Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Fursona 4 - It's like I'm really japanese again!

Celisasu
Tattered Wings

Member 8011

Level 9.35

Jun 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:51 AM Local time: Dec 9, 2008, 09:51 PM #26 of 55
I just popped it in to make sure it worked so it's too early to say at this point. Ugly box though. Then again we expected that. Probably play a little bit later tonight but it won't be until tomorrow night that I really get to start going at it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 01:24 AM #27 of 55
I'm about an hour in myself now. Went with the default manga name (Sōji Seta) for the protagonist. Liking the story so far. Voiceovers are done really well so far also.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 03:18 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 12:18 AM #28 of 55
I got about an hour in as well and my only complaint so far is that I hate the color yellow.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 03:46 AM #29 of 55
Yeah, too bad it wasn't still blue. Then again, I guess "yellow" is an important theme in this game.

I was speaking idiomatically.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2008, 03:56 AM #30 of 55
I have to say, P3's approach of jumping right into a squad that had already been fighting the Shadows was much nicer. I'm enjoying P4, but good lord did it take a long time to get to the actual game. I turned the auto-advance option on at the beginning to try it out, and then it took nearly 2 hours before I even had access to the menu so I could turn it off. Save some exposition for later, guys.

So far I've only gone up to defeating the second boss, but I do like the changes to combat. Having Analysis only serve as a reminder of your own experimentation is kind of nifty, and I'm so glad to have direct control over party members now. Yosuke didn't seem to want to stay on Direct Command even when I turned on tactics memory, but hopefully I just did something wrong.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2008, 03:50 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2008, 12:50 PM #31 of 55
Yeah the game is a bit slower paced, but it is longer that P3 as well. It simply has more content all around.

FELIPE NO
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2008, 05:42 PM #32 of 55
Ugh, is it a bad thing that I'm struggling early one? I'm in Yukiko's Castle and I still haven't advanced past the 4thish floor?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2008, 06:45 PM #33 of 55
I still haven't beaten P3 and i got this. What is wrong with me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Clamjouster
Get it together!

Member 53

Level 17.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:18 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2008, 08:18 PM #34 of 55
Ugh, is it a bad thing that I'm struggling early one? I'm in Yukiko's Castle and I still haven't advanced past the 4thish floor?

don't be surprised, it's a difficult game, you won't win battles easily even if you have the right level, most boss battles even take some luck for you to pull through.

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:37 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2008, 05:37 PM #35 of 55
Wait... does that mean it was a bad idea on my part to start playing this game in Hard mode? How does this compare to some of the other MegaTen games as far as difficulty goes, anyhow?

My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:56 PM #36 of 55
Well, it seemed to be average difficulty until the first boss in Yukiko's Castle. He took his turn first, killed Yosuke instantly with one Skewer, left Chie with 2 HP after she blocked him from hitting me with another Skewer, and then killed me with Poison Skewer. That was all without me getting a single turn and I'm playing on Normal mode.

Seriously, what the hell?

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by The Plane Is A Tiger; Dec 13, 2008 at 07:58 PM.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Dec 13, 2008, 08:14 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2008, 06:14 PM #37 of 55
I had a bit of trouble with the 8th floor boss. Beat it on the second try though. Make sure you have a persona with the firewall ability. The slime learns it. You'll need it to cast on Chie after defeating the minion to prevent the boss from being an asshole and getting two turns from that fire attack it has.

You can also have her defend every round once the minion is defeated if you don't have the firewall ability but it only makes the bossfight longer.

Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Dec 13, 2008, 08:16 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2008, 07:16 PM #38 of 55
Yeah the game is a bit slower paced, but it is longer that P3 as well. It simply has more content all around.
Seriously!?, is this game longer than P3!? (I would love some confirmations!)

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:03 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2008, 07:03 PM #39 of 55
My roommate finished his play through of the Japanese version in 102 hours where P3 FES (the main game) took him 71 hours his first play through, if you want to consider that confirmation. He says he actually missed a decent amount of side quests in P4 too.

Actual (battle) gameplay is probably about the same length, but P4 takes a lot more time to develop events, the characters and the story. Side quests are also serious business this time around. A lot more to them than just fetching junk for Elizabeth.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Cetra; Dec 13, 2008 at 10:08 PM.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:03 AM Local time: Dec 13, 2008, 10:03 PM #40 of 55
Holy crap May's storyline and dungeon is freaking hilarious!

Spoiler:
Kanji, y u so gay

Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Dec 14, 2008, 01:39 PM Local time: Dec 14, 2008, 12:39 PM #41 of 55
My roommate finished his play through of the Japanese version in 102 hours where P3 FES (the main game) took him 71 hours his first play through, if you want to consider that confirmation. He says he actually missed a decent amount of side quests in P4 too.

Actual (battle) gameplay is probably about the same length, but P4 takes a lot more time to develop events, the characters and the story. Side quests are also serious business this time around. A lot more to them than just fetching junk for Elizabeth.
Good bye first half of 2009.

I really wanted to play killzone 2 with the rest of cool kids... damn you Atlus!

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 02:57 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2008, 11:57 PM #42 of 55

I finally got to play some more and I'm finding the first area hard as well. I pretty much had P3 mastered but I'm not sure if I like all of the changes to the battle system. I hate being attacked in RPGs and I loved the fact that you could lock down battles so well in P3. I'm having trouble doing the same because first sneaking up on enemies in P4 is aggravating as hell. I'm only able to hit the floating balls things from behind 1 in 5 times and I've yet to figure out how to get a surprise attack against the shadow blobs.

I also really dislike that you have to find strengths and weaknesses rather than just scanning for them. I already killed myself once from reflected magic. And I find the knock down system in P4 kind of retarded compared to P3. Enemies can stand back up and attack in one turn so the real power of downing an enemy seems greatly diminished. I have no idea how I'm going to defeat some of the bosses if they are anything like P3 bosses if I can't knock them down to prevent them from attacking. Eh I'll probably get used to the changes and change is good. The P4 battle system just does not fit my play style as much as P3 did.

The only other thing is I really do find the interface a bit annoying. It's not just the yellow but it's too stylized for its own good. It does not feel as slick as P3's did and its enough for me to notice that is really isn't a very good interface.

Minor complaints to a really good game so far though. The changes to the social system are looking great and there is a whole lot more to do from the look of things.

Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 07:51 AM #43 of 55
Cetra, I've barely started playing either but it seems that you can still get the free attacks in from knocking them down if you hit their weakness and then guard on your last turn. Since guarding protects your weaknesses you definitely prevent them from taking the initiative.

Clamjouster
Get it together!

Member 53

Level 17.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:09 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 10:09 AM #44 of 55
well as for sneaking on enemies, the first time, I guess this is on purpose it's pretty difficult to actually get an advantage on them(usually they have a lot of levels ahead of you and they look huge) it seems there is a reduced chance for this, since I've managed to hit a lot of shadows from behind, even without "!" and I rarely get advantage, but after I've beaten everything and I revisit it's always much easier.

As for knocking down there is a new status effect that keeps them down, it's that dizzy one, let's say you have a monster weak to ice, you get it a crit and it goes down, if you hit it again with the same thing it will change to dizzy, there is very little chance that your enemy will get up right away if that's what you are looking for.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:01 PM #45 of 55
Once you have your social links high enough with party members there's a chance that they'll ask permission to do a special attack when you knock enemies down too. I've only got Yosuke high enough at the moment, but it worked like him taking my free turn to do a powerful physical attack. It's annoying that they can get up and act on the same turn, but at least the same is true for your people as well.

Getting advantage hits on enemies is a lot more difficult this time around, but mostly because enemies are alerted even if you're directly behind them. I can get it nearly every time if I wait around for the perfect moment to rush them, but the hit area for it to work seems to be pretty specific. If they're turned to the side much at all it just doesn't work. I've also had it succeed when hitting flying guys from the front because the katana grazed their underside. It definitely takes some getting used to, but it's not as bad as it seems at first.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 04:56 PM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 01:56 PM #46 of 55
Yeah I discovered dizzy playing last night and its made me appreciate the new system a bit more. However unless I'm mistaken, it seems impossible to refresh dizzy and the enemy will still get a chance to attack every other attack. Again only annoying to me because I enjoyed the P3 knock down system so much. I'm sure the P4 fights are designed with the fact that you can't completely lock enemies down like you were required to do in P3 and I'll eventually get used to it. I need to learn to defend too because I never defend in RPGs and it seems to be critical here.

I still don't like the encounter system though. You do have to wait around a lot longer to get initiative attacks. If you say screw it and just hit them then eventually you are going to run out of SP having to spend it on knocking down and healing. And in this one you can't recover HP and SP unless you leave the TV world and SP items are as rare as they were in P3.

I'm also really hoping Teddie or someone gets some upgrades too. Not being able to scan for weakness still sucks and I'm finding only being able to see who attacks next to be useless where being able to see the entire attack order in P3 was a core aspect of being able to do well in the game. Some of these changes just seem to be changes for the sake of changes rather than attempts at improvement.

And I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. I'm enjoy the game, probably more than I enjoyed P3 at the moment.

Also, I can't unhear 'homo men' in the battle track after my friend pointed it out to me.

Last edited by Cetra; Dec 18, 2008 at 05:04 PM.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:39 AM Local time: Dec 21, 2008, 02:39 AM #47 of 55
I'm in the month of August now at 40 hours clocked in. I still have a long ways to go. I have only encountered one unfair bullshit death so far. The game seems a lot easier than 3 was but I'm also playing the game on normal mode instead of expert.

Also got my first social link to level 10 and their persona evolved. So in a way it isn't really a bad idea to work on your party members first. Besides the evolving, they also get more combat abilities that are helpful. At social rank 9 they get the ability to survive one mortal blow per battle. That's pretty awesome.

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:55 AM #48 of 55
Do you know what rank it is exactly when the girls first become jealous and reverse their arcana if you go out with another one? I think it was rank 6 in Persona 3, and it would be a bit of a pain if they decided to set it lower this time with three female party members.

I love the extra benefits for levelling your social links with teammates. I've been saved at least once by Chie taking a mortal blow, and I'm sure the additional hits are pretty nice too. Unfortunately the only time I've gotten one it was against physical resistant enemies.

Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:59 AM Local time: Dec 21, 2008, 02:59 AM #49 of 55
It hasn't happened to me yet. I have Chie at 5 and Yukiko at 8. I can try raising Chie's next and see what happens. I also have the band girl at 8 but I dunno if she counts. I feel weird raising hers since she's the type of material that Reclusive Writer and Sir VG would go after.

God my main character is a whore.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:38 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2008, 10:38 AM #50 of 55
From what I hear, there are only two social links that can reverse and its very obvious if you go down that path. The girl relationship aspect is separated from their social link this time as you are able to pick what girls you want more than a friendship with. I don't think you have to worry about girls getting jealous in P4. If they do the game is going to warn you about it like it did in P3.

Also the bathhouse boss is hilarious. The nice guy casting pose is just lol.

Last edited by Cetra; Dec 21, 2008 at 01:55 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Fursona 4 - It's like I'm really japanese again!