help build).

Bradylama:What other cultures do you think have had an impact on the Gameworld?

Vault Dweller:Roman, Persian, Egyptian.

Bradylama:Is it possible for the player character to develop an entourage?

Vault Dweller:No

Bradylama:You mentioned that there's a religion you can help build up. What about social movements, ala the orc labour union in Arcanum? Do real-world political philosophies factor in any to the social dichotomy?

Vault Dweller:No social movements. The society is in a too primitive state for such concepts.

Bradylama:Will the player character be able to establish a town, or help build up a town from a group of shacks? Would this be how House Darat develops assuming the player character furthers their ends?

Vault Dweller:No.

Bradylama:As an aside, with all the talk of combat avoidance, will the end-game temple force the player character to engage in combat in order to beat the game?

Vault Dweller:Absolutely not. Out of the 7 endings, only one requires you to fight.

Bradylama:Alright, social and ethnic diversities are a non-issue, but how about class? Is there a palpable rift between the rich and poor? Or is everybody practically in the same sinking boat, so much that power gains more importance than wealth?

Vault Dweller:Yes, there is a rift. The rich are the ones with power, otherwise they won't stay rich for long.

Bradylama:Would it be possible for the player character to act as a Robin Hood type working outside of the 40 Thieves?

Vault Dweller:No. That angle doesn't fit very well. What you suggest is kinda Morrowind-ish.

Bradylama:Whoah, hey, these are curiousities, not suggestions. Wealth distribution would be an unrealistic nature of the gameworld since pretty much everybody would be gunning for you (in a manner of speaking).

Vault Dweller:Ok, curiosity, my bad.

Bradylama:I just gotta make sure your shit is packed tight son!

Vault Dweller:God bless you for that. Seriously.

Bradylama:And what about those endings? Will the endgame feature individual endings for factions and communities like Fallout and Arcanum, or will the main seven endings be pretty much it?

Vault Dweller:Yes. The endings are very detailed and include overviews for towns, factions and their goals, and some key NPCs that you helped or fucked.

Bradylama:Also bringing culture back into focus. How much does community culture factor into the game? If, for instance, I wore the traditional garb of a man from Town A, would that factor into convincing people in Town B that I'm from Town A via the Disguise skill?

Vault Dweller:Yes, it would. There are several hidden "clothing" stats: faction, dress_value, dress_type.

Bradylama:Another question this time about Lore. Is there a type of artifact trade, and if so, would you say it's directly inspired by the Religious Relic industry of the Dark Ages?

Vault Dweller:No. The main reason is it didn't occur to me at all (I blame the education system and dumb video games), so I did something else. The rich surround themselves with objects of power and prestige (that vacuum tube was worn on a chain as a pendant, for example). That creates the demand, and peasants and explorers look for anything old, bring all that junk to loremasters, etc.

Bradylama:
Well, if you really think about it, anybody that didn't have some form of protection from the local system would be able to keep an artifact of value without those in power coming along to seize it for the sake of "safekeeping."

The way you've gone about doing it probably will work out for the best.

Vault Dweller:Once the word gets out - absolutely. There are a few "artifacts liberating" quests.

Bradylama:This next question may seem a bit silly, but bear with me. The original Fallout had some sexual themes, but it didn't beat your head over them like Fallout 2, and sex wasn't really a tool to further the player character's ends.

Will sex factor any into the player character's choices? Will it be possible to seduce a gullible lad or lady into doing your bidding? If so, could the player character be a nasty whore, or have you gone a more tasteful route?

Vault Dweller:Sex as in sexual act? No.

Bradylama:Alternatively, does sex really factor much at all beyond gender differences?

Vault Dweller:You can play a seductive female assassin armed with a poison kiss; there are a few gender specific quests; sometimes a woman would have a harder/sometimes easier time.

Male characters get a bonus to intimidating, female characters get a bonus to persuasion (we assume that you are pretty and NPCs might pay less attention to what you are saying and as long as it sorta makes sense...). The bonus isn't visible. You won't get a better line because you are a girl, but your "lower level" response might suddenly work.

The Merchants and the Guards favor men, the Thieves and the Assassins are woman-friendly "societies". I think that's it.

Bradylama:One last question until I come up with something more inspired. Will there be togas?

Vault Dweller:You betcha.

Edited to flow, of course.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Age of Decadence & Q&A