Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] SMT: Persona 3 (The RPG to keep talking about, since :awesome:) Now with more PEZ.

yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:15 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2007, 02:15 PM #26 of 556
Is this deluxe package the only package available? I just wanna make sure before placing an order on Amazon, as it doesn't state what edition it sells.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:51 PM #27 of 556
Is this deluxe package the only package available? I just wanna make sure before placing an order on Amazon, as it doesn't state what edition it sells.
Yes. Every copy of the game comes with artbook, cd and the special packaging.

How ya doing, buddy?
Jujubee
Good Chocobo

Member 416

Level 16.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2007, 06:16 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2007, 05:16 PM #28 of 556
This game looks pretty good, especially those anime scenes. Persona 3 has a stand-alone story, with nothing to do with the other games in the series right? Maybe I'll go pick it up tomorrow, heh, I keep telling myself 'this will be the last PS2 game I'll buy.' Hope its worth it. =x

Odin Sphere could have been better.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:19 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2007, 05:19 PM #29 of 556
Yes. Every copy of the game comes with artbook, cd and the special packaging.
Thanks man, now I can place my order worry-free

I was speaking idiomatically.
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2007, 08:35 PM #30 of 556
This game looks pretty good, especially those anime scenes. Persona 3 has a stand-alone story, with nothing to do with the other games in the series right? Maybe I'll go pick it up tomorrow, heh, I keep telling myself 'this will be the last PS2 game I'll buy.' Hope its worth it. =x

Odin Sphere could have been better.
Yes, you don't need to have played any of the previous Persona or MegaTen games to understand the story.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2007, 01:44 AM #31 of 556
Whoo! Now knowing that this is a stand alone game and I wouldn't have needed to play the other Persona games AND seeing this game get good scores... It seems like this game deserves a purchase.

I wanted to save it for something else, but I'm sure this would be more interesting.

FELIPE NO
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 04:02 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2007, 10:02 PM #32 of 556
First 42 minutes here. Looks incredible, the dubbing is really excellent.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...ies/86990.html

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 05:53 AM #33 of 556
Damn, definitely liked what I saw, even though the wait's going to be excruciating now.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:21 PM #34 of 556
ok after watching that video, I'm so getting this game!

and I have to withdraw what I said in this thread, this game is so creepy XD

oh and I'm so getting that soundtrack!

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:08 PM #35 of 556
Ah, just went back to check it out again and the same video is available in a higher res. Some things were a little hard to make out in the other one, so it's nice to have this one.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Jul 26, 2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Accidentally linked to the smaller version, fixed the link
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 06:27 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 04:27 PM #36 of 556
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/932312.asp

This game has been getting fairly high scores. EGM even gave it a 9.5, 9.5, and 8.5 and game of the month in its September issue over Blue Dragon. 17 more days. ;_;

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 09:49 AM Local time: Aug 2, 2007, 04:49 PM #37 of 556
I'm actually quite a bit surprised at those scores. Wouldn't have expected the game to turn out that good, especially since it's one of the lesser known series in the J-RPG niche.

Of course I'm even more excited about Persona 3 now. The game looks gorgeous and gameplay seems to be refreshingly different from its predecessors. The delay is bad, but I guess it will be worth the wait.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 09:51 AM Local time: Aug 2, 2007, 07:51 AM #38 of 556
Why is this coming out the same day as Madden ;_;

Well, I guess Madden will be for when friends come over, and Persona will be for my sad alone time when I need single player games to pick me up...which is more often than I think >_>

This game definitely has had my interest peaked, which is suprising, since none of the other Megaten ever did. I'm pretty much a sucker for the whole social aspect they hyped so much, and the reviews I've been seeing have only bolstered my decision to grab this game.

How ya doing, buddy?

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
Jujubee
Good Chocobo

Member 416

Level 16.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2007, 04:02 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2007, 03:02 PM #39 of 556
Why did I think this game was out already? I went in to Gamestop today, browsed the PS2 section for a while then finally asked 'Do you have Persona 3?' They said it got pushed back because of something wrong with the artbook..

How ya doing, buddy?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:56 PM #40 of 556
As you just said, it was pushed back.

They said it was about some manufacturer delays.

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:44 AM Local time: Aug 9, 2007, 10:44 PM #41 of 556
http://www.rpgland.com/games/persona3/review.html
Quote:
The game mostly consists of time spent after school and time spent in Tartarus. Time during school is mainly skipped over. The only major things that happen during the school day itself are having people from social links ask to hang out during lunchtime, having the occasional pop quiz, and exams. The best thing about the school day is how real to life it seems. Players honestly have to pay attention to teacher's speeches or else they'll look like a fool when asked a question in class. Friends--mainly Junpei--will ask for answers when called upon unawares. After school, players can go to a number of locations, though unfortunately exploration in the city is very limited. What players do after school, however, is a large part of how they can improve the main character's stats. Interacting with others through the social link system will improve the power of their Persona, and doing other activities such as studying can improve character's academics, charm, or courage. It is hard to get across how many options there truly are in the game. Players will really have a hard time at many points in the game trying to decide what exactly they want to do, who they want to hang out with, what is most important to them.

-snip snip snip-

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 is a role-playing experience in a realm of its own. Its mature themes, superb production values, awesome battle system, and phenomenal storyline set it in a class of its own. Few RPGs could hope to do what Persona 3 does easily: make the player care about the people in the game.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:56 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2007, 08:56 PM #42 of 556
Holy shit, it's a website dedicated to RPGs giving an RPG game a high score.

I think I'll stick to personal judgement and youtube videos when it comes to "evaluating" a game.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2007, 03:24 AM #43 of 556
I wouldn't discredit the review just because it's a site dedicated to RPGs, but a lot of their scores are way off. Children of Mana gets a 7 while Puzzle Quest gets a 4? Definitely not placing much trust in them.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2007, 08:14 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2007, 06:14 AM #44 of 556
I wouldn't discredit the review just because it's a site dedicated to RPGs, but a lot of their scores are way off. Children of Mana gets a 7 while Puzzle Quest gets a 4? Definitely not placing much trust in them.
Understandable, but it would probably make more sense to compare the Persona 3 review to others by the same author, not reviews written by someone else, such as the two you list, wouldn't it?
(He has reviewed Odin Sphere (9), Super Robot Taisen (7), Hoshigami Remix (4), Contact (5), Devil Summoner (7), and Shining Force EXA (2)
Quote:
Holy shit, it's a website dedicated to RPGs giving an RPG game a high score.
IIRC, only 4 games ever have gotten that high of a score or higher in the 'Land, so a 9.5 is kinda up there.
(Xenogears, Lunar 2, Skies of Arcadia, Wind Waker)

In any case, a review is one person's opinion. When someone forum posts that or takes interest in it, they're not saying "Jeff Johnson says this is great, so you will all find it great too!" No media outlet also functions as The Good Taste Bible; a single reviewer's opinion is just that. People should approach reviews with the fact in mind that their own opinion may vary--be it greatly or slightly.

Nevertheless, this is the internet, and before games are released, it's not uncommon to post and compare reviews of it. So here this one is ^_^
He enjoyed pretty much everything about the game, looks like.

Personally, Persona 3 doesn't sound like something I'd have a total blast with, but I do think I'll give it a try some time, maybe after I'm done with Wild ARMs 5 and Growlanser: Heritage of War, whenever that may be.

How ya doing, buddy?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:16 AM Local time: Aug 11, 2007, 04:16 AM #45 of 556
IIRC, only 4 games ever have gotten that high of a score or higher in the 'Land, so a 9.5 is kinda up there.
(Xenogears, Lunar 2, Skies of Arcadia, Wind Waker)
Why would someone take the time and effort to make a review of Lunar 2 without making one for Lunar 1? I don't get it.

Most amazing jew boots
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2007, 02:06 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2007, 12:06 PM #46 of 556
Seems like Persona 3 has been delayed even more!

Gamestop shows that it will actually begin shipping on August 18. I probably wouldn't believe it just based on their word, but Amazon is saying they'll begin shipping on the 19th.

I haven't heard any official word from Atlus (yet), but looks like we'll have to hold our horses just a little bit more.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2007, 02:22 PM #47 of 556
I'm a little confused about whether or not it's delayed. Best Buy's site says the 21st, but their site is terrible about game release dates. EB's site said it was shipping on the 14th bonus offer section said the 18th this morning (and has ever since the initial delay), but now it says it's out and the 18th date has been removed from the Bonus Offer section.

I'll go by the mall tomorrow and hope for the best, I suppose. At the very least I'm hoping to pick up Rune Factory anyway.

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2007, 02:32 PM #48 of 556
I'm a little confused about whether or not it's delayed. Best Buy's site says the 21st, but their site is terrible about game release dates. EB's site said it was shipping on the 14th bonus offer section said the 18th this morning (and has ever since the initial delay), but now it says it's out and the 18th date has been removed from the Bonus Offer section.

I'll go by the mall tomorrow and hope for the best, I suppose. At the very least I'm hoping to pick up Rune Factory anyway.
Definitely, my EBGames order went from the preorder text I've seen this whole time to: Processing

Hopefully we find out what's going on here.

^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2007, 02:52 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2007, 02:52 PM #49 of 556
I already got mine. Going to play it tonight.

WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2007, 03:09 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2007, 03:09 PM #50 of 556
ness --

Tritoch --
Folks on Gamefaqs are confused as well, but a few folks mention that the "delayed 'till 18th" thing should've been announced by ATLUS in its entirety (mis-information?). I've already been billed, so I think the "processing" stage means they're throwing it out the door, but it's not quite there.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] SMT: Persona 3 (The RPG to keep talking about, since :awesome:) Now with more PEZ.