Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Fursona 4

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:00 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2008, 10:00 AM #51 of 92
I consider this servicing--very specifically--the fans of Persona 3. Fanservice by its nature is intended to sell whatever it is that is serving the fans (well, unless it's a freebie I guess). This, as opposed to a "bold, creative vision" or whatever, which this isn't (I guess, I didn't watch the video for fear of spoilers). You are free to call it self-service if you prefer, I mean, we're basically agreeing about what this is. Just not using the same word for it, apparently.
Well, cashing in on a franchise is not really fanservice-- that would mean that every Final Fantasy and Mario game is fanservice. Something that's fanservice is more like, say, bringing a popular-but-dead character back to life in a sequel (Leon in Tales of Destiny 2, Zero in Mega Man X2). We both agree on the main point though, which is all that matters. Right now, I'm just trying to explain what sparked the confusion.

Anyway, the trailer is just... underwhelming.

Spoiler:
It looks like they reused the artwork for Igor, which is kinda lazy. The characters are walking those samey-looking halls, and Shadows seem to be the main antagonistic force again. Battles play out the exact same way, with the all-out attack animation being the same too. At the very least, I would've liked to hear more about the weather system.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Mar 19, 2008 at 12:06 PM.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 05:58 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2008, 02:58 PM #52 of 92
So I may have miss this up until now but uh Evokers = glasses now? If so...ahahaha!

How ya doing, buddy?
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:50 PM #53 of 92
I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Persona 3 did exceptionally well so they are releasing Persona 4 which looks similar (due to using the same engine). Since Persona 3 did well, why go out of the way to make Persona 4 and risk killing the franchise. Going from Persona 2 to Persona 3 was in itself a pretty big risk to accomplish, hence why not ride on Persona 3's success and have Persona 4 be similar?

Heck, here is a good example of what happens when a franchise is changed just a bit:
Seiken Denetsu= Started out pretty solid and then mutilated with several changes by Square Enix after Seiken Denetsu 3 till Dawn of Mana (instead of boosting up levels, how about the player goes back to lvl 1 yay!)

Seriously, if Persona 3 did so well, why bother changing the format?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 09:51 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2008, 07:51 PM 1 #54 of 92
Seiken Densetsu sucks because of shoddy design; not because they tried to change anything. Shit, look at the more recent games-- they've been doing the best they can to replicate Secret of Mana in look and feel. The only decent Mana game to've come out lately, Heroes of Mana, is an RTS. So, change has no correlation with quality.

Using a new graphics engine is in no way "risking" the franchise nor is it changing the format, unless they decided to take it in a markedly new direction like a kid's game about learning the alphabet (O is for Orpheus!). I never said I'm surprised that they're going to attempt to run the series into the fucking ground. I just said I'm kind of disappointed.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Mar 19, 2008 at 11:34 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2008, 07:52 PM #55 of 92
Quote:
I just said I'm kind of disappointed.
But why would you be? Were you expecting a sea change from Persona 3 to 4, within just a year or so?

BTW, I think the glasses just lets them see the monsters. I doesn't seem like they're whipping them out, saying a little something, and BAM Persona.

FELIPE NO

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2008, 07:57 PM #56 of 92
I think the point is they shouldn't have made a game so close to it in the first place. They could have extended development time and made a higher quality product but they chose to release it in rapid succession for sales purposes. (with FES inbetween for good measure...) A good business move obviously, but it *is* disappointing to those who don't fall into the hype of it all.

Glasses aren't the evokers either apparently, it's the cards they carry with them. Someone pointed this out at another forum and after re-watching the trailer I'm inclined to agree with it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2008, 08:03 PM #57 of 92
Originally Posted by Forsety
I think the point is they shouldn't have made a game so close to it in the first place.
That's fine, since that's your opinion and all. I heard the same thing about Ace Combat Zero rolled around not too long after AC5 using the same engine, and many things were reused. And where does the hype factor into all this? They're obviously in this to make money, Persona 3 did very well apparently, why not bring that same team back and try again?

Personally, I think people were expecting a little too much to come from this title.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2008, 08:15 PM 3 #58 of 92
I see hype for it everywhere is why I brought that up. That anyone who announces even the slightest disappointment is pretty much crucified on the spot for not orgasming over the prospect of the game. I guess I can't explain well what I'm trying to say here, but basically Persona 3 is still fresh in a lot of people's minds and they are taking advantage of that by offering a game incredibly similar.

I don't have any problem with the same team making the game, nor does it even bother me that they are using the same engine (many games do this, but they at least heavily tweak it in the process); the problem here comes from the fact that the game looks nigh on identical, visual-wise and gameplay-wise. I mean, IDENTICAL; as in you'd think this was just an add-on like Aegis' after-game quest in FES. It *screams* quick cash-in which, of course, disappoints me.

I mean, if you look closely at the video Igor sports the same portrait they used in Persona 3. They could have at least re-drawn the guy.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2008, 09:35 PM #59 of 92
I see hype for it everywhere is why I brought that up. That anyone who announces even the slightest disappointment is pretty much crucified on the spot for not orgasming over the prospect of the game.
Eh, not really. Aside from that mention a while back to Bloomberg Japan that first revealed the title and this, the game hasn't had much hype. Your view of anyone being excited to see another title similar to one they enjoyed is a bit odd. Crucified? Jesus Christ, you're making them sound like they're zealots.

Quote:
I guess I can't explain well what I'm trying to say here, but basically Persona 3 is still fresh in a lot of people's minds and they are taking advantage of that by offering a game incredibly similar.
While I can understand why this would rub people the wrong way, but why not? Persona 3 did reasonably well critically, why not try to deliver a similar experience with another theme?

Quote:
I don't have any problem with the same team making the game, nor does it even bother me that they are using the same engine (many games do this, but they at least heavily tweak it in the process); the problem here comes from the fact that the game looks nigh on identical, visual-wise and gameplay-wise. I mean, IDENTICAL; as in you'd think this was just an add-on like Aegis' after-game quest in FES. It *screams* quick cash-in which, of course, disappoints me.
Again, what were you honestly expecting if you understood that it's for the PS2 and:

Quote:
the same team making the game
Quote:
they are using the same engine
You get this much but then:

Quote:
the problem here comes from the fact that the game looks nigh on identical, visual-wise and gameplay-wise. I mean, IDENTICAL; as in you'd think this was just an add-on like Aegis' after-game quest in FES.
AC0 fits in well with this. It looks and feels just like AC5, and if you wanted to put a negative spin on it you could could say it might as well be an AC5 add-on. I STILL don't see the problem. Especially since they're in this to make money, and I can see why Namco and Atlus did what they did.

However, if a third game rolls around and after two years (or more) of development it's little more than the last game with a graphics improvement, then you'd have a damn good reason to be upset.

Quote:
I mean, if you look closely at the video Igor sports the same portrait they used in Persona 3. They could have at least re-drawn the guy.
Haha, you're right.

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:12 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 06:12 AM #60 of 92
I really enjoyed the look of P3, so seeing another take on the same style doesn't bother me at all. What I'm afraid of is everything that could have used some improvement in the last one remaining static. Not necessarily carrying over, just no steps shown towards improvement. Ally ai will probably still be flimsy. No depth added to social links. Arbitrary barriers in the dungeon that associate to in game time and events. Repetitive goals. Bloated playtime that has too little happening in too long a span of time.

Despite the above, I really did enjoy P3, swear to god, but I found it far from perfect and more like a good start. Touched on an idea that could be done better with a magnificent result. And I know we know hardly anything about the game still, but it's just a hunch that these things will be largely left alone.

Another point that makes me a bit trepidacious is that I probably powered through P3 almost more for the particular charm of that title's style, setting, cast and the interaction between them. Whether or not that can be recaptured or done to equal effect, I'm weary on. I already like less the whole pumpkin orange color theme and in general what's been shown so far looks less vibrant in many respects.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:49 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 05:49 PM #61 of 92
Persona 3 did reasonably well critically, why not try to deliver a similar experience with another theme?
Because as the lead designer of Persona 4, you have a vision of your game that you want to achieve, rather than merely trying to appeal to people who liked Persona 3 (and at least in the case of Generic Badass, failing to do so because of that).

Especially since they're in this to make money, and I can see why Namco and Atlus did what they did.
Well, yeah, but that doesn't really mean it's a good idea in every case. I mean, everyone in the games industry is always in it to make money, but to what extend a company is willing to sacrifice creative integrity over potential profits differs hugely per company and even per project. A lot of people probably would've bought Ico 2, but Sony made Shadow of the Colossus instead.

However, if a third game rolls around and after two years (or more) of development it's little more than the last game with a graphics improvement, then you'd have a damn good reason to be upset.
I don't mind reusing the graphics engine really (hell, one of my all time favorite RPG series is .hack//), but like Qwarky I'm worried that they're too content to rest on the success of P3, and won't improve the gameplay in areas that it needs improving. I'm not even gonna think about the next next game at this point.

Then again, the multiple endings is a good sign, so I may be jumping to conclusions. Either way, we won't know until the game comes out.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 05:34 PM #62 of 92
Because as the lead designer of Persona 4, you have a vision of your game that you want to achieve, rather than merely trying to appeal to people who liked Persona 3 (and at least in the case of Generic Badass, failing to do so because of that).
And if the director's vision is to use a similar approach and set of tools to present a different scenario and cast? In this case they seem to have done both, which is a win/win situation for both the dev team's creative pursuits and the consumer's demand for more P3-like gameplay.

Quote:
Well, yeah, but that doesn't really mean it's a good idea in every case. I mean, everyone in the games industry is always in it to make money, but to what extend a company is willing to sacrifice creative integrity over potential profits differs hugely per company and even per project. A lot of people probably would've bought Ico 2, but Sony made Shadow of the Colossus instead.
I already addressed this, and it seems like some folks simply have a lower tolerance to milking (or perceived milking). I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and wait and see if they photocopy P3 again for the next entry.

Quote:
I don't mind reusing the graphics engine really (hell, one of my all time favorite RPG series is .hack//), but like Qwarky I'm worried that they're too content to rest on the success of P3, and won't improve the gameplay in areas that it needs improving. I'm not even gonna think about the next next game at this point.
Have they shown any reason to cause you to worry about this? Beyond using reusing assets, of course.

Quote:
Then again, the multiple endings is a good sign, so I may be jumping to conclusions. Either way, we won't know until the game comes out.
Agreed. Though, I just have to mention that Persona 3 had multiple endings (in that it had more than one), heh.

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:11 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2008, 05:11 PM #63 of 92
And if the director's vision is to use a similar approach and set of tools to present a different scenario and cast? In this case they seem to have done both, which is a win/win situation for both the dev team's creative pursuits and the consumer's demand for more P3-like gameplay.

I already addressed this, and it seems like some folks simply have a lower tolerance to milking (or perceived milking). I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and wait and see if they photocopy P3 again for the next entry.
Yeah, I'm not gonna draw any such conclusions myself until I've at least seen more of the game. I'm just saying that catering to the crowd you have gathered (or like you say, seeming to do so) isn't always effective.

And hell, if it's an "encore" game it might still be fantastic. I'll still buy it.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by surasshu; Mar 22, 2008 at 10:16 AM.
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:50 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 01:50 AM #64 of 92
Quote:
but like Qwarky
I don't think Qwarky has posted in this thread yet...

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:54 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 03:54 PM #65 of 92
Persona 4 looks great. Persona 3 is my favourite modern RPG, not because of the story, characters or gameplay as such, but rather due to the overall mood, and it seems that Persona 4 will retain that. And the Japanese small-town setting is exactly what the game needs. It looks like Shenmue I. Great by that association alone.

In conclusion: Game of the Year 2009.

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:30 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 07:30 PM #66 of 92
I don't think Qwarky has posted in this thread yet...
It was you! :B

I caved and checked out part of that video, mostly to listen to the music... I was curious if they changed the music to reflect the smaller town. I'm not sure what I think of the music, it sounds really similar, and I really associate that sound with a big city, it's really urban. I'm hoping that a couple tracks give a more "country" feel, maybe with some guitar or more analog drums or so... Anyway, watching that video made me kinda hyped for P4 as well, haha. BRING IT ON!

To make this post a bit less of a senseless rant, here's the first fanart that I found of P4, I really like it:

Spoiler:

Her name seems to be Amagi Yukiko!

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by surasshu; Mar 24, 2008 at 12:33 PM.
Minoko
夢唄

Member 1108

Level 18.07

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2008, 01:54 PM Local time: May 10, 2008, 02:54 AM #67 of 92
Hmmm... The game has caught my attention. Looks like there are 3 more characters whose names they haven't released yet. The singer girl, the guy with the skull on his shirt and the kid with the hat. I wonder if there would also be an animal (O.o). Oh wait I think its the panda/bear thing. The new characters are shown in this movie
I think the movie can be downloaded at the p4 site but..My download wouldn't start.

About Igor..I think his picture is almost the same as his pic in Persona 2 (except for the irises). I am sad though that the rest of the Velvet Room people are absent. I distinctly remember Belladona. Now it not even a Velvet Room..its more of a Velvet Limo lol.

from the makers of Death Note!! Bakuman.
Am happy..because AgitoXIII and Parasite Eve 3 is a comin to the PSP!!
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2008, 12:04 PM #68 of 92
Here is more on the guy with the skull on his shirt for those who are curious:
Name: Tatsumi Kanji
Persona: Takemikatzuki (personally I like the design)

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/919...8368352yd6.jpg
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/248...8439563wt9.jpg

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 4, 2008, 08:17 AM Local time: Jun 4, 2008, 11:17 PM #69 of 92
Why hello there.

Spoiler:

Secret: It is a very large jpeg.

Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Jun 4, 2008, 08:30 AM Local time: Jun 4, 2008, 06:30 AM #70 of 92
July 10th, eh? So we'll probably be seeing this sometime next year then if we're lucky! Honestly, I still think it is too early to get another persona game. They should wait at least another year or two and put it on the PS3.

Kagosin
Why don't you look at it.

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2008, 08:45 AM #71 of 92
July 10th, eh? So we'll probably be seeing this sometime next year then if we're lucky! Honestly, I still think it is too early to get another persona game. They should wait at least another year or two and put it on the PS3.
But then it would probably go to the route of how Disgaea 3 was in a way. People shunning it because of the graphical aspect behind it.

FELIPE NO
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Jun 4, 2008, 08:48 AM Local time: Jun 4, 2008, 06:48 AM #72 of 92
I applaud NIS for using 2D graphics and sprites on the PS3. We don't need every game to look like a next gen first person shooter or Metal Gear Solid 4.

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2008, 09:08 AM Local time: Jun 4, 2008, 04:08 PM #73 of 92
On one hand, I'm glad that they are announcing a new Persona game, but on the other hand I'm a bit worried. The time between 2 and 3 (and Fes) was long enough to create something fresh and original, instead of just making a few changes to the second game, and with the release of yet another game, I fear that some of the creativity and originality will be lost, just to be able to ride on the success of the third game.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2008, 07:29 PM #74 of 92
On one hand, I'm glad that they are announcing a new Persona game, but on the other hand I'm a bit worried. The time between 2 and 3 (and Fes) was long enough to create something fresh and original, instead of just making a few changes to the second game, and with the release of yet another game, I fear that some of the creativity and originality will be lost, just to be able to ride on the success of the third game.
Quote:
Persona 3:
JPN 2006-07-13

Persona 3: FES:
JPN 2007-04-19

Persona 4:
JPN July 10, 2008
Two years from one full version to the next. You have to keep in mind that Japan's had the game for a good spell by the time folks abroad picked it up. A game doesn't need to stew for more thantwo years to evade concerns about lack of creativity/milking/etc..

Most amazing jew boots

Tsunade
Clinically Insane!!

Member 153

Level 23.12

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:07 AM #75 of 92
WOW super awesome... why haven't I heard about this???? Grrrr and I thought I was up to date with RPGs >....<

Similar art and setting (love it) - hmmm is there any indication whether a North American release is underway or considered?

^By Auro from the FFXII board... Thanks ^^

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Fursona 4