Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Router w/o Broadband

jsphweid
Chocobo

Member 691

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 09:11 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 08:11 PM #1 of 5
Router w/o Broadband

Well, currently I am on dial-up. I SHOULD have broadband in a few weeks using a new wireless technology (not satilite) that uses standard PPPoE. So, that network cable that would come from the wireless device would normally go in to the WAN port on a router... What if my internet is dialup? Can I just make it a wireless switch for now?

When I plug my server into a normal LAN port, I don't get connection to the internet. Half the time I try to access a location on the internet, I am redirected to http://www.netgear.com/welcome.htm and then an error saying the requested URL cannot be found...
When I plug my server into the WAN port, I get full internet access but don't know what it does to file sharing..
Routing and Remote Access Server
Physical Router - Netgear WGT624 Wireless Router
Thanks,

Joseph

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by jsphweid; Apr 7, 2006 at 09:39 PM.
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 09:25 PM #2 of 5
I don't get it. You're saying that your new Internet receiver thing will require you to plug it into a network port (RJ-45)? But you are concerned because you currently use dial-up (RJ-11)?

When you switch, you won't be using the dial-up, and you just plug it into the RJ-45 WAN port on the router.

At least that's as far as I can tell until you clarify the issue/question.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
jsphweid
Chocobo

Member 691

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:43 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 09:43 PM #3 of 5
You're exactly right...

The problem is that I would like the router to act as a switch for now. I don't know if that's possible.
Since the RJ-11 plugs into the internal modem, I just need to use the router as a switch (...wireless switch) in the interum. About every other time I go to a site I am immediatly directed back to the router's configuration which can't be found (because it keeps wanting to redirect routerlogin.net to netgear.com).

Thank you for your help. (by the way, how did you all learn to make your own cable... I followed a tutorial on LANSHACK, but it turned sour and wouldn't work...)
Joseph

Most amazing jew boots
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 02:53 AM #4 of 5
You may be able to enable to enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in XP. This *may* work, if you have your network setup with static IP addresses. http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

But you might not want to bother with that, and just use the Internet connection on the machine that is plugged into the dial-up. If it doesn't work, it can be a hassle, and a dial-up connection doesn't have enough bandwidth to effectively share.

There are (Or at least used to be) routers the had a built-in modem to let you plug your phone line right into it and share it from there. This doesn't much matter in your case because you are shifting away from using Dial-up, so an added expense as a temporary solution sucks.

I went to school for my networking, and it included making RJ-45 patch and crossover cables. But this site might work for you. http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...ble/cable5.htm

Just be sure that the ends are all the way to the end before you crimp it. A *lot* of people need a couple of tries to get their first one working.

Most amazing jew boots
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
jsphweid
Chocobo

Member 691

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 03:49 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 02:49 PM #5 of 5
Awsome, thanks, I put together my first successful cable today!
I think I can live a little while with the hassle of this router. I don't understand it. A router is confusing. I have 2 computers, router, and a switch. I connect the 2 computers to the switch. The switch to the router. The router to the 'internet' (haven't completed this step since I'm still on dialup). If I try to use remote desktop to connect with this setup I get an error saying my network layout prevents me from connecting. However, when I unplug the cable going from router to switch (leaving the router not plugged into anything) I get a connection. I don't understand this.

How does everyone seem to know everything about routers? The wikipedia definitions and howstuffworks articles don't seem to give enough...

Joseph

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Router w/o Broadband