Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:57 AM #3176 of 3592
“Taking all of these things that everybody has come to expect for free and now yanking them back and trying to sell them isn’t going to fly with the Windows platform—not with Epic and not with the big publishers," -Mark Rein

Sure as hell doesn't sound like they're happy with the service either.

However all of this is beside the point that EPIC is NOT using the PC LIVE service and that PC & 360 players will not be able to play against one another. This is all I was really trying to get accross in the beginning. (however I am aware that I did get a bit sidetracked after the fact)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Slayer X; Jul 12, 2007 at 01:01 AM.
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 01:04 AM #3177 of 3592
“Taking all of these things that everybody has come to expect for free and now yanking them back and trying to sell them isn’t going to fly with the Windows platform—not with Epic and not with the big publishers," -Mark Rein

Sure as hell doesn't sound like they're happy with the service either.
Once again you forget to cite some certain quotes made by people who hold more power in EPIC and that were said in the same interview you are citing, hence this.

Quote:
“We’ll wholeheartedly jump onto Games for Windows [Live] if it evolved into the sort of system that’s compatible with gamers’ expectations on the PC platform,” Sweeney added.
Given that Sweeney holds more power in EPIC, then Reins. I would say his word also holds more clout.

However all of this is beside the point that EPIC is NOT using the PC LIVE service and that PC & 360 players will not be able to play against one another. This is all I was really trying to get accross in the beginning. (however I am aware that I did get a bit sidetracked after the fact)
Do you work for EPIC? if not, please STFU.You were the same dude who adamantly stated the 360 version of VF5 would not include onine play because you know the industry from the inside! But of course, a few months later, you're proven wrong. EPIC has not once ruled out utilizing the cross-platform online found via Live and you don't know if they'll utiliize it or not.

The PS3 version of UT3 is 4 months away and the 360 version is 6-7 months away which in terms of development changes and tweaks, that is ALOT of time.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Iwata; Jul 12, 2007 at 01:10 AM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 01:28 AM #3178 of 3592
We'll see, but EPIC wouldn't give up their reputaion and what sells the game, which is the community content. And by going with Windows LIVE they'd be doing just that.

Secondly they're not supporting Windows LIVE with Gears of War and seeing how the game and the UE3 each are setup for LIVE archetecture and Windows LIVE back end it would have been simple to have included the support seeing how everything was right there. Also no one expected Gears for the PC to have a huge modding support however EPIC chose not to go that route. Though you could also argue that they didn't have PC vs 360 support in the game, I don't think that it would have been much that a patch couldn't have fixed, but I don't know UE3 enough to say anything concrete.

As for the VF5 thing, I dought I would have based whether VF5 would have online or not based off my knoledge of the industry rather then the fact that online fighters don't work well, and the fact that VF5 is very timing based and not combo that lag would affect it more then something like DOA4.

However I would have said right after when they announced that they were basing the 360 version off of VF5 Version C with 360 exclusive hoar clothing for female characters that they were tailoring the game to sell in the NA market and NOT to be a solid fighting game overall and therefore would have had a higher possibility of online play.

However when I made the comment you are reffering to this was not the case and AM2 had only said that they were porting the PS3 game to the 360 and nothing more, therefore implying that they were sticking to their age old customs, which did not turn out to be the case.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Slayer X; Jul 12, 2007 at 01:36 AM.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 01:33 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2007, 07:33 AM #3179 of 3592
Also It is cool the PS3 gets UT3 as a timed exclusive, sadly it is most likely only a 2-3 month exclusive deal and i'm sure the 360 version will have things the PS3 won't like connectivity/online play with windows users.
Yeah, that's pretty much a freaking joke. Everyone's like OMG EXCLUSIVE but I bet after two or three months, there you go with exclusive. Seriously, Sony has to be aware that too many "non-exclusive" blockbuster games (I am thinking about GTA IV for example) are not really good for their sales figures. Also, they are pissing PS3 owners off, no question about that.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 01:46 AM #3180 of 3592
Yeah, that's pretty much a freaking joke. Everyone's like OMG EXCLUSIVE but I bet after two or three months, there you go with exclusive. Seriously, Sony has to be aware that too many "non-exclusive" blockbuster games (I am thinking about GTA IV for example) are not really good for their sales figures. Also, they are pissing PS3 owners off, no question about that.
Most of it is Sony's fault. They were offered both Assassin's creed and GTAIV as exclusives if they were willing to fork over some cash for the rights. But Sony basically laughed at em and look how bad it has hurt the PS3 for doing So.

Luckily, this conference was a flashback to the glory days of Sony and it seems they've finally shedded their " holier-then-thou" attitude that has been their undoing the past year and have reverted back to their old kickass self.

Sadly, though the PS3 has the rest of 07 lost to Microsoft and Nintendo. Hopefully though they are planning alot of great stuff for 08, as that is the time frame that is really gonna make or break the PS3. Admittingly, i prefer my 360, but i don't want the PS3 to fail at all as i forked over 600 bucks for one and i don't want it to be a waste of my money.

At least Heavenly Sword comes out soon which IMO was the best game presented at the conference. It looks fantastic.

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 01:48 AM #3181 of 3592
-Afrika
-Angel Rings
-Eight days
-EyeDentify
-Fifth Phantom Saga
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Final Fantasy Versus XIII
-Folks Soul
-Formula One
-Full Auto 2: Battlelines
-Genji: Days of the Blade
-God of War 3
-Gradius
-Grand Turismo 5
-Haze
-Heavenly Sword
-Hot Shots Golf 5
-Infamous
-Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
-Killzone 2
-Lair
-Little Big Planet
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam World
-Monster Hunter 3
-Motor Storm
-My Singstar
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma
-Ni-Oh
-Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
-Redwood Falls
-Resistance: Rise of Man
-Ridge Racer 7
-Shin Megami Tensei
-Socom 4
-Tekken 6
-The Eye of Judgment
-The Getaway
-Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
-Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
-WarDevil Enigma
-Warhawk
-White Knight Story
-Wipeout

That's funny because I count about 15-20 if these exclusive "blockbusters", guess your list is out of date.

UPDATE
I agree with Iwata that Sony's not going to gain any ground this year. A few big titles like Lair and HS to keep early adopters happy and then the game machiene will be running long and hard starting early next year when MS and Nintendo won't have many heavy hitters left.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Slayer X; Jul 12, 2007 at 01:54 AM.
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 01:50 AM #3182 of 3592
I think Mush was referring to games that ya know are going to be released soon and aren't a year or two away from even seeing the light of day. Alot can change within a year or twos time regarding exclusive rights and what not. Also, lets do a little nitpicking.

-Full Auto 2: Battlelines
- Genji: Days of the Blade
- Hot Shots Golf 5
- Ridge Racer 7
-Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

Not one of those games could be classified as blockbuster hits.

Plus, nice job interjecting games like " God of War 3" and "Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier" that haven't even been annouced yet. I mean if wanted to i could come up with a list of 360 exclusives that is twice as big as that list as speculation is always a " vital " tool at gauging the truth.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Iwata; Jul 12, 2007 at 01:55 AM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 01:54 AM 1 #3183 of 3592
Ah... got ya.

The window he was working in wasn't very clear. But yeah... I'm going to bed now...

EDIT
None of thoes were included in my 15 - 20 count though. That was just my PS3 exclusive list.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Slayer X; Jul 12, 2007 at 02:07 AM.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 09:55 AM #3184 of 3592
Lair, Heavenly Sword, and Folklore will be coming out within the next couple of months and that makes me happy. Along with Home betas and Warhawk? Shiet.

I made #psnetwork on Xelium for us PS3 owners, so come visit.

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:33 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2007, 08:33 AM #3185 of 3592
I'm not too sure about Folklore, as it didnt sell to well in Japan. But from the new gameplay videos of Heavenly Sword, I can tell this is gonna be the first PS3 game that's gonna be worthwhile. Very God of War like, cept you're playing as a chick and has some of the best facial animation ever, along with hot next gen graphics. (Which Folklore lacks a little, its good looking, but not GREAT looking.)

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/1679.html

Its not gonna make me get the PS3 right away, but good to know some good games are coming.

How ya doing, buddy?

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 06:25 PM #3186 of 3592
I'm not too sure about Folklore, as it didnt sell to well in Japan. But from the new gameplay videos of Heavenly Sword, I can tell this is gonna be the first PS3 game that's gonna be worthwhile. Very God of War like, cept you're playing as a chick and has some of the best facial animation ever, along with hot next gen graphics. (Which Folklore lacks a little, its good looking, but not GREAT looking.)

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/1679.html

Its not gonna make me get the PS3 right away, but good to know some good games are coming.
I played the Folklore demo. It will be excellent. Maybe not epic like Lair or Heavenly Sword, but it will be worth a purchase.

Most amazing jew boots
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 01:21 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 07:21 AM #3187 of 3592
Wow there are awesome super astounding flabbergasting trailers available in the European PSN store like a game about bowling and a game about skiing (rolleyes)

Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 02:37 AM #3188 of 3592
One game from a company with a bad programming habit record does this and you expect it to become common practice, wut?

Also slow BR drive? Hope you realize only about 20% of the data on a DVD9 can be read at max speed and for reference roughly only 25% of the data on the Xbox 360 drive can be read faster than the PS3 blu-ray drive can transfer at. When reading the outer edge of the first layer the XBox DVD drive transfers at a lower rate than the PS3 blu-ray drive and the second layer of the DVD-9 just gets worse. The PS3 blu-ray drive transfers data roughly twice as fast as a 12x DVD drive reading from the second layer of a DVD9. Oh and the XBox 360 development standard requires the API data to be present in that first 25% which is generally most of it that space. Actual game data sits on parts of the disc that all read slower than the PS3 Blu-Ray drive does.

Also that Kilzone 2 trailer is impressive. I honestly didn't think they could get it that close to the E3 trailer from last year. This game also has a long way to go in development so further improvements all around should be expected.
Yet neither drive saved us from... the loading tragedy of Sonic the Hedgehog! for fun get the demo of Star Trek Legacy for Xbox 360... it's even worst when it comes to loading...

Most amazing jew boots
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 04:05 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 03:05 AM #3189 of 3592
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

Ahahahahahahahaha. WHAT.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Jul 13, 2007 at 04:12 AM.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 05:46 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 12:46 PM #3190 of 3592
I can only assume that the SCEE guy doesn't know what he's talking about, as usual (he said that Europe would get PS3 before USA), though on the other hand it's possible that this is true, and Sony have simply decided that E3 wasn't a big enough failure for them this year, and they need to make a dick move like this to keep up the reputation.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:09 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 11:09 AM #3191 of 3592
Don't be so sure.

Kaz confirms it, albeit it another langauge.

The translation is "We don't produce the 60 GB model for the American marked anymore, so when they are outsold, we are only left with the $599 model. We do not want a divided price strategy for the American audience, and we quickly found out that the American consumers do not want two different models."

I mean, it's obvious what they're doing. The 80 gig unit will be cheaper to produce for them, so they'll take less of a loss on it. What they should have done is just phased the damn thing out, and just replaced with the 80 gig unit when 60 gig units sell out, claiming it as a value add or something. This temporary price drop might move the last of the 60s a bit faster, but after hyping the shit out of a price drop only to stop selling it later is just gonna backfire.

Doing it like this just makes them look like the bad guy.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Jul 13, 2007 at 12:41 PM.
Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:20 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 07:20 PM #3192 of 3592
What?

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:23 PM #3193 of 3592
yeah this is totally stupid... I was happy that now the ps3 was the same price has the elite here in Canada. I was hoping that it could boost sell. But in the end the ps3 will still be 600$ but with a game in bundle... it's lame. In another way the xbox here is almost the same price has the launch but just bundle with 1 or 2 games, yes 2 free games is good but if you don't give a damn about those titles it still pricey...

I really fear about the ps3 not because Sony really doesn't know a damn about what they're doing with it...

I still hope that it's fake though XD

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:32 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 07:32 PM #3194 of 3592
There's a (slim?) chance that they plan to stop producing the 60 GB version and make the 80 GB one cost 499$, but can't announce it like that, because then people would simply not buy the 60 GB PS3, and wait for the 80 GB version instead.

I mean, it's either that, or some people at Sony are completely fucked in the head. Either is a valid possibility.

How ya doing, buddy?
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:34 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 12:34 PM #3195 of 3592
I was always under the impression that they were going to exhaust their 60gb stock, and then simply drop the 80gb model down to the $499 price tag.

Wouldn't that make most sense?

EDIT:
Shit. Aardark basically said what I said :/.

Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:37 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 07:37 PM #3196 of 3592
It would, but first of all, it's Sony (their logic is sometimes 'different'), and secondly, I personally think the 80 GB model doesn't make much sense in the first place. Fuck am I going to do with 20 extra gigs? If I plan to download a lot of shit, I'm going to replace it with something like a 250 GB laptop drive anyway; if not, 60 GB is plenty.

Most amazing jew boots
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:41 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 11:41 AM #3197 of 3592
Yeah, I changed the wording because that didn't make sense, by bad.

Anyway, to elaborate, looks like DEVELOPMENTS~~

Yeehaw, PR a-go-go

"As announced this week, SCEA's product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August at $599 and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We have will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of our consumers for the foreseeable future."

Okayyyyyy, so in the article they don't once deny that they have stopped production on the 60s. In fact, all that seems to be saying is "Yeah, we have a bunch of 60s left, we won't run out for a few months." Does that mean that 60s will eventually go poof in January? March? Summer next year? Who knows? There's also reason to believe the 80 gig could drop to 499 later. Could. I dunno if it WILL, but it could. In fact, it damn well better.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Jul 13, 2007 at 12:51 PM.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 02:02 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 11:02 AM #3198 of 3592
Alright, I pretty much give up on Sony. They really are far too detached from the consumer desires right now. Consumers want a cheaper PS3, not more packed in shit for the same price.

I mean, unless they plan on just replacing the 60GB units later on and selling those for $499 and the Motorstorm bundle for $599, this doesn't make much sense...though that doesn't make much sense either since you'd basically be paying $100 for a game.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Cetra; Jul 13, 2007 at 02:08 PM.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 02:13 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 08:13 PM #3199 of 3592
Ah don't worry guys. Give them the time they need. In autumn, when the "good" games are coming, you'll see that nobody's gonna talk about the mistakes they made anymore. They just need a good advertising campaign like bundle products (PS3+GTA IV for instance), then they gonna sell their consoles. It was the same with PlayStation 2.

Most amazing jew boots
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 02:18 PM #3200 of 3592
Going a bit off the PS3 pricing here a bit, so apparently a Silent Hill 5 trailer has popped up. Insider only download at IGN. I needs me a link man. I wanna see that beauty in action. Anyone got a link handy to the trailer? My E3 folder needs to be fed!

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread