Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:59 PM #1901 of 3592
Originally Posted by Slayer X
Also Acer the Wii is doing the same thing, allowing you to use any HDD you please.
Guh. Please don't spout such nonsense.

The Wii has the ability to access things via USB. However, the Wii must be programmed to recognize whatever is plugged into the USB. It's planned that in the future via a firmware update that the Wii could recognize external harddrives via USB. However, if this means any external harddrive or specialized harddrives sold only by Nintendo remains to be seen.

It also remains to be seen how far an extent the SD card port can be used as that will be the most abused feature I can foresee. At least for now.

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:07 AM Local time: Oct 21, 2006, 07:07 AM #1902 of 3592
I asked this a few pages back, but it got lost in the Metallic image spam

Like Slayer, I'm going to be using HDMI->DVI for my PS3 connection since I've got a nice 20" wide Dell monitor.

However, does anyone know of a (relatively) cheap solution to be able to plug both my computer and the PS3 into the monitor at once and be able to switch between them without the massive unscrewing requierd for DVI connections?

One solution I have is to take a cut in monitor clarity and just use the VGA connector for my monitor... But ideally that's not the best solution. There's a box out there that can do this, but it's designed for being able to control two computers at once with one monitor and keyboard & mouse, rather than just being a switchbox for DVI inputs.

---

And another, unrelated question: Has anyone checked out their local Best Buys for PS3 kiosks yet? They were supposedly rolled out yesterday the 20th, but I hadn't heard any big fangasm about them since the allegedly false PS3 fanboy lineup from earlier in the week. I was going to check it out today, but wanted to check with other folks first before depleting a chunk of my day

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:29 AM #1903 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
I asked this a few pages back, but it got lost in the Metallic image spam
Hey, I suffer from that too. I put up pictures and often time I make a big spread only for it to get lost as the last post on a page.

Quote:
Like Slayer, I'm going to be using HDMI->DVI for my PS3 connection since I've got a nice 20" wide Dell monitor.

However, does anyone know of a (relatively) cheap solution to be able to plug both my computer and the PS3 into the monitor at once and be able to switch between them without the massive unscrewing requierd for DVI connections?
Here's what I have in mind:

Use an DVI to HDMI cable to go from your computer to your monitor, and have that go into an HDMI switchbox.

PC (DVI to HDMI cable) -> HDMI switchbox

Now, have the PS3 go into the switchbox with a regular HDMI cable:

PS3 (HDMI cable) -> HDMI switchbox

Now, you're going to need an adapter to connect your computer's DVI cable to the HDMI box, unless it's removable and you can simply get an HDMI to DVI cable, or vice versa. Here's a switchbox:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

HDMI cable:

DVI to HDMI cable:

Quote:
One solution I have is to take a cut in monitor clarity and just use the VGA connector for my monitor... But ideally that's not the best solution. There's a box out there that can do this, but it's designed for being able to control two computers at once with one monitor and keyboard & mouse, rather than just being a switchbox for DVI inputs.
How's the solution above?

Quote:
---

And another, unrelated question: Has anyone checked out their local Best Buys for PS3 kiosks yet? They were supposedly rolled out yesterday the 20th, but I hadn't heard any big fangasm about them since the allegedly false PS3 fanboy lineup from earlier in the week. I was going to check it out today, but wanted to check with other folks first before depleting a chunk of my day
Hmm, haven't checked either. Of course, the rollout date is the 20th, doesn't mean all the stores will just have one magically appear.

FELIPE NO

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:40 AM #1904 of 3592
Yeah. Get a DVI male to female cord and just plug the cable you want in at easy reach access.

Double Post:
Oh Metal, have you seen a switch box like that does the opposite. I want one that takes one input and switches between 2 outputs. I have two displays and would like to switch to both of them on the fly.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by FatsDomino; Oct 21, 2006 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:49 AM #1905 of 3592
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
Yeah. Get a DVI male to female cord and just plug the cable you want in at easy reach access.

Double Post:
Oh Metal, have you seen a switch box like that does the opposite. I want one that takes one input and switches between 2 outputs. I have two displays and would like to switch to both of them on the fly.
Hmm, that should be easy to find. I'll just edit this post with the link to it.

Edit: Err, I think I found one:

http://sewelldirect.com/gefen2x2hdmiswitch.asp

Problem is, that thing is expensive. Well, HDMI switchers with more than one output are expensive, just to clarify.

Playstation 3 XMB Walkthrough

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

From VG Aficionado:
Spoiler:

Originally Posted by Gamespot
GameSpot confirms:

American racing fans have been without a Formula One game for some time now. After EA lost the license, only to see it snapped up by Sony, F1 games have been exclusively released seemingly everywhere else but here in the good old USA. That problem is about to change in a big way, thanks to today's news that Sony's Formula One 06 for PlayStation 3 will be released in the States in 2007. We got a chance to take another look at this open-wheel racer and, we're even more excited for this game than before.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 22, 2006 at 01:45 AM.
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 01:36 PM Local time: Oct 21, 2006, 10:36 AM #1906 of 3592
Male to female cord seems to be the best option in this case I think The switchbox is on backorder, dunno if it would get back in stock by release. Male-female option is also a bucketload cheaper, though of course still requires screwing in the cable. But it beats dealing with the back of the monitor.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 01:38 PM #1907 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
Male to female cord seems to be the best option in this case I think The switchbox is on backorder, dunno if it would get back in stock by release. Male-female option is also a bucketload cheaper, though of course still requires screwing in the cable. But it beats dealing with the back of the monitor.
Yeah, I'd rather go with the easy way. But since you mentioned switchbox I made sure to incorporate that in there (that and no screwing).

Quote:
Subtle surprises were revealed, like the sound of the orchestra tuning that hums when a PS3 is turned on. Also unexpected was a feature in "Genji" to install the game, committing 4GB of data from the game's Blu-Ray disc to the PS3's hard drive — a three-minute one-time-only procedure available from the game's start menu that a Sony rep said cuts down in-game load times from about 15 seconds to four seconds. That's something Sony can offer, given that both versions of its console include a hard drive — 20GB and 60GB, respectively. "Genji" also happens to be done. The game is ready to be manufactured, one of the PS3's first finished works.
Source

Looks like getting a faster/larger HDD is inevitable if you want to get a few of your games loading faster.

Phil Harrison has confirmed that demos, trailers, updates and some other downloadables will be free of charge.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 21, 2006 at 03:45 PM.
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 04:05 PM #1908 of 3592
Perhaps this was mentioned somewhere else. But allowing you to install the game, wouldn't that make it easier for people to rent it, install it, and then play the game whenever you want afterwards. This ultimatly taking away from game ssales. Or does Sony have a plan in motion like game ID#s to stop this from happening?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 04:18 PM #1909 of 3592
Originally Posted by Slayer X
Perhaps this was mentioned somewhere else. But allowing you to install the game, wouldn't that make it easier for people to rent it, install it, and then play the game whenever you want afterwards. This ultimatly taking away from game ssales. Or does Sony have a plan in motion like game ID#s to stop this from happening?
It's not actually "installing" the game, so much as it's putting info on the HDD so the game doesn't have to read them off the disc. Even though 2x BR = ~6x DVD in terms of transfer rate (due to larger aperture), it's still slower than a 12x DVD drive. This is one of the reasons why the machine is quieter than its competition too.

IIRC, this is basically HDD caching.

I was speaking idiomatically.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 04:23 PM Local time: Oct 21, 2006, 04:23 PM #1910 of 3592
HDD caching is something that Namco Bandai did right with Tekken: Dark Resurrection for the PSP, if I'm not mistaken. You still need the UMD, but it caches to the memory stick and has virtually no load times.

That's a great feature for the PS3 though, and certainly incentive to find a cheap 80GB or so that'll fit the PS3.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 04:30 PM #1911 of 3592
Oh, ok. I know what caching is, it was just when I quickly read over Metal's post it sounded like it was installing the whole game to the HDD. Thanks for correcting me there.

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 05:21 PM #1912 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
HDD caching is something that Namco Bandai did right with Tekken: Dark Resurrection for the PSP, if I'm not mistaken. You still need the UMD, but it caches to the memory stick and has virtually no load times.

That's a great feature for the PS3 though, and certainly incentive to find a cheap 80GB or so that'll fit the PS3.
Not to mention that if you get one with faster seek times, as Oldskooler mentioned, you could improve them further. This is definitely good news, as well as Phil Harrison confirming that trailers/demos will be free.

Ridge Racer 7 new feature interview

Def Jam: Icon Gamer's Day HD gameplay

Fight Night: Round 3 HD gameplay

Ted Price interview

Wow, look what Resistance used to look like (known as I-8 back in May '05):
Spoiler:

(Resistance, Oct '06):
Spoiler:

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 22, 2006 at 03:01 PM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:21 PM #1913 of 3592
Here's some PS3 gameplay demonstration for a few games done during Gamer's Day.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance:http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...14279&type=wmv

Gran Turismo HS: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...14273&type=wmv

Call of Duty 3: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...14267&type=wmv

EDIT: Links edited so that you don't watch the same thing twice. There's also a Full Auto 2 demonstration at the site too, however I am waiting for the HD video (coming soon) before posting a link.

Last edited by Slayer X; Oct 21, 2006 at 10:39 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:29 PM #1914 of 3592
Fight Night and Icon videos are posted above, Slayer. Downloading the Marvel Alliance, GTHD and Call of Duty videos now.

Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:44 PM Local time: Oct 21, 2006, 08:44 PM #1915 of 3592
Can we PLEASE start putting the images in spoiler tags. I know it doesn't save bandwith, but it's annoying as hell to scroll through every single one every time I check this thread out.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:51 PM #1916 of 3592
Originally Posted by Casaubon
Can we PLEASE start putting the images in spoiler tags. I know it doesn't save bandwith, but it's annoying as hell to scroll through every single one every time I check this thread out.
Should I start putting the articles and other reads in quotes too?

Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:13 AM Local time: Oct 21, 2006, 11:13 PM #1917 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
Should I start putting the articles and other reads in quotes too?
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but no. One single article is usually only the size of 1 images, so it hardly takes any space.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:41 AM #1918 of 3592
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but no. One single article is usually only the size of 1 images, so it hardly takes any space.
No, I was actually being serious. Sorry, I don't know how to pull of being sarcastic IRL, this applies even moreso online.

Wouldn't it be a hassle for those who want to see the images, to click the spoiler tags all the way down a page, even if it's just to view them once?

Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:46 AM Local time: Oct 21, 2006, 11:46 PM #1919 of 3592
I guess, but I think most people only view them once or twice. I only view them once, and every other time I check the thread it's just scrolling through all the madness. It's only one click to show them, and scrolling through them all makes it hard for me to find the newest post, which is far more inconvienent then just clicking a couple times to see some images.

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:57 AM #1920 of 3592
I guess, but I think most people only view them once or twice. I only view them once, and every other time I check the thread it's just scrolling through all the madness. It's only one click to show them, and scrolling through them all makes it hard for me to find the newest post, which is far more inconvienent then just clicking a couple times to see some images.
True, I figured as much. I've gone back and tagged all, or at least most, of the pictures on those pages. From here on I'll tag screenshots as they go up. It's less trouble for ya'll and for me (since I won't have to go back and spoiler tag them).

Remember those MotorStorm FLVs from a while back? Here they are, courtesy of Bruce, in 720p:

"Donor-cycle"

"Dune Buggy Damage"

"Mean Truckin'

Quote:
PS3's Genji uses HDD to quarter load times

Posted Oct 21st 2006 2:00AM by Christopher Grant
Filed under: Sony PlayStation 3

Spoiler:

Before jumping into Genji to deal some massive damage to historically accurate giant crabs (nyuk nyuk) during Sony's Gamer's Day event on Thursday, MTV News' Stephen Totilo noticed a curious menu option:

INSTALL

What's this all about? Totilo writes, "Also unexpected was a feature in Genji to install the game, committing 4GB of data from the game's Blu-ray disc to the PS3's hard drive -- a three-minute one-time-only procedure available from the game's start menu that a Sony rep said cuts down in-game load times from about 15 seconds to four seconds."

So, regardless of the debate about the relative read speeds of 2x Blu-ray drives and 12x DVD drives, we can all recognize the obvious benefits of having a hard drive included by default. Why Genji appears to be the only title sporting this option is another question. Did excessive load times in the PS3's first finished title necessitate extraordinary measures, or will most games offer this time-saving option, à la PC games.
Another article on the feature, and apparently, Mobile Suit Gundam is also another title that has this feature. 15 seconds isn't bad, but damn, 4 is just wild.

Spoiler:

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 22, 2006 at 11:00 AM.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:48 AM #1921 of 3592
and scrolling through them all makes it hard for me to find the newest post, which is far more inconvienent then just clicking a couple times to see some images.
you probably already know that but you can click on this little button before each thread that have new post and it take you right away to the newest post since your last visit (it even scroll the page down to the newest post >.>)

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:11 PM #1922 of 3592
For those of you interested in GT5, here's a repost of the GT:HD video linked to by Slayer as well as the TGS presentation of GT:HD/Premium by Kazunori Yamauchi. It's subtitled, so no worries.

GT:HD video (The Lotus Elise in this game looks gorgeous. I can't believe we have to wait until 2008 for GT5 proper.

TGS GT:HD/Premium presentation

Edit: Ah, more goodies for you GT fans out there. Logitech's got a new steering wheel launching with the PS3 in Japan. While a U.S. release date hasn't been announced, I'm sure there will be one soon after it hits the Japanese market.

Quote:
GT Force Set For PS3
Now if only they'd hurry up with Gran Turismo.
by IGN Staff

October 22, 2006 - Worried about having to control your PS3 launch racers with the Sixaxis controller? In Japan, racing fanatics will have a better option from day one thanks to Logitech (or, as the brand is known in Japan, Logicool).

Retailers in Japan have revealed that the GT Force RX steering wheel peripheral will hit the PS3 at launch. The peripheral will be retail for 9,980 yen and will be in shops on 11/11. Sadly, aside from this, we don't have any details on the wheel at this time.

Logitech has yet to announce a US version.
Source

In other news, downloading HD videos really does a number on my internet connection.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 22, 2006 at 12:30 PM.
Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:28 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2006, 10:28 AM #1923 of 3592
Originally Posted by Inhert
you probably already know that but you can click on this little button before each thread that have new post and it take you right away to the newest post since your last visit (it even scroll the page down to the newest post >.>)
Yeah, but that doesn't work to well when it's loading about 5000 images all at once, and the page just skips around randomly.

Those MotorStorm vids are nice, I think I'm finally convinced to get it now.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:33 PM #1924 of 3592
Yeah, but that doesn't work to well when it's loading about 5000 images all at once, and the page just skips around randomly.

Those MotorStorm vids are nice, I think I'm finally convinced to get it now.
Word is MotorStorm is a 2007 title, probably a European launch release. They're definitely going to have a very strong launch lineup over there. Don't fret though, because the Phil Harrison interview I posted had him confirm that MotorStorm would be one of game demos available for download on November 17th.

immp
Hortus Ortus Vinco

Member 584

Level 15.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:38 PM #1925 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
For those of you interested in GT5, here's a repost of the GT:HD video linked to by Slayer as well as the TGS presentation of GT:HD/Premium by Kazunori Yamauchi. It's subtitled, so no worries.

GT:HD video (The Lotus Elise in this game looks gorgeous. I can't believe we have to wait until 2008 for GT5 proper.

TGS GT:HD/Premium presentation

I think they forgot how shadows work though. The race track environment doesnt affect the lighting on the car =( Sure photorealistic mountains but I think I'd rather have shadows that are darkening the road you're driving on actually darken the car when it drives through them. It looks so weird. =/

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread