Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] Vagrant Story OST (SSCX-10042)

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 01:30 AM #1 of 8
Vagrant Story OST (SSCX-10042)

Composed by: Hitoshi Sakimoto
Publisher: DigiCube
Catalog Number: SSCX-10042, SQEX-10068/9 (re-release)
Released:March 8 2000, March 24 2006 (re-release)
(information courtesy of Chudah's Corner. Some track titles have been altered to reflect the in-game names from the English version of the game.)

Disc One
1) Opening Movie
2) Valendia Knights of the Peace ~ Duke Bardoba's Mansio
3) Climax of the Graylands Incident
4) Preface ~ Investigation Report Regarding the Graylands Incident
5) Lea Monde is Closed
6) Minotauros
7) Reminiscence
8) Catacombs
9) Dullahan
10) False Memory
11) Sanctum
12) Golem
13) Snares Laid by the Rabbit
14) Abandoned Mine
15) Knights of the Cross
16) Wyvern
17) Town of Lea Monde
18) Interview
19) Snowfly Forest
20) Lizard Man
21) Riskbreakers Work Alone
22) City Walls
23) Brainwashing
24) Rosencrantz
25) Undercity
26) Game Over

Disc Two
1) Workshop
2) Tieger & Neesa
3) Karli
4) Joshua 2
5) Nightmare
6) Lidless Eye
7) Joshua
8) Abandoned Mine ~ Second Layer
9) Iron Crab
10) Painted with the Blood of Violation
11) Tattoo of an Unholy Cross Knight
12) Retrospection
13) Limestone Quarry
14) Dark Element
15) Last of Rosencratz ~ Kali
16) Ogre
17) Kilitia Shrine
18) Great Cathedral
19) Ifrit
20) Fanfare
21) Last Power
22) Large Chapel Garret
23) Utata Crude Party
24) Truly
25) Heteromorphic Person
26) Escape
27) Epilogue
28) Lea Monde at Dawn ~ The Story of a Wandering Person
29) Staff Roll
Bonus Tracks
30) Opening Movie "Fight Mix"
31) Dungeon Robot Mix

"Vagrant Story" is a game that's been largely forgotten by the gaming public despite its pedigree as a Squeenix title. It's not hard to see why; the game is extremely uneaven, moving from almost cinematic action to large periods of running about with no clear purpose, and its battle system is extremely complex and unintuitive. Most people who bought it never made it past the first dungeon.

Yet there is one bonus to slogging though; composer Hitoshi Sakimoto's score. It's an incredibly dark and baroque piece of music that rumbles with power and mystery even during its most upbeat moments. The music serves as something of a tone poem, taking listeners deep into a haunted city and impressing upon them the danger and beauty inherent in the undertaking.

The score is built around a few key innovations and motifs. The "main theme," such as it is, is used relatively sparsely, mostly at the beginning and end of the game, with short reprises in the middle. A few other melodic ideas are constant from track to track, but there's no real leitmotif structure at work. Instead, Sakimoto relies on instrument choice to proivde consistency, especially in the form of distant metal-on-metal hits to provide a sense of the echoing depths of the city, and the harp, which might represent the shafts of sunlight peeking through the ruins. There's also a strong atonal influence in some areas, most notably "Rosencrantz," whose howling brass seems to be inspired by Elliot Goldenthal.

Standout tracks include the lengthy beginning and ending suites, especially the battle theme that develops near the end of the intro. The melodic "Snowfly Forest" contributes an atmosphere of strangeness in its beauty, and "Undercity" is strongly reminiscent of Danny Elfman in its portrayal of a spooky envirion.

The atonal music is best represented by the pulsing, tribal fury of "Tieger and Neesa" as well as the howling "Rosencrantz" and "Abandoned Mines ~ Second Level," which uses metal hits and a children's choir to establish a gothic, almost hellish mood.

The only minor drawbacks to the OST are the fact that many of the best songs, especially battle tunes, don't loop. This is especially unfortunate in the case of "Dullahan," "Ogre," and the two final battle themes. The two remixes at the end of the album are awful and unneccessary; I'd much rather have had more looped tracks.

Overall, "Vagrant Story" is highly reccommended for the orchestral VGM enthusiast. Fans of the dark and the gothic will be particularly impressed, as will fans of Wagner, Elfman, or Goldenthal.

5/5

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Mar 12, 2006 at 10:55 AM.
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:56 AM #2 of 8
Might want to note, if you don't know already, that this album is receiving a reprint on March 24 under the catalog number SQEX-10068/9, along with the soundtracks to Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Anyway, I can only say one big 'ditto' to these comments, as I simply don't have the time or musical vocabulary to really express why the soundtrack is so rich for me. It's the intricacies of this album that make it especially remarkable, but to point out them all is something not even I (the lengthy reviewer) can do and I feel that, without doing so in an appropriate way, all that I would produce is something underwhelming both to me and the listener.

I'll just describe it as a 'mature, grim, and timeless masterpiece'.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 03:08 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 01:08 AM #3 of 8
This is my favorite video game soundtrack of all time, but I simply don't have the intelligence or vocabulary to properly review it. I'll just say that it is by far the most complex and intricate soundtrack out there, and you can't truly get to know it on the first listen, or even a hundred listens. It takes time, but if you make the effort, it's well worth it. Even today, I'm still discovering new things about certain tracks that I never noticed before.

Definitely a 5/5 soundtrack for me.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:38 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 02:38 AM #4 of 8
A lot of the tracks on here are what I'd consider ambient dungeon music. It certainly fits in with the game's atmosphere really well, but sometimes not so much when listening out of context (as opposed to FFT which is awesome no matter where one listens to it). There are a few slow tracks in there that don't really appeal all that much to me, but when it comes down to it, nothing really beats the grandiosity of pieces like "Staff Roll" and pretty much the stuff that plays at the beginning (notably "Climax of the Graylands Incident").

This album is a 8/10 for me. Great, but it can become a little inconsistent at times.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:55 AM #5 of 8
VS is Sakimoto's finest work. It works beautifully in the game and holds up surprisingly well on disc. I especially love the more dissonant boss themes (like "Tieger & Neesa").

I was speaking idiomatically.
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 05:55 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 04:55 PM #6 of 8
My second favorite game soundtrack. I agree with many of the things that have already been said. This one grew on me in a big way and it even led me to look at other game soundtracks a bit differently from the way I used to.

Masterpiece is the right word.

5/5

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
~MV
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 06:42 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 03:42 PM #7 of 8
Sorry to split your post, Chris, but the following responses did not discuss the music and thus were derailing the thread. You can find the new thread here:
http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/ge...tered-ost.html

FELIPE NO
B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 03:13 AM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 09:13 AM #8 of 8
I was posting my feeling about it on old GFF. As for this one I'll only say that when you play you can't stop being amused by the music. Now while I'm playing FF XII all the memories are coming back.

One of the best OST ever made!!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [Album] Vagrant Story OST (SSCX-10042)