Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Official Final Fantasy XIII Thread

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 01:25 AM #1 of 1141
Official Final Fantasy XIII Thread

This might fall under the category of "rumor", but taken from past hunches, I'm going to go on a gamble and remain faithful that we're going to get some info on FFXIII by this E3.

Quote:
The May issue of EGM, which we're thumbing through right now, hints that before Final Fantasy XII is released in the U.S. Square Enix plans to unveil Final Fantasy XIII at this May's E3. This issue also reveals in its rumor mill section that we should "expect a brief teaser video and confirmation from the publisher that the RPG will be a PS3 exclusive."
This corroborates rumblings we've heard that Final Fantasy XIII is practically close to being finished, and Square has been holding off on revealing it until FFXII (which was delayed several times) was released in Japan.

The issue also features some other tasty rumor nuggets worth checking out: Mario Paint for DS, a new PSP design (and new functions), and a sequel to a popular SNES/N64 franchise for the Revolution (read the mag to find out which it is).

In any case, FFXIII at E3. Commence freaking out. We are.
-1up.com

After enjoying the stellar job he's done on Kingdom Hearts II, I am very much anticipating Nomura's first true Final Fantasy title (he co-wrote FFVII, and only drew the characters for the others). He's fast replacing Kojima as my all-time favorite game director, and if KHII is any indication, he can only improve from here.

Yeah, he loves his fanservice (I don't mean the sexual kind), he loves replicating western-style action, and he really, really, really loves zippers. Well so what. Final Fantasy XIII is going to rock. Why lie.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 01:29 AM Local time: Mar 30, 2006, 11:29 PM #2 of 1141
Oh god don't get me started. But XIII is somewhat of a funny number isn't it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

- What we all do best -
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 01:33 AM #3 of 1141
It's a bit ironic, considering the characters he created for KH2 (Organization XIII).

....No, I don't think the game will focus on Oragnization XIII. That would be kind of cool, though...

The only thing I'm wondering about is what the setting will be; medievil, sci-fi, or ultramodern (FFVIII)? Considering Nomura's style, and the fact that FFXII falls under the medievil category, I'm thinking it's time for another sci-fi setting.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 02:34 AM Local time: Mar 30, 2006, 11:34 PM #4 of 1141
Be interesting what Square has planned for the new hardware. It's really the first time they will be working with hardware that is above the cutting edge standard so we'll see what they can do with it.

Most amazing jew boots
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:19 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 01:19 AM #5 of 1141
So when are they going to go with a different naming scheme? XIII is already getting kinda big. Will they just keep going and going up into the hundreds with roman numerals? >_>

FF CL!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Jagged
Chocobo

Member 752

Level 9.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:33 AM #6 of 1141
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
This might fall under the category of "rumor", but taken from past hunches, I'm going to go on a gamble and remain faithful that we're going to get some info on FFXIII by this E3.

-1up.com

After enjoying the stellar job he's done on Kingdom Hearts II, I am very much anticipating Nomura's first true Final Fantasy title (he co-wrote FFVII, and only drew the characters for the others). He's fast replacing Kojima as my all-time favorite game director, and if KHII is any indication, he can only improve from here.

Yeah, he loves his fanservice (I don't mean the sexual kind), he loves replicating western-style action, and he really, really, really loves zippers. Well so what. Final Fantasy XIII is going to rock. Why lie.
Nomura won't have anything (other than Character Design possibly) to do with FFXIII. Kitase's (FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, and FFX-2) team are the ones doing it, and development has been going on ever since 2004.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:33 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 01:33 AM #7 of 1141
XIII huh? Well I'm interested to see what kind of style... let's break down some of the previous:

I, II: Pixels
III: AWOL
IV, V: Mideval Fantasy
VI: Modern Fantasy
VII, VIII: Sci-fi
IX: Mideval Fantasy
X: Modern Fantasy
XI: Mideval Fantasy
XII: Modern Fantasy

So... for XIII, the pattern seems to be either a return to Sci-fi, or Mideval Fantasy.

FELIPE NO
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 04:11 AM #8 of 1141
Quote:
Nomura won't have anything (other than Character Design possibly) to do with FFXIII.
EGM said a bit back that Nomura would be the director. That, along with the fact that he hinted that his next project dealt with the number 13, make for some good odds about it being true.

Quote:
So when are they going to go with a different naming scheme? XIII is already getting kinda big. Will they just keep going and going up into the hundreds with roman numerals? >_>
I hear you. I've been saying forever that Square needs to give up the roman numerals and start doing FF's with subtitles, like a good novel series. Or at least a combination of the two. Or maybe it'll actually end with XV (last I checked, they registered the patents all the way to Final Fantasy 15).

Quote:
Are you sure? It looks pretty medievil to me (princesses, kingdoms, the style of clothing, etc). FFX was more along the lines of modern fantasy, or tropical fantasy if you prefer.

You list FFVI as modern fantasy too, though I believe steampunk is a better example. I think perhaps for the next iteration, I'd like something more akin to FFVIII's style. We already got our fair share of ye old medievil with FFXI and XII, and I don't want the sci-fi to get too excessive that the "Fantasy" portion is just fizzled out (Spirits Within). Likewise, I wouldn't want people whining that it looks like a rip off of FFVII, so they need a setting that's either a step back or a step forward from FFVII's urban setting.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:01 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 03:01 AM #9 of 1141
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Are you sure? It looks pretty medievil to me (princesses, kingdoms, the style of clothing, etc). FFX was more along the lines of modern fantasy, or tropical fantasy if you prefer.
Well, I admit I haven't been able to play it yet (Mostly cuz it hasn't arrived, and I'm without a PS2 for the moment ), but from what I gathered it was more modern in style then say FFIX or XI. I almost put for it "Fantasy + Tactics"... but...

Quote:
You list FFVI as modern fantasy too, though I believe steampunk is a better example.
...I was intentionally trying to be vauge in the descriptions for genre of each game. Yeah, Steampunk is a more accurate version though.

Quote:
I think perhaps for the next iteration, I'd like something more akin to FFVIII's style.
I agree for the fact that FFVIII was unfairly punished... it sort of Polarized the community on sci-fi angled RPGs... and I think there are more things that can be done with the sci-fi angle (FFVII seemed to be a good mix, but that's been fanserviced to death).

Quote:
We already got our fair share of ye old medievil with FFXI and XII, and I don't want the sci-fi to get too excessive that the "Fantasy" portion is just fizzled out (Spirits Within). Likewise, I wouldn't want people whining that it looks like a rip off of FFVII, so they need a setting that's either a step back or a step forward from FFVII's urban setting.
Spirits Within is FF only in name and Sid. I wouldn't mind seeing an entirely new type of period setting... something like Victorian England (Shadowhearts being a good example) or maybe the Roman Empire period?

Most amazing jew boots
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:32 AM #10 of 1141
An announcement for FFXIII would be absolutely fantastic. I would love to have a Final Fantasy as a launch title for the PS3 - it would increase sales like mad.

B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:41 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 02:41 PM #11 of 1141
Originally Posted by Dark Nation
Modern o_O Where do you have Modern in it... It's not like in FF X or something it's more like Vagrant Story or FF Tactics...

"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 09:06 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 04:06 PM #12 of 1141
Originally Posted by Dark Nation
XIII huh? Well I'm interested to see what kind of style... let's break down some of the previous:

So... for XIII, the pattern seems to be either a return to Sci-fi, or Mideval Fantasy.
So you've basically concluded that this role-playing game is going to be either sci-fi or fantasy-themed? You don't say. I expected the setting to be a modern-day trailer park in Texas, thanks for the clarification.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:23 AM #13 of 1141
Originally Posted by Aardark
So you've basically concluded that this role-playing game is going to be either sci-fi or fantasy-themed? You don't say. I expected the setting to be a modern-day trailer park in Texas, thanks for the clarification.
Will there be a massacre involving chainsaws?

Most amazing jew boots

CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:40 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 11:40 PM #14 of 1141
Yeah, I got the same S-E newsletter saying that there are 2 (new?) games that will be announced in E3 and/or TGS2006!

One of them had a title... but not sure where I put that damn newsletter >_< I will post the name once I get home and finds it. (This one is still a mystery)

However the 2nd one executive director 'Shinji Hashimoto' did say that the game that "fans has been expecting and anticipating for..." <-- I expect that would be FFXIII or Crono series? *fingers crossed*

Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:49 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 07:49 AM #15 of 1141
Originally Posted by B4-Hunter
Modern o_O Where do you have Modern in it... It's not like in FF X or something it's more like Vagrant Story or FF Tactics...
Well, on the other hand, there are giant mechanical airships But yes, it's definately more medieval than FFX's modernity.

And yet, in the world of Ivalice (from FFT anyways), airships are ancient history, so it's almost like pre-medieval.

FELIPE NO
Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:51 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 07:51 PM #16 of 1141
Originally Posted by CuteChocobo
Yeah, I got the same S-E newsletter saying that there are 2 (new?) games that will be announced in E3 and/or TGS2006!

One of them had a title... but not sure where I put that damn newsletter >_< I will post the name once I get home and finds it. (This one is still a mystery)

However the 2nd one executive director 'Shinji Hashimoto' did say that the game that "fans has been expecting and anticipating for..." <-- I expect that would be FFXIII or Crono series? *fingers crossed*
Dude... That's got to be THE remake to end all remakes(FFVII) fans have been expecting and anticipated it for years, I really hope that is what Shinji-san implies.

How ya doing, buddy?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:54 PM #17 of 1141
No, THE remake to end all remakes would be FFVI. It's never going to happen, but it would be nice if it did.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 01:53 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 08:53 PM #18 of 1141
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
No, THE remake to end all remakes would be FFVI. It's never going to happen, but it would be nice if it did.
Yeah ok, but you can get the psp remake very soon. Too bad it isn't a ps3 remake...

Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:12 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 12:12 PM #19 of 1141
I'm still very, very wary of a Nomura-headed FF (I honestly want a break from him, as he's done damn near every Square game this gen), but KH2 is starting to set my mind at ease.

Edit:
Quote:
More like:
I-V: Medieval Fantasy
VI: Industrial Fantasy
VII: Sci-Fi Fantasy
VIII: Modern Fantasy
IX: Medieval/Industrial Fantasy
X: Beach Fantasy
XI: Medieval Fantasy
XII: Medieval/Sci-Fi Fantasy

Last edited by Motsy; Mar 31, 2006 at 03:18 PM.
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:42 PM #20 of 1141
Square Enix responds to FFXIII @ E3 rumour AKA "Not very likely, mate".
Quote:
"While there have been numerous rumors about Final Fantasy XIII, Square Enix has never released any information about the title. The recent online article stating that the title will be exclusive for PlayStation 3 and shown at E3 is not based on any official information obtained by us. I hope readers will remember April Fool's day is tomorrow and many Print and Online outlets pull pranks ever year, before they get their hopes crushed by a joke."
-- Square Enix PR

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:45 PM #21 of 1141
Too bad the article was written before April Fool's, AND it was taken from the May issue of EGM (not the April issue, which was already released).

As usual, the Square PRs of NA don't know crap, and they're just setting themselves for embarrasment yet again.

"There are no plans for a sequel to Final Fantasy X"

(next day)

"Final Fantasy X-2 Announced!"

I was speaking idiomatically.
Zeta26
Good Chocobo

Member 1280

Level 18.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:46 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 12:46 PM #22 of 1141
I wouldn't get your hopes up as well. Because this' nothing but a rumor. And tomorrow is the king of all fake stories and rumors. As I said, Square was planning on a Final Fantasy game for PS3. That doesn't necessarily mean it's either this or the remastered version of FFVII.

~Fav Radiant Dawn Character~
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 04:42 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 03:42 PM #23 of 1141
Yeah announcing Final Fantasy XIII is about the same as suggesting that day follows the night.

FELIPE NO
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:20 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 06:20 PM #24 of 1141
Ok fine, the masses of fanboys have spoken:
FFXII: Fantasy + Tactics.

There, happy? No? well I ain't gonna fix it anymore

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Clon
Rousteinireā„¢

Member 2435

Level 5.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:37 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 05:37 PM #25 of 1141
For the Final Fantasy Series, I always had a theory about the numbers.
I think the numbers are a clock, with XII being the last number.
If my theory is correct, there won't be a XIII. I highly doubt it though, I'm looking foward to this new Final Fantasy game for the PS3 they're talking about.

Most amazing jew boots
Come visit my DA page

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Official Final Fantasy XIII Thread